PDA

View Full Version : Who rides an aluminium Zanc?

phcollard
07-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Enough with steel, alloy is the new real! :banana:

I know Mike Z started welding aluminium not so long ago so I cannot find any user report. If you ride an aluminium Zanc please post your impressions here. How does it compare with your other rides? Bonus points for pictures!

Cheers,

Philippe.

FlashUNC
07-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Paging Ryun...

yashcha
07-27-2015, 08:01 PM
I will report in 3 weeks time when I build it up.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/yashcha/image.jpg1_zpsle5x2935.jpg

AngryScientist
07-27-2015, 08:03 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=156802&highlight=zanconato

vav
07-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Zanc himself ;)

beeatnik
07-27-2015, 08:50 PM
do want

StephenCL
07-27-2015, 10:46 PM
I do. I think I was alu frame number 1 or 2...

I have a few hundred miles on it now, so I can give you some riding impressions...

1) its light...how light? Full bike is 15.4 lbs...frameset with tapered fork is crazy light...
2) its stiff in all the right places... My team mates tell me that when I step on the gas it is a rocketship. It has very direct power transfer. No chain rub, no real deflection.
3) it feels very nimble, of course Mike has my geo nailed, but this bike feels like it is on rails...
4) it chatters a bit....the back end is very tight and light, it can have a tendency to chatter a bit over uneven terrain...its both a good and bad thing..
5) its stiff...oh I said that... Perfect for crits, road races etc....not sure I would want to do paris breast paris on it...

The carbon bars certainly take out a fair amount of the buzz, the bike is a rocket ship...not made to go slow... i love it!

phcollard
07-28-2015, 08:45 AM
I do. I think I was alu frame number 1 or 2...

I have a few hundred miles on it now, so I can give you some riding impressions...

1) its light...how light? Full bike is 15.4 lbs...frameset with tapered fork is crazy light...
2) its stiff in all the right places... My team mates tell me that when I step on the gas it is a rocketship. It has very direct power transfer. No chain rub, no real deflection.
3) it feels very nimble, of course Mike has my geo nailed, but this bike feels like it is on rails...
4) it chatters a bit....the back end is very tight and light, it can have a tendency to chatter a bit over uneven terrain...its both a good and bad thing..
5) its stiff...oh I said that... Perfect for crits, road races etc....not sure I would want to do paris breast paris on it...

The carbon bars certainly take out a fair amount of the buzz, the bike is a rocket ship...not made to go slow... i love it!

Thanks a lot Stephen, much appreciated to have your feedback!

I'm tempted. Just a bit worried by the lack of comfort.

dave thompson
07-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Aluminum frames can be made as comfortable or stiff as you want. I've had two alu bikes, one production and one a custom that were/are terrific all-day rides. I'm sure Zank can make one just for you!

phcollard
07-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Aluminum frames can be made as comfortable or stiff as you want. I've had two alu bikes, one production and one a custom that were/are terrific all-day rides. I'm sure Zank can make one just for you!

I'm sure he can Dave. Pricing isn't too bad, but I just checked the exchange rate... Damn... You guys could buy the whole Canada now! 1900 USD = 2470 CAD! :eek::eek:

MadRocketSci
07-28-2015, 10:33 AM

word. Peg 8:30AM rider here. just don't add the constraint to make the bike as light as possible and you'll get the comfort.

FlashUNC
07-28-2015, 10:34 AM
My Lobster is super comfortable for long day rides. I'll second what MadRocketSci says. Big alu tubes don't mean "beat you to death" anymore.

keppler
07-28-2015, 10:39 AM
I'm sure he can Dave. Pricing isn't too bad, but I just checked the exchange rate... Damn... You guys could buy the whole Canada now! 1900 USD = 2470 CAD! :eek::eek:

Very nice frame. Where did you get that USD price? Is it on the Zanc website? Just saw the Cdn dollar to US at .77 cents!!! Terrible. I remember in 2008 when it was over $1.

phcollard
07-28-2015, 11:01 AM
word. Peg 8:30AM rider here. just don't add the constraint to make the bike as light as possible and you'll get the comfort.

I still kick myself for not getting a 8:30AM that was exactly my size a couple years ago. It stayed for a few days in the classifieds, it was beautiful, still I waited too long when I should have jumped on it.

phcollard
07-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Very nice frame. Where did you get that USD price? Is it on the Zanc website? Just saw the Cdn dollar to US at .77 cents!!! Terrible. I remember in 2008 when it was over $1.

Yes pricing is on the website : http://cycling.zanconato.com/bicycles/road/

"Welded Aluminum Powder Coat $1850. A welded frameset with the powder coat option includes a stock finish Enve 1.0 Road fork."

That's an excellent price for a full custom frameset, with Enve fork, if you ask me.

I wish we were still in 2008 when we had parity! Now everything that comes from the USA is quite expensive for us up north.

dave thompson
07-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Yes pricing is on the website : http://cycling.zanconato.com/bicycles/road/

"Welded Aluminum Powder Coat $1850 A welded frameset with the powder coat option includes a stock finish Enve 1.0 Road fork."

That's an excellent price for a full custom frameset, with Enve fork, if you ask me.

I wish we were still in 2008 when we had parity! Now everything that comes from the USA is quite expensive for us up north.

That's $30,118.16 Pesos at today's exchange rate!

sparky33
07-28-2015, 01:42 PM

It is a terrific deal.
The real bonus IMO is that you get to work with Mike. His work is incredibly well done with every detail as it should be. Can't say enough good things about him.
....yes, I am also queued up for an aluminum Z.

sweet_johnny
07-28-2015, 02:38 PM
I rode with Zank on Sunday and he was rocking his aluminum bike with di2 and discs.

tv_vt
07-28-2015, 02:44 PM
^^I was with you until the last two words...:crap:

Sorry, I'm a Luddite. I just think discs are ugly on a road bike.

Still, an aluminum Zanc could be really fun.

Climb01742
07-28-2015, 04:27 PM
It is a terrific deal.
The real bonus IMO is that you get to work with Mike. His work is incredibly well done with every detail as it should be. Can't say enough good things about him.
....yes, I am also queued up for an aluminum Z.

Any idea what Mike's lead time is these days?

sparky33
07-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Any idea what Mike's lead time is these days?

Several months? Probably best to email him.

etu
07-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's your experience with aluminum bikes? I know a common view on the forum is that all material can be manipulated to give varying ride qualities but imo there are undeniable tendencies for each. In my limited experience with a caad 8, the ride is fantastic for hard efforts and when you're feeling strong. It's like the bike's on caffeine. Downside is most noticeable at the latter part of the ride when I'm cooked. The term "chatter" sums it perfectly. I am sure a good builder like Zanc can modulate to your preferences, but not sure you want to take the chatter out of the ride.

old fat man
07-28-2015, 07:35 PM
I have over 1000 miles on my aluminum Zank cx bike. Mike delivered it in the fall of 2014 for cx season and I raced it half a dozen times as a sscx, then put gears on it this spring for trail rides and road training.

1. I've owned a lugged steel road Zank and currently own a tig'd road Zank with carbon fork
2. The aluminum Zank is every bit as snappy as my Cannondale CAAD9 though a few pounds heavier thanks to lower end parts, disc brakes, and the sliding dropouts
3. The aluminum Zank is more comfortable for long rides than the CAAD9 and only a touch less comfy than my tig'd steel Zank road bike. I have no qualms about pounding out 5+ hours in the saddle on the aluminum bike, including off road rides like my Ronde Rosey
4. I am very strongly considering selling the CAAD9 and the tig'd road bike and replacing with an aluminum Zank road bike.

Here are some recent pictures while I am riding the aluminum Zank in 1x11 road configuration this week.
https://instagram.com/p/5ozcpBrhf6/?taken-by=roseyscot
https://instagram.com/p/5rcLRsLhfh/?taken-by=roseyscot

You cannot go wrong for the price, especially if you want custom geometry or features you can't get from a stock bike. Plus as Sandy said, working with Mike is the best part

summilux
07-28-2015, 08:14 PM
I just checked the exchange rate... Damn... You guys could buy the whole Canada now! 1900 USD = 2470 CAD! :eek::eek:

You are thinking about this the wrong way. Cdn dollar falling means that the bikes you have are now worth a whole lot more. A $1000 USD frame that was worth $1100 Cdn last year is now worth at least $1300 Cdn. You should really celebrate.

Ryun
07-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Somehow I missed this thread...

just to add what others have said...
My aluminum zank rides fantastically. It built up light and is very comfortable.
Less chattery than my corsa but I am pretty sure my chainstays are a touch longer based on tire clearance. Lots of shaping to the tubeset and noticeably smaller diameter than other bikes I have seen.
I have a couple UOS steel bikes that are stiffer and less comfortable.

One of the biggest pluses for me was the use of a threaded bb. No pf30 creak.

I have a few bikes from Mike and the handling is really dialed in and he is a pleasure to work with. I asked for a race bike with clearance for 25 tires and it has certainly held up to that. For the US dollar, I don't know if there is a better deal around right now.