PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice: 6800 shifter rattle

tumbler
08-07-2015, 03:47 PM
One thing I've noticed since I went to the 6800 group is that the shifters are quick to rattle when I ride over rough road surfaces. It seems to happen primarily when I have 1-2 fingers on the shifter or brake lever (just an outstretched finger touching the side, not wrapped around the lever). I'm guessing the vibration from the road causes my finger to bounce off the shifter, moving it just enough to cause the rattle, but the vibration is so slight that you wouldn't initially suspect that (ie. you don't notice your hands/fingers moving about over the bumps). Is there something else I should check? The cable tension seems adequate, shifting and braking is fine. Could this just be a downside of the easier shifting mechanism in the 6800 vs. my old 6600? Curious if anyone else experiences this or if it's just me and I need to adjust something.

regularguy412
08-07-2015, 03:59 PM
I have a 7800 shifter that does the same thing. Turned out that the return spring INSIDE the shifter is broken. It 'stays put' now due to the return spring in the caliper, but rough roads make it rattle if my hand doesn't damp it. I'm not worrying about fixing mine. Still shifts and brakes just fine.

Mike in AR:beer:

oldpotatoe
08-07-2015, 04:51 PM
One thing I've noticed since I went to the 6800 group is that the shifters are quick to rattle when I ride over rough road surfaces. It seems to happen primarily when I have 1-2 fingers on the shifter or brake lever (just an outstretched finger touching the side, not wrapped around the lever). I'm guessing the vibration from the road causes my finger to bounce off the shifter, moving it just enough to cause the rattle, but the vibration is so slight that you wouldn't initially suspect that (ie. you don't notice your hands/fingers moving about over the bumps). Is there something else I should check? The cable tension seems adequate, shifting and braking is fine. Could this just be a downside of the easier shifting mechanism in the 6800 vs. my old 6600? Curious if anyone else experiences this or if it's just me and I need to adjust something.

When you pull the brake lever does the brake move immediately or is there 'play' of lever before the brake closes? Maybe the brake housing isn't seated in the lever.

foo_fighter
08-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Using the reach adjust cured the rattle on my 5800 shifter. Just need a bit of tension on the lever.

classtimesailer
08-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Using the reach adjust cured the rattle on my 5800 shifter. Just need a bit of tension on the lever.

Try this. I had to do it on my 7900. Shimano tech advised it. Lots of stuff in those levers.

sworcester
08-08-2015, 04:45 PM
Try this. I had to do it on my 7900. Shimano tech advised it. Lots of stuff in those levers.

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

I have the same problem on one of my sets. Will have to check this out