PDA

View Full Version : OT (kinda): SUV hitch installation

FastforaSlowGuy
08-06-2015, 01:19 PM
I want a hitch installed on my new-to-me SUV, which I will use to carry bikes and occasionally tow a small sailboat. Doing it at the dealer will cost a FORTUNE, and it seems like there are plenty of places that do this. I'm told to make sure it's removable to help resale. Anything else I need to know? Any tips on picking a shop to do the work?

fa63
08-06-2015, 01:27 PM
I had mine done at the local U-Haul store. The install looks nice and the price was very reasonable.

p nut
08-06-2015, 01:33 PM
99.9% of hitch receivers are removable, so no worries there.

Like mentioned above, the cheapest way is to have Uhaul do it. They also offer a lifetime rust/accident warranty on them. But I would just have them install the receiver and not the wiring harness. You can get harnesses from etrailer or amazon, and at least for me, it was cake install. Maybe 15 min? Would be MUCH cheaper this way.

Mikej
08-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Anti seize the fasteners!!!!!

bikerboy337
08-06-2015, 01:36 PM
If you have someone that can help you hold it up, it takes about 30 minutes to install yourself... just need to clean the threads on the car, and bolt it on... took me 15 minutes to do the last time I did it...

I bought my hitch online, was pretty cheap and installed myself.

tuxbailey
08-06-2015, 01:41 PM
It is easy to install yourself. If you have a Toyota, the chassis usually have all the holes pre-drilled and ready for hitch install.

I installed on in my Honda CR-V and I only had to file the existing hole bigger.

Now, if you are talking about additional wiring it would require more effort.

Nooch
08-06-2015, 01:41 PM
etrailer.com was great for the hitch for our odyssey, they've got videos and rate how hard the install is, sent all necessary parts...

rwsaunders
08-06-2015, 01:42 PM
I had mine done at the local U-Haul store. The install looks nice and the price was very reasonable.

same here...+1.

Auk
08-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Or buy it there and do it in your drive. As was mentioned above, most SUV's already have the holes in place for the hitch to bolt in place.

adhumston
08-06-2015, 01:57 PM
I just installed one on our '14 Forester a couple months back. Bought on Amazon (Curt hitch) and installed myself. Literally saved 50% vs buying and having it installed at U-Haul. Took me about an hour, but I had to enlarge some holes with a die grinder (w a not very big compressor), so that ate up some time.

bjf
08-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Depends on the car model. They had to remove some stuff from my Toyota Highlander, so I don't think I could have done it myself. U Haul was quick and cheapest.

p nut
08-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Some words of caution if you plan to DIY the hitch receiver install:

* Some cars require cutting of the bumper. ie some Subaru models require a 2" notch to clear the receiver.
* Some installs are literally screwing on 4 bolts and that's it. HOWEVER, the welded nut inside of the subframe CAN break free. This can be a headache, as you may have to cut a hole in the trunk to get to it. Ask me how I know this...
* If you have a frame on body, the install takes a bit more time. I had to take the bumper off of my Tacoma. Not a hard install, but more time consuming.
* May not even make sense cost wise. The price for a receiver on etrailer was ~$170 delivered. Price installed with insurance at Uhaul was $190.

Vinci
08-06-2015, 03:10 PM
The last one I installed, I bought the hitch at a U-Haul store, drove it to my buddy's office, and installed it in the parking lot. It took about 20 minutes, which would have been 10 if he had helped hold it up.

Unless your SUV is pretty low, you will probably be able to do the job without any jacks and maybe just a piece of cardboard to lay on.

I needed a good-sized ratchet and torque wrench to get it to spec (this was a big class-4 hitch), but that will vary based on the vehicle and hitch.

Schmed
08-06-2015, 03:43 PM
What SUV?

My dealer wanted $1400 for a hitch for my fancy german car. My shrewd negotiation skills got that down to $700. :crap:

malbecman
08-06-2015, 03:53 PM
If you have someone that can help you hold it up, it takes about 30 minutes to install yourself... just need to clean the threads on the car, and bolt it on... took me 15 minutes to do the last time I did it...

I bought my hitch online, was pretty cheap and installed myself.

Same here...pretty much my experience putting one on our Odyssey. :)

ptourkin
08-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Go to etrailer.com and look up your vehicle. They have a video showing almost every installation. You can watch and judge for yourself if it's something you want to take on. I found it accurate for my 2012 JSW TDI.

daker13
08-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Looks very do-able to do it yourself, but I had Uhaul do mine a couple of weeks ago... seems fine, around $250.

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Very helpful folks. I think I'll Amazon the Curt hitch and give it a try. I've got a Cayenne, and the install will require pulling back part of the wheel well and bumper, but no surgery.

Much better that the dealer! They wanted $1K for the hitch and a gazillion more for install. Damn Germans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grawk
08-07-2015, 08:22 AM
I'd probably have a transmission cooler installed by your favorite mechanic if there isn't one already, since you plan on towing a boat.

josephr
08-07-2015, 08:35 AM
etrailer.com was great for the hitch for our odyssey, they've got videos and rate how hard the install is, sent all necessary parts...

+1 on eTrailer...installation and instructions were straight-forward and pretty quick on my CX-5. Had to drop the muffler which has rubber hangers. Used LOTS od WD-40 and those things slide off and back on like butter. Borrowed a big-ole torque wrench from a car buddy. :beer:

Schmed
08-07-2015, 08:36 AM
... I've got a Cayenne,...They wanted $1K for the hitch and a gazillion more for install. Damn Germans.

My hitch install required the computer to be re-programmed, so that when a trailer is connected, the stability control and self-leveling suspension settings are changed. These vehicles are getting too complicated.

So, maybe buying from the dealer is the way to go - if you are towing anything of significant weight. I doubt a small sailboat falls in this category, though. We tow a 17' daysailer and can't even tell it's back there, although my 0-60 times do fall to about 5.8 seconds with the boat. :D

FastforaSlowGuy
08-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Ah yes, the computer reprogramming. I previously had a different german-made car that required me to recode every time I swapped the battery, otherwise it would go crazy and fry the alternator. Nothing like paying your mechanic $100 to plug in your car for an hour.

I'm starting with just hauling bikes, so I'm putting off the electrical interface for the time being.