PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you can do everything right..........

Len J
08-02-2015, 06:13 PM
But it still doesn't matter.

Yesterday morning, riding on a long, flat, country road frequented by cyclists, a pickup truck driving at 45 mph or so, hit me from behind.

Ended up hitting a mailbox with my right hand & shifter which then bounced me down hard on my left side. broken clavicle, large deep gash in my left forearm requiring 8 stitches, and I think I left about 2 lbs of skin on the road. Road rash from left shoulder to left knee and 4 severely bruised ribs. I was lucky as hell.

Driver claimed he didn't see me on my white bike w fluorescent green cycling jersey. Clearly he wasn't paying attention as visibility on this road is for several miles.

I don't know how damaged the Sachs is or even if it's rideable as I've been horizontal since the accident.

After riding for forty years, it's gotten noticeably more dangerous the lest 5 or so.

I'm hurting and incredibly angry.

Len.

velotrack
08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
First off - glad you are OK. The bike is secondary. Indeed, it has increasingly become the case that the law (and people!) forget that they're in control of 4000+ pounds of metal, and clearly, don't treat it as such. Driving has become such a "normal" thing that it's easy to forget that cars are heavy, dangerous equipment in uncareful hands.

Wishing a quick recovery. Hope the driver gets what's coming to him, but I fear in today's justice system's attitude towards cars, he may not.

zmudshark
08-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Sorry Len. There seems to be a lot of this lately.

I got no answers.

ofcounsel
08-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Wow. Glad to hear you survived. Clearly, the driver wasn't paying any attention.

joe.e
08-02-2015, 06:25 PM
hey len,

we used to talk a lot in the lounge before I lost touch with riding for a couple years, but I always appreciated your advice. I hope you heal up soon.

joe

Ray
08-02-2015, 06:29 PM
So sorry to hear Len. After all of the struggles you've had getting back on the bike recently, you sure as hell don't need to get knocked off of it. I hope you heal well and fully. And fast!

-Ray

soulspinner
08-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Take care of yourself in every way literally. Heal up.

rePhil
08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Heal well

velomonkey
08-02-2015, 06:42 PM
True dat - you can do everything right . . . you can go above and beyond and waive at drivers in autos when they do "the right thing" and still get nailed.

I've been there.

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. Seriously - I am. We're brothers in a fraternity we don't want any part of . . . .

Listen to the doctors, get a lawyer - hit him in the wallet, maybe he will learn.

Cicli
08-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear. Heal up and get back riding.

93legendti
08-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Sounds awful. I hope you heal quickly.

What was the posted speed limit on the road?

shovelhd
08-02-2015, 06:46 PM
I am so glad that you have manageable injuries. The guy didn't run, so that's good. Were any citations issued? If not, are you going to follow up with the police?

Bob Ross
08-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Jesus! Glad to hear you're okay Len, and probably nearly as enraged as you are that this happened. Why is Driving While Blind not a criminal offense?

makoti
08-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Glad you're able to tell us about it. Heal up. Bikes can be replaced (well, sort of). Lawyer up.

MattTuck
08-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Len, very sorry to hear. Hang in there, and hopefully your recovery is as smooth as possible.

Len J
08-02-2015, 06:58 PM
I am so glad that you have manageable injuries. The guy didn't run, so that's good. Were any citations issued? If not, are you going to follow up with the police?

Indiana is a no fault state, but the sheriff who tool the report went out of his way to tell me he would testify in court on my behalf.

I'll see what ins company position is then decide.

Len

Len J
08-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Sounds awful. I hope you heal quickly.

What was the posted speed limit on the road?

40 mph.

Len

OtayBW
08-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Indiana is a no fault state, but the sheriff who tool the report went out of his way to tell me he would testify in court on my behalf.

Oh Geez. Glad you're going to be OK. Also glad it seems to be clear cut in the eyes of local LE. You'll heal up and be up and at 'em before you know it.

paredown
08-02-2015, 07:03 PM
That completely sucks--it is not as if you don't have enough on your plate.

Heal fast and stay positive.

572cv
08-02-2015, 07:08 PM
In a pickup, you sit high above the road with a generally better view. Absolutely no excuse for not seeing you, that I can imagine.

Just a paceliner from Vermont of apparently similar age wishing you a speedy recovery in every way !

shovelhd
08-02-2015, 07:13 PM

I'll see what ins company position is then decide.

Len

That is awesome.

Does your clavicle require surgery? I just finished up my clavicle reconstruction (6 pieces) using a Rockwood pin. It's designed to be removed. It's a great alternative to the plate and screws.

Len J
08-02-2015, 07:16 PM
That is awesome.

Does your clavicle require surgery? I just finished up my clavicle reconstruction (6 pieces) using a Rockwood pin. It's designed to be removed. It's a great alternative to the plate and screws.

No surgery thankfully. Just a bad crack.

Len

Climb01742
08-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Len,

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident but very glad you're 'reasonably' ok. It is frustrating not to have better answers about how we can be safer out there and find ways to get justice when an inattentive driver hits one of us. Wish luck wasn't our best defense.

Heal fast and strong, pal. Keep us posted on how things go.

benb
08-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Best Wishes for a full & quick recovery.. that's about the worst bike you could possibly have been hit on but there will be something else that will come along if you do have to retire it.

sitzmark
08-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Len - horrible news. Hope your injuries heal fast and you are back on your feet soon. Best wishes for having legal and financial stuff work out in your favor.

tiretrax
08-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Glad you're ok and wish you a speed recovery. I also hope you get satisfaction from the driver. Was he cited or charged with reckless driving?

kramnnim
08-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Ugh. Glad you're okay, hope you feel better soon, wish I could do something to help...

fogrider
08-02-2015, 07:37 PM
sorry to hear, prayers are with you. its going to get better.

atrexler
08-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Hate hearing about this stuff... brutal! Glad to hear there was nothing more serious and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

AngryScientist
08-02-2015, 07:38 PM
sorry to hear. i was just nailed pretty good myself and also got very lucky. i also got the "didnt see you" crap. hope everything works out OK, it can be a tough road.

dbrown
08-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Len, sorry to hear of your accident, and hope you heal quickly. Where were you? I ride a lot north and east of Klipsch, and used to think I was safe with the little traffic.

gasman
08-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Oh man that's terrible. I wish you the best and hope you get justice at least from the insurance company.

bcroslin
08-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear that you were hit and I hope you have a speedy recovery. We're you riding alone when you were hit?

Schmed
08-02-2015, 07:55 PM
I hope you have no lasting injuries. Very sorry about this.

Any more details? Police called?

My kids (15 yrs old and under) want road bikes, and I won't let them at their age. I'll take my (and their) chances on the mountain bike trails.

jghall
08-02-2015, 07:56 PM
As with the others Len, glad you're reasonably ok.

Good to see the police sticking up for you. And that the driver actually took blame.

Being I'm where you are, care to tell me what street you were on?

I'm spending more and more time on a "frankenbike" riding side streets, sidewalks, etc., in the hopes of avoiding this kind of sad story.

Heal well!

Ken Robb
08-02-2015, 07:57 PM
sorry to hear. i was just nailed pretty good myself and also got very lucky. i also got the "didnt see you" crap. hope everything works out OK, it can be a tough road.

Unfortunately it's not "didn't see you crap". They didn't see us. I can't fix that and I am afraid to ride in traffic. I have not yet sold off my bikes because I'm hoping I may get over my fear of riding on the roads in my area but 1 year ago I was in the middle of my 5 weeks in hospital/rehab and I really don't want to ever do that again.

1centaur
08-02-2015, 07:58 PM
I do not understand what being a "no fault" state has to do with being cited? I think of "no fault" only as an insurance mechanism.

I would think, in court, a picture of the road and a picture of the bike/kit would pretty much make it open and shut if the only defense is "i didn't see him.".

Best wishes for a good recovery.

Life can be arbitrarily cruel and arbitrarily awesome. The first makes us angry and the latter we often accept with equanimity. Interesting thing, life.

beeatnik
08-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Heal well.

Len J
08-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Len, sorry to hear of your accident, and hope you heal quickly. Where were you? I ride a lot north and east of Klipsch, and used to think I was safe with the little traffic.

193rd st just west of Spring Mill.

Len

Len J
08-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hear that you were hit and I hope you have a speedy recovery. We're you riding alone when you were hit?

Yes. Solo.

Len

Len J
08-02-2015, 08:48 PM
I hope you have no lasting injuries. Very sorry about this.

Any more details? Police called?

My kids (15 yrs old and under) want road bikes, and I won't let them at their age. I'll take my (and their) chances on the mountain bike trails.

Yea, 911 call.. Ambulance to a trauma center... Sheriff took a great report with pics.

Len J
08-02-2015, 08:50 PM
As with the others Len, glad you're reasonably ok.

Good to see the police sticking up for you. And that the driver actually took blame.

Being I'm where you are, care to tell me what street you were on?

I'm spending more and more time on a "frankenbike" riding side streets, sidewalks, etc., in the hopes of avoiding this kind of sad story.

Heal well!

193 rd just west of spring mill.

etu
08-02-2015, 09:50 PM
thanks for sharing.
I always took comfort in the fact that most accident happen in front of us which means there is some measure of control (even if it's an illusion). Getting rear-ended - that's psychologically more damaging because as you stated "you can do everything right..."

Time to install/invest in rear flashing rear lights and wear a mirror! Can't stop riding so gotta find a way to reduce the risk.

Tickdoc
08-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Well wishes for a fast recovery and glad your still here.

srsoltis
08-02-2015, 10:26 PM
I recommend that you stop posting the specifics on social media. Unless there is a quick settlement, you may be required to disclose these posts. The other side will do their best to use what you write against you.

Also, keep track of all of your time and expenses.

Years ago, I was hit from behind and it took me longer to recover emotionally than it did physically.

I wish you a fast recovery.

ultraman6970
08-02-2015, 10:27 PM
Wish you a quick recovery...

Hope the guy pay everything, it is the least he can do IMO.

weisan
08-02-2015, 11:33 PM
oh my!!!

Len pal...just saw your thread.

Please rest up and heal. I am so sorry...

rustychisel
08-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Keeerist!~

Len, I don't know you, don't normally contribute from the other side of the world, but sincerely, I'm happier to be reading this thread than reading your obituary.

dgauthier
08-03-2015, 01:29 AM
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

"I didn't see you" is just another way of saying "I was looking at my phone."

numbskull
08-03-2015, 04:27 AM
I hope you heal fully from this, both physically and mentally, and can return to what you love.

jamesau
08-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Bad news. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope you're back on the bike soon with undiminished enthusiasm.

fuzzalow
08-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Most unfortunate to hear of this. May you heal up quickly and get back to full capability soon. Being struck by a truck traveling at 45mph is a very serious collision even if it nets down to ~25mph relative to the hit you took. It could have been much worse. Better luck than good anyway.

rugbysecondrow
08-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Get well Len. Sorry this happened to you.

Cheers,

Paul

oldpotatoe
08-03-2015, 06:11 AM
But it still doesn't matter.

Yesterday morning, riding on a long, flat, country road frequented by cyclists, a pickup truck driving at 45 mph or so, hit me from behind.

Ended up hitting a mailbox with my right hand & shifter which then bounced me down hard on my left side. broken clavicle, large deep gash in my left forearm requiring 8 stitches, and I think I left about 2 lbs of skin on the road. Road rash from left shoulder to left knee and 4 severely bruised ribs. I was lucky as hell.

Driver claimed he didn't see me on my white bike w fluorescent green cycling jersey. Clearly he wasn't paying attention as visibility on this road is for several miles.

I don't know how damaged the Sachs is or even if it's rideable as I've been horizontal since the accident.

After riding for forty years, it's gotten noticeably more dangerous the lest 5 or so.

I'm hurting and incredibly angry.

Len.

So sorry, and glad you aren't in a wheelchair. Heal quickly and no doubt it will be said in the 3 pages before this, get a lawyer. DON'T talk to him, his insurance company. Record everything, get a lawyer.

His insurance company will call you, express all sorts of false sympathy, then offer you a stupid low settlement, to save them $, and get you gone. Tell him your lawyer's name and let him/her handle it. I speak from experience, getting hit by a P/U truck in 2002, from behind. Took 3 years but finally settled. It's NOT just your bike/clothes/hospital stay but what may happen 'pop up' medically, relayed to this, way down the road.

oldpotatoe
08-03-2015, 06:13 AM
Yea, 911 call.. Ambulance to a trauma center... Sheriff took a great report with pics.

Did they test the driver for drugs/alcohol?

Len J
08-03-2015, 07:03 AM
Did they test the driver for drugs/alcohol?

No. He was not impaired.

oldpotatoe
08-03-2015, 07:51 AM
No. He was not impaired.

"Driver claimed he didn't see me on my white bike w fluorescent green cycling jersey"

Why didn't he? Asleep? Phone(probably)?

Hindsight is easy but the woman that hit me at 10:30 in the AM, said she fell asleep and Highway Patrol guy also said, he didn't think she was 'impaired'. But she fell asleep at 10:30(?)..I know, too late now but you have a right to be angry, and his insurance company is NOT there to help you. Protect yourself now to prevent being injured twice.

Spinner
08-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Len,

All the best to you for a quick recovery.

Marc

EPIC! Stratton
08-03-2015, 08:01 AM
As someone who's been hit/clipped a few times (the high cost of riding daily in Boston I guess), I'm wishing you a most speedy recovery. Being off the bike for long periods can sometimes hurt more than the injuries :(

That said, be sure to get an excellent attorney. I've had good and bad interactions with insurance companies in all my accidents (drivers at fault in all of them). It helps to have an attorney who will go to bat for you. But before you do that, focus on healing up first. You don't want to get paid preemptively for anything.

Just my $0.02. Again, hope you heal up fast and get back to riding.

zap
08-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Len, hope you recover quickly.

Len J
08-03-2015, 08:52 AM
First off, thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it.

Second, re the bike, en-Richie reached out to let me know to send him the bike, he'd move it to the front of his workload...... can't beat that.... one less thing to worry about.

Len

redir
08-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Sorry to hear this brother. Getting hit from behind is a very difficult one to get past and move on getting back on the road. It definitely helps to have the sheriff on your side. In my case the sop was pretty much doing everything he could to make it look like it was my fault. Fortunately the judge saw otherwise and through the case out of court. Good luck and definitely get a lawyer!

roguedog
08-03-2015, 09:17 AM
damn, sorry to hear, len. good on richie for that bit of help to ease your mind. now focus on healing both inside and out.

Slow Eddie
08-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Aw, man. Sorry to hear this.

Lawyer up, find a good PT, keep track of everything, and get well soon.

E.

thwart
08-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear about it.

But glad to hear your injuries are not more serious! This clearly could have been a life ending incident.

As a fellow temporarily disabled cyclist, I wish you both a speedy recovery and the ability to get past the anger and frustration.

George Ab
08-03-2015, 11:04 AM
So sorry to hear this Len. To a full and speedy recovery.

Clydesdale
08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Glad you are/going to be all right.

Keith A
08-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Wow Len -- I'm so sorry to hear about this, but like the others have said...I'm glad that you are relatively okay and I hope you heal quickly. That's also good news to hear about your bike!

Len J
08-05-2015, 05:05 PM
I just want to take the time to say thanks for all the support both in this thread and via PM.... I really appreciate it.

My recovery is in that place where I'm stiffer and more sore than originally, but, as you all know that's normal.

Sachs is at the LBS getting a preliminary listing of everything damaged for the claim. Once that's done, I'll see if it needs to go back to Richie for frame repair.

All in all, I'm feeling incredibly grateful....... That I was hurt as little as I was.... This could have been really ugly.

My wife is currently battling an illness where the worst thing for her is stress. It's obvious that she is torn between knowing how much cycling means to me and how stressed she gets when I leave to ride..... This accident has brought that to a head. I'm realizing that I may have to stop cycling completely until she is recovered..... I will hate it but she has to come first. This year has been a series of losses due to her illness, this is just one more.

Look around and treasure those you love.... This accident reminded me of how tenuous the time we have with them can be.

Thanks again for all the support.

Len

Ps. I did get an attorney and he is managing everything...one less stressor.

Climb01742
08-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Len,

One thought on your riding...could you ride on a trainer until your wife gets better? Maybe get yourself something like a Wahoo Kickr that mitigates the downsides of a trainer. I know it's not like riding outside but it could do two things...put your wife at ease...and keep your fitness up until you can ride on the roads again, then hit it hard with your fitness intact. Could that be a workable compromise?

Sounds like you've been dealt some blows this year, but when we met, you struck me as a man of strength and will. Hope those traits see you through this. All my good wishes to you.

weisan
08-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Len pal, thanks for the update. If I may, I would like to appeal that you don't give up cycling completely but "modify" your riding to alleviate your wife's concerns.
Maybe from now on, ride only in the park or restricted traffic bike paths, get a fun bike to ride on ..you may have to adjust your own expectations. Personally, I think with your home situation, you need an outlet more than ever to stay healthy mentally and physically so that you can take care of those around you. It seems to me that biking is that perfect outlet.

Thanks for listenin'.

Len J
08-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Len,

One thought on your riding...could you ride on a trainer until your wife gets better? Maybe get yourself something like a Wahoo Kickr that mitigates the downsides of a trainer. I know it's not like riding outside but it could do two things...put your wife at ease...and keep your fitness up until you can ride on the roads again, then hit it hard with your fitness intact. Could that be a workable compromise?

Sounds like you've been dealt some blows this year, but when we met, you struck me as a man of strength and will. Hope those traits see you through this. All my good wishes to you.

I've thought of that and have some thinking and research to do. The tough part here is it's likely to be at least two years before she's recovered enough that she could handle any stress.

But it's a viable option... Thanks.

Thanks for the positive energy.

Len

Len J
08-05-2015, 05:48 PM
Len pal, thanks for the update. If I may, I would like to appeal that you don't give up cycling completely but "modify" your riding to alleviate your wife's concerns.
Maybe from now on, ride only in the park or restricted traffic bike paths, get a fun bike to ride on ..you may have to adjust your own expectations. Personally, I think with your home situation, you need an outlet more than ever to stay healthy mentally and physically so that you can take care of those around you. It seems to me that biking is that perfect outlet.

Thanks for listenin'.

Yea, the outlets important.

I suspect a structured gym program is the minimum I need.

Lots to process.

Len

thwart
08-05-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm in a somewhat similar situation after my recent crash.

My wife has always been anxious about my cycling safety, and her worse fear was almost realized that day.

Given what happened, she's actually finding it difficult to ride her own bike presently, at least on the road.

At the same time, she realizes that cycling is a very important outlet for me. So we've compromised with some additional safety measures and also fewer solo rides in the future (later this year when I'm hopefully cleared to resume riding).

Hope you can eventually come up with a solution that allows some cycling.

cv1966
08-05-2015, 07:25 PM
So sorry and very glad it wasn't worse. Get well soon.

rounder
08-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Len, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ken, I used to read about you teaching how to drive race cars. Never had a crash as bad as you did on your Ducati. My biggest crash was on a downhill with a front wheel blowout and could not control it (i'm a wimp). To me, fear (or at least respect) after a crash is a reasonable concern...especially if you have family responsibilities.

Avincent52
08-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Get a lawyer - hit him in the wallet, maybe he will learn.

I'm so sorry about your accident, of course.

And honestly, there's not much else you can do to act as a deterrent.
He won't get anything but the most minor traffic violation, if that.
But if you make him, and his insurance company, pay, it might make someone pay a little attention, so when he's at a cocktail party he'll tell a friend that his rates went up