PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out in western Nebraska?

etu
08-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Visiting in-laws for a week in Scottsbluff. Anyone around in this area interested in going for a ride? Gravel or road works for me!

Tickdoc
08-08-2015, 06:38 PM
I drive through western Nebraska each October to hunt pheasant in SD....there is no one there, I'm afraid.:eek:

Rudy
08-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Good Mexican food, though.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2007/09/plainsdandy.html

etu
08-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Good Mexican food, though.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2007/09/plainsdandy.html

Yet another reason to get some riding done!

thirdgenbird
08-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Cool area out there.

Chris
08-08-2015, 08:51 PM
No. Literally. No.

likebikes
08-09-2015, 02:02 AM
No. Literally. No.

yeah, this.

my advice is to check out the stars. never seen the stars so awesome as in the rural plains states.

RFC
08-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I have done a great deal of riding -- both road and gravel -- from my brother-in-law's ranch outside of Alliance. Take you pick and just ask at a local bike store. See if there is a back way to the Wild Cat Hills. You might just spot a few Big Horns. Really, it can be excellent riding, even on the highways, which have wide concrete shoulders. The wind can be another thing. Get out early.

Tickdoc
08-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I took this pic in June on my Yellowstone road trip. This is somewhere between Colorado and Wyoming..i25 maybe?....I was admiring the pronghorn and 80mph speed limits when I noticed this hard-core, hard-working group going from one middle of nowhere place to another.

The bike shop idea is great. You can also search map ride/Strava maps to see where others go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/F37B45EB-E0DE-4998-B57B-76FC53DF8A97_zpsjczhinv8.jpg

thirdgenbird
08-09-2015, 12:25 PM
No. Literally. No.

I've been of gravel/dirt roads out in that area of that state the would be great for riding. Beautiful, no traffic, wildlife that isn't afraid of human presence. One one trip, I was on a "driveway" that took 10min or more to navigate by truck. There were trees, a creek crossing and at one point, I had to stop my truck and wait for about 30 pheasants to cross the road. Like mentioned above, the night sky is also a sight to behold.

etu
08-09-2015, 06:05 PM
I agree the riding is great out here. Last couple of years, I've been doing gravel riding. Only downside are those farm dogs!:eek:
Last year, I actually got to do a four day touring trip from Black Hills, SD to NE, passing by Alliance.
Was hoping to hook up with a paceliner in the area... Oh well.

peanutgallery
08-09-2015, 08:41 PM
In a word, the answer to your question is no

Nebraska...the good life. I grew up in a little town a mere 2 hours west of Omaha - folks in the western part of Nebraska consider that to be like Rhode Island:) Beautiful area, riding will be a solo experience, not a very big population out that way. As others have stated, its windy. Did I mention the wind?

The people are great and the nature thing is off the charts, take a moment to enjoy it. Word of caution, - keep in mind that "Go Big Red" has several meanings for Nebraskans. Its a greeting, a cheer, a good bye, a pick up line and a term of endearment. Choose your inflection wisely and get one of these to fit in and skirt those pesky carry on rules

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e624806825d36678f88c873cc548f96f/tumblr_mjmwxiZPSp1s6ao7po1_400.jpg

PS: Have a great trip. Do not mention 9 wins a season, poor offensive line play, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Bill Callahan or the forward pass. Someone's grandmother could get a little confrontational with you. Seriously:)

Louis
08-09-2015, 09:07 PM
About 20 years ago my sister decided that she wanted to visit the Willa Cather museum in Red Cloud, Nebraska (which is south of Grand Island, just north of the Kansas border) so we turned it into a bit of a family vacation. We drove west into central Kansas then headed north.

As we went through I realized that the area near the Nebraska / Kansas border (at least at that longitude) would be perfect for cycling - gentle rolling hills, beautiful scenery and very little traffic.