PDA

View Full Version : road bike bar-end mirrors... which one?

thwart
08-04-2015, 08:13 AM
So after my recent accident (my wife's worst fear almost realized), I've decided that I need to make a couple of changes to my ride/routine to both increase my safety and also assuage her fears, especially when I'm on a solo ride.

These include: using a mirror (tried the helmet/glasses mounted ones in the past, just didn't work for me, so I think I've decided that bar end mirrors are the best answer).

FWIW, other changes include using a blinking back light even for daytime rides, and actually wearing the Road ID I already own. :rolleyes:

Seems there are 3 bar end mirrors for drop handlebars. The original design here seems to be the Sprintech Dropbar Mirror, but others are the CycleAware Roadie, and the Italian Road Bike Mirror.

Looks to me like the Italian Road Bike Mirror has the smallest contour and perhaps best optics...

Any experience with any of the above?

fiataccompli
08-04-2015, 08:25 AM
a bit off topic from your inquiry, but for daytime, I'd say if you do not have something insanely bright like a Dinotte then it's not worth the hassle. I finally landed on using the simple, wire type mirror that clips on my glasses & I use it whenever I'm riding solo or in a group of 2-3...I never could find a bar end that offered a consistent line of sight, though perhaps a bit of a convex lens would do so. Good luck & be safe!

MattTuck
08-04-2015, 09:00 AM
I've used a helmet mounted mirror in the past. It (if you haven't tried one) sounds like a better solution to me, than a bar end mirror.

It is in your line of site, as you look forward. The bar end mirror seems like it would only be useful if/when you look at it, and that would take your eyes off what's happening ahead of you.

I'd suggest trying that before the bar end.

tv_vt
08-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Italian Bike Mirror. Buy it from Aspire Velotech. 30 bucks a piece, but I think cheaper if you buy two. Buy one for every bike you own. Goes under the bar tape on the left side (unless you're in the UK...) so you will need to re-do the tape when installing.

These are so, so handy. I would not ride without one. It's just like a rear view mirror in a car. My wife uses a different one that is adjustable, with a rubber ball and socket that plugs into the handlebar. Works for her, but I really like the unobtrusiveness of the IBM. You hardly see it. Check any of my bikes posted in the Gallery and you'll see them.

And yeah, Road ID goes on the wrist for every ride. Never ever ride without some sort of ID. Years ago a friend died while cycling in Utah and he didn't have an ID of any sort on him. He was single - no one at home wondering where he was. Took several days for police to figure out who he was. Not good.

TV

bobswire
08-04-2015, 09:16 AM
I know you said you are thinking of handlebar mount mirror but they suck and your line of sight is limited whereas mirror that attaches to your glasses allow full rear vision with slight head movement while still maintaining sight in front "Take a look" mirror works for me. http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-Cycling-Eyeglass-Mirror/dp/B001VTQNVO

This tail light is fabulous, CygoLite Hotshot SL 2W USB Rechargeable Taillight I car came alongside of me yesterday and said great tail light I saw you a long ways away. That's the point of it, to get the attention of drivers a long ways away or distracted by messaging. These lights get your attention.

Here is one on my bike, back porch in bright daylight.
http://i57.tinypic.com/2lb0uav.jpg

dekindy
08-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Italian bike mirror is limited. Although a little larger, go with Sprintech.

Something that you may not have considered but works great is mounting a mirror on down tube and looking through your legs! It works great!

Bike-Eye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mq07kQL4d0
Favorite except that if you lay your bike on the left side for transport then it will eventually break from the weight of the bike resting on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zefal-95293-Spy-Bicycle-Mirror/dp/B000FY05PG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1438697756&sr=8-15&keywords=bicycle+mirror
Use this one now for several years and love it; but have a Bike-Eye that I am thinking about mounting again because of Bike-Eye's bigger viewing area and better clarity.

eddief
08-04-2015, 09:32 AM
She got tired of taking on and off the Take A Look from her glasses, so she tried a helmet mounted design from this guy and likes it a lot:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192649402/us-flag-4th-of-july-bicycle-rear-view?ref=shop_home_active_4

Not sure I understand those folks who drive and use the mirrors in the car, but can't get used to or don't want to get used to a mirror when riding the bike.

makoti
08-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Not sure I understand those folks who drive and use the mirrors in the car, but can't get used to or don't want to get used to a mirror when riding the bike.

It's not that. It's why? Am I going to ride into the ditch every time someone comes a little close? Is it so I'll know it's safe to turn? I turn my head an have a good look for that. In my area, cars do not sneak up on you. They are ALWAYS there. I ride like there is a car on my wheel at all times. Mirrors make no sense to me.
Rear blinking lights do. I have a Sefras Thunderbolt. Very bright, even on the lower setting.

fiataccompli
08-04-2015, 09:51 AM
The ability to know when you may need to turn and make some communication with a driver behind is why it makes sense to me. Quite the opposite from going into a ditch....sometimes you need to make sure you establish your position on the road to ping the driver to wake up for a moment.

I've also had cases where it seems a driver was going to buzz me and I have turned and made eye contact....which suddenly changes things.

Ultimately I ride as if there is traffic behind as well, but I take safety seriously and perhaps my ears are not as sensitive as some so a visual aid is helpful in giving me a 360 degree situational awareness scan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddief
08-04-2015, 09:55 AM
You use em in a car, why would you not use em on a bike? Same, same...except not for everyone...apparently.

It's not that. It's why? Am I going to ride into the ditch every time someone comes a little close? Is it so I'll know it's safe to turn? I turn my head an have a good look for that. In my area, cars do not sneak up on you. They are ALWAYS there. I ride like there is a car on my wheel at all times. Mirrors make no sense to me.
Rear blinking lights do. I have a Sefras Thunderbolt. Very bright, even on the lower setting.

MattTuck
08-04-2015, 09:56 AM
This. Plus, with some cars running very quiet now, and the times when there is a headwind and car noise doesn't get to you until the car is right there...

The ability to know when you may need to turn and make some communication with a driver behind is why it makes sense to me. Quite the opposite from going into a ditch....sometimes you need to make sure you establish your position on the road to ping the driver to wake up for a moment.

I've also had cases where it seems a driver was going to buzz me and I have turned and made eye contact....which suddenly changes things.

Ultimately I ride as if there is traffic behind as well, but I take safety seriously and perhaps my ears are not as sensitive as some so a visual aid is helpful in giving me a 360 degree situational awareness scan

eddief
08-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I hate having dumb drivers sitting behind me because they won't cross the line to pass me or they are being very nice / cautious. I do try to carefully monitor the situation, trying to look ahead to see oncoming traffic and looking behind to monitor the driver. Drivers seem to appreciate when you let them know you know it is safe for them to pass and wave them to go ahead. I do this very sparingly and carefully so as not to wave them into a head-on. I know this is a controversial practice, but I hate having cars lined up on my tail forever. Controversial or not, hard to do without a mirror.

teleguy57
08-04-2015, 10:09 AM
She got tired of taking on and off the Take A Look from her glasses, so she tried a helmet mounted design from this guy and likes it a lot:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/192649402/us-flag-4th-of-july-bicycle-rear-view?ref=shop_home_active_4....

A mirror is something I need to consider seriously. Following the thread with great interest.

I've seen the bottle cap mirrors before, and even though they look cool, from a safety perspective don't think I want serrated metal edges near my face....

fiataccompli
08-04-2015, 10:12 AM
guess I learned to drive a car scanning the RV mirror every few seconds & I hammered that idea into my kids' heads teaching them to drive. I can't see a good reason to not do the same when solo or 2-3 riders on a bike...and, probably it's not a bad idea in a group, though I find it to be also an annoyance to myself & far less necessary than a dozen-wheeled/dozen-eyed/dozen-eared entity seems to need.

eddief
08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
It is out of the way until you avert your eyes on purpose to the left to look into it. Otherwise "its not there." It is a brilliant and simple design.

guess I learned to drive a car scanning the RV mirror every few seconds & I hammered that idea into my kids' heads teaching them to drive. I can't see a good reason to not do the same when solo or 2-3 riders on a bike...and, probably it's not a bad idea in a group, though I find it to be also an annoyance to myself & far less necessary than a dozen-wheeled/dozen-eyed/dozen-eared entity seems to need.

fiataccompli
08-04-2015, 10:18 AM
And it's a good way to foil the "I look so pro" crowd!

zmudshark
08-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Sprintech mirrors on all of my bikes. I can't fully look over my left shoulder, due to being hit on my bike years ago:(

thwart
08-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Don't know that I'd want to try the glasses or helmet mounted mirror again, given my previous experience. Then there's the issue of presbyopia (middle-aged eye syndrome), where anything less than arm's length away is a bit blurry. Some of you know about that... ;)