PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else still use a wired cyclo-computer?

berserk87
08-04-2015, 03:15 PM
The last of my luddite pals just left my inner circle and graduated to a Garmin or something like that. I am the only poor wretch still left using wired computers in these parts.

Is there anyone else out there who still does?

Anyone out there that does not use any feedback device (i.e. computer, HR monitor, phone app, or power meter)?

Louis
08-04-2015, 03:34 PM
The wired Cateye Micro on my daily driver is still going strong. The head unit has to be at least 15 years old. I think I'm on my second clamp / wire bundle / sensor set for it.

rePhil
08-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I'm with you. I have a wired cateye on one bike and "Upgraded" my others to Cateye Padrone wireless. I like the larger display on the Padrone, and it gives all of the info I need and want
if I was riding in an unfamiliar area a map feature /GPS would be nice.

mg2ride
08-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I think I have 2 bikes that still have wired computers. I have no feed back on any of the others. My son rides one of the bikes with a computer. When I ride the other I very seldom use the information.

I use my bells 100 times more than the computer.

Work provides me a flip phone so I don't use a smart phone for info either.

I will likely break down soon and get a smart phone but will not use it for info when riding.

I'm old, fat, slow and only ride for pleasure.

saf-t
08-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Another wired Cateye luddite here. Both units work perfectly, so why change?

Bstone
08-04-2015, 03:40 PM
The batteries on wired computers last for years, seemingly.

Got to charge my stupid Garmin every time I ride.

donevwil
08-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Four old Cateye Enduros (same as Micro) and a Strada Cadence for the wife.

SlackMan
08-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Wired Sigma user here. I saw mostly negative reviews of wireless units. And my flip phone won't run Endomondo or Strava or whatever -- :)

regularguy412
08-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Cateye Strada Cadence on my backup bike. Still have 2 Micros that i'm sure would work if i could get new harness/cabling for them.

Mike in AR:beer:

chengher87
08-04-2015, 04:16 PM
I use the wired blackburn 3.0 that has cadence (a luxury!!) and speed feature. It only cost 8 dollars brand new (Nashbar clearance) and it actually works really well with my Elite Turbo Muin because I can see both cadence and mileage on the trainer. Since the magnet is in the flywheel on the Turbo, a wireless won't be able to give me cadence AND mileage since the flywheel is far back enough from the crank-arm (unless I use a wireless computer that has two separate receivers).

I leave it on during riding season because cross-threading the wires into and off my downtube is a pain.

jonnyBgood
08-04-2015, 04:30 PM
A what?

Seramount
08-04-2015, 04:31 PM
still have a wired Cateye Vectra on the back-up bike.

saab2000
08-04-2015, 04:36 PM
I used a Cateye Mity 8 on all my bikes until this spring when I bought a Garmin 510. I'm debating going back to them as I didn't throw them out.

I like mapping my rides via Strava but I'm still not sure of the real benefits of this.

My needs are simple - Speed, Distance, Time, Average, Time-of-day, and odometer. The Cateye provides all of this and is extremely reliable.

The only issue I have had is that the electrical contacts are sometimes suspect. My Hampsten single-speed still wears one and I'm totally happy with it. I may go back to more of them over time. We'll see.

They're tiny, light and dead reliable.

gdw
08-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Another user of wired Cateyes. They are reliable and batteries last for years. The batteries also can be purchased cheaply at almost any large supermarket if needed.

I plan to keep my old computers until someone introduces a small gps unit that offers the basic functions -speed, distance, time, etc- and also displays the lat/longs of your current position.

weisan
08-04-2015, 04:38 PM
wired shimano flightdeck on my commuter and mtbs - they just won't die.

fuzzalow
08-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Still use a SRM Pro power meter featuring wired connectivity via sensors on the chainstay for wheel speed and next to the bottombracket for crank power. Running wires under the downtube up to the bars for the Powercontrol V display unit. Square taper Campagnolo. So very quaint yet stylish that harkens as a turn of the millennia accoutrement.

I don't race much less even train anymore with it. But I have it so I might as well use it even if I don't really use it. I still keep a EOL Windows XP running on a NTFS partition on VMWare on my linux home computer just to run SRMWin software on it. Gotta be nuts.

sparky33
08-04-2015, 04:48 PM
I don't know if I am having any fun if I cannot see my data ; )

sw3759
08-04-2015, 04:53 PM
of course..have wired cateye various models across all my most ridden bikes.
cheap reliable gives me all the info i need.i tried a few wireless models but wasn't impressed.more cost,less reliable and heavier.no thanks

rustychisel
08-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Wired Sigma here; one head unit and setup for three bikes. Light, reliable, unobtrusive, tells me what I want to know.

joe.e
08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Just picked up a wireless unit after my wired unit took a tumble after I was stupid and didn't properly lock it down after cleaning it.

I lost a couple features (hr/hr zones), but I've never had any issues with interference or anything like that (which I was worried about). So far I've been pleasantly surprised, and now I'm looking at graduating to something with a bit more data.

bocobiking
08-04-2015, 06:17 PM
My wife and I use Cateye Velo 9 wired computers on all of our bikes. Over the years, I've tried various wireless computers and everyone of them failed to function when the temperature dropped below 25 degrees. The instructions on all of them (including wired computers) warn about this problem, but the wired ones will work down to at least 10 degrees (the coldest I'll ride).

Also, I find that the only data I really want is my speed and distance. Any more than that seems to reduce my riding experience to a bunch of numbers, which is not why I ride.

gaucho753
08-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Avocet 30, FTW!

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/gaucho510/LOOK%20Equipe%20Bernard%20Hinault%20Reynolds%20753/IMG_5952_zps70d9830c.jpg

berserk87
08-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Avocet 30, FTW!

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/gaucho510/LOOK%20Equipe%20Bernard%20Hinault%20Reynolds%20753/IMG_5952_zps70d9830c.jpg

Whoa! An old Avocet.

I still ride the Avocet O2 saddle. I have stockpiled a few of them from ebay. Best saddle ever made. Too bad that Avocet went belly-up years back.

zmudshark
08-04-2015, 08:02 PM
The batteries on wired computers last for years, seemingly.

Got to charge my stupid Garmin every time I ride.Damn that GPS satellite link.

PQJ
08-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Wired for me. I tried wireless back in '03 or '04. It sucked. I've never looked back.

Tony T
08-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Sigma BC 1609

BobC
08-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Cateye mity for me. Wired works well.

I never moved up to a more expensive unit due the fear of crashing in a race & damaging it.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2015, 09:44 PM
The last of my luddite pals just left my inner circle and graduated to a Garmin or something like that. I am the only poor wretch still left using wired computers in these parts.

Is there anyone else out there who still does?

Anyone out there that does not use any feedback device (i.e. computer, HR monitor, phone app, or power meter)?

I am more Luddite-ey...watch only. Sometimes not even that.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Avocet 30, FTW!

Nice rig, monoplaners, Simplex shifters...sweet.

ojingoh
08-05-2015, 01:30 AM
Same setup as fuzz-- wired square taper SRM. It's creaky, but that's my only complaint.

ojingoh
08-05-2015, 01:40 AM
I still keep a EOL Windows XP running on a NTFS partition on VMWare on my linux home computer just to run SRMWin software on it. Gotta be nuts.

You can run it on Windows 8, 8.1, even 10. There is a video on their site on the driver setup. PM me I will help out.

Web1111a
08-05-2015, 02:48 AM
Nice rig, monoplaners, Simplex shifters...sweet.

Is this a Reynolds 753 ?

That whole bike looks awesome

gaucho753
08-05-2015, 03:26 AM
^Yes, 753, and thanks.

jpang922
08-05-2015, 03:41 AM
10yo bontrager wired speed+cadence plus gps from my phone have been working well for me.

http://imageshack.us/a/img805/5351/img5752j.jpg

dawgie
08-05-2015, 12:41 PM
I have been switching from wireless to wired computers on all of my bikes. The reasons? I bike commute and traffic signals on my route often cause crazy readings on my wireless computers -- like showing max speeds of 200+ mph. Wireless computers also burn through batteries at a much faster rate, at least twice as fast.

A funny thing happened when our HVAC company installed a wireless leak detector on our water heater. I grabbed my bike closest to the water heater to go for a ride one day and the battery was nearly dead and it was showing huge amounts of time. Apparently the wireless computer had been "running" while the bike was just hanging on the wall.

Web1111a
08-05-2015, 02:17 PM
^Yes, 753, and thanks.

Size?

How long have you had it

One of my personal favorites from look perspective how does it ride

Sorry for thread drift

saab2000
08-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Here's a pic of my Giant right before I got my Garmin 510 early this spring. The wired installation is tidy and the computer is hardly in the way. It's small and provides all I need. I will admit that I'm curious about the new Garmin 25, which is about the same size and will provide post-ride mapping and some other things too in addition to what I like like speed and distance and time and is smaller than the 510.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8682/15998058421_bfc342baca_b.jpg

Bob Ross
08-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Sigma BC906 wired cyclometer on 2 out of 3 (soon to be. 3 out of 4) of my bikes. Speed, distance, not a whole lot else. Perfect.

Keith A
08-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Still running a couple of Avocet 45's and a wired Shimano Flight Deck. I really liked the Flight Deck with the controls built into the levers and the virtual cadence is pretty cool.

I must admit that I do record my rides with my smart phone. I don't use this while I'm riding, just to review the data from the ride later.

gaucho753
08-06-2015, 02:01 AM
Size?

How long have you had it

One of my personal favorites from look perspective how does it ride

Sorry for thread drift

57cm. Original owner since early '87. It rides as well as you can imagine but you can't have it. :D

Llewellyn
08-06-2015, 04:15 AM
...... and a wired Shimano Flight Deck. I really liked the Flight Deck with the controls built into the levers and the virtual cadence is pretty cool.

I loved the controls in the levers too, and I used to find the indicator of which gear you were in a great feature on the couple of wireless Flight Decks I had. But they both gave up the ghost after a couple of years and I switched to a wireless Cateye.

I have wired Cateye Velo 8's on two of my bikes and both of my wifes. They have all the info we need and they were cheap as chips. My other two rides have the wireless Cateye's

berserk87
08-06-2015, 11:56 AM
I used to be a Cateye fan but I broke so many mounting kits over the years that I parted ways.

I have been using Planet Bike models now (5.0, 8.0, 9.0). No buttons, inexpensive, simple, and rugged. I have never broken a mounting kit or wire. Sometimes they are a bit finicky in wet weather, but I had the same issue with my Cateye models.

Keith A
08-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I loved the controls in the levers too, and I used to find the indicator of which gear you were in a great feature on the couple of wireless Flight Decks I had. But they both gave up the ghost after a couple of years and I switched to a wireless Cateye...They can be a little finicky/flaky :( I have one that the display will just disappear for a while, but will usually come back at some point. What is interesting is that even though I can't see anything, it is working the whole time and keeps going even though the display is blank.

PaulE
08-06-2015, 04:05 PM
I have a wired Cateye with cadence on my permanent trainer bike - all my other bikes have wireless Cateyes. But I have found that a Niterider headlight, whether in flashing or steady mode, interferes with the wireless computers - they intermittently stop recording mileage and displaying speed. I like to know the distance I've ridden and how pathetic my average speed was, so I don't use the Niterider, even though I think it is a good idea to use one during the day. So I've been toying with seeing if the Niterider would not interfere with a wired computer, and if that is the case, I may go back to a wired computer.

John M
08-06-2015, 04:12 PM
I use nothing but a watch to make sure I get home in time to keep my wife happy. I used to use computers, HRM, etc....but now just enjoy the riding.

It is much more enjoyable for me now to ride by feel and time rather than distance, speed, watts, HR zone, feet climbed, or some other competitive metric.

Keith A
08-06-2015, 04:15 PM
I've had a similar problem using a Lights and Motion light with my wireless Shimano FlightDeck computers. It causes the computer to go crazy :eek: