PDA

View Full Version : On Topic: I'm an Idiot

2LeftCleats
07-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Near the finish of yesterday's ride I took a shortcut down Friendship Road. It's gravel and despite the name, it's difficult on skinny tires. Around the bend I realized the last quarter mile was flooded. Yeah, I could have turned around, but--and there's no way to polish this turd--I chose to plow through. Didn't look that deep but eventually it was to my knees. Wading in cleats on a submerged gravel road didn't offer enough stability for me to carry the bike over my head, so the water ended up over the hubs, bottom bracket, and pedals.

Once home I removed tubes and tires. I have HED Belgium wheels and it's amazing how much water the channels hold! Used the air compressor to blow those out and set them so any remainder will drain. removed the QR's, dried and lubed them. Blew out the hubs best I could. Removed BB and drained the titanium tubes. Took apart the cassette, blew dry the FD and RD, pedals, chain. Brakes weren't submerged but blew them out too. Relubed everything. Took off the water bottle holders. May have to recable the FD and RD. Haven't yet removed the freehub to lube the pawls but will do so.

Everything looks ok but my concern is the BB bearings (Shimano DA7800) and the bearings for the hubs and freehub (Alchemy). Will those cartridge bearings hold up to this sort of punishment? Just lube and ride til they squeak?

weisan
07-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Preparation for next year Dirty Kanza 200.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Near the finish of yesterday's ride I took a shortcut down Friendship Road. It's gravel and despite the name, it's difficult on skinny tires. Around the bend I realized the last quarter mile was flooded. Yeah, I could have turned around, but--and there's no way to polish this turd--I chose to plow through. Didn't look that deep but eventually it was to my knees. Wading in cleats on a submerged gravel road didn't offer enough stability for me to carry the bike over my head, so the water ended up over the hubs, bottom bracket, and pedals.

Once home I removed tubes and tires. I have HED Belgium wheels and it's amazing how much water the channels hold! Used the air compressor to blow those out and set them so any remainder will drain. removed the QR's, dried and lubed them. Blew out the hubs best I could. Removed BB and drained the titanium tubes. Took apart the cassette, blew dry the FD and RD, pedals, chain. Brakes weren't submerged but blew them out too. Relubed everything. Took off the water bottle holders. May have to recable the FD and RD. Haven't yet removed the freehub to lube the pawls but will do so.

Everything looks ok but my concern is the BB bearings (Shimano DA7800) and the bearings for the hubs and freehub (Alchemy). Will those cartridge bearings hold up to this sort of punishment? Just lube and ride til they squeak?

You can take the seals off the hub bearings, clean out and grease in there, seals back on, even the freehub bearings although kinda a chore. No way to do that with shimano unless you have something like a Phil tool kit to get the plastic cap off w/o breaking it and then service the bearings.

Don't forget the pedals.

zap
07-24-2015, 08:57 AM
I made the same mistake once. Oh, that doesn't look so deep, feet will get wet but no big deal.

I went for it and kept going down all the way to the top headset :eek: My cycling mates turned around.

Years later I took the bike apart and the Shimano DA bb was spotless. I think riding on wet roads with all that grit is worse than going through a creek.

ANAO
07-24-2015, 11:41 AM
I made the same mistake once. Oh, that doesn't look so deep, feet will get wet but no big deal.

I went for it and kept going down all the way to the top headset :eek: My cycling mates turned around.

Years later I took the bike apart and the Shimano DA bb was spotless. I think riding on wet roads with all that grit is worse than going through a creek.

I would guess this is true too.

zennmotion
07-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Meh, this is a weekly event during CX season in some parts..., a brief submerging is nothing compared to a poorly aimed pressure washer in the CX pits. Sounds like you did what's reasonable and the rest should be fine. I dunno, maybe leave the bike in the back of a hot car parked in the sun for a few days, cook out any moisture from the bearings, I do this to "cure" rattlecan paint jobs, can't hurt. And in the future, aside from the bike hydration worries, submerged roads can be quite dangerous, in a car or a bike...:no:

2LeftCleats
07-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the input.

There was a truck at the opposite end of the water. Turns out the driver was trying to decide whether to try it. When he saw me slog through it, his choice became clear and backed up.

p nut
07-24-2015, 02:53 PM
What I got out of that is you had an awesome ride. I've had many awesome rides I'll remember for the rest of my life because I'm an "idiot turd."

:)