PDA

View Full Version : Compact crank-set on Scott...

catulle
05-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Today I saw a Scott bike fully painted for war. It even had one of those carbon saddles. It was very light. The man at the lbs told me it belonged to someone who I should know according to the way he said his name. The owner rode that same Scott on the Tour of Georgia. It had Fulcrum 1 wheels, Conti 4000 tires, and Record components. But it surprised me to see that it had a Record compact crank-set. Am I wrong to be surprised? I mean, if you ride the TOG, and you're a name I should know, wouldn't you want to go down fast as well as climb fast, atmo? I know I'm ignorant, but am I also wrong in this case, atmo?

jerk
05-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Today I saw a Scott bike fully painted for war. It even had one of those carbon saddles. It was very light. The man at the lbs told me it belonged to someone who I should know according to the way he said his name. The owner rode that same Scott on the Tour of Georgia. It had Fulcrum 1 wheels, Conti 4000 tires, and Record components. But it surprised me to see that it had a Record compact crank-set. Am I wrong to be surprised? I mean, if you ride the TOG, and you're a name I should know, wouldn't you want to go down fast as well as climb fast, atmo? I know I'm ignorant, but am I also wrong in this case, atmo?

yes you are wrong. but not ignorant. in fact you are fairly open minded, well read and quick witted from what the jerk can tell....but he dgiresses. a 50x11 is plenty big enough to go down hill really fast (a bit bigger than a 53x12). compact gearing used to be called "alpine gearing" and it's great for going up really steep mountains and then down them again. what it really sucks for is riding on the flats...the middle is gone or you end up shifting between chainrings and riding in crossover gears and awful lot.

compact gearing makes alot of sense for pack fodder and big guys when stage races enter the mountains and you only care about making the time cut.

imho bro yo cheers,
jerk

catulle
05-04-2006, 09:32 PM
yes you are wrong. but not ignorant. in fact you are fairly open minded, well read and quick witted from what the jerk can tell....but he dgiresses. a 50x11 is plenty big enough to go down hill really fast (a bit bigger than a 53x12). compact gearing used to be called "alpine gearing" and it's great for going up really steep mountains and then down them again. what it really sucks for is riding on the flats...the middle is gone or you end up shifting between chainrings and riding in crossover gears and awful lot.

compact gearing makes alot of sense for pack fodder and big guys when stage races enter the mountains and you only care about making the time cut.

imho bro yo cheers,
jerk

Yo, dude, it's me, you got the wrong citizen; I can write but I can't read, iirc. Hey, thank you for the circle of light, atmo.

Marcusaurelius
05-04-2006, 09:44 PM

I found compact cranks to be of very limited use. The 34/36 is way too small for me to use. I've never had any problem climbing with a 39 tooth chainring. The 50 tooth is alright but I've never had a problem turning over a 53 tooth chainring. I found a 50 tooth chainring a little small on a road racing bike. I have 50-30-20 crank on my sport touring bike but I doubt I'd want a 50/34 on a road racing bike.

Ginger
05-04-2006, 09:52 PM
but what's your cadence?

H1449-6
05-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Good thread. Broader question: I am sort of fat and out of shape. I ride both flat (along the Arkansas River) and hilly (everything else where I live). Current setup is 53/39 and 12-23 (which has to change; I need easier low gearing). Typical flat cadence is 80-90 at about 18-19 mph. I really suck at the hills (4-9% grade is typical).

I'm ready to equip a new bike. Any suggestions on how I should decide on how to gear it? Compact or regular crank? Gearing for rear cluster?

Thanks.

SoCalSteve
05-04-2006, 10:53 PM
who thinks a triple is the logical set up for most people instead of a compact?

What is wrong with a triple? Weight? What's a few ounces more? Doesnt shift as well? Not true! A well set up triple shifts just as well as any double?

I just dont get it, I guess....because Tyler Hamilton rode a compact when he had a broken bone in the TdF, that makes it right for everyone else???

Ok, Im getting off my soap box now. (btw, its a triple box).

Steve

PS: The Jerk's explanation should clear up a great deal of misunderstandings. It should be in the "Big Book" under: why not to use compact gearing.

sg8357
05-04-2006, 11:35 PM
who thinks a triple is the logical set up for most people instead of a compact?

I pick the third option, compact triple, 48/36/24 with a tight cassette.
The 24 is the OS/wall gear.
Old timey long distance bikes used a 46/31 up front, Fausto rode a 50/14 top gear, so we have progressed back to the future.
Scott G.

Climb01742
05-05-2006, 04:43 AM
it all depends on your terrain and riding style. there are no mountains here, so i too find a 34 useless for flats and small rollers (heck, even a 39 is a bit small, so i'm looking forward to experimenting with a 42/53 upfront.) but i'm in the midst of setting up a bike for mt washington and a trip to italy (where i'll do some mountain training in the dolomites.) i'll run a 34 to see if that's small enuf (mated to a campy 29 in the back). but half of the time in italy we'll be in tuscany where a 34 will, i think, be basically useless. so i'll have, essentially, one chainring...which one, then? with a 12-29 in the back, i'll go for a 48 upfront, which should, i hope/think, be cool for an all-purpose chainring. a long-winded way of saying, when it comes to gearing...it all depends...

in this year's giro, on the stage to that dirt road ski station finish, where disco will be riding a 33-28, what big chain ring will they be riding? since they, too, i'm guessing, will find a 33 useless for 99% of the stage. leaving them 1 useable ring for 99% of the stage.

Sandy
05-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Try climbing the Washington Monument in a 39, 36, 34, or even a 33. It ain't easy. :)

George

Too Tall
05-05-2006, 06:07 AM
110 bcd permits the wrenches to swap chainrings without changing cranks and BBs.

ClutchCargo
05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=SoCalSteve]who thinks a triple is the logical set up for most people instead of a compact?

What is wrong with a triple?
QUOTE]

Well, it's obvious, idn't it? ...

(A) A triple chainring on your bike will brand you as a weenie or a geezer, or both.

(B) No less a stud than Tyler H. rode a compact in no less a race than "Le Tour". (And see reports of Cunego testing a compact while pre-riding this year's Giro mountain stages.) If the pros do it, it's ok for you, too.

So you put that compact crankset on and the casual observer sees the usual two chainrings. And you are still cool. :rolleyes:

QED, my man.

flydhest
05-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Climb,

Why will a 34 be useless in Tuscany? Lots of nice long climbs to villages on top of hills (can I get a shout out to Volterra?) I spent a lot of time in my 39 and probably the 23, so being in your 34-15 (I didn't do the math, so forgive me if I'm off) doesn't seem like a nutty thing. A 50 up front sounds like a good thing. If you're alone, cruising along in the low 20s, a 50-14 sounds good. So, put on a 12-25 and you're set.

What's not to love?

SoCalSteve
05-05-2006, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=SoCalSteve]who thinks a triple is the logical set up for most people instead of a compact?

What is wrong with a triple?
QUOTE]

Well, it's obvious, idn't it? ...

(A) A triple chainring on your bike will brand you as a weenie or a geezer, or both.
(B) No less a stud than Tyler H. rode a compact in no less a race than "Le Tour". (And see reports of Cunego testing a compact while pre-riding this year's Giro mountain stages.) If the pros do it, it's ok for you, too.

So you put that compact crankset on and the casual observer sees the usual two chainrings. And you are still cool. :rolleyes:

QED, my man.

I ride for myself and at my capabilities. I couldnt care what other people think of me. And, if I did care, then that would penalize me from using all the gears that I like to use.

As the Jerk so aptly put it, compacts work great for going up and going down. Well, much of my early base training is done on flats and I work on cadence a great deal as well. I love having as many choices as I need to fulfill my training goals. A compact would not give me all the choices I need.

Pro's also throw their water bottles off to the side of the road after they take a few swigs. Should I be doing that too?

Steve

flydhest
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
steve,
I think he was being ironic.

ClutchCargo
05-05-2006, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=ClutchCargo]

Pro's also throw their water bottles off to the side of the road after they take a few swigs. Should I be doing that too?

Steve

I didn't mean "you" personally. I would bet that many bike fans and other hoi polloi first found out about compact cranksets as a result of Tyler's escapades following his cracked collarbone; the popularity of compacts has since exploded. and I bet lots of riders who were finding the traditional 53-39 setup a strain have been attracted by getting their easier gearing without the "stigma" that some would attach to a triple setup.

again, nothin' personal. it's all good, man! :)

SoCalSteve
05-05-2006, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=SoCalSteve]

I didn't mean "you" personally. I would bet that many bike fans and other hoi polloi first found out about compact cranksets as a result of Tyler's escapades following his cracked collarbone; the popularity of compacts has since exploded. and I bet lots of riders who were finding the traditional 53-39 setup a strain have been attracted by getting their easier gearing without the "stigma" that some would attach to a triple setup.

again, nothin' personal. it's all good, man! :)

Not taken personally! It is all good!

As for popularity...Just cuz its popular, does not make it right nor good.

Many, many examples of that in life.

Steve

PS: I'm just curious what the "stigma" is about having a triple on your bike. Please tell me. Thanks.