PDA

View Full Version : Quick Vent on Drivers, ugh.

bikerboy337
08-04-2015, 08:47 AM
So driving in today the power was out all over providence b/c of thunderstorms. I was amazed at how people were just driving 40 mph through traffic lights that were out. It really made me realize that people can just be crappy drivers and makes me worry even more about my riding on the roads. I mean, its pretty simple to just treat the light like a 4 way stop like the law requires you too, but people just don't want to wait, or they are completely ignorant of the law.

Anyways, made me sad to see and makes me feel even less safe to realize the lack of care used when driving. Was even worse to see trucks blowing through the intersection as I assume they know the rules... :crap::crap:

Rant over...

soulspinner
08-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Seems like its getting worse out there, had a rough time with cars turning left in front of me more than once this weekend. I was visible. Im riding very defensively to get out of the urban sprawl and into the fingerlakes area. It was like rush hour on Sunday...:bike:

MattTuck
08-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Whether we like it or not, riding defensively is about arriving safely, not about being right.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
So driving in today the power was out all over providence b/c of thunderstorms. I was amazed at how people were just driving 40 mph through traffic lights that were out. It really made me realize that people can just be crappy drivers and makes me worry even more about my riding on the roads. I mean, its pretty simple to just treat the light like a 4 way stop like the law requires you too, but people just don't want to wait, or they are completely ignorant of the law.

Anyways, made me sad to see and makes me feel even less safe to realize the lack of care used when driving. Was even worse to see trucks blowing through the intersection as I assume they know the rules... :crap::crap:

Rant over...

Ignorance of traffic laws, little to no enforcement of things like this, the ability for even a crappy driver to get their license, little to no or crappy driver's Ed, multiple distractions, some illegal but again, no enforcement.
Most drivers are pretty good but 'always 10%'.

zap
08-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Whether we like it or not, riding defensively is about arriving safely, not about being right.

This.

Always have it in your mind that yes, that motorists will do stupid. Ride your bicycle accordingly.

ps If traffic lights are out when I'm driving, I stop per law but with an eye on the rear view mirror.

tiretrax
08-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Absolutely. Chasing down an errant drive may also result in injury or death. Don't do it.

bikerboy337
08-04-2015, 09:32 AM
I commuted by bike all last week, and was almost hit 3 times... had to drive this week as my wife is away on business so i'm solo with my 3 and 7 yr old... but man, its just crazy out there...luckily on my commute, I have about 9 miles of bike path to use on an 18 mile commute... but those folks turning in Dunkin Donuts almost always try to take me out as they are half asleep and in such a rush to get somewhere...

and i agree, i basically assume (when driving and biking) that every car out there is trying to hit me...

benb
08-04-2015, 10:17 AM
To be fair Providence is the capital of the state that had been shown to have the most ignorant drivers in the country, so yah, lots of those people have no idea the law is to stop & treat the light like a 4-way stop when the power is out.

Odd though, stopping is common sense.