PDA

View Full Version : Cramping

Mr. Pink
08-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Been having a lot of issues with muscle cramps the last few weeks. Hamstrings, back, neck, other stuff. A friend recommends bananas and multi day vitamins. Any other suggestions?

93legendti
08-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Magnesium supplements. Calm is excellent

http://naturalvitality.com/natural-calm/

dustyrider
08-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Water.

George Ab
08-07-2015, 11:50 PM
I take calcium/magnesium and potassium. As stated plenty of water.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/muscle-cramp/basics/causes/con-20014594

dpk501
08-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Carry some packs of mustard or run into a fast food restaurant. Seriously. Pickle juice. Vinegar.

Again, Seriously.

Cramps can be caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine and the acetic acid in this can help stimulate production of this neurotransmitter.

The higher sodium in this helps as well.

Been having a lot of issues with muscle cramps the last few weeks. Hamstrings, back, neck, other stuff. A friend recommends bananas and multi day vitamins. Any other suggestions?

Tony
08-08-2015, 01:26 PM

I also have problems with cramps on long hard rides. Tried bananas, magnesium, potassium, pickles/pickle juice.. It boiled down to me needing more salt. Skratch Labs has a high salt content in combination with calcium, magnesium and potassium. It has really helped me avoid cramps.

sand fungus
08-08-2015, 05:51 PM
I take magnesium, calcium, and multi vitamin daily. I have been able to stem the cramps during rides. But occasionally I will get them towards the end of a long hard ride. I tried the pickle juice and other high salt foods to no avail, but last year during a particularly hard ride I drank one of those Starbucks double shot drinks in a can and it immediately stopped the cramping... That is my go to now when I get cramps. I also have night cramps that wake me up 2-3 times a night so I may not have the same types of issue as you do.
It is a deficiency, you just need to figure out what it is you are missing. Good luck

stephenmarklay
08-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Carry some packs of mustard or run into a fast food restaurant. Seriously. Pickle juice. Vinegar.

Again, Seriously.

Cramps can be caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine and the acetic acid in this can help stimulate production of this neurotransmitter.

The higher sodium in this helps as well.

Funny you say that. I had bad cramping on a hard ride a few weeks ago and I told that to my chiropractor. She told me the same thing about mustard packs.