PDA

View Full Version : Rolfing ?

parco
08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Anyone here ever try Rolfing? . I have a friend who is a competitive weight lifter and he swears by it. Anyone here try it and experience any benefits?

kramnnim
08-08-2015, 04:08 PM
I have some Rolf wheels, does that count?

I guess I should Bing it.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolfing

I have some island property for sale real cheap, great for Rolfing, PM if interested.

kgreene10
08-08-2015, 04:23 PM
I signed up for a series last year but the practitioner didn't show to two appointments and I bagged it. Before signing up, I called around to various practitioners in town and this person seemed like the most professional. I obviously can't comment on the treatment but I was intrigued enough to consider it. Please let us know how it goes.

makoti
08-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Yes. It hurts like hell. Afterwards, it was the most relaxed I ever felt. I had a major laughing fit right at the end, which the Rolfer told me is common (or you cry. About 50/50. Release of tension does it).
I didn't do any more than one session, so I didn't get the full benefit, I imagine. Simply couldn't afford it. It's like deep muscle massage, but way, way deeper. Did help the back problem I went in for for about a month. Perhaps with more sessions it would have helped long term.

toytech
08-08-2015, 04:55 PM
90 minute deep tissue massage (rolfing) completely freed up back spasm so bad it dislocated a rib. 6 physical therapy visits did not even make a dent. A good deep tissue massage is almost a form of magic. :beer:

Mikej
08-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I did the whole 10 sessions 6 years ago- it was ok but not enlightening or anything-is there a specific problem? Rolfing is not a it hurts here type of a body work, they want to balance you and stuff.

Tommasini53
08-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I went through the 10 series 25 years ago. And it was beneficial. Yeah, it is a very intense massage so if deep tissue work bothers you then you probably would not like Rolfing. I liked the results of Rolfing,it helped repair some injuries. I had a couple "tune up" sessions recently.

Tickdoc
08-08-2015, 09:39 PM
Had my legs rolfed through physical therapy recovery on my knee years ago and yowza is it not fun but it helps. Juices the heck out of your muscles/fascia.

Now I do massage with mashing, some resistance stretching, Thai massage, and some German technique that the name escapes me.

Thai is the best, but mashing gives the best results, for me at least.

I feel like a kid bouncing through a field of daisies after a good session.

parco
08-08-2015, 11:44 PM
My weight lifter friend and I were talking about his experience with Rolfing. He said that it helped him in many ways but he went primarily because he had heard that afterwords he would be able to lift more weight. (Not because it makes you stronger but because of increased flexibility). Yoga has helped me tremendously in returning to fitness after laying off in Winter so I was curious if anyone had experienced benefits to their cycling.

oldpotatoe
08-09-2015, 06:32 AM
Anyone here ever try Rolfing? . I have a friend who is a competitive weight lifter and he swears by it. Anyone here try it and experience any benefits?

I went through the 10 session program, traded bike stuff and work for it. Guy was a retired boxer, hurt like hell, but it 'hurt so good'. Worse was working on that dent at the base of your neck and inside nose. Felt better, stood straighter, rode better. Somebody mentioned 'release of tension'..one session I cried like a 8 year old girl, guy wasn't even touching me..still don't know why.

Climb01742
08-09-2015, 06:45 AM
For me, Rolfing has been the single most effective sports medicine/physical therapy modality I've done (and I've tried 'em all.) It does hurt. A lot. Like having your entire body rearranged one cell at a time. But done right, it's incredible. A few thoughts:

Your results depend completely on the skill of the Rolfer. It's like anything. A lousy mechanic can't fix your car. But that doesn't mean all mechanics are lousy. Find a really good Rolfer.

Commit to the full 10 sessions. Each session builds on the previous ones and targets different things.

Expect to have emotions or memories triggered. Lots of stuff locked in our bodies.

The Rolfer I went to was a cyclist, a former racer. He really understood what cycling does to your body. Try to find an athletic oriented Rolfer.

It's painful and expensive, but for me anyway, it really truly changed some very old injuries and body imbalances and limitations.

rockdude
08-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I think a better bang for your buck is Muscle Activation Technique. Hoards of professional athletes are doing it now with some remarkable results. Payton Manning claimed MAT allowed him to extend his career after his debilitating neck injury. I know some of the PRO cycling teams are bring on MAT practitioners to work on the riders every day during big races.

twangston73
08-09-2015, 07:03 PM
I have not been through the 10 session intro, but have seen a rolfer for a variety of minor problems; I am skeptical by nature but have to admit that it did me good (or at least I think it did!). You will probably feel like you walk and move differently - it is pretty amazing. It can really hurt, though.

Steve in SLO
08-09-2015, 10:55 PM
For those who have been through the full 10 sessions, how long lasting are the effects?
I guess what I'm asking is this is a once every 5 year, 10 year, or longer treatment?

kgreene10
08-09-2015, 11:04 PM
I think a better bang for your buck is Muscle Activation Technique. Hoards of professional athletes are doing it now with some remarkable results. Payton Manning claimed MAT allowed him to extend his career after his debilitating neck injury. I know some of the PRO cycling teams are bring on MAT practitioners to work on the riders every day during big races.

Sounds interesting. Have you done MAT?

Climb01742
08-10-2015, 06:53 AM
For those who have been through the full 10 sessions, how long lasting are the effects?
I guess what I'm asking is this is a once every 5 year, 10 year, or longer treatment?

It's hard to give an all-encompassing answer. It depends in part on how messed up your body is, how deep seated some of the issues are. For me, it's been 6 or 7 years since my last sessions. I'd estimate that at least half of the improvements have been permanent. Maybe another quarter have gotten better. And maybe a last quarter have been mitigated but still flare up, mostly because I keep doing the activities that aggravate the body part, i.e. I keep cycling!:rolleyes: As I said earlier, nothing has ever helped me more.

I would draw an important distinction between Rolfing and something like A.R.T. (Active Release Technique) and other similar treatments. I found a great A.R.T. guy and for symptoms and temporary relief, it was very effective. But it is a treatment for symptoms, not causes. A.R.T. got me through two Mt. Washington races, got me through to the start lines after trashing my body in training. So that was good, but the underlying issues remained. Rolfing gets at the deep causes, the root injuries and adaptations your body has gone through over years, often decades. Both levels of work help. The difference, I think, lies in how long and deeply the benefits last. One reason Rolfing often triggers such emotional reactions is the deep level it is impacting your body. My sessions triggered memories that were deep, vivid, and at moments, overpowering. Not to get too touchy feely but part of what makes Rolfing so effective is a person's willingness to embrace this mind/body/emotion connection and go with it to see what's buried in the places in our bodies that hurt. There's more there than a sore muscle. I'll return to planet Earth now.:beer:

MattTuck
08-10-2015, 07:14 AM
I've been to a Rolfer a couple times, but not done the full 10 session course of treatment.

I'd say that she was very good, gave me some pointers (told me that I should be stretching more and doing jump rope) and worked on some areas that were bothering me.

In that way, she was less of a Rolfer, and more of a very deep tissue massage therapist. I don't have the money to do the full 10 sessions, but I did think the sessions I did were a better value than traditional massage therapy.

One other thing to add. I lump rolfers in with chiropractors in the 'hammer' category. Meaning, that every problem they see is a nail, and they are going to hit it with their hammer. This can work wonderfully if the root/cause of your problem is actually something that they can resolve.

fuzzalow
08-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Not to get too touchy feely but part of what makes Rolfing so effective is a person's willingness to embrace this mind/body/emotion connection and go with it to see what's buried in the places in our bodies that hurt. There's more there than a sore muscle. I'll return to planet Earth now.:beer:

That is most interesting and strangely compelling to the human experience that it seems like a way to keep one's head screwed on straight if not just as physical therapy. I'd have no reason the disbelieve you on this. Lotta complexities in life that have no doubt found harbors of denial in mutiple tiers inside our bodies. I will look into this not motivated in fixing physical hurt but by liberating life force equilibrium.

Brings to mind either Dylan or The Band's rendition of "I Shall Be Released" which seems like the wrong metaphor of prison but that's almost too obvious for Dylan so that means the song is not a narrative but an allegory.

rockdude
08-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Sounds interesting. Have you done MAT?

Ya, anytime I have an any issues I go for a session and also before All my A races. For me, my issues are resolved in one or two sessions. The person I go to works on one of the best Triathletes in the world and one of the top open water swimmers in the world. she does Pretty amazing stuff. I think whats different from other forms of treatment and what makes it successful is they go for the cause of the pain and not necessary where the pain is at. I get a tight back and that's one of the reasons I go but she never works on the back. she typically finds weakness in my hip flexers or hamstrings. After she works on them my back pain is gone. I am sold on it.

cnighbor1
08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
http://www.n8chiropractic.com/
Rolfing now has a cetrification process and a new name
I use Dr. Stefan Cohen who uses it He has been a holistic health practitioner for over 20 years, and a holistic-based sports chiropractor since 2000. He is the founder and co-director of Innate Chiropractic Wellness Studio in Albany, with his wife Debbie Gilman, a seasoned Iyengar-based yoga teacher. They are proud to have celebrated their 10th year at this location in August 2014.

Dr. Cohen is passionate about finding the cause of imbalance and correcting it at its root, the results being optimal health and peak performance. He is well versed in the state-of-the-art modalities in his field. He is a certified practitioner of many advanced techniques including ART (Active Release Technique, full body certified), FAKTR (Functional and Kinetic Treatment with Rehab), Functional Movement Taping (Rocktape certified), and Applied Kinesiology (AK). He is also well versed in NET (Neuroemotional Technique), a mind-body system that effectively addresses emotional physiology and its effects on all aspects of health.

Dr. Cohen has partnered over the years with numerous local gyms and companies including Clif Bar Corporate, The Working Body, All In One Fitness and Sobe Kick. He has also volunteered at numerous sporting events including the Lake Tahoe Ironman, the Norcal Crossfit Regionals, Team In Training clinics, and most recently as a trainer for the SF Flamethrowers (San Francisco痴 very own pro Ultimate team).

Dr. Cohen is also a professional-level Jazz Saxophonist, and enjoys helping musicians of all levels with their specific instrument-related issues. He is currently a member of GVO, Clif Bar痴 very own 12 piece soul band which won the 2012 Fortune Magazine痴 Battle of the Corporate Bands at the Rock 鮮 Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland!

Steve in SLO
08-10-2015, 03:46 PM
http://www.n8chiropractic.com/
Rolfing now has a cetrification process and a new name
What is the new name? Did I miss it?

Birddog
08-10-2015, 07:19 PM
What is the new name? Did I miss it?

Hurling?

makoti
08-10-2015, 07:27 PM

When I did my one session (so I'm not really answering your question), I was told that it was a one time thing BUT you could do it with gaps of even years in between sessions. Sounded odd, but that's what I was told.