PDA

View Full Version : Sworks Tarmac or Giant TCR or Pinarello F8

dpk501
08-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new frame to add to the n+1 stable.

Since a milestone birthday is coming up, I'm going to say screw retirement and buy a new frame.

What are some of the good and bad experiences you've had with these bikes?

ColnagoFan
08-08-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new frame to add to the n+1 stable.

Since a milestone birthday is coming up, I'm going to say screw retirement and buy a new frame.

What are some of the good and bad experiences you've had with these bikes?

Dogma. Or C60. Bucket list frames. The others are forgetable. S Works is a great ride, but the Pina would be that one tick higher. The "goes to 11" thing.
One amazing bike. Kitted to the nines. That's what I'd do.

Climb01742
08-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Of the three you mention, I'd go for the Giant. I was impressed when I rode one a few years ago. And for what it's worth, only Giant makes their own carbon of the three. Giant isn't sexy or cool. Just good.

That said, I'd second the idea of a Colnago above all three. A C60 or C59 would be at the very top of my production bike list. With a Crumpton or Argonaut atop custom carbon.

Whatever you pick, many great options out there.:D

rnhood
08-08-2015, 01:18 PM
I vote for the S-Works Tarmac, mainly because I ride one and like it a lot. But just about all bikes today are very good so its hard to go wrong with any assuming it fits.

fuzzalow
08-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Of the three listed: Pinarello. The other remaining two are big-box-bikes from mass market manufacturers and should be discounted.

To drift from original list & intent: Colnago or Pegoretti. Different niche between these two but same exalted pedigree.

Shortsocks
08-08-2015, 01:39 PM
As others stated. Colnago C60. Can't go wrong.

Tandem Rider
08-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Depends on your use.

Racing, buy the team bike, make it fit, proceed to beat the snot out of it.

Daily rider, buy the one that fits the best that your LBS is selling.

Sunday rider, buy the one you think is the "sexiest".

RedRider
08-08-2015, 02:18 PM
The Colnago V1R, is a great frame and in the same category and price range as a Tarmac or F8.
The Colnago C-60 is a step above... the tube and lug, handmade construction, is best compared to custom frames.

Lionel
08-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Go with the F8, you won't regret it and they have your size ;)

54ny77
08-08-2015, 05:37 PM
I have an older S-Works Tarmac. It really is a good rig, very light, and if you want agility & handling, it's a go-to in that regard.

If I was interested in a big bike co. frame again, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

New's good if you want that new frame feel, but you can find really, really pristine used frames for a fraction of new. When I got mine, it was about 3 yrs. old and absolutely immaculate. They depreciate faster than a Chrysler.

Besides, that's a lotta extra $ for other upgrades.

Have fun! :beer:

Charles M
08-08-2015, 05:39 PM
NONE...

For Similar cash, go get a custom carbon frame made. Sarto, Scapin or pay a little more and order from Crumpton.

makoti
08-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Hmmm. Should I get a Ford? A Dodge? Or that Ferrari?

makoti
08-08-2015, 05:42 PM
NONE...

For Similar cash, go get a custom carbon frame made. Sarto, Scapin or pay a little more and order from Crumpton.

+1. Crumpton.....

blessthismess
08-08-2015, 05:50 PM
I agree with Charles and Makoti, If you're gonna go all out and spend that kinda cash to treat yourself then get a custom. It will be more unique and surely a better fit. Peg sounds appropriate if your not deadset on carbon. Although I've never ridden any of the bikes you mentioned (or any carbon frame) If I had to choose from your list i'd go with the Pinarello. Whatever you choose just make sure you enjoy it.

54ny77
08-08-2015, 06:11 PM
as for the "get a custom" comment, frankly that's a pain in the arse and if the op just wants to walk in, buy a nice bike, and walk out (which is sounds like he wants to do), either of those 3 bikes are superb. i know a gent with an f8 w/di2 9000 and oh my is that one very nice bike (and very big bucks).

custom carbon's a whole different ballgame. wonderful stuff, no doubt, but sometimes....it's good to walk to the grocery store to get what ya need rather than wait for the seasonal farmers market and pick up something "artisinal."

i'll stick with my opinion of buying a barely used high zoot factory big bike rig at a big discount. let someone else take the depreciation.

oh and op: ya might also consider something from parlee. same price point, very nice stuff, their off the shelf lineup is excellent. speaking from experience, i have a z5 and i'd say between that vs. the tarmac, i prefer the z5.

saab2000
08-08-2015, 06:49 PM
I own a Giant TCR Advanced SL. In most ways I can think of it's the best bike I've ever owned. It's the lightest and stiffest bike I've ever owned. I have no experience with the others on this list but I'd try them both in a heartbeat. The reason I got the Giant was that the top tube length, seat angle (setback if you will) and the head tube length were the closest to what I know works for me. And the price, at $900 or so, was right. And at this day and age, carbon has been evolving and has been in use at the highest level of cycling for 30 years. It's not soulless and wooden. My Giant is a fine bike.

There were a couple of assembly hiccups (press-in BB sucks and came loose once, steerer tube is 1.25 and most manufacturers don't make 1.25 stems, internal cable routing was a fairly major PITA) but it's all worked out now. That's the risk of buying used. When used in a fast group setting or race-like situations it's the best one I've had.

That said, for solo riding I would not always choose it. The things that make it the best bike in my garage aren't necessarily the things that I need on a solo ride, even a hard solo ride. I don't know how to describe it but I guess I just like to switch it up once in a while and when I ride alone speed may not be the most important thing for me. The ride quality is just fine so it's not that. I guess I just like variety in my garage.

This bike was my attempt at recreating a totally modern, Tour de France worthy bike and seeing what it's really like. It's good. It comes in right at 15 lbs and is very stiff and the ride is muted. Giant, as mentioned, make their own carbon and make carbon bikes for others. I would not discount it because it doesn't have the street cred of a Pinarello or Specialized. For all we know, Giant actually manufactures both.

I would like a Pinarello and if I were buying brand new it's probably the one I'd go with if for no other reason than that it's available in 1cm increments. But they're all premium bikes.

For those who don't know, I have had many customs and tons of high end bikes from Serotta, Strong, Zanconato, Hampsten, Independent Fabrication, etc. They are fantastic bikes and I still own all of the above except the Strong, which I sort of wish I still owned.

I own a Giant and I have no regrets. It was in my budget as an eBay lurker and opportunist. I'm not crazy about the fairly extreme top tube slope but it's part of the Giant thing and you don't notice it at all when riding it.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3945/15476619020_03c209f2ee_b.jpg

Elefantino
08-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm curious as to why you narrowed it down to just those three frames...

ceolwulf
08-08-2015, 06:56 PM
I agree with what Charles said but also would suggest Bianchi Speciallisima.

Avincent52
08-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I have an older S-Works Tarmac. It really is a good rig, very light, and if you want agility & handling, it's a go-to in that regard.

If I was interested in a big bike co. frame again, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

New's good if you want that new frame feel, but you can find really, really pristine used frames for a fraction of new. When I got mine, it was about 3 yrs. old and absolutely immaculate. They depreciate faster than a Chrysler.

Besides, that's a lotta extra $ for other upgrades.

Have fun! :beer:

I'll agree. I bough an older Tarmac from 2010. Great bike. Virtually unridden.
I paid less for the frame than for a set of used Shamals.

So as much as I like my bike, I guess I'd veer toward something like a Colnago
or a Parlee or a Crumpton or even the Pinarello, something that you won't see on every group ride.

velomonkey
08-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Serotta, Strong, Zanconato, Hampsten, Independent Fabrication, etc. They are fantastic bikes and I still own all of the above except the Strong, which I sort of wish I still owned.

Lucky dog!!!!!

Hls2k6
08-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Fit on these frames is drastically different. The Giant, in my size at least, is long and low, whole the F8 is anything but. I ride an 87cm saddle height and an XL frame with a 130mm stem and no spacers. The equivalent size Pinarello, which I would love to own, would be literally 2 inches higher stack at a slightly shorter reach. I'm sure some cyclists would have a similar fit dilemma, while others would face the opposite problem.

fuzzalow
08-08-2015, 08:31 PM
NONE...

Two possible approaches based on that recommendation, one of which is easily workable and the other which has more risk:

buy custom and keep it very close down the straight and narrow for what amounts to very little deviation from stock, standard bike norms as far as geometry. Buyer gets the custom experience with collaboration on most of the detail. Enjoyable experience and relatively risk-free. Or...
buy custom with the full treatment as far as including to custom geometry to fix all the shortcomings that have been experienced to date in riding bikes with stock geometry. This is the preferred method but should not be undertaken unless the client knows what he is doing. Much higher risk factor because having the ability to spec custom means the client knows how & what to decide on. The ultimate bike experience IMO.

In counterpoint also: as much as one might believe it is a "last bike for life" there is no such thing. Temptation always beckons.

1centaur
08-08-2015, 09:23 PM
As others would say, if you don't know what you are doing, let the builder help you with the choices. Stock bikes and generic choices do not vary much in risk, as you say, and if someone has special needs then the 3-bike comparo may not be appropriate anyway. Custom gives you ride quality input and custom paint, a combination that is worth a lot, IMO, at that price point. The waiting is the biggest downside.

Lionel
08-08-2015, 09:51 PM
The OP is asking about 3 different stock bikes, not sure why everybody is recommending customs or even steel customs... This is not the question asked.

dpk501
08-09-2015, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the input.

I have a custom steel Marinoni and though it rides great, my needs/physiology/riding style has changed as I've gotten older and fatter.

The way technology is these days and how good it is, coupled by the fact that athletes just ride stock frames now makes custom a moot point for me especially if I just want stock geometry.

I narrowed these three because they're trusted brands. I've always wanted a Pinarello since the Banesto and Telekom days (even though they're Pegorettis). Out of all the classic italian brands I've never had a chance to try a Pinarello. Bianchi, Guerciotti, Basso, were part of my youth and Pinarello would complete that (not a DeRosa Fan). Problem is, the tarmac subjectively feels so good to me.

pdmtong
08-09-2015, 01:21 AM
NONE...

chicken dinner!

IMHO C60 or sarto all the way

joosttx
08-09-2015, 02:23 AM
Colnago C60. This bike is simply incredible

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/459/19712425730_0f5c9002d1_c.jpg

EPIC! Stratton
08-09-2015, 08:21 AM
If your an more unusual size (ie larger or smaller than avg frame) be sure to inquire as to last years models as well. Shop I was at was doing 30% off last years stock, even if we ordered it in. It was a great deal for customers assuming there wasn't some major change in the bike/parts.

Vamoots58
08-09-2015, 09:06 AM
my C59 is so outstanding, that as many have said already, I'd add the C60 to the list.

SeanScott
08-09-2015, 09:29 AM

Well said

dpk501
08-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Good tip! Thanks.

If your an more unusual size (ie larger or smaller than avg frame) be sure to inquire as to last years models as well. Shop I was at was doing 30% off last years stock, even if we ordered it in. It was a great deal for customers assuming there wasn't some major change in the bike/parts.

dpk501
08-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Uh...Ford all the way!!!!

Ford GT that is....

HAHAHA
Well said

csm
08-09-2015, 02:55 PM

Well, I guess the giant would be the dodge? Would you buy a Ferrari made outside of Italy?
Possible that the specialized is made in the same gigantic factory as the giant. Maybe the pinarello is as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rnhood
08-09-2015, 03:12 PM
No its not. S-works Spec's are made in Taiwan, Giant in China.