PDA

View Full Version : open pro vs. reflex ???

learlove
05-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Does anyone have info on how open pro cd rims compare to mavic reflex?(besides the obvious - clincher/tubular).

I'd like to go tubular on my next build and I'm limited to the reflex rim if I go tubular. Never used, worked with or ridden the mavic reflex so any input would help before I place the order.

basically:

open pro cd, 32 spoke laced to ultegra 10sp, conti force/attack tires

or

mavix refles cd, 32 spoke laced to ultegra 10sp, conti sprinter tires

any input would help:

thanks

Fixed
05-06-2006, 03:56 PM
bro you'll like em i.m.h.o.

Grant McLean
05-06-2006, 04:15 PM
fixed is right.

the shape of the reflex tubular is slightly wider and shallower than the open
pro clincher, but i am of the opinion that it doesn't make a big difference.
You'd have to let your brake pads out a little if you switched wheels.

The channel in the reflex really helps you get the tire mounted straight.
I'm not a fan of conti tires, after riding them for years, i moved on to better
choices. Vittoria, Deda, Veloflex, Gommitalia all make better riding quality
tires in my experience.

-g

05-06-2006, 06:04 PM
The Reflex is slightly wider as mentioned above, and its braking surface is located slightly differently from the OP so ideally you change the brake block position slightly.

The Reflex is a reasonably light and durable rim, but a fair number of people have problems with the ferrules pulling through the inner rim wall -- longitudinal cracks form at one or two ferrules, which then lead to widespread cracks. It's seldom a catastrophic failure, but your wheel goes out of true and won't retrue properly. You have to replace the rim at that point. This problem has been associated with hard anodizings (in which case the silver rims shouldn't have the problem), with overtensioning wheels (although I've tensioned many wheels with a calibrated tensiometer at a wide range of tensions and still run into this problem from time to time), hard use, overweight riders, etc. etc. Truth is, the rim walls are quite thin to keep the weight down and the spoke hole has to be larger to accommodate the ferrule itself as well as the spoke. These aren't bad rims, mind you, just that you shouldn't be surprised if you end up in the minority that has a problem with them. But that's true of just about any rim.

If you value durability, you might keep an eye out for any of the Mavic SSC's -- the Bleu's, Paris Roubaix's, etc. A bit more expensive, but supremely durable. The shot-peened Ambrosio rims are also very nice at a weight comparable to the Reflexes. And DT is supposed to be coming out with a tubular rim that should be very nice -- due sometime around the end of this year.

ergott
05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Does anyone have info on how open pro cd rims compare to mavic reflex?(besides the obvious - clincher/tubular).

I'd like to go tubular on my next build and I'm limited to the reflex rim if I go tubular. Never used, worked with or ridden the mavic reflex so any input would help before I place the order.

basically:

open pro cd, 32 spoke laced to ultegra 10sp, conti force/attack tires

or

mavix refles cd, 32 spoke laced to ultegra 10sp, conti sprinter tires

any input would help:

thanks

I have to ask why only the Reflex?

All the information needs no more elaboration. I do think that the old SSC, PR etc. are not worth the money they are going for. I see them go for over $250 for a set. You would have to burn through 3 sets of Reflex rims!

05-07-2006, 01:24 AM
SSC's are only that pricey if you go to eBay for them. I travel to Europe a lot and find them regularly for $30-60 a rim. Recently I just scored a dozen Paris Roubaix 28-hole rims, brand new, at $25/rim. A local shop had some SSC Bleu's and just didn't know what they had. Now they don't have them any more. Hmmm.

I wish someone would come out with a really fine tubular rim in alloy. You can always go to a 360 Pave or an Ambrosio carbon, but I'd think Mavic would do well if they re-introduced the Bleu. It's not like the extrusion is all that fancy.

I did forget to suggest you look at GP-4's. Similar to the Reflex but with thicker walls, so it's quite a bit more durable yet not outrageous. Quite inexpensive too.

terrytnt
05-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm in the same market and doing quite a bit of research. Many on discussion board have offered suggests and my building is also doing research. YES, word is DT will introduce a tubular... but not soon enough for me.

My fall-back is Reflex CD, however, there's some interest in Velocity's Pro Lite... believe it's a relatively new rim that may be worth considering.

I've always cycled on tubulars, so I'm not going to change now. My build plan is:
- Campy Record 28 front/ 32 rear
- DT aero Speed, 2x/ 3x
- Rims: Mavic Reflex/ FiR ST120/ or Velocity Pro Elites

I'm only 170 and have used GL330 for years, but recently changed over to Reflex Silver rims and they've worked well. I'll use these as backups as I build my new Serotta.

hope this adds a little,

tnt

jerk
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
the open pros use a different and superior metal than the reflexes.

jerk

ergott
05-07-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm in the same market and doing quite a bit of research. Many on discussion board have offered suggests and my building is also doing research. YES, word is DT will introduce a tubular... but not soon enough for me.

My fall-back is Reflex CD, however, there's some interest in Velocity's Pro Lite... believe it's a relatively new rim that may be worth considering.

I've always cycled on tubulars, so I'm not going to change now. My build plan is:
- Campy Record 28 front/ 32 rear
- DT aero Speed, 2x/ 3x
- Rims: Mavic Reflex/ FiR ST120/ or Velocity Pro Elites

I'm only 170 and have used GL330 for years, but recently changed over to Reflex Silver rims and they've worked well. I'll use these as backups as I build my new Serotta.

hope this adds a little,

tnt

The Pro Elites were on vacation for a while. They were made years ago so the design is not new. They just reintroduced them. They are the tubular version of the Deep V.