PDA

View Full Version : An off topic everyone hates: Lawnmowers...

Kevan
05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Problem: I own a 1yr old Briggs & Stratton cheapy lawnmower which I'm trying to start for the first time this season. My lawn doesn't deserve any better device. It won't start; probably has something to do with being cheap. Well, actually it does start on the first pull, after three prime-pumps, but dies seconds later. Subsequent pulls on the cord do bubkiss, unless I prime it again, then VAROOM! it starts again then dies again. The mower is rigged with a deadman's bar that has to be pulled up to the handle (in other words, I do that!)

I've fueled it, cleaned the sponge-foam air filter (left it off for a try, no good), checked the oil, and pulled the plug and tried cleaning the gap with a very light sanding, removing any grit.

Whatelse is there a bullett can't cure? Any suggestions? New plug?

Ginger
05-07-2006, 02:52 PM
New plug, Then Check the fuel line (rather than just change the fuel), check to see if the muffler is clogged, you've already tried the air filter...

Start and run?

No start:
Then take the air filter out, leave it out for now.

Start and run?

No start:
Take your new plug out and shoot an itsy bitsy bit of starting fluid in there...just an itty bit. Not enough to blow the sucker up.

Start and run?

Ken Robb
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
carb jet and/or venturi tube is gummed up or fuel tank vent is plugged. I'd bet on the former. Get some carb spray cleaner and shoot it through the jet and venturi tube and the fuel supply line into the float bowl.

Try the easy thing first. See if it will run with the gas cap unscrewed a bit. If so your vent is plugged.

You should have bought Campy!

rePhil
05-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Was it stored with fuel in it? Sounds like a passage is varnished up.The proper thing to do is to remove and clean the carb. The good ol' boy way is... Not sure of your fuel delivery system but...make sure your fuel is fresh and remove the air filter and hand choke the carb by putting your hand over the carb opening while pulling the starter cord several times. You should see fuel puddling in the carb.
Some of the more sophisticated engines use a diaphragm while others are a more simple updraft. The added seal of your hand should allow fuel to be pulled through.

Be very careful anytime you are working around gasoline!!

Smiley
05-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Kevan , did you store that beast with gas in the tank all winter , also when you get that sucker sorted out add fuel stabilizer to the fuel, it will help the mower thru the season. Who loves ya, what no Carbone Fibre job for you :)

Bill Bove
05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Greenhouse gases are smothering us and leading to global warming :crap: Gas is nearing four bucks a gallon :crap: And you're still using a gas lawn mower :no: Get a couple of sheep for crying out loud :rolleyes:

All joking aside, how long do you spend mowing your lawn every week? How much is your time worth? How much would the kid down the block charge to cut your grass? Evrybody wins :beer: You have more time to ride your bike, he has a little change in his pocket and you don't have maintain his lawnmower. You may even turn the kid into the next Too Tall :banana:

eddief
05-07-2006, 03:41 PM
This is the best topic in quite some time and it's so great that it doesn't concern religion or politics or stem length. It's the all American question. How do I fix my lawnmower?

Kevan
05-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Greenhouse gases are smothering us and leading to global warming :crap: Gas is nearing four bucks a gallon :crap: And you're still using a gas lawn mower :no: Get a couple of sheep for crying out loud :rolleyes:

All joking aside, how long do you spend mowing your lawn every week? How much is your time worth? How much would the kid down the block charge to cut your grass? Evrybody wins :beer: You have more time to ride your bike, he has a little change in his pocket and you don't have maintain his lawnmower. You may even turn the kid into the next Too Tall :banana:

kid from up the street. 'sides, I've got my own 15 yr old lug-of-a-son who already gets paid for such stuff!

Neighbors are talking enough without me entering sheep into the equation. Thanks.

BumbleBeeDave
05-07-2006, 05:10 PM
. . . a rainbow striped day-glo bike parked in my yard next to a giant outer-space egg, my neighbors would talk, too . . . ;)

BBD

Too Tall
05-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Now THAT is a legit use for WD40

spincycle
05-07-2006, 06:38 PM
it could also be water in your fuel. try just a little bit of dry gas along with some of the other suggestions and you should be good to go.

Serpico
05-07-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/images/photo165p.jpg

Ginger
05-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Did the long grass get short today? Just what was the issue? Inquiring minds want to know (add to the collective "that might be what's wrong with it" knowledge of the forum! Did you check the BB for clicking?)

Eddie...I was raised on a farm. Spark, air, fuel. The three golden needs of the small engine. Exhaust...part of air, but seldom considered such.
Those steps work for all sorts of engines; only it takes a lot more ether to start a diesel tractor than it does a lawn mower....and you don't have those pesky plugs to bother about. :)

Sheep won't eat all of the grass. Just some of the grass. And they leave tall weeds and black droppings all over the place. We had 90 of them at one time...they do fine making a pasture look like a pasture, but they really don't work as well as a lawn mower.

I forgot the real cure: Have a neigbor come over to help you start it. Explain the issue and all the different things you've tried. The neighbor, by default will have to go through the standard steps to start the motor. It will start on the first pull.
:p

cydewaze
05-07-2006, 07:18 PM
http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/images/photo165p.jpg
I lol'd at that. :D

Kevan
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM
but then it is me...

I ended up rolling the @#$%@% thing back into the garage, promising myself that I'd address it next Saturday.

I did try Ken's suggestion (He's a bright guy, 'cept when it comes to loaning out his bikes to just anyone.) by unscrewing the cap thinkin'. "By Jove, I think that's it!" And it was! Well, sorta.. it was. The mower ran for about 4-5 seconds, then died, but certainly longer lived than any prior attempt. I need to go get some carborator cleaner stuff (You can tell I'm going where I've never been before, can't ya?) from the hardware/auto supply shop and see where it goes from there. Years back, my sister's old Nova did just fine with a shot of ether down its carb; do you think the same might work here?

Back to the other questions:

Yeah there was gas in the tank, but not a full tank. I know...

Stored unheated in a storage area, safe from the elements.

Yes, I played with the choke, high and low.

I don't do sheep.

My neighbor rebuilds motorcycles of all kinds. He's busy now restoring an old Vespa. He'd laugh in my face for my tribulation. He'll probably haul off and kick the rear wheel and the thing'd start without the pull of a rope.

Anyway, next weekend, problem will be solved.

How much are new mowers?

pale scotsman
05-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Kevan - I picked one of these up yesterday at Home Depot. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=hrr216vxa

They've got it for $499 and you get a $50 gift card if you send in the reciept.

I retired the old Snapper after trying to grind small stumps with it. Don't ask! It doesn't exactly run smooth anymore with a bent shaft. Well anyway the Honda is more than I wanted to spend, but the build is great and I'm trying to get our 12 year old taking over for dear old dad. The self propelled part will stop the, " It's too hard to push" excuse.

BTW after adding the oil and filling the tank the dang thing started on the first pull. No crap.

Ian

Kevan
05-08-2006, 10:51 AM
but that last question was sorta intended as a joke. The mower you bought is in fact a real humdinger (I've used one), but my postage stamp-size piece of miserable weed and rock-infested turf really isn't worth that level of barber.

No, it's time to face my demons. I need to learn the ins and outs of a combustion engine, even one so precise and delicate as this powerful single stoke.

Today... my B&S! Next visit to San Diego... Ken's BMW!

MartyE
05-08-2006, 10:53 AM
postage stamp sized lawn deserves a reel mower. cuts better than
an power mower anyday.

marty

Ginger
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
4 or 5 seconds of run is probably your prime fuel. You'll get the same out of a good shot of ether. I'd either drain the fuel and put in fresh, or throw a touch of dry gas in the tank; clean the fuel line (Did I mention clean the fuel line? it might just be some gas tank spluge clogging it a bit.), change the plug and have at it. Yeah, the Nova and the lawn mower probably have a lot in common at this moment in time.

I avoid taking carbs apart. Sure it's fun...but there are so many chemicals out there that will deal with the issues!

ALAMIKE
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
One little trick to try. First take the plug out and see if it is carboned up (black tip). If it looks black, you can clean the plug with sand paper (cheap) or replace and gap the plug. Then pour a little gas in the plug and try to reinsert it into the engine without spilling out the gas. Then try to start the mower. As others have mentioned, if you left gas in the tank over the winter, your carb may be varished with stall gas (it did this to a tiller one time). Next year run it dry or use a fuel stabilizer.

Kevan
05-08-2006, 12:02 PM
I think all you folk are absolutely terrific and I appreciate all your recommendations.

You're all more than welcome to my home and mow my yard anytime!

Alamike, I did just what you suggested with the plug, short of the gas, and I have to add, I've never seen a dirtier plug than this one. Replacing is in order.

CalfeeFly
05-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Kevan...junk the mower and the grass...I went to mulch and plants years ago...no grass to cut...water...fertilize...look crappy...weed...etc...more hours on the bike... :p :bike: :banana:

Kevan
05-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I have mostly trees and the grass does poorly here. Actually, I have some very pretty mosses growing, which are vibrant green but very sensitive to foot traffic.

Years of mowing lawn have turned me to hate the activity. As far as I'm concerned, a lawn bigger than say a badminton court is excessive.

Bless Pachysandra!

OldDog
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a few acres to mow. With a hefty size Cub tractor it takes me about an hour and a half. I don ear protectors, crack open a beverage and go at it, I find it almost as relaxing as a ride. If the tractor cannot mow it, it gets mulched.

CalfeeFly
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
I have mostly trees and the grass does poorly here. Actually, I have some very pretty mosses growing, which are vibrant green but very sensitive to foot traffic.

Years of mowing lawn have turned me to hate the activity. As far as I'm concerned, a lawn bigger than say a badminton court is excessive.

Bless Pachysandra!

Kevan here is your chance!!! Use that mower not working as a reason and nuke the rest of the grass. You will never be sorry. Plus think of all the good you do for the environment...save water...no chemicals...no pollution from the mower...no pollution from you being out there (air, noise)...you name it. Don't be afraid go for that brass ring...step up to the plate...swing for the fences...sprint to the finish...go for the gusto...be the first in your neighborhood...go for the gold...JUST DO IT! :banana:

Kevan
05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
"I'm mad as hell and I'm not mowing ever again!

Actually, my mower gets used about 4 times a year, there's so little call.

Close enough?

I grow trees.

And I'm not an owner of any SMG. Least I think not.

Ginger
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
You can argue that the mulch and perenial solution is ecologically more sound than a lawn any day. Fewer pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizer polluting the watershed.

Even though it doesn't sound like you contribute much to that problem to begin with. ;)

William
05-09-2006, 02:50 PM
I have a few acres to mow. With a hefty size Cub tractor it takes me about an hour and a half. I don ear protectors, crack open a beverage and go at it, I find it almost as relaxing as a ride. If the tractor cannot mow it, it gets mulched.

Ditto.

I like my Deere. :banana:

No chemicals. Grass is on it's own for water. Kill dandilions with M-80's. Fill crater with astro turf. My weed problem is slowly going away.

William

Kevin
05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I like my Deere. :banana:

William

Same here. The Deere is even better when one of my children is sitting on my lap and driving it around the lawn. :)

Kevin

Dekonick
05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.arttec.net/Solar_Mower/Parts/List.htm

:)