PDA

View Full Version : Pacenti SL23 V2 Vs. Stan's Alpha 400

YesNdeed
07-24-2015, 08:12 PM
All,

New member here, first post. I couldn't find anything specific on these two hoop sets, my apologies if I missed a thread.

More to the point, these are the two I'm considering for training, crit, cross, gravel grind wheels, mated to a Powertap G3 rear hub, and Cycleops front hub. The aforementioned hubs are currently on Enve Classic 45s, as was part of a package deal I bought in late 2013. I've been thinking of re-appropriating them for a while, and building the Enves into race day nasties. After blowing two spokes yesterday, maybe now is the time.

So, Pacenti SL23 version 2 Vs. Stan's Alpha 400...any experience with both, either, or some rim I'm missing that you think will blow my mind, input is appreciated.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 08:41 PM
All,

New member here, first post. I couldn't find anything specific on these two hoop sets, my apologies if I missed a thread.

More to the point, these are the two I'm considering for training, crit, cross, gravel grind wheels, mated to a Powertap G3 rear hub, and Cycleops front hub. The aforementioned hubs are currently on Enve Classic 45s, as was part of a package deal I bought in late 2013. I've been thinking of re-appropriating them for a while, and building the Enves into race day nasties. After blowing two spokes yesterday, maybe now is the time.

So, Pacenti SL23 version 2 Vs. Stan's Alpha 400...any experience with both, either, or some rim I'm missing that you think will blow my mind, input is appreciated.

Pacenti, or H+Son Archtypes. Not stans, built enough of those to, IMHO, to rec. stay away.

CMiller
07-24-2015, 09:02 PM
I'd steer away from the Alpha 400 and throw the Stans Grail into the mix. I built a wheel recently with it and all went well, rolls great and is nice and wide.

The new addition of the Pacenti SL23 is great though.

YesNdeed
07-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Thanks. The more to consider, the better.

phutterman
07-25-2015, 02:23 AM
I've been a pretty big fan of the Pacentis. Mine are laced to a WI front and older Powertap rear. They're light, look good, are easy to build, and I've found mounting tires easy enough despite the tubeless profile.

I did manage to put a pretty significant ding in my front rim, though, which has given me some pause as to their strength. That said, it was from hitting either a significant pothole or set of railroad tracks (in quick succession, rather ungracefully, and at speed), so I can't fault it too much.

For comparison with other similar rims, I've dented the hell out of a set of A23s, and so far not damaged a set of Archetypes, but also not necessarily subjected them to quite as much abuse. I am fairly light (145lbs) and not all that ham-fisted with my handling.

notoriousdjw
07-25-2015, 01:53 PM
One major difference is the welded seam on the Pacentis which will make your braking smoother. Stans are pinned so you can sometimes get a pulse every time you cross the seam while braking. Another difference is that Kirk is active on this forum (and others) and seems very responsive to any questions or concerns. I'll probably use the SL23 or SL25 for my next build.

With that said I have several thousand miles on a couple sets of Alpha 400 rims. One set is laced to R45 hubs and the other are on my cross bike with Hope Pro 2 hubs. Both have been trouble free.

YesNdeed
07-26-2015, 12:29 AM
A pulse in the braking surface goes against the grain of this former, professional craftsman. I think I have my decision. Thanks for all the insightful feedback.

While I've all but decided on the SL23s, I haven't really considered the SL25s. Any experience on those, and the expected quality difference between the two?

notoriousdjw
07-26-2015, 12:44 AM
SL25s are disc only and do not have a rim brake track.

YesNdeed
07-26-2015, 01:03 AM
Ha! I suspected I was missing an obvious detail.

saab2000
07-26-2015, 04:05 AM
Ha! I suspected I was missing an obvious detail.

SL23 and SL25 are nearly identical but as noted, the SL25 is a disc-only rim.

I had Stan's Iron Cross rims on my gravel bike and after a few hard rides I had a couple spokes loosen up. I was told this was because the rim was light enough that under inflation pressure it would compress enough that the spokes were no longer under enough tension and a couple of them unwound a bit.

They were rebuilt with SL25s and so far they look great.

YesNdeed
07-27-2015, 09:50 AM
At the rate it rains in New Mexico, I think I can stave off the temptation to switch my lineup to discs for a long time. So, Pacenti looks like my best bet, and SL23 it is. Discs would be nice for cross though. Hell, it's taken me this long to go tubeless.

Then there are tires. I like 25s for training and general riding. Some of the dirt roadies around here swear by their 28s-great for go-fast dirt secteurs, so I'll consider them. But being that bulbous I have to wonder about fast, paved cornering, and rolling resistance, so keeping it at 25 might be best for me. I am, after all, roadie first. But as far as tubeless, not sure which of the few to really consider.

denapista
07-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Fairwheel Bikes advised me to go with the new line of Kinlin Wide rims and I haven't been happier. I'm running the XR22T (22mm height / 25mm width). LOVE THEM! By far the best set of clinchers I've run. I used to ride Pacenti SL23's and I'd rate the Kinlin rims up there. Give them a look. They make the same model in a 30mm height.

StanleySteamer
07-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Any other feedback on the Kinlin wide rims, I was under the impression that they were a step below the Pacenti and Hed rims.