PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Paceline

ColnagoFan
08-05-2015, 12:16 AM
The people here are what makes this a special place.

I somewhat recently went through a bit of a hard time in my personal life, and I unfortunately let some of that spill over and impact some fellow PL folks here vis a vis some classified sales. Anyway, I felt terrible about the situation, but I was able to make it right with everyone.

But what I wanted to say to everyone here is: thank you. The number of people who reached out to me, unbidden, with words of encouragement, stories of personal strife, and triumph over it, and a general "keep your chin up mate" message was both completely unexpected, and completely needed. For some reason these well-wishes and words from complete strangers almost had more impact than those from people close to me, simply because there was nothing attached to them. Just the general wish for things to improve.

So, thank you, to the people here, to the mods & people running the place for fostering this special, special enviroment. Thank you to the people who sent the emails and PMs. Thank you for the caring, the understanding, and the general love for someone you don't even know.

This is a special place, and I'm happy and proud to be among like-minded folks. Even the ones who would dispute that lugged carbon frames are the best bikes on the market.:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Jim

Exonerv
08-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Truly glad to hear that life is on the upswing for you Jim...and have missed your imput here over the past few months. I'd planned to put up an "Honest mistake made right" post on the Buyer/Seller feedback thread, but this seems like the best place to share my experience.

I purchased a set of Ritchey carbon bars back in March from Jim and did not notice he'd inadvertently shipped me a size larger than I'd ordered until I started my build 4 months later. I kicked myself for not paying more attention and then reached out to Jim to request an exchange. He shipped me the smaller bars on his dime and in addition, included a nice gift to express his regret for the mix-up. When it came time for me to return the larger set, my son made Jim an offer on those and he readily agreed to a price that was likely less than he could have obtained on the open market. He more than made things right in my mind and I greatly appreciated his willingness to work with me so many months after the initial sale.

So glad to have you back in the fold as it were and I completely agree about what a special community we have here at the Paceline.

malcolm
08-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Even the ones who would dispute that lugged carbon frames are the best bikes on the market.

You clearly seem to know nothing about bikes, but I'm happy you've worked things out.
Now write 1000 times "bicycles are to be produced from steel and Ti only"

Keith A
08-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Jim -- I'm glad to hear that things are improving for you and hope they continue to do so.

distanc3
08-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Good to see you're back and things are going well.

The set of rotor rings worked out great for me you should give it a shot :beer:

Mzilliox
08-05-2015, 11:08 AM
good stuff, and a good place here. glad you are feeling better, on the up and up:hello:

ColnagoFan
08-05-2015, 12:16 PM
Truly glad to hear that life is on the upswing for you Jim...and have missed your imput here over the past few months. I'd planned to put up an "Honest mistake made right" post on the Buyer/Seller feedback thread, but this seems like the best place to share my experience.

I purchased a set of Ritchey carbon bars back in March from Jim and did not notice he'd inadvertently shipped me a size larger than I'd ordered until I started my build 4 months later. I kicked myself for not paying more attention and then reached out to Jim to request an exchange. He shipped me the smaller bars on his dime and in addition, included a nice gift to express his regret for the mix-up. When it came time for me to return the larger set, my son made Jim an offer on those and he readily agreed to a price that was likely less than he could have obtained on the open market. He more than made things right in my mind and I greatly appreciated his willingness to work with me so many months after the initial sale.

So glad to have you back in the fold as it were and I completely agree about what a special community we have here at the Paceline.

Happy to do it, glad everything worked out, and you owe us pictures of the new Look. See? Lugged carbon? This guy knows what's up.

Oh, stoked those Rotor rings worked out! I was curious, I'll admit, but with my old knee issue, I'm really afraid of mixing things up. Honestly though, maybe it'd help...hmm...

Thanks again, everyone. Now, on to the fun stuff!

KJMUNC
08-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Wait, they make carbon in something other than lugged? Blasphemy!!

My C50 is plenty enough for me, and I just helped a co-worker who is new to cycling score an identical C50 w/Record 10 for a great deal on eBay.

Welcome back and hope life continues on the upswing :beer:

ColnagoFan
08-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Wait, they make carbon in something other than lugged? Blasphemy!!

My C50 is plenty enough for me, and I just helped a co-worker who is new to cycling score an identical C50 w/Record 10 for a great deal on eBay.

Welcome back and hope life continues on the upswing :beer:

My C50 was unfortunately one of the things I couldn't hold onto during a(nother) difficult time, but it's fondly remembered.
I do have an older Extreme Power frame in the garage, in need of a TOTAL refurb, strip the paint/etc. It's a "someday" project. Luckily it's not worth anything as it sits, so is safe, but someday when I have the funds, it'll be a worthwhile project.

Exonerv
08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
The new Look I'm building up is actually the 586 - so a monocoque frame. I also have a 585 lugged frame that I love, but I have it on good advice the 586 has a ride that is equal to, or slightly better than the much heralded 585. I plan to find out.

Since I have the new bars, I can move forward with cutting the mast and wrapping the bar tape. Pictures and a ride report may have to wait until I return from Alaska in late September.

That wider set of bars however will be going on my son's C40 Mapai...

T.J.
08-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Glad you are on the upswing! Holla at me sometime

rzthomas
08-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Gotta say, Jim made things quite right on a recent purchase.

Glad to hear that everything is on an upswing. Keep on keepin' on.

Also, people want to know who have seen the bike I've built up: who makes that black bartape that you sent me, the tape that has the basketball-like raised dot texture?

ColnagoFan
08-05-2015, 04:28 PM

Also, people want to know who have seen the bike I've built up: who makes that black bartape that you sent me, the tape that has the basketball-like raised dot texture?

Thanks, that means a lot!

This is essentially the same thing I think: http://zipp.com/accessories/detail.php?ID=16701

I got the other stuff...god I don't even remember where...

joosttx
08-06-2015, 02:46 AM

Agreed. thank you very much. Very impressed.

soulspinner
08-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Here here. We sure hear about negative stuff enough. Glad to hear you have made things right with others and things are looking up.:beer:

noonan1970
08-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Jim for coming through with my purchase as well / Plus some extras!

Glad to hear things are going well! tim