PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars for Campy 11

JMacII
08-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Cracked my old carbon (Deda Electa) bars and need to replace. Wouldn't mind something with a little shorter reach (dedas were 84mm). What I really like about the Deda bars was the nice ovalized tops. Very comfortable in the hand. The new Thomson bars look good. Has anyone tried with Campy hoods? Would like a smooth transition. I'd be open to alloy bars if I can get the ovalized section on top. But I feel like carbon really does damp vibes in bars.

dpk501
08-08-2015, 02:31 PM
stay away from 3t ergonova. Enve all the way!

teleguy57
08-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Have the KFCs with C11 and like them a lot.

Duende
08-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Another vote for Enve. Perfect with my R11

velomonkey
08-08-2015, 02:55 PM
Can't speak to Enve, though they look good, I'm on Deda Zero 100 - works like a champ with 11 speed.

JMacII
08-08-2015, 02:59 PM
Can't speak to Enve, though they look good, I'm on Deda Zero 100 - works like a champ with 11 speed.

Heard good things about the zero 100. Is it shaped at all on the tops?

zap
08-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Thomson road bars works well with my SR11 hoods. I have the brake hoods installed per campy instructions.

I had Zipp SL carbon bars when I initially built the bike. Didn't like it. The hoods were canted a bit far back so I never got comfortable when tempoing on the flats with forearms level and hands on the tops of the hoods. The hands were bent to far back.

The Zipp bars were also soft when going hard.

Garbage.

Installed the Thomson last year and still very much liking the setup.

PS. The added bonus is that the Thomson bars have another cm drop over the Zipps. I don't understand shallow bars.

velomonkey
08-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Heard good things about the zero 100. Is it shaped at all on the tops?

You mean like flat on the tops or something? No, it's the same glorious shape throughout. Really like them and they look nice and can found for not too much.

Deda cockpits are just solid - I've played around with a lot and keep coming back to Deda and Zero 100 just works.

djdj
08-08-2015, 04:02 PM
I have used the Williams carbon bars for the past year plus, with both 10 and 11 Campag. Great flat transition to the hoods. And relatively inexpensive and light.

sfscott
08-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Why the negative on the 3t?

JMacII
08-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Thomson road bars works well with my SR11 hoods. I have the brake hoods installed per campy instructions.

Could you possibly post a pic? Of both the transition to the SR11 hoods and also the tops? Thompson just doesn't have a great photo on their web page. Thanks!

ceolwulf
08-08-2015, 08:11 PM
I have used the Williams carbon bars for the past year plus, with both 10 and 11 Campag. Great flat transition to the hoods. And relatively inexpensive and light.

How is the stiffness on these?

I have Williams TT bars which I really like so have been looking at these for my road bike.

thwart
08-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Good article on this... yeah, from a few yrs ago, but not much has changed.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/11/bikes-and-tech/reviews/a-few-of-nick-legans-favorite-things-handlebars_197289

Avincent52
08-08-2015, 09:07 PM
I really like the alloy 3T bars. I bought a pair of 3t Rotundos which are just nice and old school. A seller tossed in a set of Ergosums, which have a similar top but a "compact" but not ergo drops and I found I liked them better.

Heard good things about the Deda Newton Shallow, too. I think Campy b-rifters deserve classic bars.

djdj
08-09-2015, 06:00 AM
How is the stiffness on these?

I have Williams TT bars which I really like so have been looking at these for my road bike.

I'm not a power guy, but they seem to be stiff enough to me.

SeanScott
08-09-2015, 08:55 AM
I just bought a pair of the Electas with campy 11 and love the wide part for resting my palms and also just as a grip.

How about the Deda Campione? They are so beautiful.

JMacII
08-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Thomson bars on order. LBS matched online pricing and will install for me. Sweet. Will report back.

ajhapps
08-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I'm about to install some Enve compacts... liking the shape, and looking forward to the tops, which are hopefully more comfy than my round FSA bars.

ntb1001
08-10-2015, 08:36 PM
I use 3T ergosums and campy record 11 eps...really like them.

Vamoots58
08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
stay away from 3t ergonova. Enve all the way!

Bars are like saddles, in that fit and comfort are very personal things that often are often very different rider to rider. I have 3T Ergonovas on three bikes (all Campy 11), and wouldn't use anything else. Tried the Enve Compacts, sold them after two rides.

Brian Cdn
08-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Agree with the OP. Bars are like saddles and bibshorts. Very personal, as to fit based on body and hands of the rider.

I'm a fan of the Zipp SL SS. They work well for me.

If someone out there doesn't like their Zipp SL's, feel free to send them my way. :)

fuzzalow
08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Deda for any of their named bars that do the Italian shallow bend a la the venerable Cinelli Mod. 64 Giro d'Italia bars.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6_mgO7_TH1I/UF-JJrntHjI/AAAAAAAAAIM/a5RyFUnxl5g/s720-Ic42/Peg-Trim_HT.jpg

That these bends are not a straight, level shot into the brake hoods should be not much of a concern. Bars are not weight bearing devices. Get the weight off your hands and into the pedal stroke where it belongs. Nice light touch on the bars results and as a bonus you will actually feel the response and handling of the bike through your fingertips. Yes, bars can be very personal as to likes and dislikes. But what I just commented on here is universal to the proper result to fit & ride a drop handlebar bike for sporting or competitive pursuits.

FlashUNC
08-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Ritchey WCS NeoClassics. Nice round bend.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/406/18943548114_6ae51591ef_b.jpg

JMacII
08-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Deda for any of their named bars that do the Italian shallow bend a la the venerable Cinelli Mod. 64 Giro d'Italia bars.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6_mgO7_TH1I/UF-JJrntHjI/AAAAAAAAAIM/a5RyFUnxl5g/s720-Ic42/Peg-Trim_HT.jpg

That these bends are not a straight, level shot into the brake hoods should be not much of a concern. Bars are not weight bearing devices. Get the weight off your hands and into the pedal stroke where it belongs. Nice light touch on the bars results and as a bonus you will actually feel the response and handling of the bike through your fingertips. Yes, bars can be very personal as to likes and dislikes. But what I just commented on here is universal to the proper result to fit & ride a drop handlebar bike for sporting or competitive pursuits.

I guess it is personal. I don't think I would like that position at all. I feel like I'm light on my hands, but that position looks (to me) like you're diving over the bars. Bear in mind I'm riding a 63cm frame so there may be some proportional issues at play. For me, I like to move my hands from tops to hoods without increasing the drop...

fuzzalow
08-11-2015, 11:04 AM
I guess it is personal. I don't think I would like that position at all. I feel like I'm light on my hands, but that position looks (to me) like you're diving over the bars. Bear in mind I'm riding a 63cm frame so there may be some proportional issues at play. For me, I like to move my hands from tops to hoods without increasing the drop...

63cm huh? This forum has a whole lotta tall people! Disregard those comments from that Lilliputian!

Yeah, it's personal to some degree so you gotta use what works for you. No disagreement there.

I will say that to Campagnolo's credit, or detriment depending on where you like to put your brake levers, they are stubborn in their ergonomic layout when it comes to the design location of the mouse ears/upshift lever. Those mouse ears cannot be used easily, if at all, from the drops of the bars if the hoods are cranked all the way back to stick up from the dropbars like some riders do to make it easier to ride the hoods. Those Campy levers are meant to be run down low in the hooks in the way of Gimondi, Bartoli and Cancellara! The spirit of Tullio compels you to ride as Italian panache demands!

Do the setup that works best for you, there is no right or wrong, there is only you. All done in service of the ride.