PDA

View Full Version : Three run-ins with a neighbor - confront in person or call the cops?

Louis
07-23-2015, 10:35 PM
While riding the bike in my subdivision I've recently had three run-ins with what I believe is the same neighbor (not yet sure because it was the same car for #1 and #3 and a different car for #2, but he looked similar).

The main issue is that we have very, very narrow roads in here and he refuses to move over. Today his external driver-side mirror hit my left arm then I sort of hit the side of the car a bit but he didn't even bother to stop. I did a u-turn and tried to chase him to get his plate, but wasn't able to catch up. Incident #1 was him pulling up next to me to tell me that I shouldn't be riding in the area and get out. I told him I lived in the subdivision and was going to continue to ride.

One other neighbor with whom I discussed this a few days ago said he thinks he knows who it is and that the old guy's a bit weird. This was confirmed tonight by a woman walking her dog who saw today's incident and also thinks she knows who it is. (They don't know his name, just where they think he lives.) The fact that he didn't bother to stop tonight tells me that this is intentional and that he wants to "teach me a lesson" about riding in the area. Each time it happened too quickly for me to get plates.

This is primarily a safety issue because if he refuses to move over when I'm going down one of the really steep hills I'll either hit the car at high speed or be in the ditch and could have a really serious injury.

Should I confirm who it is (would involve staking out the house in question, checking to see if the cars match, then figuring out his name) then go talk to him. Or should I figure out who it is then go straight to the cops? Three times in a few weeks - this guy is a menace, but I'm not sure what the cops will be willing to do.

jtakeda
07-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Definitely confirm who he is and go to the cops.

Even if the cops don't do anything there will be a record of your complaint.

If you go straight to him, he can claim you're harassing him. Sounds like a nut job who will claim you staked out his house and yelled at him and it will make you sound like a stalking revenge type lunatic knocking on peoples doors and harassing them for driving like an idiot

Mr. Pink
07-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Two words: Go Pro.

msl819
07-23-2015, 10:50 PM
I have a good friend who is a cop. You can search here for a thread I started about an incident a buddy and I had one night. My cop friend and I had a long conversation and his advice was in situations like these to get cops on the scene ASAP. I would think it would be wise to call your local law enforcement and discuss the situation with them and ask them to tell you how to proceed. Also it would be good for them to have an account of it all in case it was ever a matter of pertinent info. You can go give him a lecture or a LEO could do the same. I would think a visit from a patrol officer would be more helpful.

FlashUNC
07-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Go Pro and cops.

Wouldn't even kid around.

dustyrider
07-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Some kind of a stick with a bottle opener taped to the end and...wait you live there.

Umm video footage would be the best. Even when you call the police it's a crap shoot. I'd like to volunteer a generous forum member's video equipment be loaned to you, but I don't know exactly who to call out...

djg21
07-23-2015, 10:57 PM

If you go straight to him, he can claim you're harassing him. Sounds like a nut job who will claim you staked out his house and yelled at him and it will make you sound like a stalking revenge type lunatic knocking on peoples doors and harassing them for driving like an idiot

Agree. Self help is almost always a bad idea. He might decide to break out his shotgun and treat you like a trespasser!

See if you can identify the car and then go straight to the police.

These types of encounters are just why I purchased a Fly6 rear light/video camera. https://cycliq.com It seems to have been a worthwhile investment.

texbike
07-23-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this. What a prick!

Like the others have suggested, contact the police immediately and file a report. After recent bike/car issues, I'm sure that they will take this seriously and perhaps even have a patrol car in the area for a bit.

Good luck and be safe!

Texbike

Mr. Pink
07-23-2015, 11:02 PM
When he throws a cup of urine at you, blame the local media for lack of attention to your problem.

jtakeda
07-23-2015, 11:04 PM
Agree. Self help us almost always a bad idea. He might decide to break out his shotgun and treat you like a trespasser!

See if you can identify the car and then go straight to the police.

These types of encounters are just why I purchased a Fly6 rear light/video camera. https://cycliq.com It seems to have been a worthwhile investment.

From personal experience, self help is a horrible idea.

The best you get is an empty apology, but typically you get a pissed of moron with a 2000 pound weapon.

Louis
07-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I don't have a Go Pro, but that would help collect info about the car and probably the plates.

Nor do I have a cell phone and I figured riding straight home to call the cops out on what might have been a wild goose chase with little data to go on wasn't appealing.

I'll call the cops tomorrow and see what they think. If they give me the brush-off or aren't helpful I might get a Go Pro. The next few times I'm out in the car I'll swing by what I'm told is his street (it's a dead end with only 4 or 5 houses on it) to see if any garage doors are open. I will also talk to the subdivision officers to see if they think they know him or know his name.

I don't want to meet up with this guy when I'm going 50+ mph on a downhill.

eddief
07-23-2015, 11:16 PM
with a lethal weapon. I've never met you, but I prefer you in an alive condition. It would be great if you could confirm car and address and then see if the law will get on your side. If not, set a bag of dog sh*t on fire on his porch, ring his door bell, and run like hell. Film it with a GoPro and post it here.

gdw
07-23-2015, 11:31 PM
After all the whining you've done about police officers over the years you now find yourself in need of one because you can't handle the situation on your own.....classic. Better can the attitude when you call and hope the officer who responds isn't a member of this forum who has read some of your previous posts.

rustychisel
07-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Actually your right is enshrined to meet his weapon with a semi automatic weapon, but that's a really ·····e idea too. :bike:

Stay well, stay safe, understand your neighbours are the best witnesses you have and do it officially.

Be certain in your own mind you have done nothing wrong, and this person - for whatever reason - has already shown what sort of person they are. They will continue to do so until compelled to stop.

kramnnim
07-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Any cell phone can dial 911, it doesn't need to have a paid service attached to it. Might be able to get one easily to carry around until this is resolved?

rustychisel
07-23-2015, 11:33 PM
After all the whining you've done about police officers over the years you now find yourself in need of one because you can't handle the situation on your own.....classic. Better can the attitude when you call and hope the officer who responds isn't a member of this forum who has read some of your previous posts.

Playing the man? That's not very worthy of you.

And incidentally, that's beside the point, because any of us with half a brain understand that when you get the police involved you don't necessarily know whether you're getting Officer D**wad or Officer NiceGuy.

Louis
07-23-2015, 11:38 PM

In other words, unless I grovel when I interact with police officers they won't be willing to help me when I ask them to do their job and help?

What a typical attitude, and coming from you that doesn't surprise me one bit.

djg21
07-23-2015, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I don't have a Go Pro, but that would help collect info about the car and probably the plates.

Nor do I have a cell phone and I figured riding straight home to call the cops out on what might have been a wild goose chase with little data to go on wasn't appealing.

I'll call the cops tomorrow and see what they think. If they give me the brush-off or aren't helpful I might get a Go Pro. The next few times I'm out in the car I'll swing by what I'm told is his street (it's a dead end with only 4 or 5 houses on it) to see if any garage doors are open. I will also talk to the subdivision officers to see if they think they know him or know his name.

I don't want to meet up with this guy when I'm going 50+ mph on a downhill.

I don't know the circumstances why you don't have a cell phone, and I'm not proselytizing at all, but I will say there have been at least two occasions where drivers have gotten out of cars to confront me or friends I've been riding with, and circumstances that could have become very volatile were quickly defused when I pulled out my iPhone, and started taking pictures of the stopped car, license plate, driver, etc.

Even so, I just purchased a Kimber Pepperblaster that I'm going to start carrying in my jersey pocket. http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster?

eddief
07-23-2015, 11:45 PM
about the degree to which groveling is required.

In other words, unless I grovel when I interact with police officers they won't be willing to help me when I ask them to do their job and help?

What a typical attitude, and coming from you that doesn't surprise me one bit.

buldogge
07-23-2015, 11:53 PM
Probably the same prick that yelled at Jimmy and I as we were heading up "the hill" towards your house.

I, of course, said nothing off-color to him.

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
07-23-2015, 11:57 PM
I, of course, said nothing off-color to him.

So that's why he hates all cyclists, because you told him to f' off. ;)

The funny thing is that it might not be the same guy because my current guy really hasn't lived here for that long. I've probably lived here way longer than he has...

odin99
07-23-2015, 11:58 PM
confrontations like this can build and build. but the law isn't really going to do anything unless there's evidence in the form of video. i'd suggest, as others have, to equip yourself with some video outfit and avoid confrontation as much as possible. in the mean time, figure who it is. if another incident occurs, report it immediately. heck, you don't have to wait for another indecent.

Louis
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM
confrontations like this can build and build. but the law isn't really going to do anything unless there's evidence in the form of video

Or me in the hospital with a broken back.

BobO
07-24-2015, 12:10 AM
confrontations like this can build and build. but the law isn't really going to do anything unless there's evidence in the form of video. i'd suggest, as others have, to equip yourself with some video outfit and avoid confrontation as much as possible. in the mean time, figure who it is. if another incident occurs, report it immediately. heck, you don't have to wait for another indecent.

From personal experience, this.

A neighbor is in a position to make your life a living hell if they want to. Your only protections are irrefutable evidence and a level head. Don't get drawn into his hatred.

Hope that he isn't some sort of sociopath who derives pleasure from inflicting pain upon others. You'll know this if he escalates after the police get involved.

palincss
07-24-2015, 05:29 AM

I agree -- and this would be a perfect reason to buy a GoPro to document it.

Tandem Rider
07-24-2015, 05:38 AM
One thing I have learned and observed over the years is that the first caller to the police is usually the one the officer(s) side with. That is why Mrs TR always hired a Uniformed Off Duty Deputy to help out at her races (traffic). The LEO was already called, at the scene, and on her side.

Do not confront him yourself, if he calls the PD, you have already lost.

1. Call PD right away but don't expect much.

2. Get the plate the next time and call right away again.

3. Repeat. The more times you call, the more officer's you will involve and the more complaints will be on file against him. Eventually, something should happen.

oldpotatoe
07-24-2015, 05:58 AM

Agree. If nothing else, the cops will go talk to the guy, that 'may' get his attention.

Don't confront, he's already pissed off.

Walter
07-24-2015, 07:47 AM
My vote is for calling the police rather than a confrontation. That is fraught with too many perils.

I had a very rare response from the offending motorist to a similar situation. Several friends and I were riding single file on a sunny Sunday morning when a motorist shaved us, loudly honking, and tried to force me off of a narrow paved road (when there was no oncoming traffic), then sped away.

We got his plate # and called the police (they have an aggressive driver reporting # here). The police contacted him and he told a very different story: We had spread across the road, would not let him by (as he was going to church), and threatened him. Officer was apologetic and said there was nothing he could do. Video evidence would have changed that result.

I tracked down the fellow's name and address and wrote a letter explaining that what he did was dangerous and could have resulted in injury, death, civil suits against him, and perhaps a criminal prosecution. I provided the link to the case of the LA MD who went to prison over a similar act. I chided him for lying to the police while going to church. I pointed out that the four us included a former federal prosecutor of the year, 2 more lawyers, and a very successful business executive and that we were not exactly powerless. To my great surprise, I got a phone call from apologizing for his conduct.

That was a one in a million result.

Here, the police are willing to discuss the dangers of this kind of conduct with offending motorists, will tell them that their names are now on an aggressive driver list and that a repeat of the behavior may result in prosecution. That usually has a good deterrent effect.

ScottM
07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
I suggest you call the police for yourself and other cyclists who may not have your skills in avoiding a sideswipe or worse. Children and numerous adults need a bit of room to ride safely. I doubt very much your antagonist can quickly judge the cycling skills of the object of his rage quickly enough to avoid all injurious contact.

Mikej
07-24-2015, 07:59 AM
I would just back away and avoid doing anything- you may win in court but it won't undead you.

HenryA
07-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Louis,
You were assaulted and you could just as well be dead instead of afraid. This is serious. Call the police, be sure they talk with the person who witnessed this last event. Do it now before you're run over and seriously injured or killed.

jr59
07-24-2015, 08:08 AM
Without knowing exactly who you are talking about, what is law enforcement going to do? Had to file a complaint against every driver who drives that same make and model car.
Even if you wanted to confront the driver yourself, ( not advisable) how sure are you that you have the correct driver?

You need to be sure of who you are having a problem with first. Then call LEO and file a complaint.

alessandro
07-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Louis, this is your neighborhood--it's not like you can avoid this guy.
1. Get a cheap cell phone--you can walk into any phone store and get a phone with no annual contract, and just pay for the service as you go. (You don't have to tell anyone that you have one :o.)
2. Get his license plate number and call the cops. They may not do anything, but you will establish a record with them of a reckless driver.
3. GoPro. Get one second-hand, ask your nephew, whatever. You need evidence of his aggressive and dangerous driving.
4. Document each instance and send all the information to the police.

This sucks--sorry you have to deal with this, and good luck.

Kirk007
07-24-2015, 09:11 AM
What a shame and unpleasant. potentially dangerous situation. Some good suggestions here, I would second getting a GoPro with helmet mount. Couple hundred dollars but hey they can be a lot of fun.

3x in one week - seems like an unusual run of run-ins unless he is new to the neighborhood. Is it random bad luck or someone with a serious problem? Is it always on the same route? Is he coming from behind or approaching? If from behind, perhaps a mirror is worth the investment. If you hear or see him coming get the GoPro rolling. Is your schedule predictable? Can you change your route?

I'd get info from the neighbor who witnessed and ask her to write it down, date and sign. I would try to locate the car(s) and photograph and get license numbers. You will need to build a case so that its more than you said he said.

Sorry this is happening to you, there are a lot of douchebags out there and civil behaivor seems to be trending in the wrong direction in too many places.

biker72
07-24-2015, 09:15 AM
As others have mentioned contact the police.
DO NOT confront this guy.
You now how us old people are.......:)

slidey
07-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Alarming to hear of this, Louis.

Even more alarming to hear the you don't ride with a mobile phone. I'd very strongly recommend getting a mobile phone with a good camera, with a good network in your area. I don't know what your reasons for not carrying one are - but, if they're for world-record setting/luddite reasons, I'd strongly urge you to chuck them out the window, and get one since its the most sensible thing to do, especially given the present circs.

Once you have the equipment, at least it prevents you from trespassing on someone else's property doing amateur snooping, and risking facing off shocked/pissed off neighbours, and getting the cops called on you. How would you then explain to the cops your actions?

Anyway, bad situation that you're in - but lack of tech is putting you in a much more tricky position than absolutely any one else in the country. I'd suggest improving your odds of gathering evidence, with the least amount of resistance/interference. Good luck!

Kirk007
07-24-2015, 09:22 AM

···? And apologies for any thread drift but REALLY? A forum members life is put in danger by an asshat and this is your helpful response?

Tony T
07-24-2015, 09:37 AM
Without knowing exactly who you are talking about, what is law enforcement going to do?

He was hit by the car (the mirror hit him).
That's all that's needed to file a report.
Agreed, not much law enforcement can do, but it still should be reported.

rinconryder
07-24-2015, 10:15 AM
He assaulted you with a vehicle. That is a serious felony. But for his pattern of behavior you could write it off as accident but this was intentional. He cannot be allowed to continue and you need to contact the cops immediately.

CunegoFan
07-24-2015, 10:26 AM
One thing I have learned and observed over the years is that the first caller to the police is usually the one the officer(s) side with. That is why Mrs TR always hired a Uniformed Off Duty Deputy to help out at her races (traffic). The LEO was already called, at the scene, and on her side.

Do not confront him yourself, if he calls the PD, you have already lost.

1. Call PD right away but don't expect much.

2. Get the plate the next time and call right away again.

3. Repeat. The more times you call, the more officer's you will involve and the more complaints will be on file against him. Eventually, something should happen.

How many repeats do you figure the OP will survive without injury?

Tandem Rider
07-24-2015, 01:15 PM
How many repeats do you figure the OP will survive without injury?

I'm looking for another option, what am I missing??

Confront the driver himself or call the Police or ???

djg21
07-24-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm looking for another option, what am I missing??

Confront the driver himself or call the Police or ???

I heard a story growing up about a friend of my father who was out riding his bike when a passenger in a car threw a can of beer and hit him in the back. He happened across the car the next day in a driveway. Apparently, the following morning the driver went to his car and found a bicycling magazine tied to a cinder block that was imbedded in the front window of the car.

I wouldn't recommend this because you could end up in some serious trouble with law enforcement, or worse. But the story is somewhat poetic.

Louis
07-24-2015, 02:04 PM
I just called the St Louis County Police. I briefly explained the situation and they told me that they'd come out to talk to me and to "take a report." I volunteered to go by the precinct instead and they said that was also good.

saab2000
07-24-2015, 02:08 PM
I had a similar situation a few years ago with a guy on a motor scooter who was issuing very thinly veiled threats against me. Then he took off and I couldn't catch him. I probably could have 20 years go.

Cops.

If you can film an incident it's much better because otherwise it's a "He said, He said" situation, which you're not likely to win. But if he struck you with his vehicle it's an assault. No more, no less.

azrider
07-24-2015, 02:11 PM

This is great advice.

BobO
07-24-2015, 02:14 PM
I just called the St Louis County Police. I briefly explained the situation and they told me that they'd come out to talk to me and to "take a report." I volunteered to go by the precinct instead and they said that was also good.

Ask that they keep your name and address from the offender.

Louis
07-24-2015, 02:33 PM
If I decide to go the camera route, anyone care to recommend a make and model?

Basic, with less than 1 hr record time is fine, since I don't spend that much time actually riding in my subdivision. Most critical thing would be that the quality be good enough to get the license plate. (I assume all of these can talk to an XP machine without having to transfer huge files from the internet - I live out in boonies and only have dialup.)

Also, what's the better place to put it, helmet or bars?

TIA

azrider
07-24-2015, 02:40 PM
If I decide to go the camera route, anyone care to recommend a make and model?

Also, what's the better place to put it, helmet or bars?

TIA

I've had great success with the Garmin Virb.

djg21
07-24-2015, 02:48 PM
I've had great success with the Garmin Virb.

Take a look at the Fly6, and the Fly12 which is about to be released. https://cycliq.com

They are designed to be safety cameras and are not as elaborate as the GoPros or Virbs. But they also are lower in price. I purchased the Fly6 for just over $100 when it was on sale at REI. I don't have a front camera, and am waiting to see how the Fly12 pans out. I don't need a big action camera on my bike, and the Fly12 looks to be pretty compact.

dustyrider
07-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Take a look at the Fly6, and the Fly12 which is about to be released. https://cycliq.com

They are designed to be safety cameras and are not as elaborate as the GoPros or Virbs. But they also are lower in price. I purchased the Fly6 for just over $100 when it was on sale at REI. I don't have a front camera, and am waiting to see how the Fly12 pans out. I don't need a big action camera on my bike, and the Fly12 looks to be pretty compact.

The example footage on their site makes it seem very worth the price. VIDEO (https://cycliq.com/videos/116?tag=Staff+Picks) There is a horrible t-bone accident which illustrates the need for something like this yet with only one angle it sure is hard to tell what goes down...other than carnage.

I wonder if they'll end up doing a package fly12and6...?

Louis
07-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Ouch.

Nice save by the guy in red.

Edit: Given that my incidents have been primarily caused by the guy refusing to move over while going in the other direction, in this case I think a front view would be best for me. Not sure what he would do coming from the rear - but that's obviously a potential problem too. At least then our relative speeds are a bit closer.

Plum Hill
07-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Mind if I ask the specific area?
I no longer ride West County, but I have friends that do. At the least, I can warn them.
A description of the car would be handy.

shovelhd
07-24-2015, 05:25 PM
You have a greater chance of getting hit blind from the rear than the front. A good rear facing camera like the fly6 will catch a brush by as they pass from the opposite direction and grab the plate as well. I don't think it makes sense to buy a front facing camera for this one guy. You could always mount the fly6 on the front to catch this guy then move it to the rear once he has been taken care of.

Louis
07-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Mind if I ask the specific area?
I no longer ride West County, but I have friends that do. At the least, I can warn them.
A description of the car would be handy.

It's off Wildhorse Creek Rd, near Babler State Park. Incidents #1 and #3 were a dark minivan, I think a Honda. #2 was a tan / goldish sedan, sort of like a Camry. Pretty sure it's the same guy, but until I see both cars in the same driveway or garage I won't know for sure.

Louis
07-24-2015, 05:39 PM
You could always mount the fly6 on the front to catch this guy then move it to the rear once he has been taken care of.

This is what I was thinking.

Don49
07-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Louis,

If you like the Fly6 camera idea, then you might consider this camera: http://smile.amazon.com/Veho-VCC-003-MUVI-BLK-digital-camcorder-Surveillance/dp/B0029631VI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1437777818&sr=8-10&keywords=micro+camera

It's basically the same camera as the Fly6 but without the light and much cheaper. I bought one just to play with and it would do the job, but for regular use I'd get something more rugged.

Keep us posted. Never feels good to be in situations like this.

Louis
07-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Thanks Don - that's a great option and the price makes it pretty easy to justify.

shovelhd
07-24-2015, 06:18 PM
Ok for catching this guy but it has limitations. It's not HD, only VGA. Reading the plate is TBD. It also doesn't have the crash feature that the fly6 has. That would be very important if you were hit.

Peter P.
07-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Agree. If nothing else, the cops will go talk to the guy, that 'may' get his attention.

This.

See if you have a community police officer; one assigned to your neighborhood/district. Their focus is on getting to know the inhabitants and enforcing "quality of life" issues.

Regardless of whether police have enough evidence to charge, just talking to him will let him know he's on their radar and he might be more careful.

Call every time there's an incident. Gather enough evidence and the police will go to work; they hate cases with insufficient evidence to prosecute. I've been involved in situations like this and persistence and documentation pay off.

Keep a diary of every date and time you have an encounter, as well as the details.

See if you can "innocently" walk near his suspected address to find where he lives.

Practice reciting license plate numbers as cars pass by you in your subdivision.

Wear a rear view mirror just until the issue is resolved. It will help prepare you to read his license plate if he's approaching.

brownhound
07-25-2015, 06:20 AM
It's off Wildhorse Creek Rd, near Babler State Park.

So, in other words, cycling central for the metro area. Dealing with this is a public good for almost everyone who seriously bikes. I endorse your mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldamelio
07-25-2015, 07:15 AM
Ten percent of the population has a mental illness. One in three households in the US has a gun. I always remember this when tempted to give the finger or otherwise confront a motorist. This guy has already shown that he's not right in the head. By his behavior to date, the odds of having a rational conversation to change his perspective are zero. Your odds of getting hurt in a confrontation are moderate or worse; he's in a 4000 pound weapon, you're on a 15 pound bicycle.

I agree that the camera is a good idea in case you have another encounter while JRA, but I wouldn't intentionally ride more than necessary in the area to bait him into giving you evidence. The moral victory of evidence is no good if you're hurt or dead. If you have a good idea who he is, I would go to the police now atmo. YMMV.

biker72
07-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Ten percent of the population has a mental illness. One in three households in the US has a gun. I always remember this when tempted to give the finger or otherwise confront a motorist. This guy has already shown that he's not right in the head. By his behavior to date, the odds of having a rational conversation to change his perspective are zero. Your odds of getting hurt in a confrontation are moderate or worse; he's in a 4000 pound weapon, you're on a 15 pound bicycle.

I agree that the camera is a good idea in case you have another encounter while JRA, but I wouldn't intentionally ride more than necessary in the area to bait him into giving you evidence. The moral victory of evidence is no good if you're hurt or dead. If you have a good idea who he is, I would go to the police now atmo. YMMV.

If this guy is a little older he could very well have vision problems.

Or he could be like around Dallas, older folks don't think bicycles should be anywhere on the road. Under 55 folks will smile and wave if they accidently cut you off. Over 65 will glare and honk.

Louis
07-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Well, I'm making some progress.

I just drove down to the house identified by the dog-walker lady as the guy's residence and sure enough, parked in the yard were several vehicles, including the gold / sand colored sedan and the dark mini-van. It turns out there are only two houses on that particular dead-end street, so once she said the street name and "house #2" it was easy to zero in on the right place.

I now feel like I have enough good info to swing by the local police station on Monday and give them some concrete information, instead of just "I have a problem with some cars that may be owned by someone who lives near me."

Now that I have a definite fix on the house I'll also see if some of the folks I know around here, including the subdivision association president, know the guy's name.

nighthawk
07-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Try a search on your town's tax assessor database. Often times they will publish ownership records for properties by address. That is assuming the person is the property owner.

jr59
07-25-2015, 04:56 PM
If you got the tag #s, your LEO should have all that info. Just go file the complaint!

Louis
07-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Due to how they were parked I don't have the plates for either car, but I think knowing the house should be good enough.

OtayBW
07-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Due to how they were parked I don't have the plates for either car, but I think knowing the house should be good enough.
Time for action. 'Swinging by the police on Monday' does not seem like a good plan, and I suspect the police will wonder what is up with your chronology/timing...

jr59
07-25-2015, 05:24 PM

I would get the plate #s and use them. If you use an address, there is a chance that the LEO will think that this is a dispute between people in the neighborhood, and not a hit and run, or such.

Plum Hill
07-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Another option is contacting the Missouri Bike Federation. You will need the license number(s).
http://mobikefed.org/motoristcontact.html
It says it's for members, but they came through for me when someone harassed me on Highway 94 in beautiful downtown Defiance.
Does a letter in the mail have the same clout as a policeman at the door? Who knows, but it gives one heck of a 'big brother is watching' feeling. A lot also depends on how concerned the Wildwood/STL County police are.

cinema
07-25-2015, 06:28 PM
...you can always slash his tires and leave a cryptic note. please don't listen to me.

paulh
07-25-2015, 06:52 PM
"They put one yours in the hospital, you put one of theirs in the morgue".

Don't listen to me either.

rwsaunders
07-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Go Pro and cops.

Wouldn't even kid around.

+1...weirdos like your "neighbor" need to understand that they don't rule the planet. It may actually come as a shock to him.

Louis
07-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the great (not!) ideas guys.

I think I've figured out a third option that is worth trying before going to the cops. Since my first interaction with him was regarding whether or not I really live here I'm going to ask the president of the subdivision association to give him a call (or go see him - the guy is only two houses over, but it's about a 1/4 mile walk). The official "excuse" for making the call will be to confirm that I indeed live here and have a right to ride, but I'll also ask Dave to ask him to "share the road" with me.

This may strike some as wimping out, but I think it's a good intermediate step before escalating. It's less confrontational and maybe more likely to yield positive results. Plus it doesn't rule out going to the cops later.

I'll tell Dave that I was going to go to the cops, but I'm hoping that we can fix things "in house" first.

Don49
07-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Since you've never meet this neighbor before, could you and Dave go together to see him and you could introduce yourself and offer a neighborly handshake? That might defuse whatever problem this guy has got, you are now on a first name basis, and Dave is there to witness if he's a complete jerk. It also makes you more assertive than Dave going alone. That's what I would do.

Louis
07-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Good idea Don.

It avoids the perils of a one-on-one confrontation and hopefully keeps me and the guy on our best behavior.

With an intro like "Because of your concerns expressed the other day when we first met while I was out cycling, I thought I'd come by with Dave to assure you that I am a resident of the subdivision, and I would like to safely share the road with you."

Where he wants to go from there is up to him, and I have a reliable witness if he starts to rant and rave about having bikes on the roads.

buldogge
07-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Screw it...Just knock on his door with a gooey butter cake and a sixer of bud light...new best friends.

-Mark

Louis
07-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Screw it...Just knock on his door with a gooey butter cake and a sixer of bud light...new best friends.

Bud Light? Now you want him to actively take a swipe at me with the car, instead of just staying in the middle of the road? I wouldn't offer that to my worst enemy in the world.

buldogge
07-26-2015, 12:34 AM
I left out the smiley...I wouldn't personally offer either of those things as a peace offering (of course I'm straightedge, and originally from Boston)...but...regular older dude living in W. County might just like it! :beer:

-Mark

Bud Light? Now you want him to actively take a swipe at me with the car, instead of just staying in the middle of the road? I wouldn't offer that to my worst enemy in the world.

JAllen
07-26-2015, 02:47 AM

:) Too true.

Calling Bud Light beer is like calling Taco Bell authentic Mexican food...

Tony T
07-26-2015, 06:18 AM
or calling it Mexican Food :)

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-26-2015, 06:45 AM
or calling it Mexican Food :)

Or food.

Plum Hill
07-30-2015, 08:23 PM
What's the latest news?

Louis
07-30-2015, 10:46 PM
I've driven over to the president of the subdivision's house a few times, but no one's been home. I can't find his phone number to give him a call.

No additional incidents to report, including on today's ride.

OtayBW
07-31-2015, 07:11 AM
I've driven over to the president of the subdivision's house a few times, but no one's been home. I can't find his phone number to give him a call.

No additional incidents to report, including on today's ride.

So, as your thread title (request) was "Three run-ins with a neighbor - confront in person or call the cops?" - I guess the conclusion, as things shake out, is... 'neither'. If this is indeed the guy who pulled this crap on you, you are doing a disservice to yourself and other riders by not somehow putting him on notice that this is unacceptable behavior....IMO...

old fat man
07-31-2015, 07:49 AM
So, as your thread title (request) was "Three run-ins with a neighbor - confront in person or call the cops?" - I guess the conclusion, as things shake out, is... 'neither'. If this is indeed the guy who pulled this crap on you, you are doing a disservice to yourself and other riders by not somehow putting him on notice that this is unacceptable behavior....IMO...

Yup, you should have gone to the police as soon as you figured out the license plate info. Now, you are weeks+ removed from the incidents and the police still no nothing about them.

Get it on record before you try to work it out internally. Even if the police do very little, it is more meaningful in the long term than a slap on the wrist by the sub division president.

If another incident occurs, you should get to the nearest phone or go straight to the police office to file the report. Then they'll question why it took 4 incidents before you said anything, and they probably won't believe you about the previous ones...You're doing yourself a disservice by waiting if you ever want police assistance.