PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Bashguard for Campy Triple

Lovetoclimb
07-29-2015, 02:49 PM
I installed a Campy Racing Triple group on my Surly Crosscheck recently because it was a low cost option for turning the bike into an all around rambler. The 53t chainring is nonsense and I never use it. Compound that with the fact that the 45mm fenders now interfere with the movement of the front derailleur enough to all but prevent it from going to the big ring. My long term plan was to replace the 53t ring with a bashguard but I am having a bit of difficulty in identifying my options. I would think there are not many out there in the 135 BCD size but these look like winners:

http://bbgbashguard.com/products/135-bcd-42t-blackredblue

My question is the 1/8th inch overhang going to be enough to prevent interference with the front derailleur? Worst case it is not a large expense if it does not work. Or should I inquire about a custom 44 or 46 teeth size to allow for movement of the front derailleur?

Hindmost
07-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Won't you have the option to position the fd where it will clear the bash guard (like is clears a 53)? I believe the "overhang" they refer to is radial, not lateral.

oldpotatoe
07-29-2015, 03:01 PM
I installed a Campy Racing Triple group on my Surly Crosscheck recently because it was a low cost option for turning the bike into an all around rambler. The 53t chainring is nonsense and I never use it. Compound that with the fact that the 45mm fenders now interfere with the movement of the front derailleur enough to all but prevent it from going to the big ring. My long term plan was to replace the 53t ring with a bashguard but I am having a bit of difficulty in identifying my options. I would think there are not many out there in the 135 BCD size but these look like winners:

http://bbgbashguard.com/products/135-bcd-42t-blackredblue

My question is the 1/8th inch overhang going to be enough to prevent interference with the front derailleur? Worst case it is not a large expense if it does not work. Or should I inquire about a custom 44 or 46 teeth size to allow for movement of the front derailleur?

Why do you need a bashguard at all? Get some track(short) chainring bolts and remove 53. You now have a 42/30.

Lovetoclimb
07-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Why do you need a bashguard at all? Get some track(short) chainring bolts and remove 53. You now have a 42/30.

Even better! Thought the bashguard would compliment for townie bike aesthetic but I will try the short bolts first. Thanks.

thirdgenbird
07-29-2015, 03:16 PM
In glad I went bashguard. It's not mechanically needed, but fits the look.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Yokota-%20ss/6184c22249187d39dfad02e438d42617_zps1c41bfc9.jpg

Ken Robb
07-29-2015, 03:20 PM
And it keeps your pants clean.

Lovetoclimb
07-29-2015, 03:50 PM
In glad I went bashguard. It's not mechanically needed, but fits the look.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Yokota-%20ss/6184c22249187d39dfad02e438d42617_zps1c41bfc9.jpg

What make model and size is that bashguard? Looks like a BBG ...

thirdgenbird
07-29-2015, 10:17 PM
What make model and size is that bashguard? Looks like a BBG ...

It's a FYXO made for a 42t ring. The bbg bash guards are nice and functional parts. The FYXO is more refined but also more money. I picked it up used here. Not many 135bcd examples.

mccx
07-29-2015, 11:26 PM
It's a FYXO made for a 42t ring. The bbg bash guards are nice and functional parts. The FYXO is more refined but also more money. I picked it up used here. Not many 135bcd examples.

Glad you're liking that bashguard Casey.

I don't think FYXO sells these, or their custom chainrings, anymore, but it might be worth contacting Andy to inquire if this is what you're after.

thirdgenbird
07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Yeah, it is a great piece. I've debated adding gears to the bike, but that bash guard is on my short list of parts that won't go up for sale. Very thankful you let it go. The framesaver also went to use on the same bike.

It looks like FYXO ran a closeout on their bash guard and chainring combo (130bcd) last year. I've never seen a 135bcd version listed.

mccx
07-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it is a great piece. I've debated adding gears to the bike, but that bash guard is on my short list of parts that won't go up for sale. Very thankful you let it go. The framesaver also went to use on the same bike.

It looks like FYXO ran a closeout on their bash guard and chainring combo (130bcd) last year. I've never seen a 135bcd version listed.

The 135bcd was a custom job for me, so you likely have the only one of those in existence.

I don't know any details about why FYXO doesn't have custom rings & bashguards in their store anymore or whether there's someone in Melburn that still mills these, but if Lovetoclimb or anyone else wanted to inquire I'm sure FYXO will answer.

bicycletricycle
07-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Cut the teeth off if a big ring . I use a lathe these days but I used to just clip the teeth off with some side cutters and then finish it with a file. Nice rings have a lip below the teeth, just file up to that lip.

Or get someone with a lath to do the job.

Or use a disc sander.