PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist buzzed by a helicopter

A1CKot
08-04-2015, 09:13 PM
I'll just leave this here. Fast forward to the ~55 second mark to see the cyclist that seem to just keep on riding like it just another day on the roads in the Ukraine.

https://youtu.be/jye40dwDDlc

JAllen
08-04-2015, 09:28 PM
I think it's safe to say he buzzed everybody.

Louis
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Don't give the drone punks any ideas...

Peter P.
08-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Those are computer generated graphics.

But I'm assuming you already knew that.

As an aside, when I was in the Air Force, I would ride my bike out on our base perimeter road. It pretty much went around the perimeter of the runways but there was nothing on the far side of the flightline and the asphalt gave way to loose gravel so there was zero vehicular traffic.

Anyway, one Saturday I'm riding along, just about in-line with the end of one runway and I see an F-4 honking down just getting airborne, heading right toward me. You'd think he'd gain some altitude because he was off the ground with plenty of tarmac left. BUT NO. Here he comes maybe 30 feet off the ground running parallel to it and I swear the dirtbag was intentionally buzzing me. He was so close the ground was shaking and while I desperately wanted to cover my ears, I didn't dare take my hands off the bars. Only AFTER he roared right over my head does he decide to go vertical.

THAT was not computer generated.

A1CKot
08-05-2015, 01:57 AM
It looks pretty real to me. What am I not seeing?

I work on the flight line and ride our perimeter road almost daily. I've been buzzed in similar ways but my favorite is the taxi way that is 10 yards away from the road. Aircraft taxi speeds are quite low and I've had a few time when a jet was taxing right next to me as I was riding home. I wish I had a camera on the back because it look like it was chasing me.

As an aside, when I was in the Air Force, I would ride my bike out on our base perimeter road. It pretty much went around the perimeter of the runways but there was nothing on the far side of the flightline and the asphalt gave way to loose gravel so there was zero vehicular traffic.

Anyway, one Saturday I'm riding along, just about in-line with the end of one runway and I see an F-4 honking down just getting airborne, heading right toward me. You'd think he'd gain some altitude because he was off the ground with plenty of tarmac left. BUT NO. Here he comes maybe 30 feet off the ground running parallel to it and I swear the dirtbag was intentionally buzzing me. He was so close the ground was shaking and while I desperately wanted to cover my ears, I didn't dare take my hands off the bars. Only AFTER he roared right over my head does he decide to go vertical.

soulspinner
08-05-2015, 05:25 AM
Below Russian radar detection? If its real..

oldpotatoe
08-05-2015, 06:52 AM

"low transition". Maybe he saw you, maybe he didn't. Not uncommon. 30 feet, I thought you said he was low?-USAF..I get it.

BTW-the video, I think it's real. It's really not any big deal.

Dr Luxurious
08-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Fake!
Totally looks like CG when the chopper first enters the frame. Plus the grass and trees barely move.

I thought this as going to be about Fignon in the 84 Giro

cat6
08-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Fake!
Totally looks like CG when the chopper first enters the frame. Plus the grass and trees barely move.

But they DO move. There are several shots where the trees and/or bushes are being blown outward ... There's also a very accurate moving shadow which correlates the position of the sun with other objects casting a shadow in the video...

TPetsch
08-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Yup, looks CG to me too.

redir
08-05-2015, 03:05 PM
My first impression was that it was fake too and a lot of the commenters are saying the same thing. Not too much of a surprise either when just last week the Russians tried to make a video showing they found a bunker in Eastern Ukraine with crates full of US made weapons only to find out that the graphics came out of a video game called Battlefield 3 LOL.

Peter P.
08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
I call the video computer generated because I don't know who would have been able to follow a helicopter in a car AND had a dash cam.

I would expect the chopper speed to be higher, rapidly pulling away from the camera.

Watch the video a few times and there are some clues I can't express but they give me the impression it's fake.

Louis
08-05-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's fake.

1) Doesn't look real to me, and

2) There would be tons of stuff blown into the air (dust, dirt, leaves in trees) from the rotor wash.

A1CKot
08-05-2015, 08:13 PM
I don't know for sure but I think its real. Dash cams seem to be prevalent in this part of the world.

I did watched it again freeze framing here and there and I clearly see movement of trees and bushes that I would expect from my own experience working on a ramp shared with Pave Hawks. Helicopters also hover taxi so speed isn't really an issue. I have stood at the edge of a taxi way as they hover taxied by and while you can feel the down draft its not overwhelming. Feels like a 10-15 knot gust.

I had the privilege of playing and enemy combatant in and extraction simulation with Army Rangers. I was on a 2nd floor balcony when a Pave Hawk flew overhead and inserted the roof team. The trailing edge of the main rotor and the tail rotor were right above me. Maybe 25 feet. It wasn't blowing me over but I was told that if they did have a helicopter come in I should kneel below the rail high just in case.

I also noticed that the cyclist reacts to the passing of something before the car with the dash came passes him. He does the whole half turn looking around like "did anyone else just see that!"

As I said not sure but either way its a cool video.

cat6
08-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Is this fake too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r0UJXUw8WI

How come the wash in the above video isn't blowing around dirt and debris from that field or the hats off of those soldiers heads? The trees barely move when it passes by. The wash that everyone expects is what you're used to seeing in movies during takeoff/landing and at much closer proximity to the ground while hovering.

There are probably more cars with dash-cams in Russia/Ukraine than without. There are thousands of hours of interesting videos as a result. This is one of them.

Louis
08-05-2015, 09:06 PM
Plus it wasn't playing Wagner. Everyone knows that helicopters play Wagner as they fly along.

oldpotatoe
08-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Plus it wasn't playing Wagner. Everyone knows that helicopters play Wagner as they fly along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QzJKCUek