PDA

View Full Version : OT- My new coffee maker

Ken Robb
08-06-2015, 04:10 PM
To conclude my posting about needing a new machine: I got a very basic 4-cup drip machine by Mr. Coffee. I made a full "4-cup" pot (really 2 good mugs-full) this morning using my usual beans and the gold filter that came with the machine. I was pleased. The first cup was almost hot enough but I nuked it for 30 seconds to get it really HOT. The second cup was just right to drink and had deteriorated very little. This is better all around than the Cuisineart I had been using. I think we paid $20 +/-.

BTW, I have a French press too. It makes great coffee but I hate cleaning up the mess when I'm done.

curlybro
08-06-2015, 04:28 PM
I use one of these bad boys to make coffee at work so I don't have to drink the Folgers that is provided.

http://ifeed.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/614953e.jpg

Minimal cleanup and makes a better cup of coffee than any drip machine I've ever had coffee from.

ColnagoFan
08-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I use one of these bad boys to make coffee at work so I don't have to drink the Folgers that is provided.

http://ifeed.cooking.com/images/products/enlarge/614953e.jpg

Minimal cleanup and makes a better cup of coffee than any drip machine I've ever had coffee from.

I got one, mostly to use for travel, but I was never able to make a decent cup with it. Seemed like a lot of hassle for one cup, and honestly the taste wasn't great. I must've been doing something wrong. Used it on one trip, then stashed it in a closet somewhere.

Ken Robb
08-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty lazy so I like my morning routine: Start the beans grinding, get frozen croissant from the freezer and nuke it for 33 seconds. Pop it in the toaster oven at 225F. Fill reservoir with filtered water, insert filter in machine, pour in the ground coffee and push the button. Turn on TV news while coffee brews and croissant gets crispy. When I hear the last of the water gurgle over the grounds I pour the first cup, grab the croissant and some butter and settle down at the table with my newspaper while listening to the TV to determine if there is anything breaking that I need to see.

This morning Leslie and I were reminded why we like paper filters: so we don't have to flush ground and clean a permanent filter. We don't have a garden in our condo so composting isn't an option.

SlackMan
08-06-2015, 06:19 PM
BTW, I have a French press too. It makes great coffee but I hate cleaning up the mess when I'm done.

Just an aside in case anyone is interested: Paper filters take out cafestol, which can have undesirable health effects but some beneficial ones also. The passage below is from the link below it:

Cafestol and kahweol: Filtering out cholesterol boosters

Coffee drinkers concerned about cholesterol weren稚 happy about some early study results showing that coffee seems to increase cholesterol levels, and 澱ad LDL cholesterol levels in particular. But upon closer inspection, the bad news turned out to be not so bad, because the cholesterol-raising effect seems to be limited to coffee that hasn稚 been filtered, which includes Turkish coffee, coffee brewed in a French press, and the boiled coffee consumed in Scandinavia.

The cholesterol-raising ingredients in coffee are oily substances called diterpenes, and the two main types in coffee are cafestol (pronounced CAF-es-tol) and kahweol (pronounced KAH-we-awl). They are present either as oily droplets or in the grounds floating in the coffee. But a paper filter traps most of the cafestol and kahweol, so coffee that痴 been filtered probably has little, if any, effect on cholesterol levels.

The best evidence is for paper filters, but an interesting study published in 2011 showed that filtering methods used in Singapore (the so-called sock method, which uses a cotton-nylon cloth) and India (metal mesh) were also effective at trapping cafestol.

Espresso contains more cafestol and kahweol than paper-filtered coffee, but because it is consumed in smaller amounts, it may not have much of an effect on people痴 LDL level.

There is a twist to this aspect of the coffee story, because cafestol and kahweol may also have some health benefits that are lost when they汷e filtered out. The research is in the preliminary stages, but cafestol and kahweol could have some anticancer effects and be good for the liver.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/what-is-it-about-coffee

mercretas
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
In the summer, there's nothing better than cold brew coffee. I make it in batches and leave a jar of brewed coffee in the fridge, so I can pour some over ice and drink it without any morning prep.

spiderwj
08-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Ken Robb, I agree on the French press. Great coffee but the cleanup is too much. Ever tried a Hario?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robb
08-10-2015, 09:46 PM
Ken Robb, I agree on the French press. Great coffee but the cleanup is too much. Ever tried a Hario?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never heard of Hario.

goonster
08-11-2015, 02:48 PM
I have never heard of Hario.

Hario is a Japanese manufacturer of pourover, vacuum, french press and cold filtration coffee makers, as well as tea sets, kettles, grinders, etc. High quality stuff. They are not exclusively associated with any particular brewing method, although the pourover gear is most commonly seen in the U.S.

http://www.hario.co.jp/shop/images/products/WDW-6.jpg

texbike
08-11-2015, 04:10 PM
We have all manner of coffee-making contraptions taking up space on counter-tops, in cabinets, etc around the house. Our $25 drip maker is the one that gets used 99% of the time due to the ease-of-use and "good enough" coffee that it makes with freshly ground, locally-roasted beans.

However, we don't have one of those Hario thinga-majigs. I'll have to look into one of those. :rolleyes:

Texbike