PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 1999 hubs manual?

acorn_user
08-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Hi all,

does anyone have a manual for the 1999 Campagnolo Athena/Veloce rear hubs? These are the 9 speed ones that take the specific 9 speed lockring. I was changing cassettes, and noticed my hub was rough. I started disassembly, and it looks alright, but the freehub feels pretty stiff. Right now, I have the freehub attached the axle, but I'm not sure how to remove it, or if I can fix the problem by rebuilding it with new grease.

Anyway, I hope I can fix them. This are my first road hub and I had them it on a new rim last year.

Thanks!

oldpotatoe
08-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

does anyone have a manual for the 1999 Campagnolo Athena/Veloce rear hubs? These are the 9 speed ones that take the specific 9 speed lockring. I was changing cassettes, and noticed my hub was rough. I started disassembly, and it looks alright, but the freehub feels pretty stiff. Right now, I have the freehub attached the axle, but I'm not sure how to remove it, or if I can fix the problem by rebuilding it with new grease.

Anyway, I hope I can fix them. This are my first road hub and I had them it on a new rim last year.

Thanks!

Cart bearing hubs? FH body just slides off the axle after the axle/FH body is out if the hub shell. If loose balls, then open end wrench on lock nuts, remove, FH body off.

acorn_user
08-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks! These are loose ball hubs.

This may well be total mechanical ineptitude, but I have no purchase on the freehub lock nut. It just spins around (it is attached to the axle and out of the hub body; I did the non drive side first).

oldpotatoe
08-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks! These are loose ball hubs.

This may well be total mechanical ineptitude, but I have no purchase on the freehub lock nut. It just spins around (it is attached to the axle and out of the hub body; I did the non drive side first).

Yup, ideally need an axle vice, a tool that goes into a vice, holes in top, axle into holes to hold secure while you take the drive side nuts off(also small set screw in outboard drive side locknut). Only 6 ft-lbs to put that nut back on. Pawls go flying when you took FH body out?. Another wee tool to hold them down when you reassemble. 9 1/4 balls non drive side, 10 7/32 drive side. 2 cart bearings in FH body. Outboard easy to replace, inboard held in by 'blind' c-clip, almost impossible to replace.

acorn_user
08-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks again for the detailed response. Given that the stiffness seems to be coming from the freehub, that sound kind of terminal :(

oldpotatoe
08-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks again for the detailed response. Given that the stiffness seems to be coming from the freehub, that sound kind of terminal :(

Depends. Maybe a clean, light grease in FH body, new outboard bearing. If the interior bearing is toast, new freehub body. Those are pretty scarce since those hubs went away about 2000/2001.