PDA

View Full Version : Selle Anatomic preference

stephenmarklay
07-26-2015, 05:25 PM
I have the NSX no cut out but I am getting another and wondered if those with both styles have a preference.

Does the cutout cause too much give/bounce for really fast riding, does it sag too much, does it actually do anything other than a cool breeze?

dcama5
07-26-2015, 05:41 PM
I have two Selle Anatomica X-series saddles. They work well for me and I do not notice any difference from a saddle without the cutout except less pressure in the middle section. Forget about the "cool breeze" thing though. That never happened for me. I should say though, I never do any "really fast" riding.

Daveyk
07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
I have one of each and prefer the no-cutout NSX. Could be the way it have it set up but it feels 'springier' and slides forward and back easier when shifting position.

geeter
07-26-2015, 08:49 PM
I have two titanicos without the cut on my go fast bikes and love them. I almost have given up Brooks for them. I have wide hips and they are the few I can say are not hatchets.

stephenmarklay
07-26-2015, 09:25 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I think I will go sans cutout again. I rode 100 miles yesterday in a Gran Fondo and my butt was very happy. Part of it is I have dialed my for/aft fit etc but a lot of it is the saddle. I have narrow hips and muscular thighs and could hope for a little less width but at this point its the best thing going.

It looks silly on my new race bike but the difference between really being able to hammer and late in a long race is comfort (for me anyway).

stuckey
07-26-2015, 09:27 PM
What do you consider fast? I use them on my road bikes.

stephenmarklay
07-26-2015, 10:10 PM
What do you consider fast? I use them on my road bikes.

Well that is a relative question :) I put it on my race bike and yesterday did a 4:35 century. So to me that was pretty fast. Not blazing but you get the idea. Not sitting up at 16mph all day.

This was a picture in the early part of the day all comfy with my Selle.

stuckey
07-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Well that is a relative question :) I put it on my race bike and yesterday did a 4:35 century. So to me that was pretty fast. Not blazing but you get the idea. Not sitting up at 16mph all day.

This was a picture in the early part of the day all comfy with my Selle.

I think you would like the cut out, I have done some fast 12hr and non drafting centuries on mine. After about 6cm of drop I get bad thigh rubbing.

stephenmarklay
07-26-2015, 10:52 PM
I think you would like the cut out, I have done some fast 12hr and non drafting centuries on mine. After about 6cm of drop I get bad thigh rubbing.

Thank you Stuckey. I have been tempted. I don’t run a huge drop (my stem is not slammed) so it might work.

Ralph
07-27-2015, 06:16 AM
I bought three of them last year. All with cut out, after trying one without. Sold all three, they were too wide for me. Wore out the inside thigh area of my shorts. Had to take up slack after almost every ride.

Otherwise very comfortable. If they fit you, and you don't mind constantly tightening them up, they are "comfortable" saddles. I would get cutout. Why not?