PDA

View Full Version : woo-hoo! never thought I'd say that about trainer time.

thwart
08-08-2015, 06:16 PM
The first time my butt's been on a saddle in almost 3 wks. For that matter, my first 'exercise' since July 20.

OK, it was on my city bike with upright bars... and it was only 45 min... and yes, I needed a step-stool to get on the bike...

But it felt damn good. :banana:

Until I pushed it just a bit (got a little carried away watching the climbing finish of stage 6 of the Tour of Utah). Sweating inside a CTLSO (full torso and neck) brace is... ah... um... unpleasant. :D

weisan
08-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Do you have any pictures?

Good job thwart pal, baby steps.

zmudshark
08-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Echo the 'good job, baby steps'.

thwart
08-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Do you have any pictures?

Well, maybe not a good idea right around the supper hour... ;)

shovelhd
08-08-2015, 08:32 PM
You rode the trainer with that rig on? Big kudos to you.

blessthismess
08-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Congrats! Take your time and enjoy what you can. Pace yourself. A slow complete recovery is a lot better than a quick one with lasting complications.

:beer:

stephenmarklay
08-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Great job.

JAllen
08-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Awesome job buddy! Take 'er easy so you don't get hurt or upset anything.

dpk501
08-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Sweet! That sensation is a good one! Glad you're riding and keep up the good attitude.

oliver1850
08-09-2015, 10:35 AM
I've been wondering how you were getting along. How long do you stay in the brace?

thwart
08-09-2015, 11:10 AM
How long do you stay in the brace?

The neurosurgeons say 8 to 12 weeks depending on X-ray results demonstrating healing; tomorrow marks 3 weeks.

Not that I'm keeping track... :D

I'm actually doing OK. I have some borderline claustrophobia, so I was kinda worried about being 'encased' 24/7, but I'm tolerating it.

Not that I have any other options here... :rolleyes:

Ti Designs
08-09-2015, 07:33 PM
In my collection of Cinelli stems there was one that said "you know how to do this" on top. That was the stem on my bike I used after my back injury. It was a long, hard process, I had to remind myself what being fit and fast was like or I would have never survived it. Two years ago one of my riders crashed and was out for at least the season. Having worked with her for hundreds of hours, it felt the same as my own injury. I gave her that stem - not that it fit on her bike, but just as a reminder that others have been there before.

It isn't easy, but it's so worth it...

thwart
08-09-2015, 09:41 PM
It isn't easy, but it's so worth it...
Thanks for the thoughts.

And you are so right.

oliver1850
08-09-2015, 11:29 PM
3 weeks already? Doesn't seem that long to me. Hope that helps. :beer:

I assume the docs have ruled out any medical condition as cause for the crash. I'd say take up mountain biking except for the fact that I went over the bars Friday in a place where no one would have found me for weeks if I hadn't been able to walk out.

thwart
08-10-2015, 07:46 AM
It doesn't seem to have been caused by a medical problem, which is reassuring.

This accident really freaked out my lovely wife.

At this point she would have me riding only on bike paths. That, and downsizing to only one bike. :eek: Unfortunately in this area, pretty much all the bike paths are abandoned railroad right-of-ways; most are flat as a pancake. And some are, IMO, just about as interesting to ride.

Given that we live in arguably one of the best cycling areas in the nation, I'm not quite ready to give up riding on the road. Cycling has allowed me to get in the best shape of my life and I really love doing it, therefore of course I'm not looking for any drastic change.

There is no doubt riding the road is more dangerous than using bike paths. Along that line see my post about mirrors; a daytime rear light is also in the works. And likely fewer solo rides.

The good news/bad news is that it appears I have quite a few weeks to work on lobbying...

SpeedyChix
08-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Congrats on beginning your return and "hopping" on the trainer.

oliver1850
08-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't want to stop riding on the road either. I hope the negotiations go well.