PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a Garmin cyclogizmo

Onno
08-04-2015, 02:03 PM
I've been riding a long time, and have ridden with and without computers, so I think I know the benefits and hazards of having more data on board. I'm been thinking of getting a Garmin Edge--either the new 520 or the 810, especially since I'm going to be spending the fall and spring exploring new roads (sabbatical!!). Reviews of these things online are pretty confusing. Some people love them--others hate them because they are full of bugs, keep crashing, hard to use and set up, etc. What do Paceliners say?

MattTuck
08-04-2015, 02:08 PM
I don't think the 520 is available yet. So hopefully they sort out any bugs before they start shipping.

If I were in the market, I'd go for the 520, without a doubt. It can store some map data, which can be useful when exploring new roads.

I think the real time strava segments and phone integration is pretty dumb, so I just wouldn't use those features.

Where are you going for your sabbatical?

Onno
08-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Adirondacks for the fall, Ottawa for the winter/spring. Will be xc skiing lots too, if El Nino doesn't kill the winter.

rnhood
08-04-2015, 02:11 PM
I recommend the 810 if you think that you might be using the map function to any extent. In addition, the larger screen is easier to read. Its really a great cycling computer. The interface to Garmin Connect is transparent, and provides storage of any routes/rides that you want to keep. You can also map out new routes and download them to the 810. I don't think I've met anyone who wasn't delighted owning one.

FlashUNC
08-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Had a 500, just got the new 25. Generally like them though I'm pretty light on the data while I'm riding. More interested in tracking where I've been post-mortem.

sparky33
08-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Garmin units work well. Not had any issues with my 800 for many years running.

On board navi is great. Many new routes explored.
I only get lost on purpose now.

Having the head technology handy for the occasional powertraining class is nice too.

dan682
08-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I love my 510 - I consider it a big improvement over my old 500 since it uses 2 different sets of satellites that results in better route tracking. I will admit, I am obsessed with Strava and power data and love analyzing the data after a ride. As much as I've heard about bugs, there's only one I ever experience - sometimes on a ride over around 5 hours it'll freeze the ANT+ data, so the power, cadence, and heart rate will all stop responding and I have to restart the Garmin. I'm impressed with the reliability - I use it while riding in the rain all winter and spring and have never had an issue with waterproofness.

I never use it for mapping or following a route though, so I can't comment on that - if you want the maps you'd probably want to go to the 800 series.

vqdriver
08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Dunno ifor garmin makes any non touchscreens now but screen visibility went way down from the 705 to the 810. I'm actually considering a "downgrade" from the 810 to something with buttons

In regards to usability the 810 has been great. Once you get the screen layouts you want there's nothing more to really mess with.

benb
08-04-2015, 02:48 PM
I got a Fenix 3 a few weeks ago.. I've always had an issue with the idea of a bike computer that had to be regularly recharged... if it's coming off at the end of the ride and going on my wrist at the end of the ride the battery life suddenly becomes easy to stomach.

I am enjoying it so far.. it is kind of like the 500/510 edge stuff in terms of on bike use, no true navigation if you get lost. (Pairs with Ant+ stuff, etc..) Awesome stuff for running & OK for swimming so far too. It does the livetrack stuff but I haven't tried it. No touch screen which is a plus for me.. super easy to use.

The easy collection of data is mind blowing for me.. I had a HRM that could download to the computer all the way back in 2001 but it was a PITA to do anything with. Garmin's platform is so damn easy now. Push start, go for a ride.. take my phone out and by the time I can pull it up the whole thing is synced and ready to look at/analyze.

I actually have been enjoying programming my garmin to not show my speed or average speed for easy rides lately.. I don't think I ever had a standard cyclecomputer that really did that... I've always been guilty of chasing the speedo when I was supposed to be riding easy. Lately I set up to display time + distance + cadence + HR on one screen and Time of Day + Elevation + Ascent + calories or something on the other screen. Good reminder for me to take it easy when I'm supposed to.

djg21
08-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Dunno ifor garmin makes any non touchscreens now but screen visibility went way down from the 705 to the 810. I'm actually considering a "downgrade" from the 810 to something with buttons

In regards to usability the 810 has been great. Once you get the screen layouts you want there's nothing more to really mess with.

My 810 has been crashing whenever I try to use turn-by-turn navigation. Garmin Tech Supprt says it's because I've downloaded routes from ridewithgps.com. I doubt it. This appears to be a big problem according to the Garnin Support Forums.

vqdriver
08-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Can't help you there. I've only used the mapping once for a charity ride and it worked fine with the linked route. But then I was mostly just following the flow.

Edit. That's another reason why I want a change. I've little to no need for the maps. I'd much rather have a readable screen

Johnny P
08-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I have Garmin Edge Touring that I like. It has the mapping feature, but not stuff like HR and cadence.

buckfifty
08-04-2015, 04:23 PM
I've got an 810 I might look to part with if you're interested. Looking to upgrade to the edge 1000 or go down to the new 520

tiretrax
08-04-2015, 04:59 PM
I had 2 Garmins crash on me after a year or two and returned them to Performance. Not a big fan. If you have a smartphone, I suggest getting apps for it. You've already got $_00 sunk in that device.

SuperColnago
08-04-2015, 07:11 PM
I was like you went to Garmin 800 - love it.
Can get lost and get home, and great for foreign cycling.
Just did a Pyrenees tour in France (I'm from Ottawa), and the tour gave you courses to download on your Garmin, and courses were great - never got lost over 160km/day for 5 days in a row...highly impressed, and battery life was great on the 8-10 hr days.
810 or 510 is what I recommend.
Cheers, if you are in Ottawa look me up!
Stephen