PDA

View Full Version : Shop guys I need your help ?

Smiley
05-06-2006, 08:25 AM
My friend has a need for a realtive that has out grown a 16 inch wheel bike with training wheels. This young boy has special needs and needs training wheels on his bike BUT he has out grown a 16 inch wheel bike. She has asked around and was informed that they don't make training wheels for a bike larger then 16 inch wheels. I'll send her your way for this purchase if you can help us buy this bike with 20 inch wheels for a special kid that needs this aid. Many thanks Smiley

Grant McLean
05-06-2006, 08:35 AM
My friend has a need for a realtive that has out grown a 16 inch wheel bike with training wheels. This young boy has special needs and needs training wheels on his bike BUT he has out grown a 16 inch wheel bike. She has asked around and was informed that they don't make training wheels for a bike larger then 16 inch wheels. I'll send her your way for this purchase if you can help us buy this bike with 20 inch wheels for a special kid that needs this aid. Many thanks Smiley

Hi Smiley,

A 20" bike with training wheels is no problem. The issue is that the 20" bike
needs to be a coaster bike, not a derailleur bike. The training wheels mount
on the dropout face, so there can't be a derailleur in the way. I'm really
surprised any shop wouldn't have training wheels that fit 20" bikes,
we sell hundreds of them. QBP sells a 14-20 adjustable set, the higher
slots fit 20" bikes. If the bike has a derailleur, no training wheels will fit.

-g

pdxmech13
05-06-2006, 11:40 AM
I had a good friend that his child had autism and needed them as well. The problem was his weight and size. Grant suggested the wald trainers which are very good. I would recommend them as well but make sure that the chain stays are not oversized. There are some available if this is the case. Most Trek dealers will carry the product that you would need or can be ordered out the the Trek Consumers Guide.

Smiley
05-06-2006, 04:13 PM
many thanks Smiley , I passed the link to my friend , Smiley

palincss
05-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Jumping ahead a little, is it possible that long term the solution is going to have three, rather than two, wheels? There are some mighty fine - fun, fast, ultra-cool, tadpole trikes out there.