PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Cinelli Spinaci

gmcampy
07-30-2015, 04:08 PM
It looks like the bars are a bit smaller dia and do not fit onto the 26.4 dia part of my Criterium bars. Is the "intent" to mount these on the smaller dia portion of the Cinelli bars. If so I need to unwrap a bit and re configure cables. The other option is have the dia machined out to fit 26.4.

Thanks
Glenn

Ti Designs
07-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Spinaci bars were made after Cinelli stopped making their own bars. The last runs of 66's 65's and 64's were produced by 3ttt with a clamp diameter of 26.0, so Spinaci bars fit a 26.0 bar. If you're looking for a crit bend in that diameter, try 3ttt Gimondi bend bars. They came stock with a number of popular Bianchi bikes, so you can still find them around.

By far the best thing about Spinaci bars is the instructions on the box. Clearly directly translated from italian to english, or maybe from italian to german, then to english. In the competition for the worst translation of instructions, it won by a mile. They don't tell you to tighten the bars, they call it the "definitive screwing". I'm not kidding.

drewellison
07-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Don't they clamp on the smaller diameter part of the bar, not on the center bulged area? Then it shouldn't matter if it's a 26.4 or 26.0 bar.
It's been a while since I've installed Spinacis. I hope you enjoy!
Drew

oldpotatoe
07-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Don't they clamp on the smaller diameter part of the bar, not on the center bulged area? Then it shouldn't matter if it's a 26.4 or 26.0 bar.
It's been a while since I've installed Spinacis. I hope you enjoy!
Drew

Looked up some pix(I couldn't remember either) and yup, on center bulge. And on 26mm handlebars.

carpediemracing
07-30-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm pretty sure I mounted my Spinacis outside the bulge area, on the narrower bit, i.e. same diameter as a brake lever clamp.

I found a reference and a picture (http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=110638&d=1247215070) on the other forum I frequent with calipers up to a Spinaci with 24mm. This means clamping outside the bulge.

merckx
07-31-2015, 05:54 AM
They are designed to be clamped outside of the sleeve area. Just peel back the tape, and move cable housing as necessary.

Ti Designs
07-31-2015, 08:56 AM
There were two generations and a recall on the first which had a 26.0 clamp diameter, 'cause people were trying to clamp them on Cinelli bars.

For those who can see the humor in this, it's not just the italians with multiple standards, who get things a little wrong. OK, their bottom brackets are 33mm x 24TPI, but keep in mind that when Shimano first came out with anatomic brake hoods, the right one said "L" and the left one said "R"...

Being in the bike industry for as long as I have, I've seen lots of standards change, in the worst way possible. Now I'm either amused or frustrated when we run into things that just don't work. The other day I had a customer with a Cervelo tell me the spinle of his crank was too short. I had to explain BB Right, and why the crank from his old Cervelo was now 11mm short. I did a fitting on a guy who's bike had a Deda35 bar and stem. I wanted to chance the length and angle of his stem, which was going to cost him $500 'cause nobody else uses a 35mm clamp...

In an industry where every company is trying to stand above the rest, there will always be little innovations which double as royal pains in the a$$. I still have yet to figure out what's wrong with a round seatpost in a common size. Maybe if I had a aero seatpost, which only fit my bike, I would have won the Tour 8 times...