PDA

View Full Version : Kinda OT: Career change - maybe to something with bikes?

Veloo
07-24-2015, 01:13 AM
Decided it's time for a job change and possibly a major career change. At 43, I'm quite a bit past my spring chicken days.

For those that made career changes a bit later in life, did you end up going into a cycling related job?

We forumites obviously love our bikes so I'm curious how many folks made the leap and were able to find something that really energized their soul.

The manufacturing/ engineering thing has run it's course for me.
I still remember when I first graduated and got in contact with a guy at Trek via a bulletin board service. He got my resume, he called but in the end it didn't pan out. I was very disappointed. I recall one person on the BBS saying to stay away from the bike industry as there's no money in it. Just get ONE bike to satisfy the dream. He did capitalize the word "ONE" in his response.
Not so many years ago, a coworker tried to apply to Cervelo. He spoke to one of the owners and they didn't exactly discourage him but said something along the lines of if you love bikes, you may not love them as much at the end of a long work day that totally revolves around making bikes.

A bit hard for me to really articulate what I'm even getting at, at 2 am and after hours in front of a spreadsheet. Guess I'm looking for a bit of feedback from anyone who has made the leap.

velotrack
07-24-2015, 02:14 AM
IMO, 43 is a perfectly acceptable age to decide what you're doing isn't something you want to continue. And that's fine. Better to make the switch now, rather than be in the same situation 10 years later wishing you had done it earlier. Not that you shouldn't weigh your options with considerable thought and time, of course, but just something to keep in mind. The safe choice isn't always the best one.

Regarding those in the industry who warned you regarding not loving bikes as much - YMMV - considerably. As with any advice from anyone, you know yourself better than they do, and the decision is yours.

Whatever you do, best of luck.
:beer:

likebikes
07-24-2015, 02:30 AM
If you like bikes, I don't recommend bicycle industry work. The "it doesn't pay for squat" thing is even more true today.

Black Dog
07-24-2015, 06:06 AM
Hey Veloo. I am your age and know what you are going through. I would say that the bike industry can be tough to carve a stable living out of and the romance will wear off quickly. What you are experiancing is very usual for guys around our age and there are lots of ways to come to terms with the feeling. Might I suggest that you take a sabbatical if possible? If you can get a leave of absence from your current job and go out and pursue anything else, even the bike biz. If you love the new direction you can stay with it, if not, you can go back. You might find that going back after some serious time away will recharge you and have broken the dark clouds that are over you right now. I took a couple years off a while back for the same reasons you are dealing with and pursued another passion and generally shook things up then came back to the same career and felt renewed and have a much better outlook and perspective. Most of my friends have had or have what we called the 15 year itch. I am very passionate about the work I do and it is very easy to have that passion sullied by making a living from a passion unless you can step back once in a while and take a break and regain perspective and allow yourself to spend some time with other passions. This would be a great thing to mull over on a nice ride followed up with a beer. 🚴🏽

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 06:15 AM
Decided it's time for a job change and possibly a major career change. At 43, I'm quite a bit past my spring chicken days.

For those that made career changes a bit later in life, did you end up going into a cycling related job?

We forumites obviously love our bikes so I'm curious how many folks made the leap and were able to find something that really energized their soul.

The manufacturing/ engineering thing has run it's course for me.
I still remember when I first graduated and got in contact with a guy at Trek via a bulletin board service. He got my resume, he called but in the end it didn't pan out. I was very disappointed. I recall one person on the BBS saying to stay away from the bike industry as there's no money in it. Just get ONE bike to satisfy the dream. He did capitalize the word "ONE" in his response.
Not so many years ago, a coworker tried to apply to Cervelo. He spoke to one of the owners and they didn't exactly discourage him but said something along the lines of if you love bikes, you may not love them as much at the end of a long work day that totally revolves around making bikes.

A bit hard for me to really articulate what I'm even getting at, at 2 am and after hours in front of a spreadsheet. Guess I'm looking for a bit of feedback from anyone who has made the leap.

So, into the retail side? Bring your sense of humor and make sure you have the $ to do that, even if you own a place, and that is the best and worse job there is.

Distribution? With many, many manufacturer's and nearly unlimited MO on the interweb, that can be challenging.

Or..marry a rich girl, don't have kids.

Mikej
07-24-2015, 07:02 AM
I have known people who worked at trek - none of them work there anymore. Its not that great of a place to make a living but it may help you spring into a better gig.

Gummee
07-24-2015, 07:15 AM
I've been in and out of shops for the last 20+ years. Being a mechanic is a great skill to fall back on in times of need, but as stated above: it makes doing what you love tough 'cause you're doing it all day for someone else.

I've got stuff I need to do to my bikes that I really don't feel like doing after work.

The deals ARE that great because everyone in the business knows those of us in retail don't make squat. Only reason I can afford to work at a shop right now is no bills. No car payment. No mortgage. No credit cards. Nuthin.

Having said all that, generally the bike business is filled with fit, upbeat people doing what you like to do. It can be a fun atmosphere in the right place.

...and...

You only live once. Go for it and find out for yourself whether its right for you or not.

M

Ti Designs
07-24-2015, 07:25 AM
If you like bikes, I don't recommend bicycle industry work.

I don't know that I would agree with that. Guys at the shop have great bikes, they all seem to get new equipment and they're always getting pro deals or demo stuff. It's the other stuff in life that's missing - the house, the car...

I will say that the bike industry has nothing to do with cycling. It's an industry, it works based on spending, not riding. The goal is keep selling the next great thing. If ever you stop to ask yourself if it's really better than what it replaces, you're lost. Worse, if you take a step back and ask yourself what cyclists really need (not what's being sold to them), you'll realize how pointless it is.

shovelhd
07-24-2015, 07:45 AM
I will say that the bike industry has nothing to do with cycling. It's an industry, it works based on spending, not riding. The goal is keep selling the next great thing. If ever you stop to ask yourself if it's really better than what it replaces, you're lost. Worse, if you take a step back and ask yourself what cyclists really need (not what's being sold to them), you'll realize how pointless it is.

Now that's some wisdom right there.

Mikej
07-24-2015, 07:50 AM
I don't know that I would agree with that. Guys at the shop have great bikes, they all seem to get new equipment and they're always getting pro deals or demo stuff. It's the other stuff in life that's missing - the house, the car...

Exactly -please refer to Boost axle standard thread. And remember - the largest % of people who ride bikes are not like us, the everyday crowd is going to be tougher than the likes of us believers

thunderworks
07-24-2015, 07:53 AM
It's a very difficult balancing act, working in an industry where you have a deeply held vocational interest. I opened my own bike shop when I was 23 years old. I loved, lived and breathed bicycles. I thought I was in heaven . . . At least for a while. I wasn't able to balance my love of bikes and the demands of business though and quit riding, focusing on the needs of my store. The store became successful, but I was no longer interested in the bikes themselves, and my customers drove me a little nuts. After 21 years, I sold the store.

It's been over 20 years since I sold the store and I enjoy cycling again. Since I started in the business in 1974, I've only known two people who could sustain both their avocational and vocational interest in bikes. Everyone else I've known either remained enthusiasts and their business was difficult, or like me, they eventually focused on their business commitments and they found something else they were enthused about avocationally.

YMMV, and of course my experience was retail and there are lots of ways to be in the industry. And there is nothing wrong with doing it as long as it's fun and engaging and then doing something else.

fuzzalow
07-24-2015, 08:01 AM
There is truth to the old adage that the quickest way to take the joy outta something is to have to make a living at it. But I would counter that criticism with that most people like to do things they are good at and enjoy challenging work. If that fits where your head is at in taking this direction then you should have a go at it - you'll never know 'till you do it.

But also don't kid yourself - money is important and you gotta have it. It will define all your possibilities in all that there is to come for the obvious things in life like a house, a car and the ability to save for retirement. And it will define some your possibilities for the less obvious aspects of your life like who would date you or become your spouse and who and what your social network can be. And should you already have some of these things then you gotta figure out how to hang onto them as you embark in a new direction- both financially as well as personally because some who are close to you must also be up to the challenge.

Lot's to think about and great thrill in new things. Don't grind it out in stuff you hate. There is more to life than the greatest waste of living which is to smother the joy out of it.

eddief
07-24-2015, 08:14 AM
all the the anecdotes you hear are about the other people, not about YOU. Spend less time perseverating and more time homing in on what specifically you're good at or want to learn and try to choose an actual job target. Two kinds of research. The first is talking to people in the industry (informational interviewing) to learn about their experience, what they do, how they like it, their path to get there. Then you can make an informed decision about your job target...or not. The second kind of research, after you decide what you want to do, is to talk to another 25 people (informational interviewing). If you know what you want to do, those 25 people or someone they know might just have a job for you. We call it networking (informational interviewing) and it is how over 75% of people find jobs, not the internet.

A little helpful exercise to find out what's important to you:

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/career-assessment/work-values-check-list/article.aspx

I wonder how life is at Enve?

http://enve.com/careers/

makoti
07-24-2015, 10:06 AM
I changed careers at 47, so you're still young.
If you don't know what you want to do, I'd strongly suggest career counseling. I did that & it lead me to the medical field (radiology), which it turns out I really enjoy (very surprised, actually. I was in a people oriented job & wanted something "different". Turns out this is where I do best). Never would have thought about this without the counseling.
Second, retail is hard. HARD. If you own it, you are always, always there. Even when you're not there, you're there. (Owned a tri shop [shut up! They have money too!] for a few years) Hours are crap. After a full day around bikes, riding can seem a chore. The discounts are sweet, though. ;)

joe.e
07-24-2015, 11:36 AM
There is truth to the old adage that the quickest way to take the joy outta something is to have to make a living at it.

Aint that the truth. I used to want to be a photographer, then I became a photographer. Now I work in marketing (not as a photographer).

But maybe that's just me (or most people), and there IS a way to make it work. Every time I visit Portland I'm always struck by the passion of the people who work/own the stores I visit. Its like this guy wanted to own a coffee shop his whole life, and now that he does, hes going to put his heart and soul into it.

I don't know what I was getting at here. I didn't want to add an anecdote to a thread of anecdotes, but there you go. Best of luck, amigo.

fuzzalow
07-24-2015, 05:30 PM
all the the anecdotes you hear are about the other people, not about YOU.

HaHa! Yeah, such is the characteristic of anecdotal advice.

I rarely, if ever, post anecdotal tales and experiences because that form of advice doesn't make it relevant enough IMO to be helpful to the person asking - there are hundreds of details that go into formulating a decision. My post discusses issues, challenges and concerns and my post has nothin' about me in it other than what I think I know that might be helpful.

This topic is interesting to me if only because it plays the parlor game of "What If?". Sure, I think I might be good at stuff other than what I do, but who knows how it could really turn out if a few twists and turns might have come out differently. The mysteries of life and where but by the grace of God does one go?

Best of luck OP. There is never such a thing as "too late".

tmf
07-25-2015, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure where you live, or if you're open to relocation, but here are some jobs that might be worth looking at especially with your ME background. (keep in mind all of the product lines, not just the components)

https://www.sram.com/company/jobs