PDA

View Full Version : Oakley M Frame Question

charliedid
07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
So, I had the same pair of M Frames for over twenty years. Last year (maybe 2 years now) the frames finally broke. We don't sell them at work so I had been wearing other "cycling glasses" on the bike.

I decided to buy a pair of frames and a couple lenses from Oakley.

My issue is replacing the lenses. My older lenses used to swap in and out with less effort than my new ones. The new ones seem to require a bit more manhandling...

Anyone else have this same experience?

redir
07-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't know how old the M-Frames I have are, didn't even know that they went back 20 years but yes, I have noticed that. I bought some new lenses about a year ago and they are slightly different. If you look at the ends the old ones seem to have a little hook that you fit in first before snapping them in place at the middle near the nose piece. The new ones do not have this hook so you need to carefully place them in the ends before snapping them in or else they slip out and seem impossible to fit in.

charliedid
07-30-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't know how old the M-Frames I have are, didn't even know that they went back 20 years but yes, I have noticed that. I bought some new lenses about a year ago and they are slightly different. If you look at the ends the old ones seem to have a little hook that you fit in first before snapping them in place at the middle near the nose piece. The new ones do not have this hook so you need to carefully place them in the ends before snapping them in or else they slip out and seem impossible to fit in.

Exactly

So maybe it's just a technique thing. They were know to break prematurely but I got lucky.

Yep, I am pretty certain M Frames came out in 1989

Thanks

dvs cycles
07-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Oakley HQ is just down the street from me. My early M's broke and took them directly to the warranty dept. and were replace no questions and no charge.
A few years ago replacements broke but they made me by a new lens and they would replace the frames for free.

charliedid
07-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Oakley HQ is just down the street from me. My early M's broke and took them directly to the warranty dept. and were replace no questions and no charge.
A few years ago replacements broke but they made me by a new lens and they would replace the frames for free.

Thanks,

I'm not worried about warranty so much as the way the lenses install.

If I think it's an issue I know they will take care of it. I just want to determine that first.

They work, just not as easily as my old pair.

redir
07-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Yeah if you are like me then you'll just get used to it. At first I too was like, huh... WTH? :confused: I think I actually had put them back in the box to ship back and then decided that they must fit and tried it again till I got it.

old fat man
07-30-2015, 01:04 PM
I don't think those were M frames in 1989, but regardless, I've got some black M frames from the 90s that I'd be happy to part with.

charliedid
07-30-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't think those were M frames in 1989, but regardless, I've got some black M frames from the 90s that I'd be happy to part with.

They were called Mumbo's I think, but I think that was arguably the first M frame. The Blade preceded both and was really the start of the smaller frames. Before that I word Factory Pilot's!

Anyway...I'm good.

Thanks

dvs cycles
07-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Before that I word Factory Pilot's!

Thanks
Still have mine somewhere in a drawer of old stuff.

charliedid
07-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Still have mine somewhere in a drawer of old stuff.

Put em on the ebay. All the kids love those things. I think they even reissued them.