PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out D2R2 set up...question on Campy Eurus wheels and tire suggestion

4Rings6Stars
07-31-2015, 09:50 AM
First world problems here and basically me just typing up my thought process while I should be working... Not an overly interesting thread, but it's got to be better than all of the intense political / feminism / cyclist entitlement / minivan emasculation / racism / big game hunting threads currently dominating the forum.

I have three bikes I could ride for D2R2.

Hampsten Crema (sram 10 speed, heavy wheels)
DeSalvo monster cross disc (chorus 11 compact, heavy wheels, 44mm tires)
IF Planet X cross bike (chorus 10 compact, various wheel options)

I am leaning towards the Hampsten, but would need to change gearing and wheels. All of my other bikes are Campy so I don't have any spare shim/sram wheels or cassettes around. The desalvo is the most fun on dirt roads, but with essentially 29er wheels and tires I think it's a bit overkill and not worth hefting those wheels up the 700,000 feet of climbing I'll be doing.

I am thinking I want to build the Hapmsten with Campy compact group (50/34 - 12-29) and eurus wheels with ~30mm tires. Another option is to ride the IF as-is and tape a second bottle cage to the down tube (which I have done before) but I'm more comfortable on the Hampsten for longer distances.

Question is... will basically the turn of the century Eurus wheels (I think they are from around 2004 actually) be able to handle 30mph dirt road descents on 30+mm tires? I weigh around 165-170 lbs.

In the past I have done the ride on 36h commuter wheels (open pros) with 32mm Paselas or Michelin Jet CX tires. They worked but I think I want to try something different. Any suggestions for a 30-33mm tire that is durable but not super heavy or slow and will work on both pavement and NE dirt roads?

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/F03CB28D-9456-40B1-B90D-D7071772206F_zpshtrpqtuw.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/F03CB28D-9456-40B1-B90D-D7071772206F_zpshtrpqtuw.jpg.html)

Likes2ridefar
07-31-2015, 10:02 AM
i did it on a road bike with durable 23c tires and had no problems.

bikerboy337
07-31-2015, 10:04 AM
this year will be my first time riding d2r2, but i'm giving the Clement X'Plor USH tires a try, they roll fast on pavement and have been great on dirt trails around here, a best of both worlds kind of tire... but, I've never ridder d2r2 so i may be overdoing it...

i've got a compact with 12-30 cassette which should be plenty on my Salsa Warbird Ti...

If it ends up being muddy, i have some clement challenge/grifos i can throw on the last minute...

4Rings6Stars
07-31-2015, 10:05 AM
i did it on a road bike with durable 23c tires and had no problems.

I've done the D2R2 several times and I definitely don't want to go narrower than 30mm. Personal preference, I know a lot of folks do it on narrower tires. I don't even like to ride anything smaller than 28mm on normal road rides though so no way I would go narrower for this.

It has been a few years since I have done this ride or anything like it so just trying to get a sense for what other people are riding for tires / looking for something better than a Pasela.

thirdgenbird
07-31-2015, 10:08 AM
That hampsten needs c10

I have the same eurus wheels. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

oliver1850
07-31-2015, 10:16 AM
I would have thought Jets a pretty good choice. I haven't tried these, but they might be a good option, slightly lighter than Jets and 32mm:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/panaracer-gravel-king-tire

4Rings6Stars
07-31-2015, 10:17 AM
That hampsten needs c10

I have the same eurus wheels. I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

I know... it hurts to look at it like that. Changing to Campy was my intention all along but extra time has been tight and the Sram stuff actually works pretty darn well, so I haven't gotten around do it. Combined with the fact that I gave away my compact UT centaur alloy crank last year that was destined for the Hampsten. I have most of the other parts on hand to build it up but need to figure out a crank or borrow one from another bike.

4Rings6Stars
07-31-2015, 10:18 AM
I would have thought Jets a pretty good choice. I haven't tried these, but they might be a good option, slightly lighter than Jets and 32mm:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/panaracer-gravel-king-tire

Those look pretty decent actually. Thanks. Similar to the Challenge PR I have currently on the Hampsten I would think. (might ride those too, but worried about durability)

The Jets actually did work fine, I just don't currently have a pair on hand.

oliver1850
07-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Nashbar had the Jets pretty cheap, but may have sold out now.

Couldn't you live with an off breed crank on a C10 bike until you find another C10 CT?

jdp211
07-31-2015, 10:37 AM
This will be my first D2R2, but I'm planning on riding 650bx42. I'd ride the DeSalvo with the biggest tire you can stuff in there.

witcombusa
07-31-2015, 11:35 AM
I've done the D2R2 several times and I definitely don't want to go narrower than 30mm. Personal preference, I know a lot of folks do it on narrower tires. I don't even like to ride anything smaller than 28mm on normal road rides though so no way I would go narrower for this.

It has been a few years since I have done this ride or anything like it so just trying to get a sense for what other people are riding for tires / looking for something better than a Pasela.

for my money the Pasela is the perfect tire for the ride.(ridden every year it's been held).

Is it just that you would feel better spending more for different tires :confused:

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-31-2015, 11:44 AM
You'll be fine with the Eurus. I beat on mine often, and I fluctuate between 195 and 205. Nice fleet.

Kirk007
07-31-2015, 11:49 AM
The Eurus are really sturdy. 2004 - did they still have steel spokes that year - those were really really nice wheels.

Compass has some nice choices in the sizes you are looking at and if you find the Grand Bois jack browns, they are nice as well.

4Rings6Stars
07-31-2015, 12:06 PM
for my money the Pasela is the perfect tire for the ride.(ridden every year it's been held).

Is it just that you would feel better spending more for different tires :confused:

I would feel better spending more for better tires... I have put several thousand miles (and a few years commuting in Boston) on Paselas and they are great for the money, but I'm riding fewer miles these days and have fewer bikes, so I can justify spending more if I'm going to enjoy it more. I am not somebody who spends money just for the sake of spending it... With a new baby and plans to buy a house soon, I have to sell bike parts to fund any new bike related purchases. I'm even volunteering at the ride to cover my entry fee (and because I grew up out there and genuinely like the cause and want to help).

4Rings6Stars
07-31-2015, 12:12 PM
The Eurus are really sturdy. 2004 - did they still have steel spokes that year - those were really really nice wheels.

Compass has some nice choices in the sizes you are looking at and if you find the Grand Bois jack browns, they are nice as well.

Don't know off hand...I don't actually know that they are 2004, that was just a guess.

Can you tell from this pic?

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/Steve%20Potts/DSCF9932.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/Steve%20Potts/DSCF9932.jpg.html)

thirdgenbird
07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
Those are steel spoked. Similar to the current zonda but better looking. One of the best wheelsets made in my opinion.

Kirk007
07-31-2015, 12:31 PM
those are steel spoked. Similar to the current zonda but better looking. One of the best wheelsets made in my opinion.

+1

Peter P.
07-31-2015, 07:18 PM
How are you gonna enjoy the D2R2 downhills if you're only going 30mph?!

Ride a bigger tire and have some fun!

P.S. I hit 46mph down Deer Park Road riding 1.5" cheapo Bontragers.

Take the DeSalvo.

sparky33
07-31-2015, 08:29 PM

This^ exactly.

Clement LAS
Challenge Gravel Grinder
or similar

DrSpoke
07-31-2015, 11:37 PM
I don't have any experience on these but I've been doing a bit of research for a gravel bike I have on order. Not a big Spec fan either but these look like they have potential for some combo paved/trail rides. They look like they've been designed for some durability, are available tubeless and in various sizes.

Specialized Roubaix Pro:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/endurance-road-tires/roubaix-pro

(The Diverge comes with a 32c but don't see it listed on the link)

Specialized Trigger Pro:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/cyclocross-tires/trigger-pro-2bliss-ready

happycampyer
08-01-2015, 04:45 AM
In the years I rode D2R2 on my Strada Bianca, I used Neutron Ultras with Jack Browns. The Neutron Ultras are similar to your Eurus, so I would think the Eurus would be fine. For tires, I don't know that there is a huge difference among Paselas, Gravel Kings and Jack Browns, etc., since they are all made by Panaracer. I've heard that the JB's are a little more supple, but have never compared them.

The last two years I have ridden Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires on a Psychlo-X YBB disc. Hard to compare given all the differences in set-up, but the Vittorias strike me as similar to the Jack Browns in terms of ride quality, and have held up similarly.

This year I will be riding a bike with 650B wheels and 42mm tires (Compass Baby Shoe Pass). Looking forward to seeing how that set-up compares.

I'm personally with Peter P on this one--I would ride the DeSalvo with a quality, 30+mm tire. To Sparky33's list I would add the Compass offerings. It also sounds like that's a less expensive/complicated option than swapping cranks etc. on the Hampsten.

4Rings6Stars
08-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Those are steel spoked. Similar to the current zonda but better looking. One of the best wheelsets made in my opinion.

I have had them for a few years but never really ridden them. Excited to try them out.

How are you gonna enjoy the D2R2 downhills if you're only going 30mph?!

P.S. I hit 46mph down Deer Park Road riding 1.5" cheapo Bontragers.

Take the DeSalvo.

Hah! The year I did it on Paselas my buddy did it on his 29er and he absolutely smoked me on the descents... but I know that for every 2 minutes going downhill I'm going to spend 20 going up!

In the years I rode D2R2 on my Strada Bianca, I used Neutron Ultras with Jack Browns. The Neutron Ultras are similar to your Eurus, so I would think the Eurus would be fine. For tires, I don't know that there is a huge difference among Paselas, Gravel Kings and Jack Browns, etc., since they are all made by Panaracer. I've heard that the JB's are a little more supple, but have never compared them.

The last two years I have ridden Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires on a Psychlo-X YBB disc. Hard to compare given all the differences in set-up, but the Vittorias strike me as similar to the Jack Browns in terms of ride quality, and have held up similarly.

This year I will be riding a bike with 650B wheels and 42mm tires (Compass Baby Shoe Pass). Looking forward to seeing how that set-up compares.

I'm personally with Peter P on this one--I would ride the DeSalvo with a quality, 30+mm tire. To Sparky33's list I would add the Compass offerings. It also sounds like that's a less expensive/complicated option than swapping cranks etc. on the Hampsten.

I test fitted some 35mm cross tires I have on hand on the Eurus wheels and they fit just fine on the Hampsten. A good friend has some 35mm Clement MSO tires that he said I can have and I think those will be perfect. Riding the desalvo as-is would be the easiest and allow me to run massive tires, but I think I would prefer the Hampsten with 35s for comfort and climbing.

Now I just need to figure out the build... Thinking alloy Chorus 10 ergos, alloy Chorus RD (I think it's a short cage...might have to figure something out there) and a 13-29 cassette. Most practical option would be to steel a compact crank off one of the other bikes but if I could find an alloy Campy compact or possibly a triple (would then need to get a longer cage for the RD ) I would be happiest.

thirdgenbird
08-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Steel spoke eurus wheels, Campag 10, compact and a 29t on that hampsten would be lustworthy. After this ride, throw some veloflex tires on those eurus wheels. Trust me.

A centaur UT compact crank, silver veloce mid cage RD, and alloy chorus ergos is about as good as it get.

carpediemracing
08-03-2015, 08:55 PM

+1

+2

I got mine in 2003, or maybe the spring of 2004, when I went to 10s. A friend has them, still riding them. They're practically bomb proof. I double flatted mine on fully inflated 23c tires (110-115psi) when I hit a massive hole while drafting a truck at 40-45 mph. I rode the flats back to the car, at least a few miles. Wheels were fine, I couldn't believe it. I was realistically 190-200 lbs at that time. Super strong and stiff rims. With big tires they'll be good for anything, like when I ran 2.35" tires on my M17 (20mm wide? Sun Metal) mountain bike rims/wheels.

A friend got the later aluminum spoked Eurus, after his steel spoked set. He couldn't quantify it but he didn't like the aluminum ones as much.

R3awak3n
08-03-2015, 09:45 PM

I used those last year and they did really good. Decent on the graver and really nice on the paved stuff. Very few times I wished I had more grip.

I wish I could do d2r2 this year but have a wedding that day. I wanted to try the new 48mm 650b compass tires but they seem to be late, no news at all.

4Rings6Stars
08-19-2015, 11:34 AM
Casey - this update is for you...

I think the 35mm x'plor tires will do nicely. We might be getting some rain day before / day of so I'm glad I won't be on anything smaller.

Ended up with a carbon crank so I stuck on Centaur ultrashift carbon ergos because I prefer the new shape. If I had found an alloy crank, I would have used chorus alloy ergos..

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/telepciaka/Hampsten%20Crema/4602A79B-6DC1-49DC-8DDB-FF66A67F3A07_zpsrz2omrd0.jpg (http://s733.photobucket.com/user/telepciaka/media/Hampsten%20Crema/4602A79B-6DC1-49DC-8DDB-FF66A67F3A07_zpsrz2omrd0.jpg.html)

bikerboy337
08-19-2015, 11:52 AM
planning to run my 35mm USH X'Plor Tires from Clement, I'm 185 and will be running around 57 front, 65 rear... they are supposed to ride up high on the center tread, been testing them out this week at those pressures and they've been great on pavement as well as on dirt sections that I have...

if it gets really muddy/stormy, thinking about some cross tires potentially, but think these will be fine

witcombusa
08-19-2015, 11:58 AM
I'll be on 559mm x 42mm Paselas this year. Looking forward to another great D2R2 outing come Saturday:banana:

thirdgenbird
08-19-2015, 12:41 PM
That bike rocks!

I like carbon cranks and ergos with alloy elsewhere. Those hoods make it look comfortable as well. Fat tires also look killer on that wheelset.

If I could only have one bike, it would probably look a lot like this.