PDA

View Full Version : Look keo pedal removal

MallyG
05-07-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm about to dismantle my bike in order to pack it up for a trip abroad. One problem: I cannot get my Look Keo pedals off. It seems that the alum key they specify is too small for the hole - whilst the next size is too large. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

spincycle
05-07-2006, 01:16 PM
i just happened to have the bike handy and i checked the pedal. an 8mm allen key fits mine just perfect.

MallyG
05-07-2006, 01:18 PM
damn! Don't have an 8mm. They say 6mm on the instructions but I think you're correct.

spincycle
05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
depends on whether you have the steel spindle or the Ti spindle. the Ti spindle is 6mm, the steel, 8mm, according to my instructions (atmi).

MallyG
05-07-2006, 02:02 PM
doesn't actually say. Box just says Keo Sprint 130gr. Instructions only specify 6mm allen key (which is definitely too small). Hope I haven't ruined spindle by trying to remove with wrong size key!!)
Thanks for your help..

znfdl
05-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Mally:

Pedros makes a very nice 8mm wrench that looks like screwdriver. Works well for my pedals.

Ray
05-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Mally:

Pedros makes a very nice 8mm wrench that looks like screwdriver. Works well for my pedals.
Is the amount of torque you can get from a screwdriver type handle enough to install a pedal? Pedal wrenchs are pretty long, so I assume you need to use a fair amount of torque on the install and have a good deal more available for removal (hence the old saw about grabbing the wrench halfway down when you put the pedals ON and using the whole wrench when you take them off. When I'm dealing with pedals that just take hex wrenches and don't have pedal flats, I always use an L shaped hex wrench and still wonder if I'm getting it tight enough.

Am I overtightening?

-Ray

TorelliTom
05-07-2006, 03:46 PM
The keo sprint takes the 8mm. Get an L shaped one.

spincycle
05-07-2006, 06:32 PM
according to my instructions the keo should be torqued to 40Nm or 29.5 ft-lbs if you prefer. that's a little tough to do even with a 8mm allen key. the instructions cite this torque value for either the Ti or steel spindle.

Ray, you may not be getting them tightened to specs (assuming you're talking keos) if you're just using an 8mm allen key, unless you're a gorilla. :)

to mallyg you're welcome! :)

Ray
05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Ray, you may not be getting them tightened to specs (assuming you're talking keos) if you're just using an 8mm allen key, unless you're a gorilla. :)
No, don't have Keos, a couple sets of SPDs, one with 8mm, one with 6mm. But I'd guess the torque specs for most pedals should be roughly the same, no? Which makes me wonder what we're supposed to do with pedals that don't have pedal flats? You can't torque them to spec with an "L" shaped hex, but you can torque them enough to make it real tough to get them off without butchering your hands on chainrings. So, what to do?

I guess this is one area where I'm gonna go all DBRK on you folks and object to the newfangled because it doesn't solve a problem and it creates some new ones. I like pedal flats dammit. (I also like wool and other stuff Douglas likes, but not so crazy about friction, fat tires, and a few other things, and I don't have any problems with 'slopers' or welded bikes). But pedals without pedal flats - what for?

-Ray

MallyG
05-08-2006, 06:08 AM
i just happened to have the bike handy and i checked the pedal. an 8mm allen key fits mine just perfect.

Thanks. Just got an 8mm allen key - works fine. Regards Malc

spincycle
05-08-2006, 06:54 AM
i don't use an allen key for my pedals or just about anything else for that matter. i use a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench and a set of allen sockets. i also have a couple of torque wrenches to cover the range of torque that needs to be applied. using an allen key straight up so to speak is tough. i like my ratchet set-up much better. i do carry allen keys with me but that's just for road side assist and repair. my speedplays have the traditional flats as opposed to my keo pedals. although i have a good traditional pedal wrench i think my 3/8" drive ratchet with allen sockets is a better way to go imho. cheers! :beer:

Climb01742
05-08-2006, 07:51 AM
i also have a couple of torque wrenches to cover the range of torque that needs to be applied.

i'd like to get a torque wrench for adjusting things like handlebars and seatpost collars. any recommendations and sources for buying would be very much appreciated. thanks.

Roy E. Munson
05-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I bought one at Sears, works fine for tightening stems, bars, etc.