PDA

View Full Version : Summer gloves recommendations?..

Pastashop
07-30-2015, 03:27 PM
What are people riding / liking these days?.. I probably don't need / want a lot of padding, but some is probably better than nothing (currently ride without gloves).

Thanks!

rnhood
07-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm currently using the Performance Ultra and its nice. Adequately ventilated, little padding and pittards leather that is not black. So it won't discolor your white tape. $20 with the current 30% discount. A bargain.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1152914_-1___000000

lhuerta
07-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Giro Monaco (padded)
Giro Zero (unpadded)

Top quality construction and durable, at reasonable price point.

doomridesout
07-30-2015, 05:34 PM
I have been using nothing but the Specialized Grail... kind of a weird concept but they feel perfect-- no padding where you grip but the central pad keeps my hands happy. They get 5 stars from me.

bcroslin
07-30-2015, 05:48 PM
I know I'm liable to get laughed out of here but I bought the Rapha Pro gloves and they are awesome. Super light weight with leather stitched into the palms and no stupid gel pads. I hate wearing gloves because my hands overheat and the Rapha gloves work really well but best to buy them when you have a discount code and you can tack them on to a larger order to get free shipping.

steelbikerider
07-30-2015, 06:02 PM
I go to the local big box discount house and buy the cheapest Bell branded gloves with no padding. They last longer than bike store brands and quality is better.

carpediemracing
07-30-2015, 06:13 PM
CamelBak Vents. They're apparently a "tactical" glove, meant for shooting and such. No padding, full finger, comfy. No weird seams, pressure points, etc.

sw3759
07-30-2015, 06:30 PM
i have to 2nd the giro recommendation..really happy with the Bravo and Monaco gloves.comfy hold up well not too much padding.close second are the specialized bg sport but mine are non current maybe 2013 so not sure if the newer model is as good.i prefer the Velcro strap gloves versus gloves with just an elastic band around the wrist as I seem to get less hand numbness with the adjustable strap versions

Lovetoclimb
07-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Been using the Giro Siv (http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/gloves/road/siv.html#gid=23084) because they breath very well. Nice weird tan line on the back of the hand too!

William
07-30-2015, 09:09 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1793503&postcount=10

William

FlashUNC
07-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Assos. Beat mine up for three years now, still look and feel new.

jmoore
07-30-2015, 09:45 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1793503&postcount=10

William

I approve of this post :hello:

jemoryl
07-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Teosport. Comfortable, hard wearing and can be had at a reasonable price if you shop around.

Louis
07-30-2015, 11:08 PM
I prefer old-school crochet back gloves, and I tend to be pretty cheap. I've really found the holy-grail for this - Airius gloves. Light padding, and artificial leather that works very well for me. So far (over two years of use) no horrible stink, and they don't harden if you wash them. I love them. Best of all: less than $10 a pair.

They're inexpensive enough that I cycle through several pairs at a time to give them a nice long time to dry out. Also, on very long rides I do tend use my Specialized crochet gloves (can't seem to find them online anymore) that have a bit more padding.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeXPGe5UE8io73D8GaG5zp8ka5gULlu wCEmEy1rssgx4WV4yckjQ

oldpotatoe
07-31-2015, 07:56 AM
What are people riding / liking these days?.. I probably don't need / want a lot of padding, but some is probably better than nothing (currently ride without gloves).

Thanks!

I don't wear gloves, yes, yes, I know..but for you, gloves because of hurting your hands/palms if you fall? Or a comfort issue? If number 2, maybe better bartape?
Just curious.

I really don't like to wear gloves unless it's cold.

guido
07-31-2015, 08:05 AM
I am liking the Louis Garneau 12C Air cell gloves. Nice padding without having the hard nubs of gel dig into my hands like the Perl Izumi ones do. They keep my hands happy on long rides...

jmal
07-31-2015, 09:07 AM
I don't wear gloves, yes, yes, I know..but for you, gloves because of hurting your hands/palms if you fall? Or a comfort issue? If number 2, maybe better bartape?
Just curious.

I really don't like to wear gloves unless it's cold.

I never wore gloves until a couple of years ago when I moved to the "south." The summers are very humid here and I use them for grip. Otherwise, my bar tape and hoods turn to slime in half an hour. I also like them for wiping sweat from my brow. If I lived in CO I probably wouldn't need them. I lived in KS for a few years and the constant wind kept me dry. I seek out minimally padded gloves as I like to feel the bar. Currently using LG of some sort. Need new ones as mine stink after one ride.

ANAO
07-31-2015, 09:13 AM
These guys are our sponsor.

I wear the leather ones in all but the hottest conditions - even racing. Crashed in them a few times. They protect my hands very well and don't look any worse for wear.

I wear the crochet ones above 90* or so.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0799/5849/products/Leather-Gloves-01-1650_1024x1024.jpg?v=1426341886
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0799/5849/products/Crochet-Gloves-1650-08_1024x1024.jpg?v=1427148305

William
07-31-2015, 09:28 AM
A lot of good options, but I vote for supporting our supporting vendors....and Jason at Recovered Saddles has some of the best leather cycling gloves out there IMO.

William

deechee
07-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the note about Recovered Saddle; although I couldn't find any gloves on the site?

Personally I've probably only worn crappy leather gloves (not to mention they make me think of winter) but I was really happy with the Nike cycling gloves I can't find anywhere now. I like the no velcro, slip-on, enough fabric to wipe my nose feel. (the velcro always finds a way to scratch me and I find it didn't make it any easier to put it on. and then I could never just throw them in the wash. Yes, I could just put it in a mesh bag, but I'm lazy.)

Pastashop
07-31-2015, 10:52 AM
I never wore gloves until a couple of years ago when I moved to the "south." The summers are very humid here and I use them for grip. Otherwise, my bar tape and hoods turn to slime in half an hour. I also like them for wiping sweat from my brow. If I lived in CO I probably wouldn't need them. I lived in KS for a few years and the constant wind kept me dry. I seek out minimally padded gloves as I like to feel the bar. Currently using LG of some sort. Need new ones as mine stink after one ride.

+ 1 on this and to prevent undue loss of skin in case of a fall (I know, tuck-and-roll, but still...).

I'm generally pretty "light" on the bike, including the bars, but when it gets very hot, seems like gloves could help hold on better and also to wipe the sweat. (Last time I wore gloves for warm weather riding was prolly 12+ years ago -- during races.) Maybe a little bit more padding than just the cotton cloth tape :-)

Thank you for the great suggestions! Am probably going to check out the Giro unpadded gloves; a trip to REI is in order this weekend!

Pastashop
07-31-2015, 10:53 AM
A lot of good options, but I vote for supporting our supporting vendors....and Jason at Recovered Saddles has some of the best leather cycling gloves out there IMO.

William

Cool. Maybe a better option than REI, provided I can get the fit sorted out. I'll see if I can contact Jason for a set.

jmoore
07-31-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the note about Recovered Saddle; although I couldn't find any gloves on the site?

Cool. Maybe a better option than REI, provided I can get the fit sorted out. I'll see if I can contact Jason for a set.

My gloves are not available just yet. I have paid for the first production run and they are being made as we speak. Give me another few weeks and they should be here and ready for sale. I am going to have a Paceline special once they arrive, so everyone will be getting a bit of a discount off retail.

If you are a Twitter or Instagram user, you can search for CueroGloves and everything will be announced there as well.

Very bad pic here.

spiderwj
08-01-2015, 11:18 PM
I recently picked up a pair of Shimano half fingers that are passing the test this far. For me, the most critical aspect of a half finger glove is the elastic in the finger web. I have used a few pair that are not elastic between the fingers and they bind with the web of my hands. The Specialized, Shimano, and a pit of cheap descente gloves have all worked out nicely as comfortable gloves as a result of the elastic (spandex?) web between the fingers.

Just my 2 cents...gloves, seats, shoes, they are all a very personal choice.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpang922
08-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Anyone has experience with Giro LTZ II?

http://www.giro.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/479x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/i/giro_ltzii_glove_monowhite_1_2_1.jpg

acorn_user
08-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Teosport. Comfortable, hard wearing and can be had at a reasonable price if you shop around.

I second this. They fit my hands very well, and wear well too. They sometimes show up with different brands on them. I like the velcro-less ones best.

charliedid
08-02-2015, 10:48 PM
My gloves are not available just yet. I have paid for the first production run and they are being made as we speak. Give me another few weeks and they should be here and ready for sale. I am going to have a Paceline special once they arrive, so everyone will be getting a bit of a discount off retail.

If you are a Twitter or Instagram user, you can search for CueroGloves and everything will be announced there as well.

Very bad pic here.

EPIC! Stratton
08-03-2015, 08:06 AM
Gotta say I'm more of a long finger glove year round kinda guy. Gotta protect my hands for work (medical research). I like the Fox Digits for summer.

sandyrs
08-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Anyone has experience with Giro LTZ II?

http://www.giro.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/479x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/i/giro_ltzii_glove_monowhite_1_2_1.jpg

Great gloves. Minimal padding, nice light material.

zap
08-03-2015, 09:14 AM
I only wear "summer" gloves when it is hot and humid. Better to grip the bars and hoods.

So, if I'm wearing gloves and it's hot and humid, might as well having some terry cloth backing (not the entire back, need some venting) to wipe off the sweat when I'm climbing.

I have DeMarchi gloves that I purchased some years ago.

jpang922
08-03-2015, 12:03 PM

Thanks. Giving them a try.

Ryun
08-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Yes I use these all the time.
Work great if you don't want padding. The LTZ1 used to tear at the cuff but these seem to be holding up better

jemoryl
08-03-2015, 06:58 PM
I second this. They fit my hands very well, and wear well too. They sometimes show up with different brands on them. I like the velcro-less ones best.

I think Teosport may make the gloves for Santini and maybe some of the Capo/Bergamo gloves.

acorn_user
08-03-2015, 07:54 PM
I think Teosport may make the gloves for Santini and maybe some of the Capo/Bergamo gloves.

I'm not sure about the Santini connection. I had a pair of both from our kit supplier (Cento Cycling), and they are quite different. I'm sure Teosport makes them for others though, as you say. I've seen them with Assos and Exte Ondo labels...