PDA

View Full Version : (Spoilers) TDF Stage 19 (Good stuff within. No Peeking!)

guido
07-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Another lovely day in the Alps!

It is raining hard as the boys work their way up the Col Du Chaussy to start a high action stage...

coffeecake
07-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Fireworks already! Looks like Team Sky is already losing a few of their lieutenants on this first climb... hopefully that will excite the GC battle.

guido
07-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Definitely exciting to see Contador, Valverde and Nibali all taking digs on the first climb of the day. This is what we had hoped to see in this Tour...

peanutgallery
07-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Wondering how long it would take the G Thomas farce to play out. Its begun

jr59
07-24-2015, 07:31 AM
Wondering how long it would take the G Thomas farce to play out. Its begun

Wow, tough crowd. G. Thomas rides in the front, he doping, he can't ride in the front on the first climb, he's doping.
Same way with R. Porte. Rides in front, he's doping, but no one says much when he cracks.

It's a tough world out here in fan world.

coffeecake
07-24-2015, 07:32 AM
Ok, looks like a flat section before the next climb. I hope the rival GC guys' teams keep the pressure on Sky... this is shaping up to be very eventful.

peanutgallery
07-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Don't be a precious flower, where did I say he was doping? My point is that he is not a 4th place rider in the Tour, wheels are bound to come off, he was yoyo-ing off the back on the first climb

Wow, tough crowd. G. Thomas rides in the front, he doping, he can't ride in the front on the first climb, he's doping.
Same way with R. Porte. Rides in front, he's doping, but no one says much when he cracks.

It's a tough world out here in fan world.

T.J.
07-24-2015, 08:36 AM
I would like to purpose that this thread and the thread for tomorrow's stage be dope free? No mention of the word and just enjoy the tour for what it is , entertaining :beer:

jr59
07-24-2015, 08:46 AM
I would like to purpose that this thread and the thread for tomorrow's stage be dope free? No mention of the word and just enjoy the tour for what it is , entertaining :beer:

IMO; It would be best for pro cycling to do the same. :bike:

phcollard
07-24-2015, 08:49 AM
Thomas is out. Froome is almost alone now... Go Nairo!!!

coffeecake
07-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Thomas is out. Froome is almost alone now... Go Nairo!!!

Froome's teammates are gone!! He's exposed. :eek:

coffeecake
07-24-2015, 09:01 AM
Froome's teammates are gone!! He's exposed. :eek:

Oops, looks like Poels is still there for Team Sky?

guido
07-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Froome looks a bit unsettled... This could be fun...

guido
07-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Froome has a mechanical...

phcollard
07-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Froome looks a bit unsettled... This could be fun...

I hope he cracks. That would make my day.

mgm777
Nibali attacks as Froome deals with a minor mechanical.

ik2280
i would like to purpose that this thread and the thread for tomorrow's stage be dope free? No mention of the word and just enjoy the tour for what it is , entertaining :beer:

+100,000

mgm777
07-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Phil does not like the Nibali attack..."not very sporting"....

phcollard
07-24-2015, 09:11 AM
Niboli attacks as Froome deals with a minor mechanical.

Nibali is on fire!

ik2280
07-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Nibali is on fire!

He's so far back in the GC race that I doubt Froome / Quintana are too concerned.

guido
Nibali has a nice gap as he nears the top...

jr59
Phil does not like the Niboli attack..."not very sporting"....

I thought that was a given. An unwritten rule. Although, didn't AC do it to Andy Sheclk (sp) a few years ago? Maybe the guys of today don't follow these unwritten rules these days.

roguedog
07-24-2015, 09:15 AM
+100,000

Does this mean I can't comment??? :eek::eek: <yes i'm a dope>

Seriously, rooting for Rolland.. go go go.

phcollard
07-24-2015, 09:18 AM
He's so far back in the GC race that I doubt Froome / Quintana are too concerned.

Of course. But I'm calling this style. Unlike that yellow machine stick.

roguedog
07-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Wow.. I think it's been like 18hrs since I've heard Sagan mentioned!

Also, kinda rooting for Valverde. Hoping he can podium for all the work and the interest he's provided these few weeks.

coffeecake
07-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Wow.. I think it's been like 18hrs since I've heard Sagan mentioned!

Ha. Looks like Sagan was in the move early on, but now is way out the back.

guido
07-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Rolland and Nibali pushing it to the edge on this descent. 50KM and two more climbs to go...

denapista
07-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Sagan isn't a climber... These are the Alps. No one has mentioned Greipel, Sagan, Farrar, Cav or Degenkolb for a reason. The green jersey battle is over and there are no more sprints until Paris. Those guys are just hanging off the back trying to make the time cut.

bikinchris
07-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Nibali should have shown more class. Did you see that old guy flip off Froome as he chased back?

roguedog
07-24-2015, 09:39 AM
Sagan isn't a climber... These are the Alps. No one has mentioned Greipel, Sagan, Farrar, Cav or Degenkolb for a reason. The green jersey battle is over and there are no more sprints until Paris. Those guys are just hanging off the back trying to make the time cut.

Yep. I get it.

phcollard
07-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Nibali should have shown more class. Did you see that old guy flip off Froome as he chased back?

Yeah. I'm guessing he's French :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohdaUqbUqfk

guido
07-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Rolland is still doing his part to make the Eurocar team attractive to sponsors...

rustychisel
07-24-2015, 09:42 AM

He wasn't the only one - there's a lot of animosity out there in spectator land, seemed like most of it was directed at Froome (who longwindedly was just described by Sherwen as being given the Swahili name 'spindly flapping bird who takes off' or something.

What's the Swahili for 'stick insect'?

jr59
07-24-2015, 09:51 AM
What's the Swahili for 'stick insect'?

IDK; TDF, winner?:banana::banana:

guido
07-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Bad time for a shifting issue for Bardet.

El Chaba
07-24-2015, 09:57 AM

...brought to you by SRAM....how shocking....

guido
07-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Froome dropped his chain earlier. Who makes his FD?

harlond
07-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I thought that was a given. An unwritten rule. Although, didn't AC do it to Andy Sheclk (sp) a few years ago? Maybe the guys of today don't follow these unwritten rules these days.No. Schleck attached first, AC countered, then Schleck dropped his chain. As Ryder said at the time, "if you draw your sword and drop it, you're dead."

peanutgallery
07-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Either that...or FSA electronic:)

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 10:02 AM

What a hoot, trying to adjust his front der with his heel. Descends on 39/11...

Ahhhhhh, I won't even say it.

enr1co
07-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Phil does not like the Nibali attack..."not very sporting"....

Hard to tell if Froome was having a mechanical or whether he is just riding his typical "looking at his stem constantly". Unless there was some distinct audible of a chain dropping or a crash, Nibali was already cocked to go at same time he perceived Froome possibly cracking.

No matter what slick graphic of the TV showing Nibali's "line of sight" to Froome, its anybodys guess.

FlashUNC
07-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Froome dropped his chain earlier. Who makes his FD?

Doesn't Froome use the extreme Osymmetric rings?

Every bike I've seen with those shifts like crap up front.

guido
07-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Doesn't Froome use the extreme Osymmetric rings?

Every bike I've seen with those shifts like crap up front.

Yes he does. (It is the excuse given for the fuzzy watt/kg figures being handed out by SKY)

guido
07-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Nibali's lead is up to 2'02"

guido
07-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Nibali is sitting 4th overall on the road...

Shortsocks
07-24-2015, 10:28 AM
One thing for sure. Nibali likes to put on a show. He's doing it. Love it.

coffeecake
07-24-2015, 10:41 AM
BOOM! Quintana puts in a few digs!

chengher87
07-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Finally!! The gap is growing a bit, but dang, I would have loved it if he attacked earlier.

phcollard
07-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Nairo goes for it!

I hope he drops Froome, even if he does not take enough time back that will show him...

Shortsocks
Go nairo!!!

retrofit
It's about time:banana:

jmal
07-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I've never raced road, so perhaps I don't know the etiquette, but I just don't understand not attacking because someone has a mechanical. Can you imagine the leader of a MTB race getting a flat and everyone waiting for him to get moving again? When I raced MTB and someone flatted or dropped a chain, I pushed on knowing that one more opponent was out. To me, it's all part of the game. If your equipment fails it might be over for you. That's the risk.

Shortsocks
07-24-2015, 10:47 AM
it's about time:banana:

+1,000,000

phcollard
07-24-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm happy for Nibali. He deserves it! :banana:

chengher87
07-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Holy crap! Can he extend it to a 30-40 second gap?! It's really starting to balloon after staying ~10 seconds for the majority of Quintana's attack.

Not that Nibali had to do much to make Vinokurov look like an idiot, but I still can't stop laughing that Vino decided to give Fuglsang the leadership. Fuglsang and Nibbles are pals and it wouldn't surprise me if Fuglsang "blew up" on purpose that day to shut Vino's mouth.

Chapeau to the Shark!

bikinchris
07-24-2015, 10:50 AM
I've never raced road, so perhaps I don't know the etiquette, but I just don't understand not attacking because someone has a mechanical. Can you imagine the leader of a MTB race getting a flat and everyone waiting for him to get moving again? When I raced MTB and someone flatted or dropped a chain, I pushed on knowing that one more opponent was out. To me, it's all part of the game. If your equipment fails it might be over for you. That's the risk.

It's the timing if the attack. If you have already attacked the leader and he has a problem, all bets are off. If you see him have trouble and then attack, that's low class.
GO Quiutana!

phcollard
07-24-2015, 10:52 AM
32 seconds gain. Not much but show him who's the boss! :fight:

Shortsocks
07-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Not that Nibali had to do much to make Vinokurov look like an idiot,

Chapeau to the Shark!

Lol. Love it. Thanks for the laugh!

jmal
07-24-2015, 10:58 AM
It's the timing if the attack. If you have already attacked the leader and he has a problem, all bets are off. If you see him have trouble and then attack, that's low class.
GO Quiutana!

Why? It's a mechanical sport. The bike is part of the equation. If your rival is cracking and you attack what's the difference? Cycling is about the rider and the bike. If one or both fail it's game over. The idea of class is arbitrary. From my perspective, the moment one enters a race they have effectively announced that they are attacking, albeit a prolonged attack.

FlashUNC
07-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Why? It's a mechanical sport. The bike is part of the equation. If your rival is cracking and you attack what's the difference? Cycling is about the rider and the bike. If one or both fail it's game over. The idea of class is arbitrary. From my perspective, the moment one enters a race they have effectively announced that they are attacking, albeit a prolonged attack.

Difference being this is a three week, multi-stage race where these guys aren't always necessarily rivals.

At some point they may need to work together to achieve their own goals -- chase down an attack from a rival team, work together to catch a rival who's attacked, etc -- and being a petty douchecanoe by, say, attacking when someone has a flat at a lull in the race, or when they're stopping for a pee break, or their bike craps the bed, doesn't win many friendships or at least respected adversaries.

Its kind of the Golden Rule. Would you want someone attacking you while taking a whiz, just because that's a "weak moment."

Its why the race officials tend to turn a blind eye when a guy has a mechanical and is getting back into the peloton with the help of the team cars. Not his fault, and he's already working hard enough to chase back on. Why compound it?

Now...one day races....all bets are off.

Elefantino
07-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Takeaways from today:

Bjarne Riis would never have let Majka pull Sky up the mountain.
Valverde was gassed or he would have tried to one-two before the downhill at 8k
SRAM will introduce new and exciting road 1x11 tomorrow.

soulspinner
07-24-2015, 11:10 AM

+1 wish he was as good as last year...

ik2280
07-24-2015, 11:12 AM

Late peaking dope schedule.

phcollard
07-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Late peaking dope schedule.

Post #8 :no:

jmal
07-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Difference being this is a three week, multi-stage race where these guys aren't always necessarily rivals.

At some point they may need to work together to achieve their own goals -- chase down an attack from a rival team, work together to catch a rival who's attacked, etc -- and being a petty douchecanoe by, say, attacking when someone has a flat at a lull in the race, or when they're stopping for a pee break, or their bike craps the bed, doesn't win many friendships or at least respected adversaries.

Its kind of the Golden Rule. Would you want someone attacking you while taking a whiz, just because that's a "weak moment."

Its why the race officials tend to turn a blind eye when a guy has a mechanical and is getting back into the peloton with the help of the team cars. Not his fault, and he's already working hard enough to chase back on. Why compound it?

Okay, I can see this perspective in terms of temporary allegiances and so forth. I haven't watched the stage yet, but did he attack in a lull, or was it in the heat of things?

JimmyTango
07-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Okay, I can see this perspective in terms of temporary allegiances and so forth. I haven't watched the stage yet, but did he attack in a lull, or was it in the heat of things?

Froomey seems to think it was intentional:

" I suddently felt like my back wheel locked up, a bit of tar or a small stone had locked itself between my brake caliper and back wheel so I had to stop and take the wheel backwards to get the stone out. Unfortunately that was the moment that Nibali decided to make his move. He did see what he was doing, I知 pretty sure he looked around, saw I was in trouble and attacked. In my opinion you don稚 do that to the race leader, it痴 not sportmanlike."

sfscott
07-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Except that the officials fined the guy that got clipped by the moto yesterday for having a sticky bottle. It's all arbitrary. None of the big guys get touched.

FlashUNC
07-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Except that the officials fined the guy that got clipped by the moto yesterday for having a sticky bottle. It's all arbitrary. None of the big guys get touched.

Who ever said rule application in cycling was fair?

:banana:

harlond
07-24-2015, 12:41 PM

" I suddently felt like my back wheel locked up, a bit of tar or a small stone had locked itself between my brake caliper and back wheel so I had to stop and take the wheel backwards to get the stone out. Unfortunately that was the moment that Nibali decided to make his move. He did see what he was doing, I知 pretty sure he looked around, saw I was in trouble and attacked. In my opinion you don稚 do that to the race leader, it痴 not sportmanlike."I was watching and couldn't tell. "I'm pretty sure he looked around" is not the same as "I saw him look at me."

jlwdm
07-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Some great rides today - Nibali, Quintana and Froome.

Froome my not be pretty to watch but he is a fighter.

Jeff

enr1co
07-24-2015, 01:03 PM

" I suddently felt like my back wheel locked up, a bit of tar or a small stone had locked itself between my brake caliper and back wheel so I had to stop and take the wheel backwards to get the stone out. Unfortunately that was the moment that Nibali decided to make his move. He did see what he was doing, I知 pretty sure he looked around, saw I was in trouble and attacked. In my opinion you don稚 do that to the race leader, it痴 not sportmanlike."

BS- how could Froome see Nibali looking at him when Froome is in his typical looking at stem position? Nibili took off while the group was rolling - not when Froome was stopped. How is Nibali supposed to know that Froome was slowing and looking down (again) due to a rock in his rear brake versus cracking?

ntb1001
07-24-2015, 01:46 PM
I don't think Nibali intentionally attacked because of Froome's mechanical problem. It looked to happened at exactly the same time, and with Froome behind Nibali and out of his line of sight, I don't think Nibali even knew that Froome had a problem at all.
Even with the mechanical, Froome had lots of time and many km's to recover and get back to Nibali, he and Sky just couldn't do it. To whine after the race that Froome was unsportsmanlike is pretty pathetic to me.
Definitely the best stage of the race, hopefully more of the same tomorrow.

peanutgallery
07-24-2015, 01:54 PM
RE: Nibbles on the attack

If you're going to run craptastic chainrings (Osymetric) that are known to be issue prone and then someone attacks/jumps while you're forced to inevitably goof around with them, it's your own fault

deechee
07-24-2015, 01:58 PM
"Before judging, you need to think and use your brain"

haha. Love the quote (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-nibali-justifies-attacking-during-froomes-mechanical-problem). Good for Nibbles.

sinican
07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
riders from different teams work together during different parts of a three week race based on self-interest. The allegiance has mutual benefits. I assume the mutual benefit would present itself during a situation whether you like another rider(s) or not, whether he had displayed "unsportsman-like conduct" in the past or not. If there is benefit that might contribute to winning, I would be stupid not to collaborate with anyone.

I think racing is the whole--bike, rider, team mechanics. I am just disappointed that none of the other big favorites went to Nibali. this way it would been much harder for Froome to latch back on with only one teammate left, and the other big GC guys can collaborate and eek out a bigger advantage, making tomorrow's last mountain stage even more exciting.

I am assuming pro-racers ride to win, and besides a set of practices labeled cheating, I don't think anything else is off-limit. Controversial, perhaps, but not off-limit.

jlwdm
07-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Even with the mechanical, Froome had lots of time and many km's to recover and get back to Nibali, he and Sky just couldn't do it. To whine after the race that Froome was unsportsmanlike is pretty pathetic to me.

It was Nibali so it did not really matter. Sky was not concerned about catching Nibali. Great ride for Nibali today but this has been an embarrassing tour for Nibali. The strong teams just let him go over and over again.

Jeff

KJMUNC
07-24-2015, 02:28 PM
I was watching and couldn't tell. "I'm pretty sure he looked around" is not the same as "I saw him look at me."

Yep, they were all on a hair trigger waiting to attack at that point.....I'm no fan of Nibbles, but it appeared Froome dropped back, Niabali sensed his chance and went. Not like he saw him ride off the road or anything.

The only one demonstrating low class is Froome coming after him in the podium area after the race. True champions know how to handle defeat. He is not one of them.

phcollard
07-24-2015, 02:35 PM
The only one demonstrating low class is Froome coming after him in the podium area after the race. True champions know how to handle defeat. He is not one of them.

...but Nibali revealed Froome verbally attacked him after the stage in the podium area.

"I won't say the words he used because they've too harsh and it's not nice to say them. He was very angry but I don't know what his problem was. Lots of things happen in a race..." Nibali said in the post-stage press conference, seemingly unworried by the attack.

Len J
07-24-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't think Nibali intentionally attacked because of Froome's mechanical problem. It looked to happened at exactly the same time, and with Froome behind Nibali and out of his line of sight, I don't think Nibali even knew that Froome had a problem at all.

Look at the pictures and then say that

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Yep, they were all on a hair trigger waiting to attack at that point.....I'm no fan of Nibbles, but it appeared Froome dropped back, Niabali sensed his chance and went. Not like he saw him ride off the road or anything.

Defeated by the rock stuck between the tire and bike? How exactly was Froom 'defeated'? How far back is nibbles? It was intentional when Nibali saw his mechanical, would he have attacked if Froom had a puncture or got hooked and crashed? I'll bet he would. Nibali wearing that really heavy number needed something regardless of how, he got it, so what. On Sunday Froom will still be wearing a yellow shirt.

JimmyTango
07-24-2015, 04:43 PM
BS- how could Froome see Nibali looking at him when Froome is in his typical looking at stem position? Nibili took off while the group was rolling - not when Froome was stopped. How is Nibali supposed to know that Froome was slowing and looking down (again) due to a rock in his rear brake versus cracking?

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of watching the races-- just following the play by play news feed- so I didn't see it. It does sound to me though that Froome's being unfair in his accusation of shady business from Nibs...

weisan
07-24-2015, 04:43 PM
https://twitter.com/TV2SPORTdk/status/624612734663921665

:(

protorio
07-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Some poetry from the Rivendell list today:

A race bike has certain appeal
Until stopped with a clatter and squeal
Oh what would he give
For a wide clearance Riv
When a stone caught up in his wheel?

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Some poetry from the Rivendell list today:

A race bike has certain appeal
Until stopped with a clatter and squeal
Oh what would he give
For a wide clearance Riv
When a stone caught up in his wheel?

Huh? :help:
Limerick? Poor one at that.

johnmdesigner
07-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Look at the pictures and then say that

In your first picture Froome looks like he always does staring at his stem.
Second picture Nibili not looking at him.
Judge Judy is not going to accept this as evidence.
But Phil Ligget (the Wolf Blitzer of cycling) says he's a cad so it must be so.

johnmdesigner
07-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Phil is just mad because he can't say "tee - Jay" anymore.

T.J.
07-24-2015, 08:45 PM
In your first picture Froome looks like he always does staring at his stem.
Second picture Nibili not looking at him.
But Phil Ligget (the Wolf Blitzer of cycling) says he's a cad so it must be so.

Right? If nobody attacked when Froome was staring at his stem ...well no one ever would

ultraman6970
07-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Anybody noticed that Frommey kind'a throw his arm to valverde after the incident?? I was the only one that saw that this morning??? In the retransmission couldn't see it.

BTW, race is race... nobody likes prime mantis and #1 needed to get sometihng out of this tour, I was prime mantis i wouldnt even worry about nibbles, 8 minutes behind.. besides was even better for froomey because now 2,3 and 4th place will battle their positions tomorrow. There is no way quintana how he is climbing this year to get the time back tomorrow. Froomey has the race won IMO.

johnmdesigner
07-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Really I've never understood this bullï½·ï½·ï½·ï½· about not attacking when the leader is in trouble.
Do runners or swimmers stop when their competitors get a cramp?
Do car racers stop when one of their cars blow up?
It's just nonsense. The guy is 8 minutes behind. Froome wouldn't have chased him down anyway. Why would he?

ultraman6970
07-24-2015, 08:59 PM
His team went chasing for nibbles several times before, this was like the only chance nibbles had to brake free... fair IMO. Froomey wants it all, tomorrow sure he will got for the stage just to make an statement and win practically everything but sprinter and young rider.

Really I've never understood this bullï½·ï½·ï½·ï½· about not attacking when the leader is in trouble.
It's just nonsense. The guy is 8 minutes behind. Froome wouldn't have chased him down anyway. Why would he?

sinican
07-24-2015, 11:00 PM

i am in 100% agreement. i wished everyone had gone with Nibali and left Froome behind. He wouldn't be able to latch back on if that were the case. We would have a much more exciting stage tomorrow and perhaps even a new yellow jersey. but oh well

Climb01742
07-25-2015, 06:20 AM
Sports are filled with instances where a player drops a ball, falls down or slips, loses a shoe, pulls a hamstring mid-play or simply has an incident of bad luck and the other player or team takes advantage. The idea that this constitutes unsportsmanship is crazy. Sports are a combination of skill and luck. Sometimes the gods are with you and sometimes not. Players accept that, suck it up and play on. Random lucky or unlucky bounces are part of the beauty and unpredictability of sports. Froome whining about it later as unfair is what's actually unsporting. Hey, Froomy, play the bad hops. You're not 12.

oldpotatoe
07-25-2015, 06:23 AM

I think it has to do with if the rider just doesn't have it, or if something happens beyond his control, like a flat or mechancal.

WHY there are tons of support vehicles, neutral support vehicles, why the commisaire's turn the other way for drafting back after punctures or 'sticky bottles'. So if the guy has a mechanical, bad form to attack. BUT it happens every race somewhere, sometime. Nothing against it in the rules.