PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Connect on a Mac

bobswire
07-29-2015, 03:30 PM
I hadn't used my Garmin for over a year until today but Garmin wouldn't allow me to upload my ride because they no longer support Snow Leopard OS . They stated I must upgrade to Yosemite OS. I had nothing but problems with Yosemite and after my old HD failed I installed a new HD and only went as far as Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I was a happy camper. Now I'm told I MUST upgrade to Yosemite!
This sucks, I don't like Yosemite (unless I go there in person :) ) is there a way around this or all the devices going to require you use Yosemite?

drewellison
07-29-2015, 03:51 PM
I've got an old mac laptop which I think is 8 or 9 years old. The OS is maxed out at 10.6.X or something like that. I have Garmin Express installed on it and it works just fine for loading my Edge 500 rides up to connect.garmin.com.

Furthermore, you can link strava to connect.garmin.com to automatically transfer from connect to strava.

If you can't make it work, I'll see if I can send you the garmin connect app I'm using and you should be able to set it up just the same.

Drew

rnhood
07-29-2015, 03:54 PM
You can update to 10.9.5 and it will work perfectly. But eventually you will need to put Yosemite on there. I have not loaded it either since I get an "smart error" message - requiring me to change the hard drive before updating. I've been too busy.

Anarchist
07-29-2015, 03:56 PM
I don't think you actually need any app to upload the Garmin data.

The Garmin should show up in the finder as an external disk which allows you to explore it just like a hard drive.

Go into the activities folder, copy the relevant activities to a folder on your mac and then upload them from there to Garmin connect.

Then erase them from your Garmin.

ceolwulf
07-29-2015, 04:27 PM
I don't think you actually need any app to upload the Garmin data.

The Garmin should show up in the finder as an external disk which allows you to explore it just like a hard drive.

Go into the activities folder, copy the relevant activities to a folder on your mac and then upload them from there to Garmin connect.

Then erase them from your Garmin.

I don't use Garmin Connect but this is how I upload to Strava, manually upload the .fit file from the Activities folder. I'm not sure if all Garmins expose that folder though?

Anarchist
07-29-2015, 04:42 PM
I don't use Garmin Connect but this is how I upload to Strava, manually upload the .fit file from the Activities folder. I'm not sure if all Garmins expose that folder though?

The last devices I had before giving up on Garmins were the 705 and the 500, both exposed that folder.

rnhood
07-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Yes, the folder is there but the activity files will have the .fit suffix so, this will need to go to Garmin Connect, RidewithGPS, Strava or some other application, on-line or otherwise. I like Garmin Connect since it works very well, keeps all the ride data/info filed neatly away, and its easy to download routes as well as create routes. RidewithGPS does most of this too and is a good on-line app. I never liked Strava but they have made upgrades since I used it last. Still, Garmin Connect is easy and efficient. Plug my device in and it recognizes it, checks for upgrades and sync's the files transparently.

Don49
07-29-2015, 05:04 PM
I had nothing but problems with Yosemite and after my old HD failed I installed a new HD and only went as far as Snow Leopard 10.6.8.I was in that very situation awhile back. I installed Yosemite early on and hated it so much I reverted to Snow Leopard from a backup. Then I tried Yosemite again recently and am now happily running 10.10.4 without the problems experienced earlier. You might want to give it another try as I believe many of the earlier issues have been corrected. You will be assimilated.

dustyrider
07-29-2015, 06:05 PM
It's not just Garmin stuff either.
Iphone6 wont talk to anything older than apple deems appropriate.
I shouldn't be surprised. The recent decision of apple to put a single usb-c port on their macbook makes it seem like anyone requiring the use of a wire interface in their product is going to be loosing a segment of macbook consumers. Ushering us into "the internet of things".
In other words, submit and update. Or spend your time on the workarounds...which costs more?

bobswire
07-29-2015, 06:39 PM
It's not just Garmin stuff either.
Iphone6 wont talk to anything older than apple deems appropriate.
I shouldn't be surprised. The recent decision of apple to put a single usb-c port on their macbook makes it seem like anyone requiring the use of a wire interface in their product is going to be loosing a segment of macbook consumers. Ushering us into "the internet of things".
In other words, submit and update. Or spend your time on the workarounds...which costs more?

Yeah, I know. I purchased the first Special Edition Imac (1995 or 96) and have been loyal Mac consumer since but upon the death of Steve Jobs they seem to have lost their way (or soul). What's to distinguish them from a PC any longer?

Anyway I'm thinking of going by way of Mountain Lion and pay the $20 instead of the free Yosemite. Last time I downloaded it was hell.

bobswire
07-30-2015, 07:36 AM
I was in that very situation awhile back. I installed Yosemite early on and hated it so much I reverted to Snow Leopard from a backup. Then I tried Yosemite again recently and am now happily running 10.10.4 without the problems experienced earlier. You might want to give it another try as I believe many of the earlier issues have been corrected. You will be assimilated.

Don, I followed your advice (gulp) and went ahead and re-installed Yosemite on the new HD. So far so good, everything transferred over painlessly and my Garmin is working.
Thanks to everyone for their advise and Don for giving me a little push. :hello: