PDA

View Full Version : Amish/Mennonite LBS's, is it just a local phenomenon?

Kingfisher
07-28-2015, 08:56 AM
I've got two local bike shops here in central PA that are run by Amish guys, they are in the middle of nowhere and they are really a treasure. One is a cannondale dealer, the other specialized and they basically carry everything! They are equal to the local conventional bike shops in the area in regards to product and their prices are low....like Continental tires and tubes at mail order pricing.

Is this just here in PA or do you guys across the country have them too?

buldogge
07-28-2015, 09:18 AM
I assume they are actually Mennonite, or some other Anabaptists...given the need for lighting/electricity in the shops. Unless they have someone else sign the lease/utilities and "borrow" the electricity daily!

???

Anyway...I don't think you are gonna find many similar set-ups...maybe in IN and OH, as well.

We see a mix of Amish and Mennonite farmers at the local farmer's market (most from IL, just across the river) and they certainly seem like genuinely good people, with a positive attitude.

-Mark in St. Louis

I've got two local bike shops here in central PA that are run by Amish guys, they are in the middle of nowhere and they are really a treasure. One is a cannondale dealer, the other specialized and they basically carry everything! They are equal to the local conventional bike shops in the area in regards to product and their prices are low....like Continental tires and tubes at mail order pricing.

bart998
07-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Haven't seen any in the L.A. area... most of the "pro" shops are upscale and prices are high. Not too many "mom and pop" stores left.

DHallerman
07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
My association of Amish and cycling:

Several of us were cycling in the Lancaster PA area a few years ago, a hot day, not much shade.

We were out of water and were passing a farm house. The woman who lived there, clearly Amish, was outside and when we asked her for water, with a warm smile she said (paraphrase): "Of course. I'm about to leave right now, but just go into the house and you can get water there."

Yes, she invited us into her home -- and she was leaving.
Wow, trust is a kind and beautiful thing.

Dave, who notes that even with her invite we were a bit uncomfortable bringing our dirty smelly cyclist bodies into her house and so we got water in the barn instead

sokyroadie
07-28-2015, 09:37 AM
There is a large community of Mennonite's a few counties west of me (sort of Western KY area) they have a bike shop but did not carry a whole lot of stuff.

Jeff

peanutgallery
07-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Every community has its own rules when it comes to technology and sometimes the the line with the whole amish/mennonite thing gets really blurred when it come to acceptable use rules. Lots of crazy work arounds, like its ok to use something if you don't actually "own" it, or if it doesn't have wires (cell phone), lack of pneumatic tires, phone in a box at the end of the driveway, health related items (there are a few genetic issues that they are very concerned about) and they may be able to use tools to make a living. Every church has its rules and they go round and round about it I'm sure. Pretty interesting if you're paying attention

Where I live the best bike shop in the area is Amish (I think, not sure and haven't asked). They have the best service and prices but can be a little awkward when it comes to communicating with you. Its the only LBS that I will allow to touch my bike. The shop is in a butler building behind a trailer in the middle of nowhere, there are tools, electricity, credit card machine (but cash is preferred) and they do speak with the PA dutch lilt. Always an adventure to visit

As far as the deal, the owner purchases only closeout stuff with cold cash, no floor plan for these guys - looks like they do this with parts and acces, too. The back of the shop is stacked to the roof with bikes from $200 to $5000. They are a cannondale/fuji/breezer/raliegh/salsa dealer and the prices are always way cheap. Low overhead and indentured servants apprenticing probably helps quite a bit:) Additionally, it is my understanding that the owner has staked others in other amish/mennonite communities to open a shop and he is a distributor of sorts

The whole anabaptist community loves their bikes, assuming that it gives them freedom akin to a car or motorcycle. Sundays are the big day out and you see tons out on the roads - all ages. Touring bikes and recumbents are very popular, if you're having a rough day you will get outclimbed by a Jan Ulrich looking guy with work boots and handmade jeans/shirt in 90 degree heat. Better yet, run down and dropped by the recumbent TTT

I've even started seeing them on the local MTB trails, kinda cool

I assume they are actually Mennonite, or some other Anabaptists...given the need for lighting/electricity in the shops. Unless they have someone else sign the lease/utilities and "borrow" the electricity daily!

???

Anyway...I don't think you are gonna find many similar set-ups...maybe in IN and OH, as well.

We see a mix of Amish and Mennonite farmers at the local farmer's market (most from IL, just across the river) and they certainly seem like genuinely good people, with a positive attitude.

-Mark in St. Louis

MattTuck
07-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Somebody had to do it.
http://nyvelocity.com/wp-content/uploads/floyd.jpg

johnniecakes
07-28-2015, 11:13 AM
The only shop I will go to is owned by a Mennonite farmer who still works the farm and also the shop. Having a large and supportive family really helps to keep everything running smooth. 2 years ago on a whim I decided to build up a Salsa La Cruz I some how acquired. After about an hour I had a complete 5700 group and wheels to finish the bike. More inventory than any shop in Philadelphia, you can always find what you need. The best part is no one has ever tried to up sell me or applied any pressure to get me to buy something they wanted to sell that I did not want to buy. Integrity is a rare thing these days and I have no problem driving 45 minutes to get there.

PaMtbRider
07-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Care to name the shops? I'm always up for visiting a well run shop when I'm in the area. Shirk's bike shop in Lancaster is the first place that comes to mind when I think of Amish /Mennonite bike shops.

johnniecakes
07-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Care to name the shops? I'm always up for visiting a well run shop when I'm in the area. Shirk's bike shop in Lancaster is the first place that comes to mind when I think of Amish /Mennonite bike shops.

Shirks is the one !!! And only 2 miles away is the famous Shady Maple buffet. And very soon a new 12 lane shooting range is opening in a closed bowling alley 1/2 mile east of the buffet. Life is good here in PA. Bikes Bullets and Buffet. :banana:

Vinci
07-28-2015, 11:20 AM
A buddy of mine lives in that area and was telling me about an Amish/Mennonite shop. It might have been Shirk's.

He said it was incredibly well-stocked and the guys working there did great work for impossibly-low labor prices.

Shortsocks
07-28-2015, 11:23 AM
I went a Mennonite wedding in Lancaster PA 8 years ago. Not being Mennonite at all, this was my first real introduction to Mennonite culture. Holy balls I had a blast. They separated the women and men, and placed all the men in one massive room, with bunk beds for three days. I only knew two people at the beginning, by the end I knew everyone and actually was welcomed into this BEAUTIFUL family. Brought my Rig along with me, and rode with at least a dozen people who showed me some great roads around PA.

And the wedding!? By the time we actually got to the ceremony and party, everyone knew each other and it was a completely diff experience. Both families and friends actually didn't BS. We had made friends. Best wedding I'd ever been to. The Mennonites threre were Fantastically gracious people. :o

Kingfisher
07-28-2015, 11:47 AM

The shops are Merv's Bike Shop in Walnut Bottom, PA (it is on Firehouse Road off Walnut Bottom road, halfway between Carlisle and Shippensburg) and Zimmermans Bike Shop in Meiserville, PA, about a mile off Rt 104 north.

peanutgallery
07-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Merv's is the place I was talking about. Erv is his partner in crime, no joke

Every trip is an adventure

The shops are Merv's Bike Shop in Walnut Bottom, PA (it is on Firehouse Road off Walnut Bottom road, halfway between Carlisle and Shippensburg) and Zimmermans Bike Shop in Meiserville, PA, about a mile off Rt 104 north.

Ray
07-28-2015, 12:36 PM

Me too. When I was heavily into buying bike stuff, Shirks was a regular stop for me, even though it's about a 30 minute drive and there were decent shops closer. Luke is a great guy and his wife and kids always worked the shop with him. And the little dog kept watch. I'm guessing most of his kids are adults now but I wouldn't be shocked if they were still working the place.

Back in the day, he was the best wheel-builder in the area. I still have a few sets of his wheels hanging in my garage and a couple on bikes, but my two road bikes have fancy pre-built wheels now. I haven't been out to Luke's shop in a few years as I just haven't been buying anything but tubes, tires, and chains for about the past 5-6 years. And that stuff I just get mail order...

-Ray

oldpotatoe
07-28-2015, 12:50 PM
A buddy of mine lives in that area and was telling me about an Amish/Mennonite shop. It might have been Shirk's.

He said it was incredibly well-stocked and the guys working there did great work for impossibly-low labor prices.

Not for profit? Break even only? Some sort of tax break?

RacerJRP
07-28-2015, 12:58 PM
As has been said Luke and Co. @ Shirks are great folks. Some of the nicest folks I get to do business with.

And when I lived in the Philly area I remember seeing a lot of fast dudes wearing their kits at the races too.

peanutgallery
07-28-2015, 01:55 PM
They only buy closeouts from the distributor for cash. Probably also focus on places that are on the skids and/or going out of business, too. Really low overhead and labor cost (Family), the decor is that of a greasy garage. You can still spend lots of money on high end stuff, don't worry. Drawers full of anything you can imagine low end to high end. Place is always crazy busy. As a former shop owner you'd probably get a kick out of it, be worth the $100 to tool out East in your TDI wagon

Funniest thing is that if they work on your bike you'll find it out on a rack in the yard when you pick it up. Nothing is a precious flower the these guys, kinda funny

Not for profit? Break even only? Some sort of tax break?

palincss
07-28-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd expect that any place where Mennonites and Amish who use bicycles for transportation (there are for sure some Amish who don't allow themselves bicycles, but use big wheeled scooters instead) there will be Mennonite and Amish bicycle shops catering to the local community to provide and service that fleet. I know there's one in the Mennonite area in Loveville, MD (near Leonardtown), I've ridden past their sign a number of times.

johnniecakes
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM
They only buy closeouts from the distributor for cash. Probably also focus on places that are on the skids and/or going out of business, too. Really low overhead and labor cost (Family), the decor is that of a greasy garage. You can still spend lots of money on high end stuff, don't worry. Drawers full of anything you can imagine low end to high end. Place is always crazy busy. As a former shop owner you'd probably get a kick out of it, be worth the $100 to tool out East in your TDI wagon

Funniest thing is that if they work on your bike you'll find it out on a rack in the yard when you pick it up. Nothing is a precious flower the these guys, kinda funny

Today I could walk into Shirk's and buy a 2015 Trek of any variety, he has at least 4 Lynskeys hanging from the ceiling, a few Gunnars, a couple of Merckx's. Hardly closeouts since the inventory is never the same

peanutgallery
07-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Yep

He has some new stuff but they're the king of 2 to 3 year old cannondales. Never been to shirks

jemoryl
07-28-2015, 03:19 PM
A few years ago, I was riding on a road between Seneca and Keuka Lakes in the Finger Lakes, where there are also numerous Mennonite farms. At one point I see a lad riding towards me, probably late teens, on a decent road bike but wearing the typical white shirt and black pants of the Mennonites (no helmet, and I didn't notice the shoes). We nod and go on our way. About three hours later, on a different road, I see the same guy going in the opposite direction, and clearly he's put in some good miles. Would be interesting to hear his story.

dcama5
07-28-2015, 03:36 PM
This is a pic I took when my wife and I rode the Lancaster Covered Bridge metric century route back in late June. We also visited Gettysburg at that time and I posted some pics across the hall but didn't post this one from Lancaster county. I suppose this shop was just a general repair shop for the regular bikes that the Amish ride around on. I didn't see any logos for any bike brands.