PDA

View Full Version : Rousey, 34 Seconds at UFC 190

Tony
08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
UFC's biggest star Ronda Rousey defended her bantamweight title.
She is so dominant in the ring, I don't see anyone in the ranks taking her title.

ultratoad
08-02-2015, 09:58 AM
She is amazing....

SeanScott
08-02-2015, 11:32 AM
It was crazy how the outspoken Brazilian was just totally humbled.

Rousey is amazing.

bobswire
08-02-2015, 01:08 PM
I was able to watch it live, found a free stream online. She really is the real thing plus she comes across as genuine. Whereas her opponent was rude, obnoxious,condescending and trying to get into Rousey head. It didn't work.:hello:

BurritoGuru
08-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Most of these fighters barely make any money when compared to other professional sports. They act out verbally to drum up more business so that they get paid more based on PPV and Merchandise sales. I don't agree with it but it brings more people in. Rousey got paid less than 2 other fighters.
She is an amazing fighter and gets paid less than other champions.

SELFdizolve
08-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Seems like all her matches are done in less than a minute. She is a beast!

stephenmarklay
08-02-2015, 03:37 PM
I知 going to have to watch this. She is going to have to start fight the men.

gdw
08-02-2015, 04:01 PM
"She is an amazing fighter and gets paid less than other champions."

+1 Female fighters in general are grossly underpaid and many make less than the ring girls.

Climb01742
08-02-2015, 05:37 PM
she's the real deal. she deserves equal prize money to men.

i'd love to see her fight mayweather.

joe.e
08-02-2015, 06:19 PM

+1 Female fighters in general are grossly underpaid and many make less than the ring girls.

I think ALL fighters are grossly underpaid (this is what happens when there is no fighter's union), but especially so for women. Its also crazy to think that rousey made less in disclosed money than lots of other fighters. Even if she is making a huge sum on the back end (ppv %, etc) she is their most marketable star and most dominant champion, and her cross over ability is off the charts (as evidenced by this post on a bike message board).

r_mutt
08-03-2015, 07:23 AM
I guess she thought twice about promising to "punish her" for making statements about her friends and family.

wallymann
08-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Rousey is the real deal. But she has plenty of A-HOLE juju to go around. Check out all of the nonsense she spews around her past fights with miesha tate. I think its an act or a way to get amped up to fight, as Tate is a choir-girl in comparison to rousey.

But from a sporting perspective, she owns the bantamweight ufc women. Obvious physical gifts and total commitment to the sport. Serious respect .

...She really is the real thing plus she comes across as genuine. Whereas her opponent was rude, obnoxious,condescending and trying to get into Rousey head....

tv_vt
08-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Any links to this match anywhere?

wc1934
08-03-2015, 12:26 PM
I thought that RR said that she did not want to end it quickly (because of the crude remarks Correiaher made about her father's suicide) - she wanted to punish Correiaher and make her suffer - a la Ali's tko over the "Rabbit" Patterson.

eBAUMANN
08-03-2015, 12:31 PM

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--BuUf5bWO--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/1369257424626484515.gif

William
08-03-2015, 12:36 PM
:)

William

daker13
08-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Rousey is the real deal. But she has plenty of A-HOLE juju to go around. Check out all of the nonsense she spews around her past fights with miesha tate. I think its an act or a way to get amped up to fight, as Tate is a choir-girl in comparison to rousey.

I liked Rousey, until I saw the way she treated Tate. She acted like she was about nine years old. But Rousey has definitely continued to grow as a fighter, and her striking looked particularly good in those 34 seconds.

rugbysecondrow
08-03-2015, 12:59 PM
UFC/MMA is a niche market, a strong one, but still a niche. Female fighters even more so.

Boxing and the BS surrounding the organization of that sport has turned me off from watching contact sports. When I cut the cable cord and started streaming content, that sealed the deal as UFC/MMA is strictly a cable/PPV enterprise.

Not to denigrate or talk bad about Rousey or female fighters, but the MMA/Boxing fights that I have seen are just not as good of quality as the male fights.

tuxbailey
08-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Full fight:

http://i.imgur.com/YkTlcUx.gifv

She said "Don't Cry" at the end.

unterhausen
08-03-2015, 02:01 PM
the, "don't cry" thing was a quote from her opponent.

I like the fact that they can straighten out an opponent that is holding them by kneeing them in the gut. Lots better than boxing, where holding has no penalty

Mark McM
08-03-2015, 03:57 PM

It seems ironic to see a statement like this in a cycling discussion group, when it was largely opined in a separate discussion that there is no problem with the large disparity in pay and recognition between men and women racing cyclists. Why is that we have so much more respect for women in other sports than for women in our own sport?

MattTuck
11-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Don't follow UFC, but came across an article about the latest fight in the Economist, of all places.

Rousey refused to tap gloves at the start of the fight (A sign of disrespect?), and then got KO'd in the second round.

I guess it is back to the gym, and train more... and enjoy your humble pie.

p nut
11-19-2015, 07:55 AM
I don't follow ufc either, but she got tore up in the last fight.

Hawker
11-19-2015, 07:59 AM
She got beaten terribly by another athlete with only three UFC fights. I'm not a big fan of UFC at all...but this was akin to Floyd Mayweather getting pounded by a relative unknown.

fellowpicker
11-19-2015, 08:00 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/8585419264/h035C03A6/

I live in Albuquerque and have met Holly Holm by chance a couple of times. She was very gracious and humble. I was very pleased that she took Rousey down a couple of notches. Holm has a long history in the fight business and nobody works harder at their game.

ultraman6970
11-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Not an expert in this sports but when I saw the weight ins, RR looked overweight, not even close to what she was in the other fights.

Second problem, Holm is a boxer that kick like a mule but mainly she is a boxer, non of the other RR contenders was a boxer. Big difference in the way to approach the fight for RR, you cant go and follow a boxer all over the cage, big no no.

The other problem for RR is that she is a judoka, she goes for the grab. a boxer wont let a jodoka to even touch her and while going back she will be trowing punches and kicks out of nowhere (thing that happened apparently). from the little pictures or videos have seen RR went for the grab all the time... champion needs to wait for the opponent, specially with this boxer.

RR gonna have to learn boxing now, or retire. IMO she got a psychological KO too.

William
11-19-2015, 08:51 AM
This is some of what I posted in one of the fighting groups I run...

Holm made Rhonda come to her. Make space by opening the range...and then stick her when she steps in. Well played in not letting her close to try and get her into grappling range.

Solid basics and good footwork and body angling. Like I致e said many times before, when you look at the skill level of many in the UFC, there are very few that excel in the respective ranges. You've got a lot of "Jack-of-all-trades, Masters of none". Don't get me wrong, it takes heart and a willingness to weather the storm to get in there and throw down. But how many fights do you see where fighters are leaving their hands down, heads exposed, no angling, footwork, or range control? A lot! Sure standing toe to toe brawling it out seeing who can last the longest it is exciting to the fans, but dumb (in my opinion) for the fighters to take the damage and hope they last longer than the other person. Rousey finally went up against someone who excels at range control, footwork, and putting them together with striking mechanics.

Holm and John Jones having fun, but you can see she knows how to work the ranges
https://www.facebook.com/190816697621587/videos/927931900576726/

William

FlashUNC
11-19-2015, 08:51 AM
She got beaten terribly by another athlete with only three UFC fights. I'm not a big fan of UFC at all...but this was akin to Floyd Mayweather getting pounded by a relative unknown.

That's not really that accurate. She's held both the IBF and WBF titles for her weight class and defended those boxing titles 18 times over the course of her career. She's new to MMA, yes, but she's had a long and distinguished career as a boxer where she was at the top of the sport for a long time.

This isn't some neo-pro fighter coming in and knocking out Rousey. Wasn't her first rodeo by a long shot.

rugbysecondrow
11-19-2015, 08:52 AM
I think MMA is entertaining, but I still believe that the best boxer would beat the best MMA fighter 3 out of 4 times because they are so skilled at defense, moving, striking, fight fitness, patience over the duration of the match (prep for 12 rounds).

I also think you can teach a skilled boxer to grapple much easier than you can teach a skilled grappler to be a boxer. The skills it takes to be a great boxer will overwhelm even great traditional MMA fighters.

I am biased, I really enjoy boxing. I find it to be a more technically difficult sport, a more skilled sport, and one that tests fitness, mental toughness in a way the MMA/UFC doesn't.

The UFC, has succeeded not because it is a better product, it isn't at all. The business of UFC has done better than the business of boxing. The number of boxing federations/title granting bodies are ridiculous in the sport of boxing, so much so you don't know who has what title and for which organization.

rugbysecondrow
11-19-2015, 08:53 AM
That's not really that accurate. She's held both the IBF and WBF titles for her weight class and defended those boxing titles 18 times over the course of her career. She's new to MMA, yes, but she's had a long and distinguished career as a boxer where she was at the top of the sport for a long time.

This isn't some neo-pro fighter coming in and knocking out Rousey. Wasn't her first rodeo by a long shot.

Exactly. They are calling this a huge upset, but it shouldn't be viewed this way at all.

Not to knock UFC fans, but that sport is perfect for simple fans.

William
11-19-2015, 09:00 AM
Exactly. They are calling this a huge upset, but it shouldn't be viewed this way at all.

Not to knock UFC fans, but that sport is perfect for simple fans.

It would only be an upset to fans in MMA circles...who honestly, most wear Tap Out shirts and don't train.

William

rugbysecondrow
11-19-2015, 09:04 AM
It would only be an upset to fans in MMA circles...who honestly, most wear Tap Out shirts and don't train.

William

Yeah, i deleted my first statement "guys who are chubby basement dwellers in their Mother's house". The Tap Out or Affliction shirts are spot on though. haha

http://i.imgur.com/HU22O.png

William
11-19-2015, 09:16 AM
I think MMA is entertaining, but I still believe that the best boxer would beat the best MMA fighter 3 out of 4 times because they are so skilled at defense, moving, striking, fight fitness, patience over the duration of the match (prep for 12 rounds).

I also think you can teach a skilled boxer to grapple much easier than you can teach a skilled grappler to be a boxer. The skills it takes to be a great boxer will overwhelm even great traditional MMA fighters.

I am biased, I really enjoy boxing. I find it to be a more technically difficult sport, a more skilled sport, and one that tests fitness, mental toughness in a way the MMA/UFC doesn't.

The UFC, has succeeded not because it is a better product, it isn't at all. The business of UFC has done better than the business of boxing. The number of boxing federations/title granting bodies are ridiculous in the sport of boxing, so much so you don't know who has what title and for which organization.

I would say...that depends. A few boxers have tried their hands over the years and didn't do well. Someone with grappling skills that has footwork and can close has a good chance at getting a good straight boxer down and out of their element. Develop some grappling skills and they stand a much better chance. There are a few people in Pro MMA who are very good strikers, usually coming out of Muay Thai circles and then developing some ground game. I think boxing is a great sport, but Muay Thai also develops good boxing skills and works in kicks, knees, elbows, and close range clinch work which translates better into MMA.

Boxing vs Muay Thai? Put a good boxer and a good Muay Thai Boxer into a ring and let them work their respective skills....I would give the nod to the Muay Thai guy the majority of the time.

Rhonda's issue was that she had no footwork and couldn't maneuver through the ranges. She's been used to people who want to duke it out/brawl toe to toe so she can trade and/or take down.

William

William

Tony
11-19-2015, 09:36 AM
I would say...that depends. A few boxers have tried their hands over the years and didn't do well. Someone with grappling skills that has footwork and can close has a good chance at getting a good straight boxer down and out of their element. Develop some grappling skills and they stand a much better chance. There are a few people in Pro MMA who are very good strikers, usually coming out of Muay Thai circles and then developing some ground game. I think boxing is a great sport, but Muay Thai also develops good boxing skills and works in kicks, knees, elbows, and close range clinch work which translates better into MMA.

Boxing vs Muay Thai? Put a good boxer and a good Muay Thai Boxer into a ring and let them work their respective skills....I would give the nod to the Muay Thai guy the majority of the time.

Rhonda's issue was that she had no footwork and couldn't maneuver through the ranges. She's been used to people who want to duke it out/brawl toe to toe so she can trade and/or take down.

William

I agree, this has been proven over and over again not just in the ring, but the many fights I've witnessed over the years in the CDCR.

William
11-19-2015, 09:55 AM
As an aside, I have a lot of Muay Thai footage from the late 1990痴 and early 2000痴 on VHS that I知 slowly converting to DVD and then archiving at the youtube channel link below. I have quite a bit more that I値l be slowly adding as I have the time.

Keep in mind that the hands are scored the lowest in traditional Muay Thai fights so there tends to be more emphasis on kicks, knees, elbows and clinch work. That痴 not to say they don稚 know how to box, and in the following years after these fights you see even more skilled boxing developing. The different Muay Thai camps tend to be known for different things?some known more for their kicks, others for knee or elbow emphasis but in the end you have to be able to string it all together.

Also, note how the tactics change in the Muay Kaad Chuek videos where they are fighting with no gloves, just hand wraps as an homage to the days where fighters wore hemp rope (and some say) coated in horse glue and then ground into broken seashells.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh81e1C9yseiw9WzqXBdFDA/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

William

93legendti
11-19-2015, 09:56 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_uCeBCYtU

wallymann
11-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Second problem, Holm is a boxer that kick like a mule but mainly she is a boxer, non of the other RR contenders was a boxer. Big difference in the way to approach the fight for RR, you cant go and follow a boxer all over the cage, big no no.

holm had the size and strength to minimize rousey's grappling skills.

without grappling and not being able to bully her opponents with size/strength...rousey's 1-dimensional game was exposed: she doesnt have the skills to defeat a world-class boxer/kickbocker.

cormier is spot on when he says it'll take a year for rousey to develop those skills sufficiently to challenge holm.

no freaking way. once an MMA fighter has the skills to diffuse a boxer's 1-dimensional game and get inside, the fight is over. a boxer has no skills to deal with the mixed-part. all it takes is 1 trip and a boxer will be toast. this comes up time and time again. until a boxer learns more than boxing, they'll be short-lived in the octagon. plus boxers use those big pillowy gloves, MMA fighters use (and train to get hit by) really small gloves.

the whole point of MMA/UFC is to figure out which kind of fighter is the best, and it's been proven time and time again that a 1-dimensional fighter will get dominated by a multi-dimensional fighter the majority of times -- a pure boxer has *never* been an MMA/UFC champion in the history of the sport!

world-class boxer James Toney vs. world-class MMA Randy Couture: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvme71_029-randy-couture-vs-james-toney-ufc-118-28-08-2010_sport

coylifut
11-19-2015, 08:25 PM
I've seen many fighters suffer knock outs. I've seen a ring death live and in person.

She suffered a horrific knockout. She was way out, way before she hit the canvas. The people that love her, should keep her out of the ring.

she had a great run and should step away for her own personal well being.

for her sake, I hope to never see her in the ring again.

denapista
11-19-2015, 08:26 PM
I like when people use James Toney as an example. That guy was known for not having any ring mobility and purely using his philly shoulder roll. My ex best friend dated him and we always double dated. Toney was Floyd before Floyd when it comes to flashing cash and talking loud. Toney actually raised Floyd when Floyd was younger as they're both from Detroit area.

Rousey got smoked. I had a feeling it was going to happen too but I still felt Holms was going to fold under the UFC bright lights and get submitted. Vegas odds went down from 2000 to 900 or so because they must have seen something before the fight started. I think it was a combo of things that lead to Rousey's demise. To be the best, you need every aspect of your camp to be on point as well as your own mental status. Rousey somewhat checked out from UFC her last couple of fights it feels. Her persona got bigger than her craft. Her team is horrible. Did they not have tape on Holly and devise a plan to avoid a pure boxer with amazing footwork and truly understand angles? Rousey was eating straight left after straight left. She was too cocky to adjust and realize she was in a fight with a real fighter. I'm glad she lost. I truly appreciate the best who are humble about their greatness.

People are crying for a rematch and I can't figure out why.... Rousey and Holm are on two different levels of fighting skill. You can't teach someone in a year abut boxing angles and footwork. That takes time and something fighters perfect over years of sparring and in ring fighting. I guarantee Rousey doesn't want this rematch. She needs a new trainer and a whole bunch more. Holm could sweep through the UFC on a tear, but history has these kind of upset fighters losing the belt to someone of lesser skill. I think Holm will sweep through the UFC ala Chris Weidman. She has talent and skill and most of all doesn't fold under pressure. If she keeps working on submissions and tumbling, she'll be unstoppable

wallymann
11-19-2015, 09:13 PM
....I think it was a combo of things that lead to Rousey's demise. To be the best, you need every aspect of your camp to be on point as well as your own mental status. Rousey somewhat checked out from UFC her last couple of fights it feels. Her persona got bigger than her craft. Her team is horrible. Did they not have tape on Holly and devise a plan to avoid a pure boxer with amazing footwork and truly understand angles? Rousey was eating straight left after straight left. She was too cocky to adjust and realize she was in a fight with a real fighter. I'm glad she lost....

hubris, yes?

malcolm
11-20-2015, 09:08 AM
I think Ronda began to believe all the hype. Thought she was unstoppable and took this fight for granted.
There is always someone hungrier, in the gym training studying your fights and moves while you are being seen in all the right places, Jimmy Kimmel etc. they are working.
I think we saw an example. Holm was prepared and knew all rousey's moves. Ronda clearly wasn't having the success she expected and became angry and frustrated, a formula for disaster in any type of fighting.

As far as boxing goes. I used to be a huge fan and still think in the right circumstance it's the purest sport going. Don't watch MMA much at all, but I'm with big William on this one. No rules and similar weight, strength and skill in the respective discipline and the muay thai guy will take out the boxer every time. Brazilian Jui jitsu most likely as well.

denapista
11-20-2015, 09:58 AM
I think to be a great fighter, you need to have some kind of bravado or self pride in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself, then your camp won't believe in you either. Rousey seemed to exceed her self pride to the point where she didn't train well and focused on other things. It was clear in that fight, her camp didn't have a game plan for Holm and her supreme boxing skills and angles. Rhonda's mom has been complaining about her camp and we all see why. I remind you this is physical combat she's involved in, meaning one punch could kill you. I would hope you focus on your defense and take it serious. If not, one punch or kick could be the end of your life. I watched a boxing fight and saw a guy die in the ring. Pretty nuts.

Rousey came out there with no Plan B for that fight. She looked out of shape and was dead tired, which IMHO shows she wasn't focused 100% on fighting and training. She probably cake walked through her camp for this fight and everyone around her took this fight lightly. Oh well... She's got beat like a bag of potatoes and I hope she has an ounce of humility to do an interview, as she's been hiding since her return to the states.

The comments on her IG post are just too funny..

https://www.instagram.com/p/-DMAcAhESQ/?taken-by=rondarousey

shovelhd
11-20-2015, 10:35 AM
That wasn't the Rhonda Rousey that I have seen in the past. She was overweight, out of shape, and showed a lack of preparation and commitment for a title defense. We've seen this all before, when star athletes pursue other interests and lose focus on what got them there. I don't think there's any middle ground for her. She's got to commit 100% to regaining her title or retire now and try and become the next Dwayne Johnson.

denapista
11-20-2015, 11:34 AM
The rock transitioned from WWE (Fake fighting). Rousey can leave now, but her appeal was the undefeated record and walking though her competition. Sucks, but society today killer her appeal, in the form of Meme's, etc. Public opinion is huge in the world of social media, and the opinion is not working in Rousey's favor right now. If she came out on the Tonight show and says she got her ass kicked and ate some humble pie and shows genuine respect for Holly Holm, then the public will be back on her side. It sucks that stars have to submit to that, but it's the world we live in. If she doesn't, she'll be known as a fraud cocky fighter who got her ass handed to her, and walked away from 1 loss.

That's going to be the narrative of Rhonda Rousey if she walks away for Hollywood. Does Gina Carano ring a bell? Exact same position as Rousey and she's nowhere to be found. Gina was Rhonda and the exact same thing happened. Carano was the bright star of STRIKEFORCE until she lost to a roided out Cyborg. Carano was also dabbling in Hollywood and walked away for the Hollywood lights. I think she made one movie and that's it.

Ironic.. Jose Aldo posted the exact same comment.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/11/18/9755668/one-ufc-champ-thinks-ronda-rousey-will-pull-gina-carano-retire-from-mma

malcolm
11-20-2015, 11:40 AM
The rock transitioned from WWE (Fake fighting). Rousey can leave now, but her appeal was the undefeated record and walking though her competition. Sucks, but society today killer her appeal, in the form of Meme's, etc. Public opinion is huge in the world of social media, and the opinion is not working in Rousey's favor right now. If she came out on the Tonight show and says she got her ass kicked and ate some humble pie and shows genuine respect for Holly Holm, then the public will be back on her side. It sucks that stars have to submit to that, but it's the world we live in. If she doesn't, she'll be known as a fraud cocky fighter who got her ass handed to her, and walked away from 1 loss.

That's going to be the narrative of Rhonda Rousey if she walks away for Hollywood. Does Gina Carano ring a bell? Exact same position as Rousey and she's nowhere to be found. Gina was Rhonda and the exact same thing happened. Carano was the right star of WEC until she lost to a roided out Cyborg. Carano was also dabbling in Hollywood and walked away for the Hollywood lights. I think she made one movie and that's it.

I agree that she should own it. I would have gone on some talk show as soon as I got out of the hospital and let everyone see my face and the ass whoopin I took. I would have given kudos to Holm for a good fight and let it be know I was heading back to the gym to redeem myself.
I think people would buy into that.

denapista
11-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Not owning it is killing her brand minute by minute. This comment from another board sums it up perfectly. She's going to try and run to Hollywood, but the appeal was her fighting skills and beating women up. Me personally, I wouldn't pay to see her in the new "Roadhouse" movie. Why remake something that was so great! Patrick Swayze kicked ass all for 2 hours straight and ripped a dudes adam's apple out by the lake. AMAZING!

The Rock is a very good actor. Ronda will get tossed stupid roles, that involve fighting or being tough, when Holly Holm killed that mystique. What a world we live in. Carano can't even get a major role anymore. As soon as she lost to Cyborg, the same mystique was gone and acting somewhat requires real acting skills. Tell that to Keanu Reeves

Comment from UFC site:

The only reason they want Rhonda is because she痴 the "baddest woman on the planet," not because she痴 hot or she can act. She痴 just there to bring "street cred" to the movie. So if she quit MMA, that would be like Mike Tyson going into movies. Sure there will be cameo-type appearances available, but she値l never be what The Rock is.

crownjewelwl
11-20-2015, 11:58 AM
hey...tyson was great in the hangover!

Not owning it is killing her brand minute by minute. This comment from another board sums it up perfectly. She's going to try and run to Hollywood, but the appeal was her fighting skills and beating women up. Me personally, I wouldn't pay to see her in the new "Roadhouse" movie. Why remake something that was so great! Patrick Swayze kicked ass all for 2 hours straight and ripped a dudes adam's apple out by the lake. AMAZING!

The Rock is a very good actor. Ronda will get tossed stupid roles, that involve fighting or being tough, when Holly Holm killed that mystique. What a world we live in. Carano can't even get a major role anymore. As soon as she lost to Cyborg, the same mystique was gone and acting somewhat requires real acting skills. Tell that to Keanu Reeves

Comment from UFC site:

The only reason they want Rhonda is because she痴 the "baddest woman on the planet," not because she痴 hot or she can act. She痴 just there to bring "street cred" to the movie. So if she quit MMA, that would be like Mike Tyson going into movies. Sure there will be cameo-type appearances available, but she値l never be what The Rock is.

William
11-20-2015, 12:28 PM
That wasn't the Rhonda Rousey that I have seen in the past. She was overweight, out of shape, and showed a lack of preparation and commitment for a title defense. We've seen this all before, when star athletes pursue other interests and lose focus on what got them there. I don't think there's any middle ground for her. She's got to commit 100% to regaining her title or retire now and try and become the next Dwayne Johnson.

I don't think she was overweight, she was just underprepared. To used to being able take down opponents who rush forward with her excellent Judo skills. She wasn't prepared for someone who could stick and move and work the range. She and her team are responsible for the shellacking she took.

If she had at least put up a good fight, lost, and was gracious about it there would be a lot of forgiveness from fans and media. As it turned out, she would still have earned some respect if she had been gracious in defeat, but the longer the silence grows the harder it will be. Pro fighting is a spectacle, winning is important, but you also earn the thumbs up or down in how you perform, win-lose-or draw.

William

rugbysecondrow
11-20-2015, 02:30 PM
People are crying for a rematch and I can't figure out why.... Rousey and Holm are on two different levels of fighting skill. You can't teach someone in a year abut boxing angles and footwork. That takes time and something fighters perfect over years of sparring and in ring fighting. I guarantee Rousey doesn't want this rematch. She needs a new trainer and a whole bunch more. Holm could sweep through the UFC on a tear, but history has these kind of upset fighters losing the belt to someone of lesser skill. I think Holm will sweep through the UFC ala Chris Weidman. She has talent and skill and most of all doesn't fold under pressure. If she keeps working on submissions and tumbling, she'll be unstoppable

And this was my point, it is easier for a boxer to attain the grappling skills than it is for a grappler to gain the boxing skills.

no freaking way. once an MMA fighter has the skills to diffuse a boxer's 1-dimensional game and get inside, the fight is over. a boxer has no skills to deal with the mixed-part. all it takes is 1 trip and a boxer will be toast. this comes up time and time again. until a boxer learns more than boxing, they'll be short-lived in the octagon. plus boxers use those big pillowy gloves, MMA fighters use (and train to get hit by) really small gloves.

the whole point of MMA/UFC is to figure out which kind of fighter is the best, and it's been proven time and time again that a 1-dimensional fighter will get dominated by a multi-dimensional fighter the majority of times -- a pure boxer has *never* been an MMA/UFC champion in the history of the sport!

world-class boxer James Toney vs. world-class MMA Randy Couture: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvme71_029-randy-couture-vs-james-toney-ufc-118-28-08-2010_sport

My man, nothing one dimensional about Holmes game. The facets that boxing brings are multidimensional. You say "A boxer has no skills to deal with the mixed part", but you know you said that in a thread that highlights the complete obliteration the best female MMA fighter took at the hands of a boxer turned MMA fighter.

And James Toney was old and fat when he fought.

rugbysecondrow
11-20-2015, 02:31 PM

William

William

I agree, I hadn't thought of Muay Thai.

malcolm
11-20-2015, 03:11 PM
And this was my point, it is easier for a boxer to attain the grappling skills than it is for a grappler to gain the boxing skills.

My man, nothing one dimensional about Holmes game. The facets that boxing brings are multidimensional. You say "A boxer has no skills to deal with the mixed part", but you know you said that in a thread that highlights the complete obliteration the best female MMA fighter took at the hands of a boxer turned MMA fighter.

the gloves are more for the hands than to protect your opponents face.

Holm was also a wold class kick boxer before her MMA foray.

quoted the wrong thread sorry rugby

daker13
11-20-2015, 03:48 PM
I don't think she was overweight, she was just underprepared.

William

Yeah, she did look pretty big in the ring, but she was cut at the weigh-in... I was wondering about that myself. Was that water weight she put on after making weight?

Tony
11-20-2015, 06:34 PM

It looked to me that RR was out of sorts, under a whole lot of stress leading to the fight. There was lots of talk that her stand up game has improved for this fight. Rousey is full of herself, think she wanted to end the match quickly, standing, proving she is as good a striker as Holm's which she failed. I really believe if she stuck to her grappling skills this fight would have turned out differently.

Ti Designs
11-21-2015, 04:51 AM

There should be one day a year where all internet use is suspended and all arguments are done in person...

wallymann
11-21-2015, 08:35 AM

oh, i do not believe and never meant to suggest that holm is a 1-dimensional boxer!!! holm took the time and did the work to become a true multi-dimensional MMA fighter. while her grappling may not be world class, she's got the great hands/feet of a boxer, the great long-range striking of a kick-boxer, and sufficient strength/size/grappling skills to at least neutralize rousey's grappling game.

weisan
11-21-2015, 07:49 PM
http://s1.dmcdn.net/PS1FA.jpg

Demo #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlCZOsjhYk0

Demo #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Cb2d0ZUVs

William
11-21-2015, 08:03 PM
:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7d_UacumGk

William

ultraman6970
11-21-2015, 09:07 PM
What about chocolat and the fight with the palsy guy?

What about this indian guy? :D The indian Arnold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOw4AYd7-8

fa63
11-22-2015, 05:20 AM
That is the most ridiculous thing I have watched in a while :D

oldpotatoe
11-22-2015, 06:19 AM
wow, 59 some responses. Didn't know some of those here followed these MMA cage matches.

Not a bad thing I guess...whatever..not judging, just not my cup of 'tea'...

weisan
11-22-2015, 06:28 AM
Old pal, I don't...the first time I saw her face was at that "movie" that she appeared on.... and even then, I didn't look up her name. It was here that I connected the dots and put the two together.

I am slow when it comes to popular culture and the latest trends. Can't be bothered I guess...:rolleyes:

vav
11-22-2015, 06:33 AM
wow, 59 some responses. Didn't know those here followed these MMA cage matches.

:cool: :p

http://www.phantompilots.com/attachments/fight-gif.25615/

cookietom
11-22-2015, 07:55 AM

That is great!!!!!:hello:

William
11-22-2015, 08:42 AM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/9-15-2015/zWqCnd.gif

:D

William

saab2000
11-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Cat fight.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ec/ed/62/eced62843f6c10c5f2f1ae64c948a903.gif

fiamme red
11-22-2015, 09:01 AM
http://38.media.tumblr.com/76c521cf9fdcdba00fce51b9f0420560/tumblr_msis70UfWJ1ridxxlo4_400.gif

William
11-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Okay, this is kinda funny...

https://www.facebook.com/djreminisemusic/videos/10153326514278869/

William

roguedog
11-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Don't know how to multi quote but I love this forum. You guys make me laugh

Tony
11-22-2015, 10:04 AM
wow, 59 some responses. Didn't know some of those here followed these MMA cage matches.

"For every hardcore MMA fan who saw an underrated fighter execute a brilliant game plan against an opponent who seemed under prepared, no more and no less, there seemed to be 10 casual viewers who were simply thrilled to see someone who had not always acted humble get their comeuppance.

Or, as one fellow MMA reporter quipped to me, "It's like the public finally got to see a Kardashian get her ass kicked."

rwsaunders
11-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Nyuk nyuk

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ve0mIYQU1nU/VLAeTk7PYII/AAAAAAAAAvA/fM7n-GckKV4/s1600/BGB%2BThree%2BStooges%2BTrick%2BGIF.gif