PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Geoff
05-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I am in the market for some new tires. I have been riding pro race fro about 5 years and like them but am concidering the new Contis GP 4000. Has anyone used these? good bad other?

Thanks for the input.

G

Bill Bove
05-04-2006, 02:06 PM
If you've been happy with the Pro Race's you should try the Pro Race2. I have used the GP4K and they are pretty good. Right now I'm really liking the MAXXIS Coucrhevel 3C. Light,low rolling resistance, puncture resistant, nice round profile, very happy with them.

Bradford
05-04-2006, 02:08 PM
I have been using GP 3000's for years. When I need a new pair last time, I couldn't find any in 700x25, so I went with TriComps. After about 1,000 miles of being unhappy on the Vreds, I finally put some new GP 4000s on today and am happy once again.

The 4000's seem to feel about the same as the old 3000's, but since I had the other tires on in between, I can't compare them directly. What I can say is that I love Contis and am thrilled to have them back on my bike. :banana:

The only complaint I had about the 3000's was that they wore quickly, but my undertanding is the the new model fixed that.

wasfast
05-04-2006, 02:10 PM
The GP4k's are worth looking into. I used one set of Pro Races and hated the swooshy sound they make when you're sprinting/standing on a climb.

My personal favorite (with qualifiers) is the Veloflex Pave'. 180 gram tire, very sticky and great feel. Handle terrific.

Downside: they cut easily. I've yet to wear one out before the cuts force the tire beyond use. I've put boots inside several rear tires. Been using them for nearly 2 years and just bought 2 more. Wise cycle buys has black/black for $39.95 which is a great price. Colors are $5.00 more.

alancw3
05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
i have been using a set of the contis gp4000 on my six13 for a couple of weeks now. no complaints and are very easy to install without tools. they seem to ride better than the specialized team i use on another bike. i think in either the new nashbar or performance catelog i got a couple of days ago they were on sale.

ERDR
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
i have about 300 miles on a new set of GP 4000's and like their feel. i got over 3000 miles out of my michelins and liked those alot too. never was fond of my vreds.
i hated the way the previous contis always had those side wall threads unravelling. i don't foresee that as an issue with the 4000's.
so far, 2 thumbs up for the conti 4000's.
s.