PDA

View Full Version : Charlottesville VA or Chapel Hill NC?

rsl
05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
It's been a rather slow day at work, and I've been looking into the various places to which I'll be applying to graduate school this coming fall.

Both University of Virginia in Charlottesville and University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill top the list.

Does anyone know anything about cycling in either of these towns?

If you want to throw in any other OT information about either of these towns, that would be helpful too.

thanks!

terrytnt
05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
My son is at Univ Richmond (Sophmore), and this year started the Richmond cycling club(Spiders). He says he would like to get his graduate degree at Charlottesville VA... why you ask, because the cycling and college cycle club up there is soooooo good. Been racing this year and has a lot of respect for the UVA team. Can't speak for Chapel Hill but can say Charlotteville is incredibly beautiful!

hope this helps...

sc53
05-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I went to law school in Charlottesville (that was 20 yrs ago now....) and the terrain and routes around the town and Albemarle and neighboring counties are just gorgeous--very hilly too. At the time, C'ville was not as heavily trafficked as it is now and I was a distance runner not a cyclist, but the routes I trained on would also have made lovely rides out country roads up toward Monticello, Scottsville, Ivy etc. But as I mentioned, there's been a lot of development around C'ville in the last 20 yrs so some of the quiet country lanes may not be so quiet anymore. There's a couple of good running and biking shops in town that will have more up to date information.
Anyway, I'd pick UVa over Carolina for grad studies any day!!!

znfdl
05-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Both areas have very good cycling. Charlottesville has more hills, whereas Chapel Hill has more long grades. I went to graduate school in Durham NC and loved the cycling in the area. I do not think that you can go wrong with either choice.

Personally, I would go to the program which is ranked higher or offered me the most money.

rsl
05-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Both areas have very good cycling. Charlottesville has more hills, whereas Chapel Hill has more long grades. I went to graduate school in Durham NC and loved the cycling in the area. I do not think that you can go wrong with either choice.

Personally, I would go to the program which is ranked higher or offered me the most money.

Nice - I like the sounds of a win-win situation. I won't choose the program based on my cycling options, but it's definitely a quality of life issue to throw into the decision making process.

Thanks so far for the advice - more opinions welcome :)

kestrel
05-04-2006, 03:47 PM

+1 :beer:

Rapid Tourist
05-04-2006, 06:55 PM
I went to undergrad in charlottesville and I can honestly say that if you go there you will never regret it, even for a second. Its beautiful and plenty of cultural stuff to do and the people are great. Live music scene is terrific too. I'd love to retire there.

Never lived in Chapel Hill so I can't compare.

I wasn't a cyclist in my beer guzzling C-ville days, but you'll be in great shape if you ride there. :D Its quite hilly.

rnhood
05-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Another vote for Charlottesville. There is more to do and see at your fingertips around Charlottesville. Chapel Hill is incredibly congested - and boringly flat. But still very pretty and serene through the countryside. Both are great cities located in great states that have great colleges. You will likely be happy in either place. Being from VA, I prefer VA.