PDA

View Full Version : Scotch lovers thread

ergott
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
OK, so we exhausted coffee and beer. What about single malts. "on the rocks" need not apply. What are some of your favorites? I just got a bottle of Oban and so far, so good.

Takers?

H1449-6
05-06-2006, 08:28 PM
I dig the peaty goodness of Laphroig.

znfdl
05-06-2006, 08:30 PM
McCallan 12 year, need I say more.

catulle
05-06-2006, 08:35 PM
OK, so we exhausted coffee and beer. What about single malts. "on the rocks" need not apply. What are some of your favorites? I just got a bottle of Oban and so far, so good.

Takers?

Aberlour is good for your body and good for your soul, atmo. Casks for ageing Aberlour are cured with mushrooms retrieved from Highland sheeps' poop which were first discovered by Don Juan, Carlos Catanedas spiritual mentor. After a pint of the 10 y.o. stuff Monctezuma shows up wearing a short kilt and a Viking helmet with horns. Monctezuma only disappears after the second pint.

Jeremy
05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Lowland: Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet (unfairly maligned)
Highland: Craggenmore, Macallan, Highland Park, Oban
Islay: Lagavulin, Laphroig, Talisker, Bowmore

The scotch that slowly evaporates from the cask over time is called the "angel's share". How cool is that?

Ginger
05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Ah, and here I was hoping for a list of web sites of Scottish hotties in short kilts... ;)

catulle
05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Ah, and here I was hoping for a list of web sites of Scottish hotties in short kilts... ;)

Profuse apologies. I can't indulge. I'm on the road and using a borrowed computer. Maybe some other time. Cheers.

Ginger
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I suspect the scottish hotties that I would care to look at would not be the same as the ones that you (or a large portion of the forum) would care to look at.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Way back when, before I was diagnosed Celiac, I was occasionally partial to Macallan...

Ken Robb
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Jeremy has excellent taste and saved me from writing more than "I second his vote".

palincss
05-06-2006, 08:54 PM

Takers?

The Glenleivit. I love the Speyside malts.

pale scotsman
05-06-2006, 08:56 PM
My Gran in Edinburgh likes a heated dram o Glenkinchie with honey before bed. Me, I like a wee bit o Laphroaig every now and then. Taste for your Whisky (notice no e) is a personal thing. You can spend a lot of money for really old stuff that doesn't taste any better than 10-12 year old in my book.

Sorry no kilt pictures Ginger!

Jeremy
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks Ken,

"Welcome to everyting Scottish, if it's not Scottish it's crap"

"You got any Bushmills then?"

"Ah, that's Irish ya bastard!"

Jeremy

YO!!!
05-06-2006, 09:05 PM
The Balvenie {Prefer the 12 year old, but it's all good}

Talisker {Everything from the Isle of Skye is special...
especially the terriers}

MartyE
05-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Glen Morangie 18 year old.
smooth, nice smokey undertaste, not overpowering.

marty

ergott
05-06-2006, 09:22 PM

especially the terriers}

Had the Talisker and wasn't for me. I just ran out of my usual Glenlevit 12 and figured I'd try something new. Glenlevit is great. Glenfiddich is good and easy to find and a bar. Macallan 12 is also nice, but IIFR is pretty strong.

Grant McLean
05-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Aye, the MaCallan.

Anyone have the resources to try some of those
extra special bottles? I used to be able to get the
18 year old, but it's gone up so much, I can't justify it.

g

Jeremy
05-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I though that the Glenlivet and Dalwhinnie were lowlands, alas they are highlands. New entry in Lowlands: Glenkinchie

Jeremy

JohnS
05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Ben Nevis right after touring the distillery after a 12 mile hike from Kinlochleven.

jasont
05-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Hehe, is on the rocks bad? That's how I drink it.

I drink The Glenlivet 12 regularly. I've had Macallan 18 a few times and enjoyed it. Not a fan of Glenfiddich. Too harsh, imho.

tmanley
05-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm currently working through a bottle of Highland Park...which reminds me, I need some tonight.

jwprolo
05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Talisker, but I can see how it may not be for everyone. I love the Islay malts for how earthy they are.

Btw. How many mix with water? What water? Am I taking it too far getting imported water from Scotland?

Lincoln
05-06-2006, 11:32 PM
MaCallan 18yr, only had it once, but it was wonderful. I can't justify the price for a bottle.

Occasionally a little Laphroig but usually MaCallan 12yr. A friend turned me on to Buchanan's blended, not too bad and pretty reasonably priced.

bcm119
05-07-2006, 01:16 AM
I like the islays. Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg.

djg
05-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Aye, the MaCallan.

Anyone have the resources to try some of those
extra special bottles? I used to be able to get the
18 year old, but it's gone up so much, I can't justify it.

g

Yeah, *** happened to the prices? The 18 year bottle used to be a little dear, but entirely sane as a bit of a special treat. And the 18 was lovely. Lovely.

Now, prices on the 18 are prohibitive and the older ones are just nuts.

Grant McLean
05-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, *** happened to the prices? The 18 year bottle used to be a little dear, but entirely sane as a bit of a special treat. And the 18 was lovely. Lovely.

Now, prices on the 18 are prohibitive and the older ones are just nuts.

When I started drinking scotch in university, a girlfriend who was
from montreal turned me on the the MaCallan. (and other things).
The 12 was $55 and the 18 was $80. It was no contest for me, I'd turn my
nose at the 12, when you could have the 18 at that price.
Now, about 15 years later, the 12 is $79 and the 18 is $279. Yikes!

g

PBWrench
05-07-2006, 10:10 AM
And don't forget my personal favorite -- Macallan Cask Strength, matured in Sherry Oak casks. Rich, complex, devastating.

ergott
05-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Talisker, but I can see how it may not be for everyone. I love the Islay malts for how earthy they are.

Btw. How many mix with water? What water? Am I taking it too far getting imported water from Scotland?

Neat. The only way to fly.

CarbonCycles
05-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Jeremy, nice taste. Grant, you have expensive tastes! I'm surprised no one mentioned Glenmorangie in the burgundy wood finish...one of my favorites by far!

Birddog
05-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Currently working on a Glenmorangie 15 yr old, very, very nice. Also like Lagavulin, Laphroig, and Bowmore.

Birddog

neverraced
05-07-2006, 06:37 PM
2 or 3 fingers of 30 yr. old Macallam---styrofoam cup--two ice cubes--splash of Squirt---heaven.

palincss
05-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Hehe, is on the rocks bad? That's how I drink it.

Don't you find that the ice waters down the flavor as it melts? Also, for me, it takes away the bouquet - or, if you will, the fumes. :)

Erik.Lazdins
05-07-2006, 07:59 PM

especially the terriers}

My favorite is Talisker by a mile followed closely by Lagavulin.

The trick with these is to wait when a big snowstorm is closing in on you, get dressed warmly and go outside with a snifter of either.

Stop after one so that you can ride in the snow the next day!

jasont
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Don't you find that the ice waters down the flavor as it melts? Also, for me, it takes away the bouquet - or, if you will, the fumes. :)

I like the ice because it mellows the flavor a bit but I may be missing out on some subtle flavors because of the cold. I probably should just add a touch of water to accomplish the same thing.

FWIW, many enthusiasts would say water actually aids in the release of aroma or bouquet but that depends on the scotch.

YO!!!
05-07-2006, 09:47 PM
FWIW, many enthusiasts would say water actually aids in the release of aroma or bouquet but that depends on the scotch.[/QUOTE]

A splash can go along way to true enjoyment. Ice can work but you need to let it melt back down to room temp...life's too short for dat.

pdonk
05-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Glenrothe 1973 is the best I have ever had ($260 or so a bottle - bought for father's 60th birthday gift)

Tried the Glen Breton (Cape Breton whiskey) - about $80 a bottle, not a good value, taste is just average, very rye like.

Curious about trying some of the Japanese whiskeys.

When in Toronto go to the Feathers on Kingston Road near Victoria Park. http://www.thefeathers.com/

davids
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Lowland: Dalwhinnie, Glenlivet (unfairly maligned)
Highland: Craggenmore, Macallan, Highland Park, Oban
Islay: Lagavulin, Laphroig, Talisker, Bowmore

The scotch that slowly evaporates from the cask over time is called the "angel's share". How cool is that?
Thread killer! That list could qualify as definitive.

I had a great blended Scotch once, at a fine Boston restaurant. Our waiter told us it was what Nixon served at the White House. I wish I could remember the name. It went on forever (the name, that is.)

Anyone?

Serotta_Andrew
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
My favorite....

Knockando!!!! a fine 10 year old single malt

jeh
05-09-2006, 05:56 PM

Takers?

springbank 21 years, easily my favorite.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/images/sbank2/51.1.jpg

Gat64
05-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Never exported from Scotland, and even hard to find there! Limmited amount made - cask strength (not watered down after maturation).

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Named after the peat laden lake they get their water from. I picked up a bottle while in Edinbbugh back in 2003... if you have the fortune to purchase a bottle - do it.

DarkStar
05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I've have an empty bottle of Knockando, never tasted a drop:crap: Myself and three friends split on the purchase, $100 in 1980. Went out for a short ride, when I returned the bastards had polished off the entire bottle:crap: :crap: :crap:

bcm119
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Never exported from Scotland, and even hard to find there! Limmited amount made - cask strength (not watered down after maturation).

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Named after the peat laden lake they get their water from. I picked up a bottle while in Edinbbugh back in 2003... if you have the fortune to purchase a bottle - do it.

The Uigeadail is available in the US now. It appears that it replaced the 17 y.o. I haven't tried it yet, but it may be my next bottle.

NAHBS
05-10-2006, 08:57 AM
I have been really getting into single malt lately...
my fave has to be Balvenie 21. I have only had 1 glass of it and it was pure magic. Next to that would be the Balvenie 15. That was my first exposure to Balvenie and it was smooth, honey and peat flavors abound. Imagine my delight when I tried the 21...it was all that the 15 is and so much more. however, I cant afford a bottle...if I could, that would be the ONLY Scotch I would ever drink.
Peter Enright from Phil Wood allowed me to try some of his stash of Laphroig 30 Year Old Friday night after day 1 of NAHBS.
To my uneducated tastebuds, it came across much harsher than I would have thought. The peat and smokeyness was almost overwhelming. I struggled to find a characteristic that I really enjoyed in it. It ended stronger, way stronger than it began for me. Its a pretty pricey bottle, and I was glad to have been able to sample it, but it just wasnt my type.
I have bought Glenlivet 15 french oak, and it wasnt bad.
Lance from Longstaff brought us a bottle of Bowmore 10 or 12
,http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f183/Walkercycles/NAHMBSDay3byFaridAAbrahm508.jpg
i forget which, and it wasnt bad, pretty tasty actually, but still not Balvenie 15.
My pal Andy at Strawberry is sending me a bottle of Talisker to sample and a couple friends that owe me favors are sending bottles of who knows what?

Anyhow, i use 4 finger style ice cubes.

DW

NAHBS
05-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Came home with a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 YO.
Having never heard of the brand until today, I thought to myself that the price seemed right, why not give it a go.

My first impression was that this bottle could or should sell for more than it does ($35.00). It was easy on the nose, a slight peat/salt air type of aroma.
Nice amber color.
Flavor? Well, it was a pleasure to the palate. It was mild to medium, not alot of aftertaste and just a hint of honey and spice.

A thumb up high for this bottle! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :beer:

DW

RichMc
05-14-2006, 02:22 AM
The Islay's are a bit too "peaty" for me. The dank, mouldiness detracts from the usual fine nector characteristic of the other regions.

Oban is really good. I've a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood that is close to the end. The Glenlivet is a bit light but I wouldn't turn down a sip or two.

Jeremy
05-14-2006, 08:38 AM
I had a great blended Scotch once, at a fine Boston restaurant. Our waiter told us it was what Nixon served at the White House. I wish I could remember the name. It went on forever (the name, that is.)

Anyone?

The Royal Usquebach, perhaps?

Jeremy

NAHBS
05-14-2006, 02:40 PM
The local LS has really improved its SM Scotch selection. :beer:
I guess I need to sell more frames to sample them all. :crap:
Anyone need a track frame? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :D :D

DW

JohnS
05-14-2006, 06:03 PM
I had some in Scotland once, I don't remmeber the name, but it tasted like a smoky campfire (in a good way). Can anyine help?

Jeremy
05-14-2006, 06:27 PM
I had some in Scotland once, I don't remmeber the name, but it tasted like a smoky campfire (in a good way). Can anyine help?

It was almost certainly an Islay malt. Does Lagavulin, Laphroig, Talisker, Bowmore or Ardbeg ring a bell?

Jeremy

Johnnyg
05-14-2006, 07:03 PM
I suspect the scottish hotties that I would care to look at would not be the same as the ones that you (or a large portion of the forum) would care to look at.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Way back when, before I was diagnosed Celiac, I was occasionally partial to Macallan...
No cheap date!....I'll buy anyway. JohnnyG Leaving for France(Antibes) tomorrow....where reds are boss

NAHBS
05-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Wow, great things happened yesterday....
first, I am getting my Junior Holdsworth back...long story..maybe another time and then as I dropped off some prizes to the Superdrome for the Festival of Speed last night, one of the volunteers was so happy about my donation of prizes, he handed me a bottle of The Glenlivet Archive 21 YO. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Not sure what its worth, but I guess I need to donate more to the Drome.... :p

DW

MallyG
05-20-2006, 01:16 PM
A couple of years back, a few of us did the 'Whisky Ride'. Five days, starting in Skye and finishing in Ullapool via the Highlands and beaches of North West Scotland. A different climb each day (including the legendary - and feared - Applecross) and a different malt each evening.

Bliss..... :beer:

NAHBS
05-20-2006, 02:52 PM
That sounds amazing! Great idea, wish I could do that!!!

DW

Erik.Lazdins
12-15-2007, 10:06 PM
It's in the low 20's today - I didn't go to 'cross nationals but worked on the fallen oak in my yard, made Latvian Gingerbread cookies (family recipe) and am now having a Lagavulin - My wife got me the bottle as a surprise!

Anyone else having a Single Malt?

djg
12-15-2007, 10:28 PM
For smoky, peaty whiskey -- sorta the scotchiest -- Laphroig.

For smooth, nice, any time, Macallan. 12 year-old is very good, the older stuff is great (15 yrs., 21?) but the prices have just gone through the roof in the past few years.

Marco
12-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Lagavulin; if not available then Laphroig. Word to TooTall for turning me onto Laphroig several years ago and hence the south shore of Islay.

KeithS
12-15-2007, 10:50 PM
not the old one though the 12 year old is just fine. All of the single malts discussed here are great some are just greater than others.

A Usquaebach Scotch Whisky was bottled for Nixon's first inauguration. In another reference I read Nixon decided on his resignation aboard the presidential yacht Sequoia whlie sipping a bottle of 20 year old Ballentine.

Birddog
12-15-2007, 11:12 PM
What a coincidence that this thread would be resurrected. I just returned from a fabulous annual holiday party at a fellow bicyclist home where he was pumping me with his single malts. We drained the Oban and then moved on to the 16 yr old Lagavulin which I preferred. Mighty fine holiday cheer. It's all good. I'm still partial to my Glenmorangie.

Birddog

chuckroast
12-16-2007, 09:23 AM
OK, good stuff. I am currently working my way through a bottle of Dalmore 12 YO (not right this second, it's 9:00am for goodness sakes). I've never had it before, and it may be my imagination, but it seems to pack a bigger punch and I need to sip very much more slowly as a result.

pdonk
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Oban is really good. I've a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood that is close to the end. The Glenlivet is a bit light but I wouldn't turn down a sip or two.

I'll second this. I've been drinking the 14 year old and really enjoy it.

Also just bought a bottle of Glen Rothes 1994 (12 year old) starts acidic, but finishes nicely.

bigtime
12-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Just last nite a friend opened up a bottle of Aberlour, which has always been in my top 3 or 4 scotches. But as good as it is, you owe it to yourself to try a really really good, smooth, ultra small batch bourbon: my clear favorite is Black Maple Hill, 18 yr. (Have the 23 also, but I feel the 18 is smoother. Better bourbon gestalt.)

Kentucky vs Scotland. Who takes it?

terrytnt
12-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Ah... Scotch... what a wonderful thing. Used to drink blended - Black was my favorite but after many years I moved to single malt. Now my weekend evenings include Macallan 12 year - often with a very fine cigar. The sherry casts aging process produces an incredibly smooth, slightly sweet scotch whisky AND THE BEST PART IS YOU CAN BUY IT FOR $37 IN JERSEY!!!

Cycling and Macallan... does it get any better? :beer:

terry
12-16-2007, 03:12 PM
so many scotch's, so little time. after 3 friggin hours of shoveling (again), no way to ride, i had to relax & catch the pat's with an 18 y/o Jameson with a st. paulie girl. life ain't too bad, I guess.

davids
12-16-2007, 04:34 PM
A few months after this thread originally ended, I had Lagavulin 16 for the first time.

We have a winner. It's like liquid peat. Amazing.

http://www.thewhiskystore.de/dist/lagavuli/images/lagav1600_2.jpg

bcm119
12-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Another vote for Lagavulin 16. I also enjoy the Laphroigs and Ardbeg...

Anyone try the Ardbeg Uigeadail? Wondering if its worth the price.

KeithS
12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
TerryTNT wrote.
Ah... Scotch... what a wonderful thing. Used to drink blended - Black was my favorite but after many years I moved to single malt. Now my weekend evenings include Macallan 12 year - often with a very fine cigar. The sherry casts aging process produces an incredibly smooth, slightly sweet scotch whisky AND THE BEST PART IS YOU CAN BUY IT FOR $37 IN JERSEY!!!

So, as blended Scotch is a blend of single malts - you should check out Famous Grouse. It has a very high percentage of The Macallan in it, and a really wierd name. Unlike the oddly named Sheep Dip it is a really good scotch. Used to be my everyday scotch, until my Dr. said I shouldn't have an everyday scotch. Macallan and a nice Ashton VSG. I know what you mean....

Erik.Lazdins
12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
So, as blended Scotch is a blend of single malts - you should check out Famous Grouse. It has a very high percentage of The Macallan in it, and a really wierd name. Unlike the oddly named Sheep Dip it is a really good scotch. Used to be my everyday scotch, until my Dr. said I shouldn't have an everyday scotch. Macallan and a nice Ashton VSG. I know what you mean....

Hey - Famous Grouse is what Queen Elizabeth serves at Windsor Castle. I'd suppose she has her choice of what she likes and she chooses this.

KeithS
12-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I am very thankful that we missed the weekend storms our friends out east got socked with. We are equipped to handle lots of snow here. Nothing is equipped for the ice you guys got in OK last week. Erik - are things back to normal yet?

DarrenCT
12-16-2007, 09:20 PM
this scotch is a bit too much for me

i think i need to get used to it atmo

im up for the challenge. whats a dark beer drinkers scotch?

KeithS
12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Dark beer.

PoppaWheelie
12-17-2007, 12:39 PM
We celebrated the holidays last night with the in-laws and had a fairly indulgent romp through some Speyside singles, which in turn has left me currently craving some Advil, french fries and my bed. 6 hours left in the work day...must...have...coffee...

Erik.Lazdins
12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
I am very thankful that we missed the weekend storms our friends out east got socked with. We are equipped to handle lots of snow here. Nothing is equipped for the ice you guys got in OK last week. Erik - are things back to normal yet?

KeithS and other forumites interested in Tulsa!
Power is being restored though many thousands are still without service. The older, established neighborhoods with large trees sustained considerable damage with many trees uprooting and tearing up streets. There are neighborhoods that cannot be driven. I amazed at the many hundreds of electrical service trucks that have come in from out of state. They are being housed and dispatched from a convention center. The weather is good this week so hopefully all power will be restored soon. Nearly all schools are back in session with NW Tulsa still having some schools closed due to power outtages.

I've been riding even though most rides have been cold and wet. Fenders are great for weather like this!

Thanks for reading