PDA

View Full Version : Shorts/Bibs Buying Advice

castafly
05-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Are the high dollar shorts and bibs worth the money? If so, which ones (brands and models) do you like the best or feel are the best bang for the buck? I've never hand anything better than the upper-end Performance Bike shorts and bibs, so I have no idea if the high-dollar ones are that much better. I don't think the ones I do have are all that great, but they are a lot better than the cheap ones I've owned in the past. Just wondering if there is a corresponding jump in comfort and durability between the mid-price and upper-end shorts as there was between the cheapies and the mid-price ones.

Ray
05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Are the high dollar shorts and bibs worth the money? If so, which ones (brands and models) do you like the best or feel are the best bang for the buck? I've never hand anything better than the upper-end Performance Bike shorts and bibs, so I have no idea if the high-dollar ones are that much better. I don't think the ones I do have are all that great, but they are a lot better than the cheap ones I've owned in the past. Just wondering if there is a corresponding jump in comfort and durability between the mid-price and upper-end shorts as there was between the cheapies and the mid-price ones.
I'm also a Performance bib short guy. I like the ultras and the elites and whatever they used to call their top of the line. I've done plenty of tours and centuries with these shorts and been very very comfortable. Basically never think about my nether regions on these rides, so must be nothing's bothering me.

I've never tried the REALLY high dollar stuff, like Assos and Exte Ondo and whatnot. I've bought pairs of Castelli, Giordana, DeMarchi though when it was on sale and haven't personally been impressed. They're OK, but less comfortable to me than the Performance stuff. I've bought some Voler shorts and knickers and been pretty happy with those too - but they don't really feel any different than the Performance gear at the same price point.

Maybe the $250 bibs are notably better, but if it ain't broke, why go broke? If you're having a problem getting comfortable, then all bets are off and all possibilities are on the table. But if not, what for?

-Ray

Lanternrouge
05-05-2006, 06:03 PM
My current favorite shorts are by Bergamo. My club got our kits from Bergamo and we love the shorts. They are on the lower end of the high side for shorts. I think they retail for about $130 or so in black. These are about the most expensive shorts I've ever had. I like them a lot more than the Squadra shorts, which are Castelli materials but made by a licensee.

Although a little fredly, I've been fairly happy with the Performance brand Elite and Ultra bib shorts. Some people find the pads too thick. You can manage to get the Performance logos off the avoid the Fred look.

Erik.Lazdins
05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Are the Assos 2 FI-13 times better than the Giordanas or Pearl Izumi's. Not in my experience, however my Assos have a heavier lycra that just feels better. The chamois works well. I like them and don't feel like its a Swiss conspiracy to rip off the cycling public. They are great bibs.

But...

Since they are sooo valuable - I keep them for the 3hr plus rides - which in this age of 2 kids and laying tile in the kitchen are few.

beungood
05-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Anyone have any experience with Bellweather? A local shop has them and recomends them over the Pearl Izumis.

CNY rider
05-05-2006, 07:22 PM
I'll second Ray's comment, and agree that the Performance shorts and bibs are quite good. I like the Elite actually a little better than the Ultra, but I think both are excellent shorts and a good value for the dollar.

I don't give a rat's *** what anyone thinks about my clothing, so the "FRED" comment is irrelevent. Hopefully most people are secure enough with themselves to wear whatever they want. (As an aside, I enjoy this board because it's generally lacking in the kind of asshat's that post comments about other riders being Fred's.)

I also have Boure tights, and they're great for cold weather, also at a fair price.

itsalldark
05-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Performance shorts-----you get what you pay for. Assos, nothing else even comes close. Yes they cost more---and you will not find them blown out somewhere. You will actually have to belly up to the bar and lay down the big bucks. Once you wear them, you will be looking through the drawer to find them every time you ride. Take the rest of your shorts and give them away. Lets stop kidding around, the only people who don't like Assos shorts are the folks who could not imagine parting with that kind of green. Jump in the water is warm!!!!!!!

Ken Robb
05-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Jeeze I'm glad I didn't meet LRouge on the ride I just finished. I was in a grey Ibex wool jersey, black un-bike shorts, black sox and brown Topsiders--Major Frederick--he might have puked. :beer:

cycleman_21
05-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Anyone have any experience with Bellweather? A local shop has them and recomends them over the Pearl Izumis.

I have an old pair of Bellweather shorts that I cant find any more of, I wish
I had 6 more of these type, they were cheap and had minimal padding, almost a suede leather look to the pad.
Where's your shop? Maybe he's got them :beer:

Ron C

beungood
05-05-2006, 07:59 PM
They are in a small LBS called Anderson's on Washington ST in Quincy. His wife deals with most of the clothing details and after comparing the construction most people were buying the Bellweathers so she stopped ordering alot of PI's and leans toward the Bellweathers. They had both Shorts and Bibs the last time I was in there.

stevep
05-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Are the high dollar shorts and bibs worth the money?

i think the more complicated the pad the worse the pad... all the stitches, the layers, the dual density/ tri density... its like sitting on a pile of mulch.... but more expensive.

92degrees
05-05-2006, 08:10 PM
i bought two new pair of Boure elite this winter and i've been very impressed. good guys to deal with too...and they shortened both pairs for me.

SoCalSteve
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Performance shorts-----you get what you pay for. Assos, nothing else even comes close. Yes they cost more---and you will not find them blown out somewhere. You will actually have to belly up to the bar and lay down the big bucks. Once you wear them, you will be looking through the drawer to find them every time you ride. Take the rest of your shorts and give them away. Lets stop kidding around, the only people who don't like Assos shorts are the folks who could not imagine parting with that kind of green. Jump in the water is warm!!!!!!!

I felt this way for a very long time about Assos. I have owned a 1/2 a dozen pair over the years. Until I found DeMarchi Bib shorts.

For me, the chamois works better than the Assos with all my Brooks saddles. But, the material is not as nice as the Assos. There are trade offs in life. I can live with the material not feeling as nice as long as my a$$ is comfy.

Good luck!

Steve

PS: You can find them from $120.00 to 150.00 a pair. This is a bargain compared to Assos.

Louis
05-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Since they (Assos) are sooo valuable - I keep them for the 3hr plus rides

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who does this.

0 < T < 1 hr I use my older Performance / Nashbar stuff that I've had for ages

1 < T < 2 hrs I use my Voler's (which used to be a great deal, but they've raise their prices quite a bit this year, so I won't be buying any more of those)

T > 2 hrs I use my PIs or high-end Performance

Since I have both Performance and Nashbar shorts I guess that makes me a Phred, but I sometimes wear a T-shirt so I guess we already knew that anyway.

Given how well the PI's work for me, the Assos shorts would practically have to pedal the bike for me in order for me to consider spending that much more on them. They may be better, but why bother if you don't really need them?

Louis

93legendti
05-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Castelli KISS bibs--VERY comfortable.

MartyE
05-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Etxe Ondo work well for me. Minimalist pad no fancy shapes and
they look like honest to god Chamois. Pez cycling reviewed them
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3628
Marke, Olympic and Power are the models I prefer.
The newer lines are high zoot shaped chamois that I haven't tried.

Cost? last time I bought bibs they were less than $50 a pair, not exactly
high dollar.

marty

Marco
05-06-2006, 11:47 AM
What 93LegendTi said. They rock.

Ray
05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Castelli KISS bibs--VERY comfortable.
different butts I guess - I have a pair and they're fine, but I like the Performance elite and ultra a good bit more. I use the Castellis, but only for rides up to maybe 40-45 miles.

-Ray

93legendti
05-06-2006, 12:23 PM
different butts I guess - I have a pair and they're fine, but I like the Performance elite and ultra a good bit more. I use the Castellis, but only for rides up to maybe 40-45 miles.

-Ray

I haven't tried those P's yet, but I may. In the past, the bib part of P shorts bugged me.

Ray
05-06-2006, 12:49 PM
I haven't tried those P's yet, but I may. In the past, the bib part of P shorts bugged me.
The bib part is real different. With both the Castellis and Giordanas I have, the bib is pretty uncomfortable off the bike, but fine once you're on the bike and in a riding position. The Performance bibs (and Volers) are fine off the bike and, for me, are fine when riding also. But the Castellis and Giordanas are clearly designed to be better on the bike than off (makes sense) and Performance seem ok either way. But that might make some people NOT like them on the bike - just guessing. Doesn't affect the rear end, just the position of the straps.

-Ray