PDA

View Full Version : Bike for my dad

boconnor811
08-02-2015, 08:41 PM
So my dad has taken an interest getting out on the many paved and crushed gravel trails near his house. He recently had a hip replacement surgery and he is not at the peak of fitness. I want him to have a good experience, and dont want to push my taste in bikes on him.

I think having the support of the LBS as he gets started will be great for him. He went and test rode and liked the Specialized Sirrus Elite, i know nothing about this genre of bikes, but for the price and what you're getting I couldn't help wondering is there anything else he should be considering? Anyone else have experience getting someone setup with a flat bar hybrid bike of sorts at a similar pricepoint?

stephenmarklay
08-02-2015, 09:13 PM
I think a bike like that would be a good all around versatile bike. Then make sure its set up to fit him well and the seat is comfy.

Tickdoc
08-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Any hybrid should do. My dad loved his giant hybrid and rode it up til he couldn't ride any more.

I thought it was goofy looking because he sat so tall on it, but it was comfy and relatively safe.

I echo the lbs suggestion. Any good shop will steer him to an appropriate steed.

Good luck!

biker72
08-03-2015, 10:41 AM
So my dad has taken an interest getting out on the many paved and crushed gravel trails near his house. He recently had a hip replacement surgery and he is not at the peak of fitness. I want him to have a good experience, and dont want to push my taste in bikes on him.

I think having the support of the LBS as he gets started will be great for him. He went and test rode and liked the Specialized Sirrus Elite, i know nothing about this genre of bikes, but for the price and what you're getting I couldn't help wondering is there anything else he should be considering? Anyone else have experience getting someone setup with a flat bar hybrid bike of sorts at a similar pricepoint?

I tried out the carbon/disc brake version of the Sirrus. Very nice.
The Elite won't break the bank if your dad decides he's not a bike rider.

oliver1850
08-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Cannondale Quick is similar, can be had as cheap as $520 with the lowest spec "6" Altus 7 speed build option. You might also look at the Jamis Allegro, like the Quick available in 3 build options. It might make sense to go cheap to start with if you're not sure this is the type of bike he'll like. I built a flat bar road bike out of CAAD3 road frameset a few years back, thinking I might ride it on the local trails. It only fits 28s, but that's wide enough when they are dry. I found that I didn't like the hand position with flat bars and seldom ride it.

Avincent52
08-03-2015, 01:44 PM
My wife bought the Gary Fisher version of the Sirrius and it's a really nice bike. It's got a comfortable position (like a mountain bike) but it rolls fast (like a road bike.) She likes it. My son likes it. I like it.
If your Dad wants a new bike, and it's a good local shop, the Specialized makes some sense because the resale value is very strong.
Good for him getting out and riding.

ceolwulf
08-03-2015, 02:04 PM
My dad's last bike was a Specialized Crossroads, mid-spec one, when they still had the curved top tube and quasi-classic styling.

He never rode that thing without a smile on his face.

boconnor811
08-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks all! Think I'll just push him to support the lbs, and get out as much as he can.