PDA

View Full Version : new dual-sided powermeter option, low cost: powerbeat

wallymann
08-08-2015, 07:50 AM
it has alot of wires and parts, but the low price and dual-sidedness, and retro-fitability to alloy cranks and use-any-pedal make it an interesting candidate to fit on my trainer this winter.

with all the pieces-n-parts and cables/plugs, not keen on outdoor use...but indoor would do.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/preview-watteam-powerbeat.html

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/images/2015/08/IMG_5336_thumb.jpg

jc031699
08-08-2015, 11:21 AM
The el-cheapo in me wants to know if it can be setup as single pedal only so that one kit can be used on two crank sets.

wallymann
08-08-2015, 12:52 PM
The el-cheapo in me wants to know if it can be setup as single pedal only so that one kit can be used on two crank sets.

i'm guessing "no"...on other dual-sided setups, the designs generally have one sensor xmits to the other sensor which xmits to the CPU, daisy-chain fashion. meaning only 1 of the sensors in a given pair has the necessary stuff to talk to the CPU.

berserk87
08-08-2015, 03:29 PM
$499 is still a sack of coin, but I realize it's relative in the age of powermeters.

I would not pay $499 for this setup. It looks like something I would break early and often.

I do like the innovation and effort. I also like the fact that maybe pricing will continue to trend downward, so that I could justify the cost of some sort of powermeter before I die.

Neil
08-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I am intrigued by these. I'll likely buy the P1's for the Serotta, but these would be better as I could keep Speedplay.

Lanternrouge
08-08-2015, 06:24 PM
$499 is still a sack of coin, but I realize it's relative in the age of powermeters.

I would not pay $499 for this setup. It looks like something I would break early and often.

I do like the innovation and effort. I also like the fact that maybe pricing will continue to trend downward, so that I could justify the cost of some sort of powermeter before I die.

At some point people who buy these will be selling them, so you will end up being able to get one for less :beer:

ceolwulf
08-08-2015, 06:54 PM
At some point people who buy these will be selling them, so you will end up being able to get one for less :beer:

This I think is actually something worth thinking about if you buy this one new or the 4iiii same idea. You can resell it but it'll have to be with whatever cranks you put it on. So now you're also losing money on the cranks as well as reducing the number of people wanting to buy, depending on crank type/length/BB type. I'm guessing something like PowerTap pedals might actually be a better value long term even if up front cost is higher.

berserk87
08-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Great thinking - the secondary market is something I had not considered.

kramnnim
08-08-2015, 07:32 PM

Yeah...loose wires to snag, etc. No interest in this, but if it helps to drive prices down, great!