PDA

View Full Version : Good MTB shoe for both SPD and Platform Shoes

stephenmarklay
08-05-2015, 07:10 AM
I will use both types of pedal systems on my new MTB and it would be cool to have one pair of shoes.

Are there any that I can use with a platform but still make respectable SPD shoes?

malcolm
08-05-2015, 08:40 AM
that would be interesting to know as well

I've been using mostly flats for a year or so now and use the spd less and less. If I'm on manicured single track smooth and flowing with nothing real technical I'll still use them but otherwise flats. I don't think I lose anything on the flats and you adapt to repositioning your feet fairly quickly.

I can't imagine a better shoe for flats than the 5.10 that has dimples fore and aft but is slick in the center. The slick area is a wee bit soft and really grips the pedals.

stephenmarklay
08-05-2015, 10:19 PM
I rode tonight in my new MTB for the first time on some real trails with some rocky technical stuff.

I had cheap welgo platforms with spikes, and chuck taylor痴. It worked but was the weak link.

I do have some TEVA shoes like your 5.1 that I can try. I also think a better platform like the Race Face Atlas would be better.

I might get a way without going SPD for the kind so riding I want to do. Although SPD would be nice for doing 2+ hour gravel grinder rides.

JAGI410
08-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Changing pedals takes less than 2 minutes. If I'm goofing off or riding technical stuff, it's flats and 5.10s. If it's longer/faster rides, it's Giros and SPDs. I think it would be hard to find a "best of both worlds" setup....however I'm not tempted to try my flat pedals (Xpedo Spry) with my Giro Terraduros just for the heck of it. The sole on those things are great.

malcolm
08-06-2015, 09:27 AM
I rode tonight in my new MTB for the first time on some real trails with some rocky technical stuff.

I had cheap welgo platforms with spikes, and chuck taylor痴. It worked but was the weak link.

I do have some TEVA shoes like your 5.1 that I can try. I also think a better platform like the Race Face Atlas would be better.

I might get a way without going SPD for the kind so riding I want to do. Although SPD would be nice for doing 2+ hour gravel grinder rides.

I use answer pedals, there are many similar. Wide, thin with lots of removable/replaceable spikes.
I initially tried them with various shoes and can't begin to tell you how much better the 5.10s are than any other shoe I tried. It's something about the rubber compound of the sole they just grip.
I does take a few rides to get used to the foot movement but you will. It will also force you to learn to keep the pedals weighted so your feet don't slip off, but after a while they just don't.

The only time I feel flats are a negative is on steep technical climbs I'll occasionally lose momentum and stop because I lost foot position but the more I've used them it happens less often.

Using flats I routinely clear tight rocky technical passes that I never got through once clipped in.

stephenmarklay
08-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the input on this. I would prefer to use flats really. I don稚 think they are perfect but they certainly are in tune with the reason I bought the bike - to have fun.

Ralph
08-06-2015, 11:41 AM
SPD on one side, flat on other. Use whichever shoe the ride calls for. Believe Shimano makes them. I see them regularly.

My wife uses Specialized (road bike looking) two hole SPD shoes, with recessed cleats, and the cleat is recessed enough for normal walking. Don't see why that wouldn't work on a flat pedal. Pretty nice supportive shoes actually. They don't look like gym shoes.

sokyroadie
08-08-2015, 07:42 AM
Which 5.10 shoe are you all talking about, there are lots of choices.

http://fiveten.com/

Thanks,
Jeff

sokyroadie
08-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Bump

Still trying to find which 5.10 shoe you all recommend.

Thanks,
Jeff

malcolm
08-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Hey Jeff sorry I didn't see your question. I'll post a link to the sole that I like. My shoe is all black but has this sole. I had the free ride before these and they were good as well, but this sole grips like a fiend.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/14983-freerider-contact-black-lime-punch

stephenmarklay
08-10-2015, 04:19 PM
I ordered some or these DMR pedals. http://www.amazon.com/DMR-DMR-VAULT-K-Vault-Pedals-Black/dp/B005U5WIYG I am going to try out my Teva links with them and ultimately get the very well reviewed 5.10s