PDA

View Full Version : bike confidence and self confidence

Fixed
05-05-2006, 06:29 AM
bro what about your bike gives you confidence? do you feel eveything is strong and depenable ? i.m.h.o. when i have confidence in my bike i have confidence in myself . confidence builds speed i.m.h.o.
what do you think ?
cheers

catulle
05-05-2006, 06:51 AM
New rubber, atmo.

davids
05-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Balance.

I feel like a broken record, but getting my bars 1 cm lower made a major difference in my confidence on the new bike. I've got my weight in the right place between the wheels, and it's like the bike's become an extension of my body.

Ray
05-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Just basic handling. Yeah, the parts have to work and not break, but the handling of the frame is the be all, end all for me. A frame that's stable enough to keep you out of trouble and responsive enough to get you out of trouble when you manage to get yourself into it is HUGELY confidence inspiring to me. When the frame handles right, I feel like I can do just about anything I want or need to on a bike (with the possible exception of go fast :cool: ).

-Ray

Spinner
05-05-2006, 07:30 AM
must be dependable for century rides or for flying down hills with abandon. i like phil bottom brackets, open pro wheels, stronglight headsets, ta chainrings, etc. yes, the frame must work correctly, but it's the mechanicals that are most prone to failure.

have a great weekend of riding forum members. the weather in these parts is going to be perfect. time to get mrs. spinner out on the co-mo tandem.

Grant McLean
05-05-2006, 07:34 AM
bro what about your bike gives you confidence? do you feel eveything is strong and depenable ? i.m.h.o. when i have confidence in my bike i have confidence in myself . confidence builds speed i.m.h.o.
what do you think ?
cheers

you are wise bro. for me it's about being able to get to the place where I can
do something automatically without having to think about it, where it just happens.
Once you experience that feeling, it stays with you always.
g

Too Tall
05-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Feel like a "ditto head"....
Having utter confidence in the bike. If there is one thing that would be my wheels/tire combo. For instance, yesterday as a warmup for a sprint workout me and a pal bombed a very twisty road with lots of blind corners etc. and I never thought twice about my bikes or my ability to turn the bike to the point of a controlled tire scrub. A second "thing" is body comfort. I need an extensive warmup before I'm limber and ready to rawk if you know what I mean.

e-RICHIE
05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
bro what about your bike gives you confidence? do you feel eveything is strong and depenable ?
I'll put my dark glasses on
And i'll make love until my strength is gone
And when the morning light comes streaming in
I'll get up and do it again
Get it up again

Jeff Weir
05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey e-richie

do you find yourself struggling for the legal tender?

Mr. Browne

e-RICHIE
05-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey e-richie

do you find yourself struggling for the legal tender?

Mr. Browne

i take paypal atmo

flydhest
05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
steel gives me confidence.

OldDog
05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
The color. Red. It's fast. It handles.

Now if only the engine was up to the task...

Fixed
05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
bro all steel bike with great wheels and good tires it just works i.m.h.o.

alancw3
05-05-2006, 09:40 AM
for me confidence in my bikes is like the feeling of an extension of my body limbs. i am not saying that all bikes i have owned have given me that feeling but for sure the bob jackson and the c'dale six13 have. perhaps it is sizing or geometry i don't know but i do know when you feel it it is great!

cydewaze
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I've had my bike in one form or another for around 13 years, and it's been over some seriously rough stuff, with me weighing 15-20 lbs more than I do now.

I'm pretty confident that I don't have to worry about anything breaking.

davids
05-05-2006, 11:31 AM
steel gives me confidence.
confidence gives me steel.

flydhest
05-05-2006, 12:18 PM
confidence gives me steel.
confidence gives me wood.

Too Tall
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/wooden.htm