PDA

View Full Version : WTB: XS/Small Cross Bike or Flat Bar Road Tourer

Liberace
07-29-2015, 10:14 AM
My wife has rediscovered the joys of riding thanks to the bike paths here in Virginia, so we are looking for a bike that would fit her comfortably at 5'2" and not break the bank.

Anyone have a bike sitting or even a frameset?

Thanks,
Sean

ultrafi
07-29-2015, 10:28 AM
I don't have one for you. But, I can tell you what I did. My wife is 5'1" and has a bad neck - lingering injury from a car wreck. We got her a Ridley x-fire 44cm, as small as they come. I selected the seat post. They make a difference in the ride BIG TIME. I like the setback zipp best. The bars are enve carbon straight bars. Grips are ergon gs2. Now here's the kicker. It has Ultegra Di2 11-speed. I hacked a set of TT shifters and fabricated brackets that mount to paul mountain bike brake levers. They a buttons on the front and back of tabs that come down off the levers. A button on one side for the up shift and a button on the other for the down shift. Beautiful!!! She's extremely happy. Her hands just aren't big enough to swing most of the drop bar shifters. The shifting is dreamy!! She owned about everything and this is by far the best.

Pelican
07-29-2015, 10:43 AM
I've got a small Miele mtb frame that I've rebuilt into a drop-bar touring bike. You could make it into a flat bar road bike with 3x9 shifters and cassette, but it's got a 3x8 Sora kit on it now. Let me know if you want pictures.

Liberace
07-31-2015, 09:32 AM
I've got a small Miele mtb frame that I've rebuilt into a drop-bar touring bike. You could make it into a flat bar road bike with 3x9 shifters and cassette, but it's got a 3x8 Sora kit on it now. Let me know if you want pictures.

She's already on a converted mtb, so we are looking for something a bif different with 700c wheels(which I should have specified). Thank you for the offer.

Liberace
07-31-2015, 09:37 AM
I don't have one for you. But, I can tell you what I did. My wife is 5'1" and has a bad neck - lingering injury from a car wreck. We got her a Ridley x-fire 44cm, as small as they come. I selected the seat post. They make a difference in the ride BIG TIME. I like the setback zipp best. The bars are enve carbon straight bars. Grips are ergon gs2. Now here's the kicker. It has Ultegra Di2 11-speed. I hacked a set of TT shifters and fabricated brackets that mount to paul mountain bike brake levers. They a buttons on the front and back of tabs that come down off the levers. A button on one side for the up shift and a button on the other for the down shift. Beautiful!!! She's extremely happy. Her hands just aren't big enough to swing most of the drop bar shifters. The shifting is dreamy!! She owned about everything and this is by far the best.

Sounds like a great set up.

The drop bar shifters are definitely a dilemma for most women with smaller hands. I have a Veloce group with flat bar shifters that may be
the ticket if I can find a nice 700c frameset in a small size that takes wider tires.

Pelican
07-31-2015, 10:02 AM
She's already on a converted mtb, so we are looking for something a bif different with 700c wheels(which I should have specified). Thank you for the offer.

I'm running 700c Mavic SpeedCity wheels with disc brakes. ;)