PDA

View Full Version : Any user report on Reynolds R2?

phcollard
08-08-2015, 07:43 AM
I can get a pair of new Reynolds R2 clinchers for a good price but there isn't a lot to read about them on The Paceline - my one and only trusted source for reviews :)

Since this is an old generation of rims I am concerned about squealing. I have read that Attacks form the same era can squeal a lot...

What do you think?

Here is a picture of the actual rim if it can help :

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3032014/paceline/reynoldsr2.jpg

eBAUMANN
08-08-2015, 09:03 AM
I've never seen the version with that exact rim before (full 3k weave) but I had a set briefly that used the old 32mm UD rim, they were fine, don't remember any noisey braking.

From what I remember they were pretty nice wheels but I would only really recommend em for lightweight riders (under 180lbs), as I feel like I remember them flexing a bit in the rear (rubbing brake pads when out of the saddle) and a teammate actually cracked one of his rims at a spoke hole (he weighs like 190, questionable riding habits, very strong, etc) - reynolds replaced it.

Also I don't think they ever used DT hubs on the R2's, but if they did, thats a big point in their favor IMO.

phcollard
08-08-2015, 09:32 AM
I'm 170 lbs-ish so I should be fine - and I'm not a gear abuser although sometimes the potholes in Montreal cannot be avoided.

I had never seen a 3k R2 before neither but unless I'm wrong Reynolds were offering those sets as budget wheels built with whatever rims were left in the factory. So it's kind of anything goes :D

The have the KT hubs. Not sure which is better : those R2 which are new with the KT hubs or the used MV32C with DT hubs that linger in the classifieds... Hmmm...

Thanks Eric :beer:

StanleySteamer
08-08-2015, 11:26 AM
I sent you an email about carbon clinchers build by Radcraft wheels (radcraft.ca). I think his prices are in Canadian funds.

phcollard
08-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks Stan but I don't see mid-profile carbon rims there (around 32mm). Only 50mm and they must be from a manufacturer in Asia.

Those wheels are also more expensive than I can get the R2 for...

thwart
08-08-2015, 05:52 PM
FWIW, I've had good luck with my 2009-era Attacks (with the KT hubs). Durable, comfortable ride, some aero benefits.

The R2's seem to be a newer version of that 'entry level' carbon clincher wheelset for Reynolds; the new Attacks have wider rims and (likely) somewhat higher end hubs.

thegunner
08-08-2015, 06:22 PM
FWIW, I've had good luck with my 2009-era Attacks (with the KT hubs). Durable, comfortable ride, some aero benefits.

The R2's seem to be a newer version of that 'entry level' carbon clincher wheelset for Reynolds; the new Attacks have wider rims and (likely) somewhat higher end hubs.

the r2's came in the same gen as the swirl lip thirty-twos (which i love love love). they're fine wheels, just not as light as they should be / look.

beeatnik
08-08-2015, 06:49 PM
You can do a century on them.

cat6
08-09-2015, 02:25 PM
My friend has these on his bike. He said they felt fast. YMMV