PDA

View Full Version : Setmana Catalana

jeffg
03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Nice to see Leipheimer win the queen stage. Hopefuly he will have a role to play in this year's TdF!

On a side note, I have never understood the proces Ullrich takes of getting into shape every year. In today's stage, Leipheimer, VDB, Mayo, Heras were all in the top ten, while Jan was over 28 minutes down! Of course, VDB wants to be peaking soon for the spring classics, but it would seem the others listed will be focusing on the TdF and/or Vuelta. That being said, Ullrich's performance at the Tour last year speaks to how he can excel with what seems to be suboptimal preparation. A mystery as rich as the layers of Schwarzwälderkirschtorte, I suppose ...

saab2000
03-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I think that Jan Ullrich is the greatest raw talent in cycling today and this is what allows him to do this.

Barring injury or some unforeseen event (crash, scandal, etc.) he will be in shape for the Tour.

Climb01742
03-25-2004, 03:31 PM
chris carmichael made an interesting point--if you get into shape too close to a race, or have to do something too drastic too close to a race -- like lose lots of weight -- it can leave you depleted. yes, jan arrives in shape in july, but is he doing drastic things in june to get there? while lance's body has had more time to adapt to peak condition?

Kevin
03-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Sheryl Crow will keep you in shape.

Kevin

Elefantino
03-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Schwarzwälderkirschtorte? Does that mean Ullrich makes the yummy sound?

David Berry
03-26-2004, 12:29 AM
I think it is always good to see another American win a race. Nothing against Lance Armstrong, and no doubt that the history books will record what a fantastic career he has had. But American cycling needs to be more than just one man.

There was a thread on this a couple months back, but what happens to American interest in cycling when Lance Armstrong retires. If it isn't this year, then is it next year? Whenever it is, we must hope that there is another rider or riders who will pick up and be the standard bearer for American cycling.

Lets hope this is just the first of many victories for American riders this year.

David