PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Comparison: Fabric Scoop VS All-City Gonzo

pgrizzwald
07-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Just making an observation here, as I'm looking at new saddles. Everyone is raving about Fabric's new line of saddles. Specifically the Scoop. I actually have an All-City Gonzo saddle on-hand and noticed that the two actually look quite similar in shape/specs. Of course, there are differences in materials, but I'm more interested in the saddle's shape. Can anyone comment on this?

Fabric Scoop

http://fabric.cc/shop/saddles/scoop/

http://www.artscyclery.com/reviews/FBSCSHS/FBSCSHSreview.html

All-City Gonzo

http://allcitycycles.com/parts/saddles/gonzo

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222364754/109/All-City-Gonzo-Perforated.html

macaroon
07-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Yep, similar but not the same. That all city saddle looks like it's based on the Charge Spoon. Charge also produced the Scoop (now rebranded as Fabric for the road market). I can confirm they are different saddles.

http://static.jensonusa.com/images/Color-Image/Zoom/3/G00007UX.jpg

macaroon
07-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Here's the two together

http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/bikemagic_new/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/IMG_9981.jpg

pgrizzwald
07-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Soooo, basically, I should just stick with the Gonzo then huh?

macaroon
07-28-2015, 04:18 PM
Well, that's upto you. THe Fabric come in a variety of shapes; the radius model is closest to the Gonzo saddle I'd say.

stephenmarklay
07-28-2015, 05:45 PM
This has peaked my interest. Somewhere i read some good things about the Fabric. I was about to order a Prologo Scratch Pro, but perhaps I might reconsider?

MattTuck
07-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Can't say much about the comparison you're asking for, but just spent a bit more than 2 hours on a demo Fabric Scoop Shallow Elite. My ass did not get along with it, and the shape wasn't great for my thighs.

Will give it another ride, with some fore-aft positioning changes before I give up and try something else.

I will say this, it has a somewhat tacky feel to it. It was very hot/humid today, so I'm not sure if this is typical, but I felt my bibs bunching a bit against the tacky saddle.

stephenmarklay
07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Can't say much about the comparison you're asking for, but just spent a bit more than 2 hours on a demo Fabric Scoop Shallow Elite. My ass did not get along with it, and the shape wasn't great for my thighs.

Will give it another ride, with some fore-aft positioning changes before I give up and try something else.

I will say this, it has a somewhat tacky feel to it. It was very hot/humid today, so I'm not sure if this is typical, but I felt my bibs bunching a bit against the tacky saddle.

Thank you sir.

one60
07-29-2015, 07:10 AM
I have a few rides on the new Scoop with the rounded profile. Its quite well priced in the steel railed version & well constructed.

It offers a bit more cushion than my Aliantes. Since its on my rain bike, I can't provide a better comparison at the moment.

marciero
07-29-2015, 07:28 AM
I saw the scoop at lbs. with three profiles was difficult to select. Seem reasonably priced. I am wondering which profile Is closest to fizik aliante... May jus try the medium

MattTuck
07-29-2015, 07:28 AM
I have a few rides on the new Scoop with the rounded profile. Its quite well priced in the steel railed version & well constructed.

It offers a bit more cushion than my Aliantes. Since its on my rain bike, I can't provide a better comparison at the moment.

Are you talking about the Radius?

According to their site, Fabric suggets the Radius for a more upright position. That is probably marketing B.S. I can say that the Scoop Shallow is firmer and less padding than an Aliante.

Edit: I take that back. I have no idea about the new Aliante saddles, I haven't handled them yet. The Scoop Shallow feels more firm than the Aliantes I've handled in the past.

one60
07-29-2015, 08:22 AM
my comments were about my experience with the Scoop Radius.

The Fabric saddles come in different profiles (flat, shallow and radius). I do not know if the padding differs between the profiles.

Are you talking about the Radius?

According to their site, Fabric suggets the Radius for a more upright position. That is probably marketing B.S. I can say that the Scoop Shallow is firmer and less padding than an Aliante.

Edit: I take that back. I have no idea about the new Aliante saddles, I haven't handled them yet. The Scoop Shallow feels more firm than the Aliantes I've handled in the past.

MattTuck
07-29-2015, 08:27 AM
my comments were about my experience with the Scoop Radius.

The Fabric saddles come in different profiles (flat, shallow and radius). I do not know if the padding differs between the profiles.

Interesting. I may have to try the Radius also. Curious if you had to go slightly nose up on the radius.

For the shallow, I felt that I had to go nose up.

pgrizzwald
07-29-2015, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the mini-review. Too wide or narrow for you? The tackiness might be good for cx.

MattTuck
07-29-2015, 09:27 AM
So hard to say after just one ride. I need to move it back a little, I think, and play with the tilt.

I was climbing, and felt like I wanted to push back further in the saddle to get more glute activation. As I did this, I felt like the saddle was too wide for where my legs wanted to be. Sort of slicing into my inner thighs.

Will give it another ride tomorrow to see if I can get it dialed in a bit more.

For what it's worth, my ischial tuberosities measure something like 9.6cm. This is pretty narrow from what I understand. I'd just like to find a saddle that is comfortable :)