PDA

View Full Version : Best live concert

H.Frank Beshear
05-05-2006, 10:06 PM
In the spirit of Saabs best album what is the best live concert you have seen. In no particular order.

ACDC Let there be Rock tour front row at the Rockford Speedway with Bonn Scott at the mike.

Bo Didley what a showman.

Greg Brown the early years a bar in Souix Falls SD 1983

Harry Chapin, Acoustic, no back up, bring a canned good and get in free, at the Palmer auditoriom. I hadn't heard of him my roommate bet me I could sing along to more than half the songs. I lost, less than 6 months later he was dead :crap: .

csm
05-05-2006, 10:22 PM
warren zevon, him, a piano and a guitar
warren zevon, him, a piano, a guitar and somebody else?

Louis
05-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Frank,

I too saw AC/DC in concert (Market Square Arena, Indianapolis, when I was in grad school), but the loudest concert (and therfore one of the best) I ever attended was The Clash. That was incredible.

My favorite concert of all time is described below. I copied this from a post (my one and only) on the forum on Aimee Mann's web site. The thread was "Where did you first hear Aimee?" and I felt like I just had to share the story.

OK this is a bit long, but perhaps interesting:

It was Spring 1984. I was in grad school (engineering) in Hanover NH, and it was just before finals. I think the College had just gone to a day or so pre-finals break, which was a luxury for us, since we weren’t used to having that extra time to cram. So my roommate and I are in our dorm studying goodness knows what, and we hear music coming from a grassy mall area outside. It was a sunny afternoon and we needed a break so we thought we’d check it out. It turned out that some campus organization, I have no clue which one, had brought in a band (were they out of Boston?), stuck them on a flat-bed trailer by the side of Tuck mall, and run some power from the nearest dorm. This was not a regular deal, and I’d never seen a band there before.

When we reached the trailer there were maybe half a dozen other people listening. We had work do, but the music was good, and the lead singer a knockout with funky hair, so we decided to sit down for a while. I also have to say that I felt kind of sorry for the band, because there were so few people in the audience. As we listened we realized, that this wasn’t just a bunch of chumps. They were good. I can specifically remember liking “Love in a Vacuum.” and “Voices Carry” which also got a good audience response. A few more students drifted over, but at it’s largest, I don’t think there were ever more than fifteen people in the crowd. I can also remember thinking, “This is strange, having this experience practically to myself, but it’s also kind of pure, in a weird way.”

After about thirty minutes the band began to wrap things up and played what sounded like the last song, but we didn’t want to let them go, so the handful of people there kept clapping until they played an encore or two. After that the lead singer said a few words, and “We’re ‘Til Tuesday.” I can remember as if it was yesterday, thinking to myself, “I should remember that name, I bet they’re going places…”

Well, you never really know where life is going to take you, but on a sunny afternoon over twenty years ago my path briefly crossed Aimee’s.

Louis

Spectrum Bob
05-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Two come to mind:

1. Opened with Taj Mahal back when he had a ten piece band with 4 tubas then the Almond Brothers and it closed with Little Richard
2. Brecker Brothers from the Return of the Brecker Brothers tour

And an honorable mention, I did see the Beatles when I was rather young.

ergott
05-05-2006, 10:36 PM
1 Chicago Symphony, Mahler 5 in Carnagie Hall. My favorite composer.
2 Chigaco Symphony, Stravinsky - Rite of Spring Carnagie Hall. Words cannot describe what I experienced that night.

Both were when Herseth was still playing first trumpet. Just a little history here, but he played first trumpet for over 50 years in Chicago. He was the best. 50 years put him on just about every recording the Chicago Symphony has ever made.

lnomalley
05-05-2006, 10:43 PM
britney rawks y'all but she aint no avril levine.

the best show i ever saw was nirvana. the hair on my neck stood on end the whole time. i knew i was watching something happen that could only happen in that moment and then never again. like watching two atoms collide. i wasn't watching a concert .. i was witnessing an explosion. i was a bystander.

way back in the day me and my buddies went to a squeeze concert at universal and i made out with a real live blonde haired long legged model that was way out of my league (brent where are you?). if i can find a pic i'll post it.

i got drunk on two cans of bud at lynyrd skynyrd when i was just a wee thing. freeeeeeeeeeeebiiiiiiird.

i was at a very small club in hollywood watching a blues band when mick jagger jumped on stage and sang for an hour. he sort of sucked though.

Louis
05-05-2006, 10:54 PM
way back in the day me and my buddies went to a squeeze concert at universal and i made out with a real live blonde haired long legged model that was way out of my league (brent where are you?)

The model's name was "brent"? Maybe it was Lola at a Kinks concert? Are you sure you want to post that type of picture on a family forum? :p

Louis

dave thompson
05-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Best Rock n Roll? Hands down, Chuck Berry and Little Richard together at the Western Washington Fair. Lotsa energy that night. (Can you imagine Chuck Berry doing the lead off for anyone?)

Most memorable classical concert? Toronto, Canada Day 1978 with the Toronto Symphony in the round (I don't remember the venue, but it was on the waterfront) playing the 1812 Overture and a Canadian warship anchored nearby firing it's cannons for the finale. That made the hairs stand up!

Fixed
05-05-2006, 11:21 PM
1 mccoy tyner at beefsteak charlie's in westchester
2miles davis with stevie wonder
3 herbie hancock with chic corea
4 weather report with john mclaughlin

Climb01742
05-06-2006, 04:06 AM
best live concert? listening to a 4-year-old laugh. sweetest sound the human body has ever created. any music a distant second, ALTMO.

Kevin
05-06-2006, 05:22 AM
best live concert? listening to a 4-year-old laugh. sweetest sound the human body has ever created. any music a distant second, ALTMO.

I agree. For second place I have to go with Billy Joel.

Kevin

Ray
05-06-2006, 05:59 AM
First, I've seen the Dead and Springsteen a LOT. On good nights they both put on the best show in Rock and Roll, hands down. On bad nights, Bruce was still pretty good. Best Dead show was 1/22/78 in Eugene - Jerry did a solo jam of Close Encounters that has to be heard to be believed. Ask any Deadhead about this one.

Bruce, first time - summer of '77, Tempe, AZ. This show made it into a bunch of Bruce documentaries because a bunch of coeds jumped up on stage during the encore, took him down, and, proceeded to put their tongues so far down his throat.... I was a few rows back and could see it a lot better on film.

Otherwise, no particular order:

Stones - Boulder '81 - mixin' it up with the Angels 3 rows from the stage
Richard Thompson - Princeton, maybe '97? Vincent Black Lightning solo!
Van Morrison, Seattle, early '80s
Bonnie Raitt, Seattle, about '90
Dexter Gordon, Seattle '77 - little club on his first tour back in US, awesome
George Harrison & Ravi Shankar - Tucson '74 (first concert)
Rod Stewart and Lynnard Skynnard - Tucson '75
Ramones - Tucson, about '79 or '80
Doug Sahm - Tucson, about '80
McCoy Tyner - Paris, '81
Tony Bennet - Seattle, maybe '92
Phish - Philly '95 or '96
Betty Carter, London, '81
Aimee Mann - Philly, 2000 or so (no knockout, but a great songwriter)
Ella Fitzgerald / Oscar Peterson, Seattle '77
BB King, Seattle '76

There have been zillions of others - I was pretty much out at shows 3-4 times a week for a few years there. But these are the ones that stick in my memory, so they must have been good.

Worst concert ever - Little River Band, Tucson, '80. Disgustingly, insultingly, disturbingly bland. Just freakin' horrible. Two of the longest hours of my life. Girlfriend loved them. I lost all respect for her that night.

-Ray

keno
05-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, Screamin' Hay Hawkins and don't remember who else in NYC.

The Isley Brothers

James Brown

Chuck Berry

Lenny Bruce, by far the best.

All before I discovered controlled substances.

I saw the Eagles in the Oakland Coliseum during what must have been the peak of their mutual revulsion. The worst. Ate at some "famous" seafood restaurant that night, which was right up there in the worst category. Yeah, she was ugly. A trifecta.

keno

keno

Tom
05-06-2006, 07:31 AM
- Robert Gordon and Link Wray free concert at school. Guitar, bass, drums and I had a quart of gin. Perfect mix.
- Some guy from Africa named Lagbaja with his 20 piece band, about 16 of them were various talking drums. Unreal and completely hypnotic. If you ever get the chance, do not miss this.
- Anders Osborne, a year or two ago. Not a bad show but absolutely blown away by his version of "Ohio". Every now and then somebody does somebody else's song like they wrote it themselves. That was one. Pure crying rage at how nothing ever changes.
- NRBQ down at the Van Dyck. Just fun in a small room. Terry Adams mugging to the four year old at the next table had me laughing til I fell out of my chair.
- Odetta at the Van Dyck. She has such a voice.

Dr. Doofus
05-06-2006, 07:34 AM
doof will narrow down from his list on the other thread, and make some additions for funzies

1) Uncle Tupelo, the Gallery, Normal Illinois, 1989. Doof sees a bunch of guys from a small town make the Carter Family and Black Flag all fit togther. Blown away. One of those "oh...now I see where I need to be going" moments.

2) Albert Collins. ISU Union, Normal Illinois, 1984. Cat sees 45 people there, gives it the full smokin effort anyway (saw him play in Chicago a few times...he brought the same gas to the 45 hayseeds). Taught doof that when you get on stage, it doesn't matter who is there -- you're there, your music is there, let it rip....

3) Replacements, Gabe's, Iowa City, 1984. Genius midwestern f-ups. Reaffirms doof's conviction that rock n roll is in the hands of the masses, not the mass media. Bob stole doof's girl.

4) Sonic Youth, Avalon (?), Chicago, 1989. The ears still hurt. Modern harmony meets punk rock. Doof discovers that stacking 2nds and 6ths works if its loud enough.

5) Souled American, the Gallery, 1988-90. The best american 80s band on a british label that you never heard of.

6) Screaming Abortions, Jeff's basement, 1982. Our guitarist gets so tanked on Old Style that he starts vomiting uncontrollably while tuning up. Our drummer gets in a nose-breaking fight over whether the puke got on some meathead's shoes. Front man Doof doesn't scream word one into a mike but gets a girlfriend anyway. Best teenage rock n roll night ever.

did anyone on this list see Big Star before the breakup? Doof envies you.

Bill Bove
05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Nanci Griffith at Symphony Hall in Boston, played for close to three hours. Even covered a Stones song.

Grateful Dead, many times, many places. There is nothing like a Dead show.

JohnS
05-06-2006, 09:55 AM
The Who, Pontiac Silverdome, December 1975.

MartyE
05-06-2006, 10:08 AM
so many concerts so little space. . . .
In no particular order:
Bruce Springsteen final night of Born to Run tour at the Bottom line
in NYC.
The Who 3 or 4 times, best was seeing Tommy performed in it's entirety.
Bonnie Raitt Philadelphia Folk Festival 1972 (?) her first concert and
the day I fell in love with her music/voice/style/her.
Philadelphia Music Festival 1968? Buddy Miles, Al kooper, Jethro Tull,
Led Zepplin, Johnny Winter all in one show.
Any James Taylor Concert he puts on a surprizing good show
Any Jimmy Buffet concert once a parrothead always a parrothead.
Rod Stewart ca. Gasoline Alley (1970?)

Marty

bironi
05-06-2006, 10:12 AM
A two day outdoor summer concert in Woodinville, WA in 1969 billed as The Seattle Pop Festival, temps in the 80's. The following bands played, plus a few I have forgotten (a total of 25 bands):

Santana
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Ike and Tina Turner
Bo Diddley
Chuck Berry
Chicago
The Flying Burrito Brothers
It's a Beautiful Day
The Youngbloods
The Byrds
Guess Who

bironi
05-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Seattle Pop Festival held in Woodinville on July 25, 1969.
On July 25, 1969, Boyd Grafmyre stages the Seattle Pop Festival, held at Gold Creek Park in Woodinville, northeast of Seattle. Over the next three days, 25 musicians and groups perform, including Chuck Berry, Black Snake, Tim Buckley, The Byrds, Chicago Transit Authority, Albert Collins, Crome Syrcus, Bo Diddley, the Doors, Floating Bridge, The Flock, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Guess Who, It's A Beautiful Day, Led Zeppelin, Charles Loyd, Lonnie Mack, Lee Michaels, Rockin Fu, Murray Roman, Santana, Spirit, Ten Years After, Ike & Tina Turner, Vanilla Fudge, and the Youngbloods.
Tickets for the event went for $6 a day or $15 for all three. More than 50,000 rock fans attended over the three days. Since crowds were larger than expected, extra water and food had to be hauled in on Sunday. Sanitary facilities were inadequate, but every attempt was made to meet county requirements

Moveitfred
05-06-2006, 11:47 AM
1. Every show by X.
2. REM, small club/first time in L.A. Played the same weekend as "the next big thing"--Big Country. Big Country went on to disappear off the planet. REM went on to be good, then weird, then dull.
3. Prince, the Time, and Vanity 6 at Long Beach Arena. Little Prince and the Time funkin' ripped the place down. Vanity 6, however.....
4. Surf Punks (mas cervezas needed to appreciate the show).

rodenmg
05-06-2006, 12:01 PM
The Who, Pontiac Silverdome, December 1975.

The Who, Dallas, about the same time. People who think they've experienced loud have no idea :)

L84dinr
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Resurrection Band, Tulsa, OK. Very Loud. A fantastic Rock band.

2nd Chapter of Acts. In Edmond OK.

Arc Angels. Fort Worth, TX. A couple of years after they split; the guys came together to play at what used to be The Caravan of Dreams. Great local venue. Great show

Kansas. I was living in Wichita, and Kansas was starting their Monolith tour in Wichita at the colosseum. For their Monolith tour they were s'posed to have a terrific light show. But the light show never happened. Technical difficulties. So the roadies (ie the union) allowed the band to play an extra long set. Kansas played stuff from Song for America, Masque, Leftoverture... Just blasts from the past. A great concert. During the encore Steve Walsh was doing handstands on the keyboards, A Terrific Live BAND.

Aerosmith. Norman, OK. A very good concert.

Phil Keaggy. In Wichita, KS. I Was in Wichita on a business trip and heard that Keaggy was in concert. Hung around town an extra day and purchased a ticket. PK and band was driving in from St louis. The truck with the gear never made it to Wichita. The trucks tires were slashed. So it Was Phil Keaggy, a stool, and Microphone. The first Unplugged. Great concert, and singer songwriter guitar player.

Stevie Ray opening for The Who in Houston. Early Nineties. Played on my Birthday. Great way to celebrate! Two of the coolest guitar players ever.

Last but not least. Warren Zevon, Tulsa, OK at the Cains!! Most Excellent concert, at the best kind of venue; Small and personal. Great crowd participation, everyone new every song.

"Well, he went down to dinner in his Sunday best
Excitable boy, they all said
And he rubbed the pot roast all over his chest
Excitable boy, they all said"

andy mac
05-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Beck - San Fran. went from just him and a harmonica to the whole stage filled with people and props. i took my brother who didn't know anything about him and he loved it - sign of a good musician.

Southern Culture on the Skids - Salt Lake Olympics - fun band. i ended up on stage wrapped in an australian flag as our team had just won 2 gold medals and we were all going nuts.

AC/DC - Melbourne, Oz. Never forget them starting with a huge bell ringing to kick off Hells Bells. Power cords anyone!

The Police - saw their last show ever in Melbourne, Oz

Bo Diddley - in a small room in Beaver Creek, CO.

U2 - saw them as a teen in '84, in '93 i think and 2002. always brilliant.

Midnight Oil. Fillmore, San Fran. Just a brilliant room to see a band.

Zero 7 at the Paradiso, Amsterdam. Beer, the smell of pot, haunting music.

Eminem - Fillmore San Fran. Small room, before he was famous. He actually got in a fight, jumped off stage and started swinging at a guy. the whole place started fighting. good times!

* biggest regret - i had tickets to a johnny cash show in portland. my boss threw an assigment to me late in the afternoon due the next day. i had just started with the company and was keen to make a good impression so i sold the tickets and worked all night. then he died. i'm a huge fan and i'll never see him... that blows.

:beer:

Erik.Lazdins
05-06-2006, 01:40 PM
1. Any 1 of the Michael Brecker concerts I've been to (6 I believe plus a clinic)
2. Herbie Hancock with Chick Corea and Michael Brecker and Darryl Jones.
3. Sting in 1987 - Nothing like the Sun KC stop - outdoor venue still had Kenny Kirkland (rip) and Branford Marsalis, and Darryl Jones playing.

Fixed
05-06-2006, 03:09 PM
1. Any 1 of the Michael Brecker concerts I've been to (6 I believe plus a clinic)
2. Herbie Hancock with Chick Corea and Michael Brecker and Darryl Jones.
3. Sting in 1987 - Nothing like the Sun KC stop - outdoor venue still had Kenny Kirkland (rip) and Branford Marsalis, and Darryl Jones playing.
good ones bro

Climb01742
05-06-2006, 03:19 PM
wasn't the "best". maybe strangest. way cool. certainly the loudest: ramones, CBGBs, nyc, maybe '76 or '77. gotta love CBGBs: talking heads and new york dolls, too. but ramones ruled. and a roach fell off ceiling and into my beer. ah, good times.

gone
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Pink Floyd, Music Hall in Cincinatti, 1971, the Ummagumma tour. I will never forget "Careful with that ax, Eugene" and "Saucerful of Secrets".

I also saw Yes in the same venue, also in 1971. This was the original group (Rick Wakeman was still with them) and they turned in an awesome performance.

woolly
05-06-2006, 04:39 PM
3) Replacements, Gabe's, Iowa City, 1984. Genius midwestern f-ups. Reaffirms doof's conviction that rock n roll is in the hands of the masses, not the mass media. Bob stole doof's girl.

Ah, Gabe's, that brings back some memories. When I was in grad school in Iowa City '89-'91 we went there pretty regularly. Looking forward to the RAGBRAI stop in Coralville/Iowa City this year, & am hoping to make the rounds. RAGBRAI ain't about RIDIN', RAGBRAI's all about STOPPIN'. atmo, of course.
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Frankwurst
05-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Grover Washington Jr. Orlando,FL
Sonia DaDa a bar in Orlando
John Prine and Bonnie Raitt Gainsville,Fl
John Prine and Cowboy Junkies Orlando,Fl
Linda Ronstat and Neil Young Des Moines, Ia
Little Feat and Poco Seattle, Wa
Jerry Jeff Walker Seattle, Wa
The Dead with Bruce Hornsby
R.E.O. Speedwagon A bar in Milwaukee
Buddy Guy a bar in Orlando
C,S,N, & Y
Clapton
Stephen Stills in a bar
Joe Cocker
The list goes on and on with no particular one being the best but all good enough for me to still have fond memories of. :beer:

catulle
05-06-2006, 04:48 PM
James Brown. Roanoke, Va. 1968. Papa's got a brand new bag, iirc, atmo.

Ray
05-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I've never seen 'em and I'm getting too old for the hassles associated with going to big shows, but I'm listening to a live Pearl Jam show at the moment and, without being there, they sound friggin' AMAZING live. Saw them on Letterman and then checked out their web-cast afterward and remembered how great they can be.

Chalk it up as one of the best live shows I've never seen.

-Ray

Argos
05-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Good question. So many variables

Perfect Thyroid Opening for the Violent Femmes @ Vasser College back in 93. Both bands were so in touch and alive. Being a college guy in a room full of Vasser Chicks didn't hurt (it's a girls school). Seriously though, both bands were in Top Form and really made for a great night.

The Night before was a 5 band concert at SUNY Albany. Cracker, Black 47, They Might Be Giants brought the house down. There were two others, by I've been hit in the head too many times and I just can't remember.

Midnight Oil @ Jones Beach Amphitheater. Hot House Flowers opened, and were good, but Midnight Oil was as Crisp as listening to their Album. At one point Peter Garrett was Leaning forward into the mike belting it out in a Power chorus as a floor to ceiling red banner about 10 feet wide and 50 feet high was blowing from the wind off the water, all the while mist in the air was blowing through and it looked like he was speeding through the clouds. Coolest thing I'd ever seen. Natural special effects.

Ray Charles Live at some small theatre, also in Albany. I would have regretted it if I missed that opportunity.

davids
05-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Follow the thread drift (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=203980&postcount=109) over there...
the best show i ever saw was nirvana. the hair on my neck stood on end the whole time. i knew i was watching something happen that could only happen in that moment and then never again. like watching two atoms collide. i wasn't watching a concert .. i was witnessing an explosion. i was a bystander.So well said! A couple of my top ten were like that - The Clash, The Replacements (though it was like someone was switching a light on and off: brilliance-goofiness-brilliance-goofiness...)
wasn't the "best". maybe strangest. way cool. certainly the loudest: ramones, CBGBs, nyc, maybe '76 or '77. gotta love CBGBs: talking heads and new york dolls, too. but ramones ruled. and a roach fell off ceiling and into my beer. ah, good times.I never saw the Ramones at CBGBs, though I saw them a lot. Anyone who loves the Ramones should see "End of the Century." It's a fantastic documentary. The interviews are revelatory, and there's some great concert footage (including CBGBs from, like 1975.)

And Doof - Uncle Tupelo and Sonic Youth are two I'm very sorry to have missed. I shoulda seen Sonic Youth with Neil Young... I did see them on the Simpsons!

I think I'll go put on "Washing Machine" now...

Fixed
05-06-2006, 06:19 PM
bro all you musicians .. the jam at big bens place ...next open house .
cheers

Tom
05-06-2006, 06:21 PM
bro all you musicians .. the jam at big bens place ...next open house .
cheers

Post of the year.

I'll bring the beer, I'll rent the generator the tent the amps, hell, if Serotta won't do it you guys can come down and shake the Dorptown from my back yard.

Frankwurst
05-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm getting too old for the hassles associated with going to big shows,

-Ray
Amen. Small Venues my Friend, small venues. I'll see John Prine this coming monday with less than 2500 people. :beer:

TorelliTom
05-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds just the two of them with acoustic guitars.

March 1999, Marin Civic Auditorium in San Fran. Bob Weir and Carlos Santana guested.

Fixed
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
bro where the action is tour dino , desi and billy . .....young rascals ...dave clark five ... all together oh yeah how about canned heat ? ten years after ... emerson lake and palmer j giles the winter bros .......allman joys remember them?
spirit . iron butterfly . bob dyan and the band .

gone
05-06-2006, 07:23 PM
This thread has started me thinking of some great bands that I saw in small venues before they "made it". I saw Mountain, Grand Funk Railroad and the James Gang at a little place called the Ludlow Garage in Clifton, OH (near UC). It was easy to see then that they'd all make it big and it's really fun to see groups before they become jaded by success/drugs/"the lifestyle" and are still doing it 'cause they love it and working their butts off.

catulle
05-06-2006, 07:48 PM
bro where the action is tour dino , desi and billy . .....young rascals ...dave clark five ... all together oh yeah how about canned heat ? ten years after ... emerson lake and palmer j giles the winter bros .......allman joys remember them?
spirit . iron butterfly . bob dyan and the band .

Iron Butterfly. Lynchburg, Va. 1968. Very groovy. Inagadadavida, or something, iirc, atmo.

znfdl
05-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh where to start:

Pink Floyd: Another Brick in the Wall
Grateful Dead: New Haven 1979
Talking Heads: Chapel Hill 1982

Biggest Dissapointment: U2 MCI Center Washington DC

coylifut
05-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I've seen alot of rock shows that were great.

Ramones
Clash
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Sound Garden
Alice n Chains

the first show was when I was 12 and my 16 year old sister took me to Kiss.

The best show I've ever seen?

The smiths.

MartyE
05-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Iron Butterfly - The Electric Factory Phila, 1968 Inagaddadadadatmo. . .

Albert King, Mississippi Fred McDowell (sic), Hound Dog Taylor, Univeristy of Miami cafeteria 1972 (there were others but I don't recall who. . .)

marty

Louis
05-06-2006, 09:34 PM
All this Rock & Roll stuff...

I'm wating for the guy who's man enough to admit that the best concert he ever saw was by KC and the Sunshine Band. That's the way (I like it) ...

bironi
05-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Michael Bloomfield sitting about 10 feet from me, playing electric guitar solo in a small bar venu in Seattle. I shook his hand afterwards in congratulations. He asked why I had no mustache with my beard. I loved the way this guy played the blues. It always sounded like he was a little unsure where he was going, but he always found his way. Check out Paul Butterfield Blues Band "East-West" for some of his best.

Climb01742
05-07-2006, 04:29 AM
oddest "bookend" concerts...in high school, on consecutive weekends, saw alice cooper then gordon lightfoot...hey, i was young and it was raining in oregon and was trying to impress two very different girls...failed both times.

93legendti
05-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Led Zep, 1977. Spring in Pontiac, Michigan and 3 hours (no warmup act) of the best hard rock band of all time.

Dekonick
05-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Pink Floyd - by far the best show. Momentary Lapse....

First show - AC/DC - Brussels Belgium. 13, drinking stella and having a grand time...

Stella - at some small venue in Brussels... I dont remember much but it was a great time (yeah - Stella is a group...)

Lotsa others - Clapton, Clash, Prince, Ozzy, Buffet (wasting away...), Squeeze, Cure, Rush <---Neil jams!, Big Head Todd and the Monsters (in Denver on New Years - way cool)etc...

biggest regret? Not going to see Queen in 1982.

Fixed
05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
bro here is one for ya savoy brown remember them how bout long john baldry ? john mayall . moody blues ,

YO!!!
05-07-2006, 01:22 PM
bro here is one for ya savoy brown remember them how bout long john baldry ? john mayall . moody blues ,

Savoy Brown....Hell Bound Train???

Mayall at the Jazz & Heritage festival with Coco Montoya on lead.
I Want to Go, Congo Square, Jacksboro Highway, Black Cat Moan,
& Sugarcane...

Serpico
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
:cool: Bikini Kill - at the Gargoyle (Washington University, St. Louis) 1995

ohh yeah, and Human Shield :D anywhere

Serpico
05-07-2006, 05:40 PM
:beer: saw Bob Dylan open for Paul Simon about 7 years ago - Saint Louis, Riverport

Frankwurst
05-07-2006, 05:46 PM
All this Rock & Roll stuff...

I'm wating for the guy who's man enough to admit that the best concert he ever saw was by KC and the Sunshine Band. That's the way (I like it) ...

Let us not forget the village people..... :beer:

Birddog
05-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Dave Brubeck, about 5,6, maybe 7 years ago. He still had it. My brother saw him a coupla weeks ago, said he was having difficulty moving around on stage, but when he sat at the paino it was pure magic that came from his fingers.

Take Five,
Birddog

YO!!!
05-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Small gig at the Blue Room in The Fairmont {aka Roosevelt Hotel} in N'awlins.
This was in the late 70s. Tina was between Ike/Tina & Tina Turner fame.
She was playin' the gotta work to eat circuit. Probably less than 50 folks in the crowd.

She filled the room with almost 2 hours of nonstop energy.

jerk
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
:cool: Bikini Kill - at the Gargoyle (Washington University, St. Louis) 1995

ohh yeah, and Human Shield :D anywhere

nice!

merckx
05-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Berkeley College of Music, Boston Massachusetts fall 1991. Lisa Gerrard is God.

e-RICHIE
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Zen7 at the PAC in NJ about 8 years ago.

jerk
05-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Zen7 at the PAC in NJ about 8 years ago.

***?

no seriously, ***?

jerk

Erik.Lazdins
05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Grover Washington Jr. Orlando,FL
Sonia DaDa a bar in Orlando
John Prine and Bonnie Raitt Gainsville,Fl
John Prine and Cowboy Junkies Orlando,Fl
Linda Ronstat and Neil Young Des Moines, Ia
Little Feat and Poco Seattle, Wa
Jerry Jeff Walker Seattle, Wa
The Dead with Bruce Hornsby
R.E.O. Speedwagon A bar in Milwaukee
Buddy Guy a bar in Orlando
C,S,N, & Y
Clapton
Stephen Stills in a bar
Joe Cocker
The list goes on and on with no particular one being the best but all good enough for me to still have fond memories of. :beer:

Grover had incredible dexterity, fluidity, and a "calmness with wicked intensity". The guy had incredible chops. He launched other careers and seemed to love what he did. I saw him twice. A privilege.

e-RICHIE
05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
***?

no seriously, ***?

jerk

i first heard about them in 85 on a trip to the milan show.
the cat from calzature domini gave me some tapes and i
jumped on. wikked awesome.

jerk
05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
i first heard about them in 85 on a trip to the milan show.
the cat from calzature domini gave me some tapes and i
jumped on. wikked awesome.

yeah but they're just a feel like you wouldn't believe cover band. and the jerk cries when he sees beautiful things like that.

jerk

e-RICHIE
05-07-2006, 08:06 PM
yeah but they're just a feel like you wouldn't believe cover band. and the jerk cries when he sees beautiful things like that.

jerk

covers are under-rated.
think clash and i fought the law.
major league jitters on that atmo.

jerk
05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
covers are under-rated.
think clash and i fought the law.
major league jitters on that atmo.

yeah, but think sid vicious and "my way".

jerk

e-RICHIE
05-07-2006, 08:21 PM

jerk

and don't forget dino, desi, and
billy covering chimes of freedom.
they were barely 15 at the time.
useless factoid: dino sam cooked himself
working for the airforce atmo.

Dr. Doofus
05-07-2006, 08:52 PM

jerk

that's the definitive version

mwos
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
This thread has started me thinking of some great bands that I saw in small venues before they "made it". I saw Mountain, Grand Funk Railroad and the James Gang at a little place called the Ludlow Garage in Clifton, OH (near UC). It was easy to see then that they'd all make it big and it's really fun to see groups before they become jaded by success/drugs/"the lifestyle" and are still doing it 'cause they love it and working their butts off.

I didn't go to any concerts at the Ludlow Garage but I lived real close to it. In the 90's it was converted to shops and there was a bicycle shop named Biowheels. I bought my Voodoo mtn bike there.

Kathi

BillyBear
05-07-2006, 09:26 PM
George Thorogood at Tulagi in Boulder (80)
BB King
Commander Cody and Flash Cadillac at CU (great shows for free!) :banana:
Lynyrd Skynyrd at "ebbets field" in Denver before the release of first album
Bruce, Dead, U2 at Red Rocks, Who, Genesis, Pink Floyd,

csm
05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
and social distortion doing ring of fire

Kevin
05-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Small gig at the Blue Room in The Fairmont {aka Roosevelt Hotel} in N'awlins.
This was in the late 70s. Tina was between Ike/Tina & Tina Turner fame.
She was playin' the gotta work to eat circuit. Probably less than 50 folks in the crowd.

She filled the room with almost 2 hours of nonstop energy.

I saw her in the late 80s at the Jones Beach theater. She put on an incredible show.

Kevin

davids
05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
that's the definitive version
I hope you're joking. Sid had turned sad and pathetic, and the whole thing reeked of exploitation. So obvious, so "punk rock"...

Give me the Pistols covering "Stepping Stone", or even the "Roadrunner" rehearsal jam.

p.s. Husker Du, "Eight Miles High". omfg, atmo.

Dr. Doofus
05-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I hope you're joking. Sid had turned sad and pathetic, and the whole thing reeked of exploitation. So obvious, so "punk rock"...

Give me the Pistols covering "Stepping Stone", or even the "Roadrunner" rehearsal jam.

doof isn't joking

selling "punk" on major label was the pinnacle of exploitation -- as was the whole sex pistols concept from day one under malcolm mcclaren. sid sings was what you already bought with never mind the bullocks, just stripped of the energy that fooled you into believing it was rebellion. it was, as peter burger would put it if he were doof, pure 100% bourgoeis coopting of the avant-garde, version 1979...so, if the story of punk was that of the neo-nietzchean avant garde burning itself out and stripping itself of any real oppositional power as it became nothing mroe than its mode of production and distribution, then sid sings is *the* punk album, bro.

(real punk bands were available on self-made casettes)

Spinner
05-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Ella Fitzgerald with the Dave Brubeck Quartet

Birddog
05-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Ella Fitzgerald with the Dave Brubeck Quartet
WOW!
Birddog

Jeff Weir
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Woodstock.

Period.

The End.

pjm
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
That would have to be Cher at the.............just kidding. ;)

One that immediately comes to mind is Sonny Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, and Al Foster at the Colonie Coliseum (with rotating stage) back around 1980 or so. Just a mesmerizing show, and it was an honor to see these legends perform.

davids
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
doof isn't joking

selling "punk" on major label was the pinnacle of exploitation -- as was the whole sex pistols concept from day one under malcolm mcclaren. sid sings was what you already bought with never mind the bullocks, just stripped of the energy that fooled you into believing it was rebellion. it was, as peter burger would put it if he were doof, pure 100% bourgoeis coopting of the avant-garde, version 1979...so, if the story of punk was that of the neo-nietzchean avant garde burning itself out and stripping itself of any real oppositional power as it became nothing mroe than its mode of production and distribution, then sid sings is *the* punk album, bro.

(real punk bands were available on self-made casettes)
I see your point, but disagree.

The Pistol's existence was a critique/exposé of lie of rock and roll as rebellion. But (atmo) they were massively important not because of that fact, but because they transcended it. They were a great rock and roll band. It's that tension (utterly unresolvable) that made them brilliant.

It's the same story when Joe Strummer sings "Death or Glory." The Clash knew the game was fixed, but they played it brilliantly, with every intention of winning anyway, and that made all the difference.

Self-made casettes are beside the point. You want punk? I give you Bob Dylan at the 1991 Grammys, playing "Masters of War" as death metal.

spiderlake
05-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I've seen way too many concerts to list but a few come to mind:

* Stevie Ray Vaughn - Ionia Free Fair in the early 80's. My parents dragged me kicking and screaming to see this concert. I had no desire to hear him but once I got there...... WOW!! Really changed my attitude about music.

* The Cure - Boy's Don't Cry Tour in Detroit in 84 or 85?? I wrecked my car on the way to pick up my buddies. The car was totaled and the case of beer I just had my "buyer" get for me was strewn all over the intersection where the accident happened. The car was towed away and I had to call a buddy to get him to drive to Detroit. We stopped by the bodyshop and grabbed the beer! Never saw that car again and had an amazing time at the show. I saw the Cure in Germany in 90 but it just didn't have the same impact as the Detroit show.

* The Smiths - Queen is Dead tour - Fox Theatre in Detroit. I think this was '86. It was at this show that I introduced my alter ego, Darby Ferguson. to the world. Long story - fake irish accent and a story about being an exchange student. By some blind stroke of luck, it worked. A friend of mine was so drunk he spent the entire show throwing up in the aisle with his head leaning up against the seat in front of him. The classic quote, that we still rub in his face to this day was, "This is the best concert I've ever "heard".....

* U2 - Fountain Street Church, Grand Rapids in '81. Maybe 1000 people total in the church. Tickets, IIRC, were about 7 bucks. I was 15 and this was my first "real" concert without my parents dragging me along. I have seen U2 several times since then but it has never compared to the first time I saw them.

* Alien Sex Fiend - Germany in '89 or '90. Extremely bizaare show and I only knew a couple songs prior to the concert. Not really my style of music but man what a production.

Some other notables - The Verve Pipe in East Lansing playing in the basement of a house. Kid Rock before he blew up into a major act. A quick story about Kid Rock, he BEGGED to play our graduation party (MSU '97 - yeah, I started college when I was 25!) but we declined because we thought his sound might not appeal to everyone. We went with the Bomb instead, a cover band that had a huge following in East Lansing. Those were the days!!

champlemon
05-08-2006, 10:47 AM
R.E.M.... on Spring Break 1983 in the University of Miami courtyard, opening for the English Beat... before Michael Stipe got all high and mighty. R.E.M., only had an EP back then and I had never heard of them... but they were so good... that we left when the English Beat started playing... it was no contest!

Ozz
05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Best Music: Lloyd Cole, Seattle, Moore Theater, Early '90's, row 5

Best Venue: Jonathon Richman & Modern Lovers, Seattle, UW Kane Hall, late '80;s, no seats, on floor stage, about 3 feet away. Same show a year or so later at the Medieval Inn in Madrona neighborhood.

Best Experience: Grateful Dead....late '80's.....Eugene, Autzen Stadium...the rest is kinda fuzzy.....

goonster
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Faith Healers, CBGB's, '93
(Didn't know who they were, as I had gone to see weddingpresent in support. The resulting Can-shags-Rickie Lee Jones-on-crank maelstrom was something I've never quite recovered from. Too Pure records in the early 90's . . . aaaah)

Also very good:
Moose opening for Cocteau Twins, NYC '94
Low, everybody sitting on the floor, Philly '98
Belle and Sebastian, NYC '98
Nirvana, Vienna '92
PJ Harvey, NYC '92

(Laying it out like this, I'm starting to see where my development was arrested :banana: )

Two shows I really, really wish I could have seen:

Smiths, '86, Queen is Dead tour with the fifth Smith
My Bloody Valentine, '91, Loveless tour (they say the shows were mostly indistinguishable noise, but I still wish I'd borrowed money for a train trip to Frankfurt . . . :crap: )

pale scotsman
05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Rage against the machine in the summer of '96 at bayfront auditorium in Pensacola. They were just getting big and some co-workers talked me into going. We pre-gamed at a bud's house, with me swearing I'd stay out of the pit, knowing full well we had general admission with no seats on the floor. That lasted for one song. Man... I was sore for days after that.

Fixed
05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
That would have to be Cher at the.............just kidding. ;)

One that immediately comes to mind is Sonny Rollins, McCoy Tyner, Ron Carter, and Al Foster at the Colonie Coliseum (with rotating stage) back around 1980 or so. Just a mesmerizing show, and it was an honor to see these legends perform.
bro that must have been great i.m.h.o.

Roy E. Munson
05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Motorhead...with Fast Eddie and Philthy, of course. :crap: :crap:

spiderlake
05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Are you talking about Craig Gannon?? I heard a rumor that Gannon, Andy Rourke and Johnny Marr recorded or will be recording together in the near future. Some other rumors about a potential Smith's reunion. Morrissey certainly doesn't need it and I think Marr is set but I have no idea what the other guys have been up to......

You mentioned hopping the train to Frankfurt. I'm assuming Germany and if so, from what town? I was in Hanau and went into Frankfurt all the time to catch shows at the Festhalle, Kongresshalle, Batschkapp, Cookies and the like. Good times! Best club in Hanau was the Ku-Ba.

<SNIP>
Two shows I really, really wish I could have seen:

Smiths, '86, Queen is Dead tour with the fifth Smith
My Bloody Valentine, '91, Loveless tour (they say the shows were mostly indistinguishable noise, but I still wish I'd borrowed money for a train trip to Frankfurt . . . :crap: )
</SNIP>

Russell
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Bruce Springsteen and the E St Band – Aug 1975, Chrysler Auditorium, Norfolk, VA. I have seen him many times since, but this was the best by far.

Talking Heads, George Washington U, 1983. I fell in love with Tina Weymouth that night. Right up against the stage. "Stop Making Sense" tour.

The Blasters, Ontario Theater, Wash, DC, 1983 or 4. American music, baby!

U2, Ontario Theater, 1981. Bono was chubby, wore ugly tartan pants and climbed the scaffolding

Mississippi Blues Caravan - Uni of Missouri, 1977. Righteous old dudes.

The Replacements, Marvin Center, GWU, 1986. Sloppy, drunk, and on fire.

Sonic Youth, 1986. Complex Theatre, DC.

Flipper, Gang Green, Die Kreuzen, WUST Music Hall, DC. Can't remember the date, but the warm Buds were $1

Fugazi / Soulside, Fort Reno, DC, Aug early/mid 90s.

Kevan
05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
and his sons. They played at my college and his kids added a fun twist to his standards. Wish there was an album.

goonster
05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Are you talking about Craig Gannon??

Of course. :)

Morrissey certainly doesn't need it and I think Marr is set but I have no idea what the other guys have been up to......

They are definitely not "set" as they own no publishing rights.

The royalties lawsuit left so much bad blood that I doubt they'll ever reunite. Not that they should, anyway. What good has ever come of reunions?

Morrissey:

"The Smiths were a beautiful thing and Johnny left it, and Mike has destroyed it."

Regarding the MBV show in Frankfurt . . .

I was in Vienna, and have never been to any show in Germany. :(

Jeff N.
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
The Doors, Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, Dec. 1967. Jeff N.

Frog Hair
05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
PINK FLOYD - 1994- Rice Stadium, Houston, TX.

RUSH - 1997 Amphitheater, Milwaukee, WI. (4th row, center stage)

SOUL COUGHING - 1998 some small nightclub in Boston, MA.

DAVID GRAY- 2006 Theater Under the Clouds, Portland, OR.

Have had a couple of run-in's with a few celeb musicians over the years;
Met Jeff Beck connecting a flight at DFW, can't remember when. Met Neil Peart at LAX back in '99 and met Pat Benetar at a hotel in SoCal one night (yikes) and Reggie Houston (sax player for Fats Domino).

Life would be far less interesting without live music...

spiderlake
05-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I just meant Marr was probably set in terms of royalties plus the work he did with The The. Does Morrissey own the publishing rights? I just did a quick google search and found that the band just turned down a couple million dollar offer to reunite:

http://www.merrymedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1219&Itemid=61

I agree with you about the potential reunion. Nothing good could come of it.

Of course. :)

They are definitely not "set" as they own no publishing rights.

The royalties lawsuit left so much bad blood that I doubt they'll ever reunite. Not that they should, anyway. What good has ever come of reunions?

Morrissey:

"The Smiths were a beautiful thing and Johnny left it, and Mike has destroyed it."

Regarding the MBV show in Frankfurt . . .

I was in Vienna, and have never been to any show in Germany. :(

taz-t
05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
What good has ever come of reunions?

Normally, I'd agree. But the Pixies reunion show in Atlanta was excellent and from all accounts so were the other shows on the tour.

- taz

glc
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Neurosis at the Middle East in Cambridge 1995 maybe 96'. Sonic waves of sound that turned the audience into never ending swells. Twas RAD.

Dekonick
05-08-2006, 09:54 PM

Heh - Husker Du - saw them in DC in 1984 (or '85) in some dive - it was my introduction to Government Issue and Husker Du. Real punk or not? I dont know... but I enjoyed the show.

jerk
05-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Neurosis at the Middle East in Cambridge 1995 maybe 96'. Sonic waves of sound that turned the audience into never ending swells. Twas RAD.

the jerk was there.

not bad.

jerk
05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I see your point, but disagree.

The Pistol's existence was a critique/exposé of lie of rock and roll as rebellion. But (atmo) they were massively important not because of that fact, but because they transcended it. They were a great rock and roll band. It's that tension (utterly unresolvable) that made them brilliant.

It's the same story when Joe Strummer sings "Death or Glory." The Clash knew the game was fixed, but they played it brilliantly, with every intention of winning anyway, and that made all the difference.

Self-made casettes are beside the point. You want punk? I give you Bob Dylan at the 1991 Grammys, playing "Masters of War" as death metal.

what davids said.

imagine being 17 years old and having the entire world hate your guts....mclaren was just along for the ride. what the pistols were and are is the manifestation of the rabid lie of youth and rock n'roll and teenage fanatasy into reality. they were real; and john could sing, cookie could drum and steve and glen were probably the greatest three chord song writers of their generation. it was the clash who couldn't really play their instruments but were able to fudge it....hell, sid vicious wrote the music to "belson was a gas" which is the biggest kick in the teeth ever written in drop d; and he was the worst musician of the lot. the sex pistols are the greatest rock and roll band ever.

jerk

manet
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
bow wow wow _ some providence ballroom 1983?

d_douglas
05-09-2006, 02:37 AM
Not by band (unfortunately), but if anyone ever gets a chance to see 'Electric Masada' with John Zorn, they will be treated to the finest avant garde (if that's your thing) jazz music around today. Even if you don't like it, treat it as a spectacle and enjoy, because he is brilliant and it is like a showcase of the best cutting edge jazz musicianship around.

Think Grateful Dead, early 70's Miles Davis and the Rollins Band fused together perfectly....

d_douglas
05-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Are you related to Bob Weir? Your musical timeline seems to match, I understand that Bob Weir is a cyclist - is it all a coincidence???

davids
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I saw them in Ann Arbor around the same time. Not so memorable for the music, but Annabella Lwin was, um, a stimulating performer.

Dekonick
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM

Sandy has a band? :confused:

William
05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Pink Floyd

1988-9, Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour.

In the nose bleed seats. I didn't care, I WAS THERE! :cool:

William

scottfa
05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Geesh I was at that Who concert in 1975. I was in the second row from the top and FREEZING my *ss off! It was so loud I was glad I wasn't on the main floor and I have played in bands for years.
Let's see:
Led Zep at the Grande Ballroom,
John Mayall with Mick Taylor at the Grande Ballroom,
and maybe best of all at the Grande: Arthur Brown.
Original Jethro Tull AND Led Zep in Chicago
Sun Ra( I forget where)
Recently:
Robben Ford in Macomb
Little Feat at the best place to hear music( the Ark in Ann Arbor)
btw: the 1972 live album by Little Feat( Live in Neon Park) is fantastic!

Jill
05-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Spiderlake, I had the same experience seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn in 1990.
My husband wanted to see Stevie and Joe Cocker at "The Gorge" in Eastern Washington. To me that meant sun and real heat with a bonus of Joe Cocker's showmanship. I'd never heard of Stevie or his music before that night.

It was an early evening concert, about 100 degrees dry heat and not a cloud in the sky. The venue is a natural amphitheater and the backdrop to the stage is the Columbia river and its canyon walls which the river has created over the years. No freeway noise, no airplane noise, just Stevie and his music. He played his heart out and had everyone's undivided attention. It was an amazing concert and I remember thinking how cool it was that I was introduced to his music live and was able to see his talent first hand. He died 3 weeks later after a concert in a helicopter crash at age 36.

Here is a link to the venue. It wasn't quite so nice 16 years ago...

www.hob.com/venues/concerts/gorge/

Thanks for the great thread!

-j

William
05-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Spiderlake, I had the same experience seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn in 1990.
My husband wanted to see Stevie and Joe Cocker at "The Gorge" in Eastern Washington. To me that meant sun and real heat with a bonus of Joe Cocker's showmanship. I'd never heard of Stevie or his music before that night.

It was an early evening concert, about 100 degrees dry heat and not a cloud in the sky. The venue is a natural amphitheater and the backdrop to the stage is the Columbia river and its canyon walls which the river has created over the years. No freeway noise, no airplane noise, just Stevie and his music. He played his heart out and had everyone's undivided attention. It was an amazing concert and I remember thinking how cool it was that I was introduced to his music live and was able to see his talent first hand. He died 3 weeks later after a concert in a helicopter crash at age 36.

Here is a link to the venue. It wasn't quite so nice 16 years ago...

www.hob.com/venues/concerts/gorge/

Thanks for the great thread!

-j

The Gorge is a great place. And I would have loved to see Stevie play there. That's a wonderful experience to have. :cool:

I was driving over Snoqualime pass when I heard the news of the crash. It hit me hard. Someone with so much talent who turned his life around and things were picking up for him...and then....

William

Russell
05-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Heh - Husker Du - saw them in DC in 1984 (or '85) in some dive - it was my introduction to Government Issue and Husker Du. Real punk or not? I dont know... but I enjoyed the show.

Gov't Issue was one of my favorite harDCore bands. John Stabb was a wild dude. Wonder what ever happened to him?

chrisroph
05-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Saw Guy Clark Sunday night with his right hand man guitar whiz Verlon Thompson. The guy Guy is a national treasure, great acoustic music, great songs.